• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't sleep last night so decided to go for the achievement for beating level 1 on nightmare without firing a gun. hiding round corners with the axe and luring enemies was actually quite fun

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I posted this in the gyro thread, but it might be useful for people in here. I've been playing on PS5 with a DualSense:

I rate the game's gyro implementation a 6/10. (This rating does not reflect the overall quality of the game, just how good I feel the controls are)

The main issues:
  • No gyro disable button. There is a vertical recentre that you can map to any button, which is helpful, but a gyro disable button would still be better (imagine if you couldn't lift a mouse from a mousepad).
  • Limited max gyro sensitivity, I think the highest setting is equal to a sensitivity of 2 (in that it will turn 360° per 180° you move the controller). The sensitivity scale they use is non-standard.
  • A small, but noticeable deadzone based on the gyro displacement speed. (The reticule will be static with small movements).
  • The maximum right stick turn speed is also too slow. I wasn't expecting flick stick, but the best alternative is to crank up the analogue stick sensitivity, which you can't do enough here.
Overall, many things that could be improved, but I'm still enjoying the experience so far. Even slightly subpar gyro controls are far superior to standard right stick aiming. I haven't noticed any gyro drift, although this is probably masked by the deadzone and low sensitivity.

I've been playing on Nightmare with aim assist turn off, and it's not really as hard as I was expecting so far. Although I've had some slightly painful moments with those bouncing blue ball enemies that appear in later levels, and have a tendency to blow up in your face :p

I've now beaten the main campaign, and I'm now a couple of hours into Scourge of Armagon. I do really like the new laser weapon in the expansion. You can wipe out a room of enemies really quickly with some precise shots.
TheMoon from the future, partway through writing this post: this small comment turned into a longer rant, sorry:
I wish there was some sort of gyro aim assist association where a standard would be established with multiple variations and guidelines and tips and whatnot for devs to exchange ideas and get input from and so we'd have a central hub for all things gyro aim. Personally I'm not having issues with this one on a very casual level but I can still see things could get improved further and I understand the complaints (except those who claim the controls "don't work" because ...they simply do).

There are so many games who jump in with "we have gyro support!" and you go "yay awesome!" and then there are no options or the defaults are so misguided that you can't use them. It's not the case here, they're just not optimal but I've played quite a few where things were much worse and it feels like lots of devs just don't know what people either want from the feature to begin with or what good gyro aim assist is supposed to be (or even can be). This trickles down to the games media at large generally treating gyro aim as some bizarro fetish for weird people and you always get "turned that off immediately" comments if a game has it on by default. So we'll never get a public chorus of gyro evangelists who "get it" after experiencing good gyro outside of usually some Nintendo-focused personalities who tend to be relegated to fan-sites or youtube channels and don't have the wider industry pull. And thus you don't really get proper support behind it and a wider understand of what it should and could be and you get more devs who put it in without understanding it or many just still don't even bother because they don't even think about it.

Add to that that something cool like flickstick is like a new street drug you only hear whispers about in the backrooms. It's all such an objectively good thing for controls in general and you could have it on all platforms (except for Xbox for some strange reason) but it's still just a struggle. :/

But then again, we still have games released without remappable buttons or toggles for certain control types all the time...

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
TheMoon from the future, partway through writing this post: this small comment turned into a longer rant, sorry:
I wish there was some sort of gyro aim assist association where a standard would be established with multiple variations and guidelines and tips and whatnot for devs to exchange ideas and get input from and so we'd have a central hub for all things gyro aim. Personally I'm not having issues with this one on a very casual level but I can still see things could get improved further and I understand the complaints (except those who claim the controls "don't work" because ...they simply do).

