• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
On a side note I tried low res on undocked Switch for the first time today and strangely it looks different from the 1080p rendering. Does low res render at the same internal resolution regardless of actual screen res?
It does, specifically it puts the game into a 320x240 mode. And I suspect that might be why it can look different. The output may have a different kind of look depending on if it can integer scale or not.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Currently working my way through Dimensions of the Machine.

By far the best FPS I've played this year. I never bothered to play Quake before (even though my mate at the time told me I was missing out. Correct) but man I honestly feel that this is ids best FPS game. I def prefer this to every other game they've made.

I really do hope that Machine Games tackle a new Quake and go full on deep into the lovecraftian vibe.

I'm a huge Doom fan and I agree. They perfected the Doom formula while nailing true 3D gameplay and level design on the first try. Incredible game that holds up 100%. Doesn't make mistakes like the city stages in Doom 2 that make an otherwise all time great game drag.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Doom fan and I agree. They perfected the Doom formula while nailing true 3D gameplay and level design on the first try. Incredible game that holds up 100%. Doesn't make mistakes like the city stages in Doom 2 that make an otherwise all time great game drag.
Agreed.

And I think id themselves know this considering how much stuff they reused in Doom 4 and Eternal.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Agreed.

And I think id themselves know this considering how much stuff they reused in Doom 4 and Eternal.

It's stunning how frantic things can get in Quake considering game mechanics are so simple. Eternal feels slow at times compared to this game. Boss encounters aside this is the perfect shooter as far as I'm concerned. And this remaster really does it justice.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
It's stunning how frantic things can get in Quake considering game mechanics are so simple. Eternal feels slow at times compared to this game. Boss encounters aside this is the perfect shooter as far as I'm concerned. And this remaster really does it justice.
Agreed.

I think a big reason for that is the lack of glory kills. Each encounter can kill you really easily which makes them really tense and fast. While Eternal is plenty fast and very challenging, the glory killing and chainsaw makes things a bit more forgiving.

I also feel the levels being shorter makes it much more enjoyable to play. They barely feel exhausting if you just want to play for a bit and most levels have gimmicks wether through the enemies or the level design or both.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
My god.

Just hit the second level of the Realm of the Cultists. That twist to the level has honestly made my week.

*chef kiss*

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Scourge of Armagon, first time playing and man I'm sp impressed, enjoyed it as much as the original. Onto the next!

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Dimension of the Machine - that was absolutely incredible. Agree with the post on the last page that it's the best FPS campaign i've played this year.

What an fantastic remaster. Really enjoyed all these expansions being included - Dimensions of the Past and Scourge of Armagon in particular.

One thing I was wondeirng - would Dimension of the Machine have been possible back in the day, or is it taking advantage of extra features somehow / or just extra power the PC/Console playing this remaster has?

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Dimension of the Machine is fucking incredible… well, except for the final boss but bosses in these games are usually a bit crap so go figure. But the rest, whew.

Gimme that Machinegames Quake reboot.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I was wondeirng - would Dimension of the Machine have been possible back in the day, or is it taking advantage of extra features somehow / or just extra power the PC/Console playing this remaster has?
Mappers have very much pushed the Quake engine to its limits in ways that were genuinely unimaginable when the engine itself was cutting edge. I don't have the best grasp of Quake's technical implementation, but computers of the era would've choked on these and I can illustrate the difference with a quick numbers comparison:

Adding up the filesize of every map .pak in the game except for DotM comes to 336 MB.

Dimension of the Machine is 742 MB.

Even aside from the colored lighting that the vanilla engine didn't support, modern Quake mapping uses drastically more geometric and texture detail than vintage Quake mapping, and they also tend to straight up be bigger. Source ports had to start raising the caps on hardcoded engine limits to allow for large, detailed maps like these to even run.

Last edited:

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Mappers have very much pushed the Quake engine to its limits in ways that were genuinely unimaginable when the engine itself was cutting edge. I don't have the best grasp of Quake's technical implementation, but computers of the era would've choked on these and I can illustrate the difference with a quick numbers comparison:

Adding up the filesize of every map .pak in the game except for DotM comes to 336 MB.

Dimension of the Machine is 742 MB.

