• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Just some more random thoughts about Quake: There are a lot of types of attack that I really like, generally in games like this projectiles work better than hitscan weapons - although this is not a rule- and Quake has some interesting examples of this. The grenades from the chainsaw guy work much better than missiles in terms of their speed and trajectory, I often dodge them at the last second and can literally see it coming at the screen, which creates an intense moment. Their trajectory can be sometimes predictable or the exact opposite, which makes dodging them more interesting. The ball energy that follows you from the spider things is also very cool, especially because they move slower than you. Which means that you can literally go guns blazing against those enemies and as long as you remember to move you can stay alive. But my favorite is the ranged attack from those sword guys. As it comes towards the player you have a few moments to realize a pattern and strategize how to best dodge them. FPS should have built more these ideas.

Also, quad damage is AMAZING. It feels both overpowered but weirdly balanced at the same time. And I love how many secrets seems geared towards giving the player that power up exactly before major fights (and funnily you sometimes found them after the fight because you missed them... or way before).

One 'but' is that the shotgun is underpowered. Both the normal one and the super shot, at least on nightmare. Against humanoid enemies they work fine, but after the first levels when you only face tougher enemies they become secondary weapons. I mostly use them intermittently to save ammo from the bigger guns: mainly the super nail gun, the rocket launcher and the electric gun. It was better in the expansions where weaker enemies were not "forgotten" in latter levels.

Last edited:

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Buying right now.

I know the devs are reading, personal wishlist, in case any of these are doable in console with controllers and software vs accelerated "visuals" toggles:
  • Half-Life 1 (I played it in software mode back in 1999 and I swear it looked … better than the current Steam version?)
You were right about that.

Half-Life 1 does have some visual features missing from its OpenGL and DirectX renderers which software retains, it was based on the QuakeWorld fork of the Quake engine so all of its faults are ancestral issues that client had in GL. Is evidence to suggest in certain maps that they were also built with and previewed in software by the developers since they've got instances of certain rendering artifacts that only show up in GL/D3D and not software, most commonly Z-fighting of certain textures and breakable objects.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Yeah that D and D2 threw me off for a second, and I remember playing D2 with a neighbor on his Dreamcast.

Shadow Man: I only see Turok 1-2 and Forsaken in the Xbox store, is the game not on Xbox yet?

How is the Forsaken remaster?

I had the N64 version but it made me dizzy (and didn't have a good campaign I think?). I remember my PC back in the day couldn't run the Demo well.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeah that D and D2 threw me off for a second, and I remember playing D2 with a neighbor on his Dreamcast.

Shadow Man: I only see Turok 1-2 and Forsaken in the Xbox store, is the game not on Xbox yet?

How is the Forsaken remaster?

I had the N64 version but it made me dizzy (and didn't have a good campaign I think?). I remember my PC back in the day couldn't run the Demo well.
Shadowman hasn't released on consoles yet. still holding my breath and my face is getting blue.

Oct 25, 2017
Dimension of the Machine is so fucking good. 4 runes down, just finished realm of the cultists. Just absolute grade A video gaming.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. Buying right now.

I know the devs are reading, personal wishlist, in case any of these are doable in console with controllers and software vs accelerated "visuals" toggles:
  • Quake II
  • Half-Life 1 (I played it in software mode back in 1999 and I swear it looked … better than the current Steam version?)
  • Shogo
  • Sin
  • Blood 2
  • Hexen 2
  • Heretic 2
  • Heavy Gear 1/2
I'd buy a nightdived Hexen 2 so fast.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Machine Games certainly aren't afraid to drop you in a narrow room surrounded by Ogres and Death Knights

Good Lord they can be mean sometimes

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHY DOES THIS EXIST?!

1753194-armagonspikemine2.png

Finally completed SOA, FUCK THESE THINGS.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I love those games. Just keep in mind that we actually have source ports for both of them so you can already get most of what you'd find in a modern remaster.

