• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
Kingpin is 3D Realms, we aren't related to that by any means.
Sorry, not sure why I had that on my mind. I had been playing Sin: Gold a few weeks back and didn't know about Sin: Reloaded until I was searching up Sin on the Steam store for the discussion board. Looking forward to that. Been playing a lot of Blood: FS and Quake lately, great work!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing a lot of Blood: Fresh Supply on Steam. Having a great time. This version has issues/needs fixes?

No that version is mostly fine, I meant it more in terms of the source code not being available and that the IP is languishing. It deserves a much better sequel than it got back then. Either that or a full on remake of the original game.

Nov 8, 2017
Speaking of Blood they're still selling Blood 2 on gog and the game needs like 600 hours of troubleshooting to make it run on some computers. I could not get it to run on mine, no matter how many guides I followed and how many fixes I tried.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Speaking of Blood they're still selling Blood 2 on gog and the game needs like 600 hours of troubleshooting to make it run on some computers. I could not get it to run on mine, no matter how many guides I followed and how many fixes I tried.
You should be glad. Blood 2 is a catastrophe from start to finish and just a waste of time at this point, even if you get it to run "properly". I savescummed my way through it a couple years ago and it was a completely miserable experience all the way through. Watch this video instead, at least it's funny watching someone else suffer through it:

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
You should be glad. Blood 2 is a catastrophe from start to finish and just a waste of time at this point, even if you get it to run "properly". I savescummed my way through it a couple years ago and it was a completely miserable experience all the way through. Watch this video instead, at least it's funny watching someone else suffer through it:

Fun fact, the director of Diablo 3, who insulted the creator of Diablo 2 over Hellgate: London, has this piece of shit on his resume.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
For anyone playing on a Mac or PC and looking for more good Quakin', make sure you check out the Alkaline mod. It's a collaboration between different mappers that just released this past June and it's right up there with MachineGames new expansion. Hopefully it gets an official release so people on consoles can play...
Alkaline Mod Website

3ggHu3d.png

PdrzlyQ.jpg

QIqkAIp.png

Ay1lxB7.png

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Now that the game has been out a month and a half or so, has there been a schedule or plan posted for when downloadable add-ons will be available, and what they might be?

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Any tips for nightmare run other than spamming quick save ? Played about half of the original campaign but thinking of starting a fresh one on the highest difficulty. Hope it's not too hard :P

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for nightmare run other than spamming quick save ? Played about half of the original campaign but thinking of starting a fresh one on the highest difficulty. Hope it's not too hard :P
Not really other than don't pickup ammo/armor unless you need one.
But without knowing what lies ahead and where secrets are, Nightmare is well.. nightmare.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never stop moving. 😂 It's not nearly as bad as it might seem at first, and a 50 HP limit is actually really fucking refreshing.

I guess yeah, keep periodic saves so as not to become super frustrated or to force fun limits on yourself!

For anyone playing on a Mac or PC and looking for more good Quakin', make sure you check out the Alkaline mod. It's a collaboration between different mappers that just released this past June and it's right up there with MachineGames new expansion. Hopefully it gets an official release so people on consoles can play...
Alkaline Mod Website

3ggHu3d.png

PdrzlyQ.jpg

QIqkAIp.png

Ay1lxB7.png
Dare I say gorgeous? Wow, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps we can get our own unofficial mod list of forum goer's favorites, since mods are so delicious?

1. Arcane Dimensions
2. Alkaline

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Never stop moving. 😂 It's not nearly as bad as it might seem at first, and a 50 HP limit is actually really fucking refreshing.

I guess yeah, keep periodic saves so as not to become super frustrated or to force fun limits on yourself!

Dare I say gorgeous? Wow, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps we can get our own unofficial mod list of forum goer's favorites, since mods are so delicious?

1. Arcane Dimensions
2. Alkaline
Absolutely. I'd love to get a ResetEra mod recommendations list going. Personally the only other one I've played besides these two is Punishment Due which is a smaller, more traditional mod of five maps, but the level and encounter design is wonderful! It was also released just this year!