Even aside from the colored lighting that the vanilla engine didn't support, modern Quake mapping uses drastically more geometric and texture detail than vintage Quake mapping, and they also tend to straight up be bigger. Source ports had to start raising the caps on hardcoded engine limits to allow for large, detailed maps like these to even run.

Interesting thank you! Yeah the coloured lighting stood out right away, as well as way more things being rounded rather than square.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So, I recently (re)played Quake 2 and I'm really divided in answering the question which is the best Quake game. They are more different than I was making it up to be from memory, and although I think Quake 2 is overall more accomplished in terms of design, particularly those relevant to gunplay, it also struggles a lot in the end and have some choices that seems to shackle it rather than improve the game. I don't know if it's the remaster, but Quake felt more... wholesome.

Also, the expansions of Quake 2 shows how you can decrease the overall of a well design game by screwing up in other places. Especially Ground Zero. Some enemies in that campaign are awful. Screw those turrets!

Also also, I really want a Quake 2 remaster like the first game...

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
So, I recently (re)played Quake 2 and I'm really divided in answering the question which is the best Quake game. They are more different than I was making it up to be from memory, and although I think Quake 2 is overall more accomplished in terms of design, particularly those relevant to gunplay, it also struggles a lot in the end and have some choices that seems to shackle it rather than improve the game. I don't know if it's the remaster, but Quake felt more... wholesome.

Also, the expansions of Quake 2 shows how you can decrease the overall of a well design game by screwing up in other places. Especially Ground Zero. Some enemies in that campaign are awful. Screw those turrets!

I always found Quake 2 a bit dreary and boring. The engine upgrades were hugely important of course and particularly the gunplay and reactivity of the enemy animation system is nice, but the map design is more "realistic", far less vertical and just less interesting in general. IMHO it gets repetitive quickly in single player whereas the Quake level design is abstract, creative and just plain weird in places which keeps it fresh till the end.

Multiplayer is a different story of course, but I never got into that on either game.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Any plans on fixing the environment related bugs for The Boiler and Mustard Factory for multiplayer? That is:

• Touching lava will have you continue to lose health and armour even after leaving it.
  • And the teleporter to the quad damage in Mustard having you acquire the power up from outside it, but any attempt to go further will have you fall into the lava in the quad's room.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This isn't a mechanic Quake has. This sounds more like a client lag issue and you never actually left the pit. I can't do much about you lagging.
I can confirm experiencing problems with the lava at the bottom of the Mustard Factory multiple times that haven't appeared lag related. I've never had problems with burning while outside of the lava on any other map.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
This isn't a mechanic Quake has. This sounds more like a client lag issue and you never actually left the pit. I can't do much about you lagging.
Thing is it keeps on going until death, even if you have full health. If this is ping related, then that would require the game having lag that would have the match border on, it not altogether being unplayable.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but.. Quake 2 Capture the Flag. Those were the days…

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I can confirm experiencing problems with the lava at the bottom of the Mustard Factory multiple times that haven't appeared lag related. I've never had problems with burning while outside of the lava on any other map.
Thing is it keeps on going until death, even if you have full health. If this is ping related, then that would require the game having lag that would have the match border on, it not altogether being unplayable.
Right, but again, this isn't a mechanic Quake has. There's no code here for me to address on this alleged issue. It'll be investigated but what you're describing is a red herring.

I am curious though, does this ever happen if you're the host?

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Did they patch the controls on PS5? I hated it on release, dropped it after 1h. Retried it today and it's surprisingly playable somehow?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Only real non-performance/glitch problem I've had with Dimension of the Machine is the feeling that it blew its load early with Realm of the Blacksmiths, both visually and level design/gameplay wise (tho Realm of the Cultists comes close on both fronts).

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Right, but again, this isn't a mechanic Quake has. There's no code here for me to address on this alleged issue. It'll be investigated but what you're describing is a red herring.

I am curious though, does this ever happen if you're the host?
I haven't tried it as the host but as the other user said it's always until death but I'm assuming if it is lag the host sees you as in the lava. It has happened every time I've played the map.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Had a blast playing co-op with some randos online tonight. King Painboo, sorry about the sudden disconnect, my Switch battery died.

