• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can confirm I could not reproduce the issue as a host on The Mustard Factory.
So it does make it seem to be a client lag issue then; the client somehow moving in a way the server doesn't replicate (noting that the server has authority of the clients movements), and then the client fails to reset its position. Dying in the lava itself would just be a red herring to that scenario. The question is why, and why isn't the client prediction resetting.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Bought it.

I haven't played this game in ages and man, I forgot how tense and scary it is. There's something about the abstract architecture and sound design that feels alien and uncomfortable in the best way. Atmosohere is insane.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I got Quake on Switch, loving it.

How is the Xbox 360 version of Quake II that came on a bonus disc with Quake IV?

I prefer playing with a controller and while I could be wrong, Quake II RTX seems to be without a controller option because its still the OG Q2 but fully raytraced.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it.

I haven't played this game in ages and man, I forgot how tense and scary it is. There's something about the abstract architecture and sound design that feels alien and uncomfortable in the best way. Atmosohere is insane.
I played it when it dropped on Gamepass a few weeks ago and I had all the same feelings. Surprising the sound design is that good that it gives the spooky vibes even now. I see the praise for this classic.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really fun.

I know I'm saying something everyone but me figured out in 1996 but this is really, really fun.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I played it when it dropped on Gamepass a few weeks ago and I had all the same feelings. Surprising the sound design is that good that it gives the spooky vibes even now. I see the praise for this classic.

Yea I played for like two or three hours straight and had to stop just because the atmosohere is so oppressive lol. Enemies are really aggressive and the encounter design is always some devious shit. Now I remember why I loved this game so much back in the day.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love love love the weapon wheel, I enjoy keeping the action frantic and just flipping through weapons lol

i also really enjoy how the nightmare difficulty forces you to play. It will probably be the best thing about this port for me, just a total revelation at 50HP.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
How is the Xbox 360 version of Quake II that came on a bonus disc with Quake IV?

Its actually pretty good. Got Quake IV just to get that extra disc back in the day.

60 fps, 1080p, looks like PC at max settings, etc.

Wish Nightdive would remaster it though, with both the software and hardware renderer looks...

Edit: I havent inserted my Quake II 360 disc on my Series X though...will it work?

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this on Game Pass. Other than Perfect Dark and a little bit of Turok this is my first interaction with an old FPS.

Y'all this is so much fucking fun. I just go nyoom and everything explodes and the gothic, macabre art design is lit as hell.

This is really fun.

I know I'm saying something everyone but me figured out in 1996 but this is really, really fun.

this was me last year playing the OG Doom games for the first time - welcome to the boomer shooter fan club!

the remasters for Doom 1, 2, and 64 are also absolutely incredible

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this was me last year playing the OG Doom games for the first time - welcome to the boomer shooter fan club!

the remasters for Doom 1, 2, and 64 are also absolutely incredible
The sprites put me off but I'll give them another look.

Are there any other games on console like this? I have a Switch as well.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Dimension of the Machine and loved it. Fantastic job MachineGames and Nightdive. But it didn't satisfy me, so I went and played Arcane Dimensions since I needed more Quake.

Holy mother of... This mod is indeed superb. And way more difficult than even the Dimension of the Machine. I can't play this on hard unless I'm cheating.

Finished the bog level and with that music in the background this was quite stressful.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The sprites put me off but I'll give them another look.

Are there any other games on console like this? I have a Switch as well.

Doom 1, 2 and 64 are great ports/remasters but I just dont enjoy them nearly as much as Quake. I would rate them 40/100 on my "overall enjoyment scale". Quake is a 95/100.

Doubtful. None of the other Quake games are BC with either Bone or Series. Not even Arena Arcade.

Dammit. Yet another reason why Nightdive/Besthesda should remaster it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were probably around when we sung the praises for Turok 1+2 in the eShop thread some time ago. Turok 1 is specifically also very much like Quake.

Dusk is coming out soon.
Oh man Dusk...

One of the best Quake like games ever made. It manages to be a classic shooter and it's own thing to boot. Game is an instant classic.

Anybody who loved Quake should give it a try. It is that good.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Turok 1 very much. Is Turok 2 better? What's Dusk?
Turok 2 doesn't really stand the test of time like Quake and Doom IMO. It's a fun jaunt but it's marred by some really annoying labyrinthe level design.

Dusk is a throwback shooter with many similarities to Quake/Doom but also to stuff like Half Life. It's a great game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ugh don't sleep on Doom 64, it's wonderful.

I actually bought Doom 64 Day 1 back in the day and I still love that game. I've been playing Doom 64 EX, Brutal Doom 64 and every other iteration I can get my hands on since. If anyone is at all into Doom, they should play it in my opinion. Level design, and especially sound design/soundtrack, are superb.

Quake and Doom 64 are specific examples why I've been let down with the Doom reboots myself. I've always been a massive fan of the ultra-atmospheric, dark direction those two took. Especially on higher difficulties they could be straight-up oppressive and terrifying. There's also a PC mod for PSX/Playstation Doom, which is its own beast as well in some respects (and my favorite FPS ever) that I highly fucking recommend.

Also...I've been completely hooked on Quake again. I hadn't played it in ages and it's such a great game.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom 64 was a pleasant surprise for me as well. Part of (what I would expect to be the majority) crew that thought it was just another Doom port for the N64.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Its actually pretty good. Got Quake IV just to get that extra disc back in the day.

60 fps, 1080p, looks like PC at max settings, etc.

