• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also a lot better than Dimension of the Past. It has its fuck you moments but it avoids the Shambler and Vore spam.
Dimension of the Past had weird moments. Ammo scarcity hit me like a truck. Especially after secret level where I had to use tons of ammo, going forward I had almost nothing. Kinda weird how up to this moment I only cared about blasting enemies in fun ways and shooting walls looking for secrets, and now all that was on my mind is looking for ammo. Thankfully Dimension of the Machine isn't like that and I don't feel ammo scarcity, at least not yet and I'm more than halfway done.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm playing Quake 2 right now and it's funny how after playing Quake I'm extremely bothered by how long it takes you to switch weapons. One of the things I loved about Quake is how effortless it makes to use a lot of guns. Quake 2 has a similar gameplay, and so taking a few seconds to switch weapons has a very strong effect on the game...

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm playing Quake 2 right now and it's funny how after playing Quake I'm extremely bothered by how long it takes you to switch weapons. One of the things I loved about Quake is how effortless it makes to use a lot of guns. Quake 2 has a similar gameplay, and so taking a few seconds to switch weapons has a very strong effect on the game...
have you checked the settings? or googled console commands for fastswitch? Half Life which is based on the Q2 engine has this so I see no world in which Quake 2 doesn't also have this.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a bug? Was playing the second expansion, went to the hard gate, was exploring to find the nightmare gate, entered but then I had second thoughts, returned to the intro with the three gates, went to hard gate again and game is set on easy.

At first it was weird I didn't find too many enemies, but later confirmed it with the console.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I love the minimal HUD option but one thing I hope they consider including is having your weapon inventory and ammo present somewhere. You can only really gauge your arsenal using the quickwheel when the HUD is like that, but I prefer using weapon hotkeys instead.

It would be nice having a QuakeWorld style inventory where the ammo and weapons are listed on the side.

9rITdJ2.png

Or maybe having an option for a QuakeSpasm-style minimal HUD.

zNfwVGE.png

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Does this graphical weirdness shows up on any other hardware (Switch here)? It shows up when you have a power up going and is still there in high res but less prominent. Doesn't seem to be tied to AO or dynamic shadows.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody post screenshots of what low-res mode looks like on console? It doesn't look right at all on PC and I don't know why. Someone tweeted a low-res mode Xbox screenshot and it looks way better.

Edit: Has Nightdive or anyone else at least acknowledged this?

AFAIK that's not a problem, that's the intent. The way mine is shown is a bug. You can even see artifacts of the filtering between the number sprites for the health. The way I can replicate it is by having DOF enabled when starting the game.

The way the walls and floors on your pic get smoothed at a distance still doesn't look quite right. I saw an off-screen pic of the console version look more akin to how it seems it should look, which is how I played in Quakespasm with a lower rendering scale.

8ju6MHE.jpg

See this is what I'm talking about. That looks like half scale maybe? This is what Quakespasm looks like for me at quarter scale. It's not the exact same resolution the game ran at in 1996 but it's probably a close enough approximation that fits into modern 16:9 displays.

rTwsahV.jpeg

Last edited:

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Can anybody post screenshots of what low-res mode looks like on console? It doesn't look right at all on PC and I don't know why. Someone tweeted a low-res mode Xbox screenshot and it looks way better.

Edit: Has Nightdive or anyone else at least acknowledged this?

See this is what I'm talking about. That looks like half scale maybe? This is what Quakespasm looks like for me at quarter scale. It's not the exact same resolution the game ran at in 1996 but it's probably a close enough approximation that fits into modern 16:9 displays.

rTwsahV.jpeg

A resolution scaling slider would be a nice addition to this remaster actually.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
A resolution scaling slider would be a nice addition to this remaster actually.
That's what's weird -- Nightdive's other remasters on PC have resolution scale sliders. Turok 2 and Forsaken have sliders where you can go from 100 percent scale all the way down to 10 percent, in increments of 10. I wish they'd let you do it at least in increments of 5, because 25 percent seems to be a nice sweet spot.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Quake 2 remaster with the CTF multiplayer would be awesome.
I know the dev earlier said it would be hard, but theres gotta be a way to replay these games for the new generation!

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Quake 2 remaster with the CTF multiplayer would be awesome.
I know the dev earlier said it would be hard, but theres gotta be a way to replay these games for the new generation!

He didn't quite say remastering the game would be difficult, just that supporting existing mods would be practically impossible. But I think it's safe to assume Quake 1 was remastered because there's a reboot in the works that revisits the gothic horror theme, so I don't see a Quake 2 remaster happening unless there's a similar situation, which, given Quake 2 eventually got a sequel, seems decidedly unlikely at this juncture.

Jun 24, 2021
I have no nostalgia for this game but I very much enjoyed classic Doom 1&2 as well as D64 when I played them for the first time in their remastered versions on Switch. Is it safe to assume I'll like this Quake remaster as well?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quake 64 Nightmare is extra brutal, the new 50HP limit plus all the old grenade and shambler electric spam of old lmao

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is fuck Spawns. Who the fuck thought they were a good enemy?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I love this. This is my peak asthetic for video games. Clean, simple, yet interesting geometry with so much atmosphere and character.