There are so many games who jump in with "we have gyro support!" and you go "yay awesome!" and then there are no options or the defaults are so misguided that you can't use them. It's not the case here, they're just not optimal but I've played quite a few where things were much worse and it feels like lots of devs just don't know what people either want from the feature to begin with or what good gyro aim assist is supposed to be (or even can be). This trickles down to the games media at large generally treating gyro aim as some bizarro fetish for weird people and you always get "turned that off immediately" comments if a game has it on by default. So we'll never get a public chorus of gyro evangelists who "get it" after experiencing good gyro outside of usually some Nintendo-focused personalities who tend to be relegated to fan-sites or youtube channels and don't have the wider industry pull. And thus you don't really get proper support behind it and a wider understand of what it should and could be and you get more devs who put it in without understanding it or many just still don't even bother because they don't even think about it.

Add to that that something cool like flickstick is like a new street drug you only hear whispers about in the backrooms. It's all such an objectively good thing for controls in general and you could have it on all platforms (except for Xbox for some strange reason) but it's still just a struggle. :/

But then again, we still have games released without remappable buttons or toggles for certain control types all the time...

Simply put I think we can say this port's controls are totally serviceable but could do with more tuning options globally. I admit I can't comment on sticks only because I'm a firm gyro believer.

I've said it already but what I'd like is digital control over movement using the d-pad.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the original game's episodes and moved on to the first expansion.

It is really interesting to see how much the level design and "gimmicks" had improved in the expansion maps. Especially given that this was brand new tech, and the team had, what, 6 months to make the expansion? It's like watching the birth of 3D level design and iteration play out before you.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I fucking despise these fuckers

Do you know what's a good idea? Let's make an entire level almost fully dedicated to them!

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
Sooooo…does anyone know if this means that we'll get a proper Quake 5 or Quake reboot at some point? I'd imagine id/Microsoft got this out there similarly to how Perfect Dark received a remaster and announced a new game years later. Hell, if Rage got a sequel, I'm sure Quake deserves another shot as well, right?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Simply put I think we can say this port's controls are totally serviceable but could do with more tuning options globally.
The actual un-exaggerated truth. For single player they are serviceable for even Nightmare and I'm now winning multiplayer games even against PC users. Upping the sensitivity and giving yourself time to get acclimated is a must. Having said all of that hopefully Nightdive can make things better. I have to imagine they were aware of what they were shipping. Adding controller support to a game that wasn't designed for it at all is tough. I'm guessing there's plenty of brand new code they are having to add in to make it work.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Sooooo…does anyone know if this means that we'll get a proper Quake 5 or Quake reboot at some point? I'd imagine id/Microsoft got this out there similarly to how Perfect Dark received a remaster and announced a new game years later. Hell, if Rage got a sequel, I'm sure Quake deserves another shot as well, right?
Maybe or maybe not. Quake isn't exactly Doom or Wolfenstein in terms of brand recognition. Add to that that multiplayer is what the series is known for and things become complicated.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

What would Quake 5 even be at this point? Doom 2016 and Eternal as they stand are just more of this, but with the Doom bestiary.

What would a new singleplayer Quake have to differentiate it from Doom? I mean, Quake Champions has the Hero Shooter angle to it, but I'm not sure "Doom, but with Abilities" is any more than a stone's throw from Eternal.

Would probably make more sense to integrate Quake into "Doom 3".

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I hope this isn't common on the Switch version. 15 fps is quite bad.

Knowing what settings are enabled when seeing this performance would help. Turning things like depth of field and ambient occlusion off are said to help. I actually have to imagine that's why ambient occlusion isn't on by default across all platforms.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to play it again to confirm, but the controller aiming sort of reminds me of how Perfect Dark Zero controlled back in the day. Like, you go in expecting Halo/COD type smooth aiming and aim assist (it's an FPS on a console!), but the deadzone and/or acceleration feels a bit wonky instead.

I'm able to mostly get used to it, (I was able to finish PDZ multiple times, lol) but it's not ideal.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing what settings are enabled when seeing this performance would help. Turning things like depth of field and ambient occlusion off are said to help. I actually have to imagine that's why ambient occlusion isn't on by default across all platforms.

I find it odd that they have 15 ad-ons. I only have Quake 64 the last time I played.

Oct 27, 2017
What would Quake 5 even be at this point? Doom 2016 and Eternal as they stand are just more of this, but with the Doom bestiary.

What would a new singleplayer Quake have to differentiate it from Doom? I mean, Quake Champions has the Hero Shooter angle to it, but I'm not sure "Doom, but with Abilities" is any more than a stone's throw from Eternal.

Well Doom Eternal and 4 were more linear compared to this and introduced many new mechanics that weren't in Quake or classic Doom.

Quake can just do Quake 1 but in todays tech. Basically, get rid of all the alt firing modes, glory kills, upgrades etc etc and go full classic 90's shooter. Levels have more exploration and the encounters are less of an arena fight that escalates. Add secret levels and the ability to pistol start. The classic shooter genre indies do these days show they can do this and people would love it. I know I do.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't sleep last night so decided to go for the achievement for beating level 1 on nightmare without firing a gun. hiding round corners with the axe and luring enemies was actually quite fun
Wait, you could use the axe for that? I feel stupid now lol- I straight up didn't fight at all.
Just went down the lift, into the water to grab the over heal and loop back round, run through the main building and heal/hit switches going down the ramp, grabbed the hazmat suit and swam through to the armour, then ran back down (well jumped off) the ramp and to the exit. Thinking about it now it would've been easier to swim back through the acid.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

ideally IMO a new Quake would be the multiplayer yin to DOOM's singleplayer yang

but arena shooters are super niche now (see: waiting for a match on Quake Champions) so i guess it's going to have to have a SP campaign, if it does happen. which isn't a bad thing by any means but it's kind of in a weird spot

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I hope this isn't common on the Switch version. 15 fps is quite bad.

this is a hacked switch/with user-modded quake, these mods are not in the game.

that's also what the tweet is telling you, that they're trying maps/mods from the PC version.

below that, they retweeted:

context matters. stop looking at hacked in stuff to gauge Switch performance lol

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
context matters. stop looking at hacked in stuff to gauge Switch performance lol
I didn't see the other Tweets, so I did not know it was hacked.

I am interested in determining what the performance of the Switch version is as I've seen both good and poor (at times) written here (and elsewhere) and want to make an informed decision before spending an additional $13.49 CAD on the game (I only have it on PC, currently).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
this is a hacked switch/with user-modded quake, these mods are not in the game.

that's also what the tweet is telling you, that they're trying maps/mods from the PC version.

below that, they retweeted:

Oh wow Malice works on this port?

I gotta try this later on PC. Hopefully they put it on there officially as that mod is really damn cool.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow Malice works on this port?

I gotta try this later on PC. Hopefully they put it on there officially as that mod is really damn cool.

I was going to see if I could import the PAK files from my CD at some point too, that and the X-Men TC as well. Amazing that those were both retail releases at the time!

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I only managed to play online on the switch once, every other time I get a "checking online multiplayer entitlements" message, it disappears and nothing happens. Anyone knows what's up with that?

Anyway, Quake came installed with my first PC, so this has been a nostalgia trip, especially the sounds which were recorded in my brain. I think my version was probably a shareware version with only a few levels, I don't remember anything past the beggining. The game certainly has its fair share of bs moments, but overall I'm having a lot of fun. I'm playing in normal and I always feel a bit "fearful" because it's kinda easy to die, even if health packs are aplenty. I never felt like a quasi-invincible killing machine like in Doom, which really helps to set the oppressive mood.

Deathmatch is a damn blast, which is also a nostalgia trip, I think Quake was my first online game as well as my first FPS. I'm not very good, although the gyro aiming helps immensely, but it's so fast paced and fun, I don't really care when I lose. There are always weapons and enemies around the corner, so there's no dull moments, it's a blast.

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to see if I could import the PAK files from my CD at some point too, that and the X-Men TC as well. Amazing that those were both retail releases at the time!
Yeah it was an interesting time. I kinda miss that stuff.

I also found this link for it if anyone needs it:
www.moddb.com

MALICE for Quake (patched with bug fixes and soundtrack) mod

Malice is a total conversion for Quake, set in the 23rd century in the year 2230, the player assumes the role of a bandana wearing mercenary named Damage. Working for Colonel Bossman and his underground crime syndicate, B.O.S.S., the player is pitted...

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
I only managed to play online on the switch once, every other time I get a "checking online multiplayer entitlements" message, it disappears and nothing happens. Anyone knows what's up with that?

Anyway, Quake came installed with my first PC, so this has been a nostalgia trip, especially the sounds which were recorded in my brain. I think my version was probably a shareware version with only a few levels, I don't remember anything past the beggining. The game certainly has its fair share of bs moments, but overall I'm having a lot of fun. I'm playing in normal and I always feel a bit "fearful" because it's kinda easy to die, even if health packs are aplenty. I never felt like a quasi-invincible killing machine like in Doom, which really helps to set the oppressive mood.

Deathmatch is a damn blast, which is also a nostalgia trip, I think Quake was my first online game as well as my first FPS. I'm not very good, although the gyro aiming helps immensely, but it's so fast paced and fun, I don't really care when I lose. There are always weapons and enemies around the corner, so there's no dull moments, it's a blast.

Try this:

- Go to Options > Bethesda.net
- Sign in / Authenticate your Bethesda account.

After doing that go to Online and try again. It should work now (I had pretty much the same problem).

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Two questions:

-On Steam now the game should use the Bethesda account, so if I play the game on Game Pass and boot the Steam version it should recognize my account and unlock all achievements, right?
-is Quake 64 an entire new game like Doom 64 was?

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions:

-On Steam now the game should use the Bethesda account, so if I play the game on Game Pass and boot the Steam version it should recognize my account and unlock all achievements, right?
About Quake 64

No. It is a down ported Quake. Still has some interesting changes but nothing major.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit a weird issue, where between boot-ups of the game, I've gone from precise control of the game via KB/M on PC, being able to stop on a dime etc. to suddenly ice-skating all over the place?

Anyone know if I've accidentally enabled/disabled a menu setting, or if a console command can fix this? I've not got a controller plugged in, so that can't be affecting it.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Arcane Dimensions fully playable in the PC version? I know the hub launches but some of the levels have higher requirements.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just hit a weird issue, where between boot-ups of the game, I've gone from precise control of the game via KB/M on PC, being able to stop on a dime etc. to suddenly ice-skating all over the place?

Anyone know if I've accidentally enabled/disabled a menu setting, or if a console command can fix this? I've not got a controller plugged in, so that can't be affecting it.
I found that using weapon wheel on PC introduced all sorts of weirdness. Controls become floaty, movement becomes jittery. Best to unbind weapon wheel button until this is fixed to prevent accidental presses.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
As another poster said, no it isn't. It's a gimped version of the game that IMO isn't worth touching unless you have nostalgia for it. The only additions as it were are colored lighting and a different soundtrack but you are missing parts of levels and entire levels all together.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Answered above, but funnily enough Quake 2 on N64 is an entirely new game for some reason.
I mean they were already making compromises to the original to get it on the system. At a certain point just making something different is easier than creating a port of a game that won't run. IMO Quake 2 on the N64 is all the better for being a unique experience compared to the gimped Quake 1.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they were already making compromises to the original to get it on the system. At a certain point just making something different is easier than creating a port of a game that won't run. IMO Quake 2 on the N64 is all the better for being a unique experience compared to the gimped Quake 1.
Not trying to gotcha -- just genuinely curious: how did the PSone ver of Quake 2 get by so well then? I thought N64 was stronger.

Edit: Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Not trying to gotcha -- just genuinely curious: how did the PSone ver of Quake 2 get by so well then? I thought N64 was stronger.
The platforms had different strengths but regardless the PS1 port was a complete rebuild including models. They approximated the PC original but it isn't the PC original whatsoever.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
As a heads up for any folks here having trouble playing Quake multiplayer on their Switch, I've just heard that one cause is people who have turned the time sync off (because they were cheating animal crossing, no I'm not joking). The encrypted network tunnel in Playfab requires an accurate sync'd time on your Switch to function properly, so you'll need to turn this back on.