Wish Nightdive would remaster it though, with both the software and hardware renderer looks...

Edit: I havent inserted my Quake II 360 disc on my Series X though...will it work?

Get Quake 2 RTX! It's really spectacular. No need for a remaster :)

Oct 30, 2017
Turok 2 doesn't really stand the test of time like Quake and Doom IMO. It's a fun jaunt but it's marred by some really annoying labyrinthe level design.

Dusk is a throwback shooter with many similarities to Quake/Doom but also to stuff like Half Life. It's a great game.

Love Dusk. Why is it not on Switch yet? my fav of the oldschool shooter revivals imo.

Speaking of shooters on switch, i would love to see Blood on there...please?

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Speaking of shooters on switch, i would love to see Blood on there...please?
That's all on Atari's hands. And they've been relatively stubborn regarding Blood, not just for releases, but also any further fixes for the Fresh Supply version. They won't even release, or even give commercial devs access to the game's source code, which is why that version is the way it is, with so many issues left unresolved.

Oct 30, 2017
That's all on Atari's hands. And they've been relatively stubborn regarding Blood, not just for releases, but also any further fixes for the Fresh Supply version. They won't even release, or even give commercial devs access to the game's source code, which is why that version is the way it is, with so many issues left unresolved.
Man, that's such a bummer. Blood is so good. Would love to see it get out into console gamer hands and more fixes.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucks with this low res mode so much. ❤️ Memories of my Saturn live on in Dreamz...

I'm ultra positive everyone is aware of how popular Arcane Dimensions is, would be pretty dope to see it offered under the official mods list like SATURN X with the new Doom releases.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Heresy.

Turok 2 is a fantastic FPS that doesn't leave anything to be desired to any other, past or present. Just make sure to get the remastered version.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I didn't like Turok 1 very much. Is Turok 2 better? What's Dusk?

Dusk is the closest think to the Quake I experience from an aesthetic perspective I think. You can also play it with a controller very well.

Turok 1 and Turok 2 are complicated, the minute to minute gameplay is fun, but the map sizes and overall labyrinth layout annoy me.

The remasters are GREAT, but they cant fix the original maps. I didnt play Turok 2 for 2 weeks and when I returned I was SO LOST that I uninstalled the game in frustration (circling for hours in empty areas you already fought everyone in, is a literal waste of time).

Quake and Dusk do not have this problem.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Remember that they actually addressed certain infamous level layout issues in the NightDive remaster, though.

Love Dusk. Why is it not on Switch yet? my fav of the oldschool shooter revivals imo.
because the porting apparently took a whole extra year (it was sort of teased for Halloween LAST year after being announced earlier that year). you can currently preorder the physical release from LRG until October 3rd.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Thanks, 2 problems though:
  • I can not run it on my 1060GTX
  • It doesnt really look like Quake II. Its not really a remaster, more like a mod with completely different aesthetics. I prefer the original "brown" look and texture work over the "what seems randomly placed textures" RTX version.

Yeah, you need quite some beefy specs. On my 2080Ti I can get around 60 fps on 1440p in that thing. I personally did not think the atmosphere is diminished in the RTX version at all. If anything it looked better to me than on my 3DFX card back in the day; it still looks very brown! Light and shadow effects (including reflections) are fascinating to look at in motion. I wasn't aware it received new texture work :o

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, you need quite some beefy specs.

Specs aren't the problem, the hassle of getting a RTX GPU at around MSRP is. There is no way an RTX exclusive can be considered a public release until this silicon crisis resolves, if it ever does.

A Q2 remaster by Nightdive would be very much welcomed.

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Yeah, you need quite some beefy specs. On my 2080Ti I can get around 60 fps on 1440p in that thing. I personally did not think the atmosphere is diminished in the RTX version at all. If anything it looked better to me than on my 3DFX card back in the day; it still looks very brown! Light and shadow effects (including reflections) are fascinating to look at in motion. I wasn't aware it received new texture work :o

Reflections and all the effects you get from having RTX are usually very nice, but the game looks dramatically different. Its no longer Quake II in that front to me.

A real Remaster should still give you that original aesthetic-look vibe.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
The remasters are GREAT, but they cant fix the original maps. I didnt play Turok 2 for 2 weeks and when I returned I was SO LOST that I uninstalled the game in frustration (circling for hours in empty areas you already fought everyone in, is a literal waste of time).
They also dont have aim assist on consoles so aiming kinda feels like a chore at times, having to aim more with moving into position rather than actually using the right stick.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Doom 64 is easily my fav Doom game, wonderful level design and an atmosphere second to none. But most of all I just really love how it looks, so beautiful, and the remaster makes it even better!

It always bothered me that it didn't get enough respect back at release, even with other N64 fans. I know we had heeaps of FPS greatness on the system but still felt like Doom 64 got unwarrantedly chucked into the 'old' bin.

But I'm happy with time it went from cult classic to now known greatness! :)

Last edited:

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
if anyone wants to join me in some Dimension of the Machine on Nightmare, I just opened a lobby. room code is TWGM.

Also, it would be cool if there was a little alert sound when someone joined your lobby.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I can appreciate doom 64, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed playing it for the first time. I like the aesthetic, I like how some of the levels change, but I thought the level design was a little clunky at times.

Maybe I need to give it another go, but yeah much prefer the original doom over it.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
That's the first and last time I bother playing through Dissolution of Eternity, oi. Bland layouts, absolutely no weapon or ammo balance, and who the fuck thought those tremors were a good gameplay mechanic?