I had similar thoughts playing Quake, particularly that campaign. In many ways, in terms of geometry and graphics, you really don't need more than that. You already have everything you need to create interesting level and encounters design. If you add a little bit more tech in terms of enemies (ie like weak points) and movement (ie grabbing ledges) you basically can create a FPS that will leave nothing to be desired compared to modern ones.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this has been asked already but when I try to play online on switch it says 'checking multiplayer entitlements' then nothing happens. I can't move on from that point. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I assume this has been asked already but when I try to play online on switch it says 'checking multiplayer entitlements' then nothing happens. I can't move on from that point. Does anyone know how to fix this?
This is an indication that you're failing to get a proper response from the authentication server. Make sure you haven't been cheating at animal crossing (internet time sync must be on and in the right timezone), make sure nothing is blocking your access to https://nso-entitlements.silver.idtech.services (if it's working, it will say the message "missing authentication token" from your web browser), and if all else fails reboot your Switch (hold down the power button, hit power options -> restart).

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Wrath of Aeon any good? I hear great things, but I am very wary of Early Access.
Might want to check Arcane Dimensions instead (at least until Wrath is done).

www.moddb.com

Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake

An alternative universe of Quake featuring new game play features, a massive variety of monsters and 30+ maps to explore!

Speaking of which, has anyone tried AD with this new Quake build on Steam, does it work?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I disabled cross-play (because good luck playing against Windows users with their mouses) and got 0 matches, 0 everything :(

I wanted some co-op at least (managed to play a bit like that at launch)

I wonder which platform is performing the best so far? Achievements in the Xbox are telling me that pretty much no one is paying the expansion packs.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Bit of a bug going on here, considering CTF hasn't been implemented yet.

quake_screenie.jpg

Checked in, just plain ol' deathmatch.
That was probably Team deathmatch, then. The teamplay and CTF functions are still there, they just have no UI due to there being no good way to sort teams at the moment (they go by the player's set colour, rather than an actual team value, making that a bit weird to make any kind of user UI for).

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
That was probably Team deathmatch, then. The teamplay and CTF functions are still there, they just have no UI due to there being no good way to sort teams at the moment (they go by the player's set colour, rather than an actual team value, making that a bit weird to make any kind of user UI for).
No, I entered the game itself and it was definitely regular deathmatch. No difference whatsoever.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
No, I entered the game itself and it was definitely regular deathmatch. No difference whatsoever.
They probably changed it then within the time window. It's up to the lobby to report its own status, so if it says it's teamplay, then it was teamplay within a 20 second to 1 minute window. The match browser isn't that far different from an old school master server list.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I've been trying to get into an online match on the Switch version for days and I just can't, and I tested other online games on the console and they work just fine. Any recomendations on what can I do?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It never loads or just loses connection after a couple of minutes.
There's about 5 different moving parts to online play, so you'll need to explain where you are, what you're doing, exactly what you're getting and when. The timing, location and result drastically changes where the potential problem is for you.

Use a video if you can, that may simplify things.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
There's about 5 different moving parts to online play, so you'll need to explain where you are, what you're doing, exactly what you're getting and when. The timing, location and result drastically changes where the potential problem is for you.

Use a video if you can, that may simplify things.
I'm not an expert on this, so I just selected matchmaking deathmatch, which seems to be the main mode, and it always says that it was not possible to connect with other players and such, and I have tried some of the other options and the same happens.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm not an expert on this, so I just selected matchmaking deathmatch, which seems to be the main mode, and it always says that it was not possible to connect with other players and such, and I have tried some of the other options and the same happens.
Okay, so you're actually getting to the online menu, so all the authentication is working and you have a connection to the initial services. What about starting a custom match, does that work?

If it doesn't, make sure you haven't been cheating at animal crossing (internet time sync must be on in the system settings and in the right timezone), and reboot your Switch (hold down the power button, hit power options -> restart). Playfab requires your time and date to be very correct for the encrypted tunnel to work.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Okay, so you're actually getting to the online menu, so all the authentication is working and you have a connection to the initial services. What about starting a custom match, does that work?

If it doesn't, make sure you haven't been cheating at animal crossing (internet time sync must be on in the system settings and in the right timezone), and reboot your Switch (hold down the power button, hit power options -> restart). Playfab requires your time and date to be very correct for the encrypted tunnel to work.
I don't own AC:NH, but there was a slight mistake with my time zone and I fixed it and it worked. Thanks!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I completely missed out on Quake in 1996/1997 due to not having a PC. It wasnt until fall 1999 that I had a gaming capable PC in the house. I wonder what it would've been like to play GL Quake and Quake Ii on a P3-450 coupled with a TNT2 Ultra. Awesome, I'm sure, cause that rig ran Quake III Arena at least 60fps. But I was too busy trying to come to grips with Falcon 4.0. Other than Q3, I didnt really get into first person shooters much.