DXX-Rebirth

edit: Someone mentioned it already!

I was aware of the source port and it is awesome, just like Quake has many source ports already available. I was thinking of an oficial remaster, maybe with some improved models, textures, sound quality, effects,etc

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean by console mode?

The console, used to enter commands (as in cheats) basically.

https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Console_(Q1)

Yes, I know Doom they basically made them a separate menu, kind of annoying that they aren't available here as well.

For the Bethesda account, is it worth having for mods? Playing on Switch so not sure there is too much offered to set something up.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main campaign on Nightmare, and even if I haven't changed my mind on some negatives for the game when it was originally released, mainly the environments and enemies don't feel varied enough, everything looks too brown, spawns sucks and the shotguns are/feel underpowered, the main game definitely still holds up and it is fun to play.

Now playing the SoA expansion and I find it refreshing having a regular soundtrack instead of the ambient one of the original, and the one in the expansion it's great so far.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, something that should be fixed in the remaster is that the SoA's new weapon, the Laser Canons isn't binded to anything on keyboard and no way to change that using the menu, had to input some console commands in order to use it.

Last edited:

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
Just finished a couple of episodes on PC and Switch. Even with some of the early issues that are currently being fixed, this really is an excellent port, with the coop mode and Dimension of the Machine being especially remarkable. I'm just leaving this tweet from "Flick-stick"'s creator Jibb Smart, discussing how the versions of the game with gyro controls could use a much higher sensitivity limit :

It's already much better than pretty much any Not-Nintendo gyro implementations I've seen on Switch so far and it's almost where it needs to be with a Pro Controller, but too large a movement is required in portable mode, even using the maximum settings (16). It would be fantastic if this could be looked into.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The Vores and the Spawns are pretty dumb. I want to thank the industry for minimizing the use of enemies with these patterns as we learned 3D+FPS in consequent years.

(Instead we got a massive replication of: "Hey spiders are just misunderstood, Me and my team can definitely implement them better in our brand new 3D-focused game")

Yes, I know Doom they basically made them a separate menu, kind of annoying that they aren't available here as well.

For the Bethesda account, is it worth having for mods? Playing on Switch so not sure there is too much offered to set something up.

It has been worth it for me, is basically just an email and you only login to it once:

• Doom 1 and Doom 2: New levels, entire unofficial expansions, a nice "Vikings-GOW 2018 mod"
  • Fallout 4-76: Free and Paid mods and things.
  • Quake: Quake 64 (And come on...they are bringing Saturn as well, right? -Right?-)

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I remember playing Quake when it launched on PC. My group of friends and I had it in our rotation for LAN parties in the late 90s alongside Tribes and numerous strategy games. It was a regular in our matches until Unreal Tournament took over that position.

I hadn't played it on a console at all, and had only ever played the game with a mouse. Immediately went into the options and had to turn the X/Y sensitivity WAY up.

So much nostalgia playing this. Never thought I'd be playing it on an Xbox/Series X.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DoE was certainly interesting, Tomb Raider in muh Quake well I never. And the new rocket launcher, thats tasty.

Although the alt ammo variants in the remaster show how much better the new models look lol.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Have the controls on Xbox been fixed?

->
Because of the extremely cross-platform nature of the project, including multiplayer, and how the cross-play isn't governed by the usual GaaS backend that you'd have in other cross-play multiplayer titles (so all game behaviours need to be updated as traditional patches rather than as service downloads), patches may take a little longer than expected to come out, as we have to group a lot of changes together at once and then push them to all the platforms at once.

Tl;Dr there's a lot of fixes for things already in the works, and they'll all be grouped together for efficiency due to the many platforms that need to be updated at the same time.

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
finished the base game on hard yesterday on PS5 . still so good. I never played the 2 mission packs back in the day so I'm excited to tackle those next.

