• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
The machinegames expansions are wonderful. The level design and aesthetic are great.

Finally got through the entire game + expansions on hard.

So fun!

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
I had. We can still hope for sooner rather than later. ;)

Edit: But yeah, this is totally the same update as reported on Steam. I tested just now and there are patch notes only indicating this, and the look sensitivity options and functionality remain unchanged.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Xbox version played fine for me over the weekend, beat the first three Episodes on Series X. Achievement percentage was below 2% for each one on standard difficulty in Single player so I imagine everyone is either playing co-op/multi or bounced off the game hard.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
There was an update today and now the console commands in the pc version aren't working. Which is weird.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Xbox version played fine for me over the weekend, beat the first three Episodes on Series X. Achievement percentage was below 2% for each one on standard difficulty in Single player so I imagine everyone is either playing co-op/multi or bounced off the game hard.
This percentage is bound to be skewed for an old school FPS that has mass availability on Game Pass. I can't imagine the number of people who downloaded it, played it for an hour and deleted it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the second expansion on Nightmare!

Love that whole expansion. Full Exhumed vibes. Sphinx, tombs, mummies, zombies, haunted libraries etc.

On to the new expansions! 650/1000 achievements down…

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think too much of this patch. It's was a quick push of a couple of very specific cherry picked fixes we needed to get out first, related to custom matches (due to some legacy Quake code shenanigans).

No worries, while I am waiting for a controls patch before I play it again on xbox, I'm still loving it on PC :D

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
So, I never played the original Quake before. I gave it a try years ago and just didn't much care for it.

Friend and I went through the first episode tonight in co-op on Nightmare and it's been enjoyable. Just the right amount of carefree run and gun I needed.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Isn't that just a graphic update though? Or does it iron out the game like Quake remastered did?
It's a graphical tech demo of a fully ray-traced render pipeline. It's otherwise still unaltered Quake2, and even connects to the same servers for multiplayer. Though it does have a slightly punched up menu and built in server browser.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Also, for anybody interested, this patch also fixed the bug where the game would go back to the demo run when you tried to load a save from the main menu the first time.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Still my favorite enemies ever. They seem better animated. Once I realized I could save scum I did the beat first level on nightmare for the achievement ha

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Have they mentioned if Quake 2 might get this remastered treatment?

No but I'd be super into it. Just like with Q1 I never played the expansions. So getting a remaster with everything bundle together and maybe a new campaign from Machine Games again would be awesome. Oh and mods with maybe the console campaigns already included.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite enemies ever. They seem better animated. Once I realized I could save scum I did the beat first level on nightmare for the achievement ha
They are really fun to fight.

All enemies feel very different compared to most classic shooters. Like compare it to Doom or Duke 3D. Most of them function the same but in this game all enemies are really unique. Even the spawn which is one of the most annoying enemy is pretty unique.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah throw me in the pile of people who want the same treatment for Quake 2. The RTX version doesn't count.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
No but I'd be super into it. Just like with Q1 I never played the expansions. So getting a remaster with everything bundle together and maybe a new campaign from Machine Games again would be awesome. Oh and mods with maybe the console campaigns already included.
If we or anybody did Quake 2, mods would be the only thing that couldn't happen, or at least the existing ones. Quake 2 has a very unfortunate SDK API that's native code dependent (they run as DLLs or other library objects), which means all the mods are compiled and designed for x86 Windows (yes, that's 32bit windows). You couldn't run them on consoles, and you can't even run them with a 64 bit executable.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If we or anybody did Quake 2, mods would be the only thing that couldn't happen, or at least the existing ones. Quake 2 has a very unfortunate SDK API that's native code dependent (they run as DLLs or other library objects), which means all the mods are compiled and designed for x86 Windows (yes, that's 32bit windows). You couldn't run them on consoles, and you can't even run them with a 64 bit executable.

Too bad. Expansion packs and possibly the console campaigns would be possible though? Or would console campaigns not be possible because they would need to be implemented like a mod?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Too bad. Expansion packs and possibly the console campaigns would be possible though? Or would console campaigns not be possible because they would need to be implemented like a mod?
They are technically mods, yes, but assuming the source code for them is available the expansion packs would at least be doable because their libraries can be recompiled or changed as necessary.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Shame. Would Quake III also be out of the question for mods if someone were to do that?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's a graphical tech demo of a fully ray-traced render pipeline. It's otherwise still unaltered Quake2, and even connects to the same servers for multiplayer. Though it does have a slightly punched up menu and built in server browser.

Thanks. I also don't have a RTX capable card so I that makes me not playing it less sad.

Indeed, I mentioned here before, but the latest campaign was the best Quake content by far. Fantastic all around.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I also don't have a RTX capable card so I that makes me not playing it less sad.
Don't feel sad about this at all. After playing Q1 Remaster and especially seeing how the new expansions look like I'm in love with that art style and I don't even want to play Q2 RTX.

Q2 RTX looks like a cartoon a lot of the time. Atmosphere is ruined and some of remastered textures are gaudy and completely do not fit Quake 2 style. It's a cool tech demo, but it's not really Quake 2. I'm eagerly awaiting Q2 Remaster to be made in the same true-to-the-original spirit as the first game was.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Shame. Would Quake III also be out of the question for mods if someone were to do that?
I believe so*. This same SDK design existed for Doom 3 as well (which is partly why BFG edition seemingly stripped out the SDK support as to make things not frustrating to port to consoles, at least from my understanding).

*Edit: Well, sort of. Quake III had both native libraries and a thing called QVM that could do platform agnostic mods. It was used in conjunction PK3 check summing system that could be used a primitive cheat detection as well. So Quake III would actually be possible to keep any mods that used QVM properly.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell or Dark Water is PURE EVIL. Dimension of the Machine is incredible.

ezgif-7-3341a82d04bcdijbx.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, really gotta shout out Dimension of the Machine. Not sure if it's status as an expansion or mod affects eligibility for GoTY, but I would have it in my top ten. Just a fucking fantastic campaign.

Oct 26, 2017
Scourge of Armagon is like a case study of design sins. Some cool level designs, but man the encounter design and scripted events with stuff that can insta kill you... Ufff

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I believe so*. This same SDK design existed for Doom 3 as well (which is partly why BFG edition seemingly stripped out the SDK support as to make things not frustrating to port to consoles, at least from my understanding).

*Edit: Well, sort of. Quake III had both native libraries and a thing called QVM that could do platform agnostic mods. It was used in conjunction PK3 check summing system that could be used a primitive cheat detection as well. So Quake III would actually be possible to keep any mods that used QVM properly.
Well, then there's some hope yet. Quake 3 Rally, here we come.

I have actually no idea if it used QVM.