• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to assign Mouse Scrollwheel up on Switch version and it registers as scroll wheel down.
Scrolling wheel down also registers as scroll wheel down. Could it be a polling rate thing?

On the other hand, the mouse supposrt also supports gaming mice buttons (MouseX1, MouseX2), but there's no way to reassign the Quicksave and Quickload keys.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
New glitch I noticed with the teleporters. Some of them give off this, how would you describe it? A hall of mirrors effect, ghosting, I'm not sure, but it's also affecting items that are within its perimeter.

DOPE! Any idea if this means we can use type chat on console now?
If what I've been hearing about the PS version is true, it's all those versions except for that. At least when it comes to the chat box.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
New glitch I noticed with the teleporters. Some of them give off this, how would you describe it? A hall of mirrors effect, ghosting, I'm not sure, but it's also affecting items that are within its perimeter.
Which portals, specifically? We know of only one, the END portal, so if there's others we'll need to be sure they are broken the same way.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it with my Logitech G305 Lightspeed mouse and Logitech Wii Keyboard. They both work remarkably well!

I do get some dropouts on my Wii keyboard, but it could be the battery or just the signals crossing with my Lightspeed reciever. That and the aforementioned Mouse Scroll Up bug. Other than that, I'm doing much better in Dimension of the Machine.

(I tend to encounter mouse input lag when framerate drops in heavy sections of DotM as well. There could be some polling bugs going on.)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I spent some time playing Halo, took notes and told Kaiser "implement this". I don't think it's stealing if they are both owned by the same company now. :V

I have sat down with gameplay programmers several times with Call of Duty and told them to make it feel exactly like that. It works great, and they implement it very quickly. I think the at most I went through three iterations over two days until it was good.

That is the way to do it.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Yeah I spent some time playing Halo, took notes and told Kaiser "implement this". I don't think it's stealing if they are both owned by the same company now. :V

That seems like the perfect approach. I'll buy this when I get home. I tried it on gamepass and it looked incredible, but the look smoothing and acceleration bothered me too much. It's great it's been fixed and if it feels like Halo even better.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did try with a controller originally on PC and thought yeeesh, tried after the new patch and hell yeah it's infinitely more playable. Not that I will but the improvement is considerable, although I did have some oddities with the aim just....... shunting to a completely different position at random. I thought it might be the rumble or me knocking my mouse but, I moved away and it still happened.

The music volume boost is massively appreciated.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone share some setting that feel good for them on joycons for the sticks? Having trouble dialling it in.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
although I did have some oddities with the aim just....... shunting to a completely different position at random. I thought it might be the rumble or me knocking my mouse but, I moved away and it still happened.
That might be the aim assist. Honestly I'd just suggest turning that off for now, we'll keep trying to improve it, but with the way Quake fundamentally works, it may never be quite right.

Is there any chance of this getting a 120fps mode on XSX/PS5?
That is the plan. It'll happen once those platforms have native builds.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Which portals, specifically? We know of only one, the END portal, so if there's others we'll need to be sure they are broken the same way.
I only noticed it in a couple of maps in the multiplayer, but one of them in the Black Cathedral with the yellow armour, and a couple of others in Tomb of the Overlord. I'll let you know if I find any others in due time.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Also, the new patch brings updates to the custom games list. The list can now show up to 69420 games at once, instead of the old DOS 1.09 limit of 16.

No I'm not joking about that number, that's literally the limit on the master server.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is your sysadmin Dave Oshry by any chance?
Hah, well we do live in the same country. Though no in this case it's just because the code I wrote needed a limit somewhere (though hypotactically it can support an unlimited number of entries). So I just wrote the first number I thought of.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for asking this out of the blue, but has the console version been updated to have smoother analog stick camera control? I remember that being a big deal when this launched and was hoping it might have been fixed, as Quake has been on my list of must plays for a while but I'd prefer to play on Switch for the portability, and apparently at least at launch the camera control was pretty "start and stop".

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Sorry for asking this out of the blue, but has the console version been updated to have smoother analog stick camera control? I remember that being a big deal when this launched and was hoping it might have been fixed, as Quake has been on my list of must plays for a while but I'd prefer to play on Switch for the portability, and apparently at least at launch the camera control was pretty "start and stop".
Ye. We rewrote it entirely so the acceleration now only applies at the maximum distance of the stick (and starts for that movement speed, rather than trying to smooth it), and any position before is entirely unfiltered. Much like Halo does.

Oct 25, 2017
Ye. We rewrote it entirely so the acceleration now only applies at the maximum distance of the stick (and starts for that movement speed, rather than trying to smooth it), and any position before is entirely unfiltered. Much like Halo does.
Great! I'm glad to hear it, as I've been trying to find info on any kind of update to that for a while now and was surprised it seemed to have no fix despite being a prominent issue for so many. Thank you for the answer.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Is it possible to unbind the weapon wheel? I have tried changing it to another key so it won't interfere, but it keeps resetting back to Q. I'm trying to bind the Rocket Launcher to Q.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
So the gyro controls for switch are....not great in this! Even on max sensitivity it's kinda....slow? I know that's great for some people but I'm a weirdo who uses extremely high gyro sensitivity and this game DOES NOT cut it. At all.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Same here, don't know what's up with that.

Also I must be the one guy that liked the stick controls before, I'm struggling since the patch. What do I need to change to match the original controls?
The original controls are very gone, and the aren't able to coexist due to the complexity that would require. There were a frankly unorthodox amount of requests for us to rewrite it, so that had to take priority.
Is the max deadzone in the switch version stuck at 6 for anyone else? It won't go higher.
Yeah not sure what's going on there, it doesn't happen on my devkit at all, but mysteriously it does happen on retail units. I think there's some floating point error creeping in that's preventing the slider from advancing to the next unit properly.

Last edited:

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
The original controls are very gone, and the aren't able to coexist due to the complexity that would require. There were a frankly unorthodox amount of requests for us to rewrite it, so that had to take priority.

Thanks for replying. Clearly people wanted something to be done and you delivered. But I was just asking how I should tune my settings post update to theorically match the original controls. Like was there acceleration and aim smoothing going on initially or did you just add them with the update?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks for replying. Clearly people wanted something to be done and you delivered. But I was just asking how I should tune my settings post update to theorically match the original controls. Like was there acceleration and aim smoothing going on initially or did you just add them with the update?
I'm not sure if it's possible, the controls are completely different. The acceleration and smoothing are only applied to when you push the full range of the stick, but any movement beforehand is unfiltered. Before it applied acceleration to everything, starting from 0 (i.e it look your last frame of stick input and then ramped it to the new one over time).
If you find it going too fast, you can tweak the Aim X and Y which act as multipliers to the stick movement, however.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I had gotten so used to the PS5 controls that it took me a good 30 mins of tweaking and then playing around to get used to the improved version lol

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this is answered, but is this not available to buy on PSN anymore?? I can't find it on PS5 or the app
www.playstation.com

Quake – Jogos PS4 e PS5 | PlayStation

Compra Quake para a PS4 e para a PS5. Derrota um mal antigo neste FPS de fantasia sombria, recentemente melhorado para o hardware moderno.
Can't add to cart :/ I'm in Canada if that makes a difference

Same issue here, can't find this on psn in canada. Via either the console or the app. And that link doesn't allow me to purchase 🤔

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure if it's possible, the controls are completely different. The acceleration and smoothing are only applied to when you push the full range of the stick, but any movement beforehand is unfiltered. Before it applied acceleration to everything, starting from 0 (i.e it look your last frame of stick input and then ramped it to the new one over time).
If you find it going too fast, you can tweak the Aim X and Y which act as multipliers to the stick movement, however.

I'll fiddle with it, thanks! Also maybe the ability to bind movement to the d-pad next time? Pretty please!

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
What are the default settings supposed to be for the controllers on xbox after this update? There doesn't seem to be a way to reset to default settings.

Also please please add the time and date of the saves on the load screen. I'm not that familiar with the game so have no idea which my most recent save was half the time.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

PC Gamepass version updated and that happened to my game (but only this level).
Some glitches were pretty fun, not gonna lie.