Coinciding with the re-release, Robert Yang created a very comprehensive list of his favorite mods on Rock Paper Shotgun last month. That's where I initially heard of these.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Now that the game has been out a month and a half or so, has there been a schedule or plan posted for when downloadable add-ons will be available, and what they might be?
For logistical reasons, there's no timeline that could ever be given. Any possible candidate needs to be QA tested and have all its resources verified to ensure they do all belong to the authors. Arcane Dimensions for example is filled with Hexen 2 textures and couldn't be used, so stuff like that would need to carefully checked in any possible map.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017

Nightmare is a lot of fun, it's hard but fair, only bs thing about it is the spawns and spike mines (from SoA expansion) are basically one hit kill enemies, thankfully on both cases they're pretty uncommon imo.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
For logistical reasons, there's no timeline that could ever be given. Any possible candidate needs to be QA tested and have all its resources verified to ensure they do all belong to the authors. Arcane Dimensions for example is filled with Hexen 2 textures and couldn't be used, so stuff like that would need to carefully checked in any possible map.
Interesting. But isn't Hexen 2 published by id Software/Bethesda themselves? Would it really not be possible to clear those assets in that case?

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Any rumblings of control issues being addressed any time soon?
According to SteamDB ND is pushing changes almost daily, but according to Edward it's up to Bethesda to green light the patch. I'm assuming when it will finally drop they will address this somehow since it's probably the most common criticism regarding this port, but for me the weapon wheel bug is game breaking, so I'm waiting for this to be fixed to continue playing.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
According to SteamDB ND is pushing changes almost daily,
If you're seeing what I think you're seeing, pay absolutely no heed to that. We have a Jenkins server that automatically compiles and uploads builds to a specific "hot branch" as it were and is triggered by absolutely anything including changes to the Kex Engine on completely different games.

As for the potential patch front, I can't get into details but things are far more complex than what they would first seem. Don't go pointing at the usual suspects.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing framerate slowdown in local multiplayer deathmatch (2-player is what I tried) on Episode: Dimension of the Machine, MGDM3: The Mustard Factory, Nintendo Switch version.

All other maps I've played seem to be running smooth, but unless my eyes are playing tricks, the game loses noticeable frames on just this map (but maybe there are others).

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The title IDs for PS5 version updated yesterday on the PSN backend, so hopefully not too far away from the current gen release.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Really interesting interview with Andrew Yoder and Christian 'CZG' Grawert from Machine Games who worked on Dimension of the Machine. They talk about working on the most recent official expansion, their 'Quake Club' and their thoughts and approaches to mapping.

Lil' bits of interest:
  • The 6th unused portal in DotM was originally going to contain 2 additional levels, but due to people falling off from the project they had to consolidate some of the WIP's and scale down to 5 portals.
  • Mappers on the project were essentially free to do whatever they want without having to worry about fitting into a comprehensive theme for the expansion.
  • When asked if they're working on more levels, they give 'no comment' and say they are still mapping and to keep an eye on the add-ons tab... :->
www.youtube.com

Quakecast Machine Games Interview (Yoder & CZG)

@GGRC is back with dumptruck_ds for this special episode dedicated to the creation of "Dimension of the Machine." This is the highly regarded, brand new epis...

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get the sixth portal in the future.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
16 player servers seem to be active, now.
More than likely a hacked executable. While you can do more players via direct IP, we ran into various performance issues with more than 8 players so the playfab networking was limited to 8, and thus if you see a 16 player game in the list, that means the person has changed their executable in such a way to change the lobby limit. Approach with caution.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Update's out on Steam, no patch notes but this is what's shown on the in-game news section:

sOnlzf8.png

I tried controller out and it seems fine to me now, the aim-assist is kinda weird as it'll snap to targets unpredictably but otherwise seems perfectly playable in a way it definitely wasn't before.

You can set binds for specific weapons in the input options now too, so that's nice.

The low-res option seems unchanged though, so it still doesn't look right.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
OMG please have mouse support on console now.

Edit: It's in (PS4 tested)! Menu navigation is weird if you click the mouse though. You have to back up once or twice and then hit a key on the keyboard or button on the controller to get the cursor and navigation back.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried the new update on PS5, and yes the controller aim issues are fixed.

Now, if only Arkane would fix Deathloop