If anyone's down for some co-op Dimension of the Machine on Hard, I'm jumping back on right now - Room Code is MJJK
Also, Anyone know if it's possible to use chat on Switch?

Sound on these

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Add me to the list of people experiencing the issue in Mustard Factory. You fall into the trap, but are free to walk around the level until all the life is substracted. Happens frequently but not all the time.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Add me to the list of people experiencing the issue in Mustard Factory. You fall into the trap, but are free to walk around the level until all the life is substracted. Happens frequently but not all the time.
And I'll once again ask: Does this happen if you're the host? This is one of those issues where more data is more important than repetition.

Is there a way to type chat on Switch? I plugged in a keyboard and the controls worked, but I couldn't figure out how to open the chat box
The keyboard isn't even supposed to work on the Switch at the moment, so no.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
The keyboard isn't even supposed to work on the Switch at the moment, so no.
Yea, I was surprised. It works completely, even the numbered weapon selection. I plugged in a mouse to see if I could get the whole setup going, but no luck. The scroll wheel weapon select worked, though.

The chaos of playing through the co-op online is giving me some serious Sven Coop nostalgia and I love it.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
This. Q2 multiplay is king.
But its not a game (multiplay) that should be played on a console.

I used to think that but the implementation of gyro aiming on this port is just flawless, I can rocket jump all night on Switch. You can have fun playing against PC players, at least on platforms supporting gyro.

Edit: Also I have very fond memories of Q2 MP but at this point just bring Q3 altogether!

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think that but the implementation of gyro aiming on this port is just flawless, I can rocket jump all night on Switch. You can have fun playing against PC players, at least on platforms supporting gyro.

Edit: Also I have very fond memories of Q2 MP but at this point just bring Q3 altogether!

I agree Q3 did a good job. But Q2 has some extra tricks like double jump on boxes.
The Edge level is something special.

As someone who is winning matches regularly against PC players on Switch in handheld and on Xbox I disagree. Once I got used to the controller I can easily hang with most PC folks.

It's really , reall FAR on par with keyboard & mouse.
I'm a big switch fan, and gyro aim is king when it comes to consoles.
But if we look at on how accurate something is for amining, mouse wins still by far.

It's like this : mouse >>>>>>>>>> Gryo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Analog sticks only >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dpad

I'm leaving touchscreen out of the list for now. Maybe steamdeck will be closer to mouse with there trackpad. (Maybe)
About winning to Pc players, yes that could be the case when their are casual players.
But playing with hardcore players using a railgun (q2, q3) which needs to be accurate as possible, you don't have change imo.
Again it's the best implementation for consoles for sure, but it does not replace a mouse.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I agree Q3 did a good job. But Q2 has some extra tricks like double jump on boxes.
The Edge level is something special.

It's really , reall FAR on par with keyboard & mouse.
I'm a big switch fan, and gyro aim is king when it comes to consoles.
But if we look at on how accurate something is for amining, mouse wins still by far.

It's like this : mouse >>>>>>>>>> Gryo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Analog sticks only >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dpad

I'm leaving touchscreen out of the list for now. Maybe steamdeck will be closer to mouse with there trackpad. (Maybe)
About winning to Pc players, yes that could be the case when their are casual players.
But playing with hardcore players using a railgun (q2, q3) which needs to be accurate as possible, you don't have change imo.
Again it's the best implementation for consoles for sure, but it does not replace a mouse.

Everything you wrote is true but the key thing is that this remaster's purpose is to provide a « casual » (I hate the term but can't come up with another one) experience. It won't replace QuakeWorld. And in that regard the gyro implementation is top notch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this on Game Pass. Other than Perfect Dark and a little bit of Turok this is my first interaction with an old FPS.

Y'all this is so much fucking fun. I just go nyoom and everything explodes and the gothic, macabre art design is lit as hell.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Fantastic port! Unsure if this is a bug but in the last few days, both Quake and Quake II RTX have gotten a few hundred kb in Steam patches - is this normal?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played Q1 and Q2 immediately one after another before and what a stark contrast. Quake 2 is so..... slow. Changing weapons is slow, shooting (certain weapons) is slow, enemies are slow. Well at least super shotgun feels awesome.