I want to attempt it to play on nightmare next but I think I'm going to wait until they fix/add the proper mouse support for PS4/5. game was pretty tough on hard w/ a controller :D

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the first episode on Nightmare. I had a really good time for the most part: the weapons sound and feel excellent, the level designs are very atmospheric and interesting to explore, I love the pixellated, unfiltered textures and how they are the default, and my god, hearing that soundtrack at last is such a treat.

The only gripe that I have are the balancing issues on Nightmare that have been mentioned elsewhere as well. Ogres and Shamblers are incredibly spammy, forcing the player to constantly circlestrafe or take potshots asany other approach is ineffective or just plain suicidal. I kinda wish they'd tweak that (they did reduce the HP from 100 to 50), but I can perfectly understand why they opted not to.

I know that there are some mods that address this while retaining the overall difficulty, but will I still get the achievement if I use those?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Picked up the game after about a week. I'm kinda fucked towards the end of the episode I'm on as I'm out of ammo and a shambler is at the level exit. Guess I gotta go hunting for secrets.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think I could play this on anything other than Nightmare from now on, back in the day I nearly always picked Easy. The lack of enemies would bore me, and sometimes theres some survival horror mixed in when ammo is low. Give me more Vores.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up the game after about a week. I'm kinda fucked towards the end of the episode I'm on as I'm out of ammo and a shambler is at the level exit. Guess I gotta go hunting for secrets.
That exact part frustrated me as well. There's a quad damage in that level, look up at a certain spot with a misaligned piece of wall.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Finished the first episode on Nightmare. I had a really good time for the most part: the weapons sound and feel excellent, the level designs are very atmospheric and interesting to explore, I love the pixellated, unfiltered textures and how they are the default, and my god, hearing that soundtrack at last is such a treat.

The only gripe that I have are the balancing issues on Nightmare that have been mentioned elsewhere as well. Ogres and Shamblers are incredibly spammy, forcing the player to constantly circlestrafe or take potshots asany other approach is ineffective or just plain suicidal. I kinda wish they'd tweak that (they did reduce the HP from 100 to 50), but I can perfectly understand why they opted not to.

I know that there are some mods that address this while retaining the overall difficulty, but will I still get the achievement if I use those?
Oh boy, if you think the Ogres are incredibly spammy now, you would not have enjoyed the original Nightmare mode. Because Nightdive actually did tweak the grenade spam rate. They already reduced it considerably compared to the original:

I'm okay with the way it is now, but the original Nighmare difficulty would be a nice extra option to have.

Edit: As far as I know using mods disables achievements, but using cheats or console commands does not. So if the mod can be achieved with only console commands, you should be fine. If you need to load the mod from a file, you will probably not get achievements.

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
We already tweaked the AI speed down on Nightmare along with changing the health limit to 50. I'm pretty sure if we tweaked it further, someone would take the time to fly over to New Zealand and wait the 2 weeks MIQ just to throw eggs at my house. :V

fushi

Oct 26, 2017

Whoa, that video really does show how poorly I remembered the original. Holy hell, that looks truly annoying.
We already tweaked the AI speed down on Nightmare along with changing the health limit to 50. I'm pretty sure if we tweaked it further, someone would take the time to fly over to New Zealand and wait the 2 weeks MIQ just to throw eggs at my house. :V
Going by that video shared above I would say you did a fiiine job adjusting things, given the surprisingly stark contrast. I still struggle with shamblers but I'll try to adjust!

Just out of curiosity, did anyone from the original Quake team provide input on these adjustments?

Edit: I just had a read of the Steam forums on this game and hooooly shit how nitpicky certain people can be with the most absurd details. To the point where they demand features that the original didn't even have, only source ports did. Cancel all gamers, seriously.

Last edited:

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Thought I'd bring over what I posted about The Edge deathmatch map appearing in this version of Quake over here.

Actually, that level in Quake 1 was actually made for the Arcade Tournament Edition of the game. I bring this up, because that is just one hell of a deep cut that Nightdive made to make reference to that version.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand