• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
How are Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity?

This is my second time ever playing through Quake and I've never tried the official add ons.
Scourge of Armagon has some fun maps, though they're sometimes marred with annoying deathtraps. The new content (weapons & enemies) are mostly superfluous. There are a couple new power-ups, but their usefulness varies wildly. For example, one power-up will summon a random enemy to help you out. The catch of course is that you're chances of getting something cool like a Shambler are nil. Most of the time, you'll just end up with a dog. Still, it's a mostly entertaining romp that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Dissolution of Eternity is a bit more robust. While there are a few of the standard sci-fi bases & medieval ruins, this expansion also takes place in other worlds. Don't be surprised to visit element-themed realms, a monster-infested Egyptian maze, and so on. New enemy types are also interspersed here and there, but again, nothing as standout as the original Quake. Instead of new weapons, you can now pick up lava nails & multi-rockets. Naturally, they're more powerful and have the bonus effect of not replacing the standard nails & rockets. To put it another way, you get A LOT more ammo. In a short time, you'll be cruising through this expansion and laying waste to everything in sight. IMO It's not nearly as balanced or as intricately-crafted as Quake, but it's still good fun.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also speaking of mission packs, I need to repeat that the new pack machine gun did was pretty damn cool. The maps are really damn cool and very detailed. They feel like a higher end mod (like Arcane Dimension in how well made they are).

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been brought up, but I'm playing on the Switch and the only add-on that shows ip is Quake 64. Is this normal?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been brought up, but I'm playing on the Switch and the only add-on that shows ip is Quake 64. Is this normal?
Yes

There are more on the way but for now this is the only mod. That being said, they added all the expansion packs and the two level packs Machine gun games did and you can find them when you start a new game.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Once I finish Dimension of the Machine, I'll have to give Arcane Dimensions a playthrough.

It looks really sweet.

6HL7sol.png

www.moddb.com

Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake

An alternative universe of Quake featuring new game play features, a massive variety of monsters and 30+ maps to explore!

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
If there is ONE mod that should come in the official download list, it's Arcane Dimensions, no doubt about that.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I need further help. I started playing the remaster and the console commands seems to have changed. It doesn't recognize mouse3, mouse4, mouse5 and mwheelup and mwheeldown. Any ideas?

The game is essentially "wrapped" in Kex (Night Dive's own engine), so:

mouse3 = mouse_middle
mouse4 = mouse_misc2
mouse5 = mouse_misc1
mwheelup = mouse_wheel_up
mwheeldown = mouse_wheel_down

Last edited:

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
If there is ONE mod that should come in the official download list, it's Arcane Dimensions, no doubt about that.
If you don't want to wait and have the game on pc, you can put the AD mod on the Quake\rerelease folder, and use the command "game [mod folder name]" once you start the remaster. I've played a few levels, and so far, the mod works perfectly.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
How should I calibrate aiming on console? It feels AWFUL

It needs a patch. There's no fixing it for the moment.

The game looks, runs and feels incredibly smooth. What controller issues are you experiencing ?

It lacks all sense of precision and I'm unable to place shots, being forced to adjust my aim by actually moving the player's location with the left stick. Not sure what the problem is, a combination of weird acceleration and an enormous dead zone I reckon. I find it almost unbelievable that you haven't noticed it. I'd say that maybe the series version doesn't suffer from it, but that's unlikely as I've tried playing the Steam version (with an xbox controller) and it's the same thing. Just complete crap, about as bad as using a Steam controller.

For console I'm on PS5, same thing there.

I'm also finding this game to be almost unplayable on PS5. I'll happily wait for them to patch it though.

Right, hoping they will. Really wanna play this on a the big screen.

-------------

Anyway, I've spammed this thread I'm enough. Just hoping someone there at nightdive picked up on the complaints cause this otherwise excellent remaster deserves some decent controls.

Last edited:

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm in the last chapter - episode, playing on a regular controller on the Series X.

The game looks, runs and feels incredibly smooth. What controller issues are you experiencing ?
I started playing on console today expecting something terrible with the controller input after reading this thread. I turned the sensitivity up to 75% and it feels fine? I'm not sure what is making it feel unplayable for some, but if anybody else is scared to try it because of this thread, don't be.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. The keyboard and mouse are detected, and you can even bind keys, but the game does not recognize mouse movement.

Console access via ` is also disabled, so you can't mess around with commands or set any parameters.

too bad, don't think I have much interest in old school quake with a controller, and I barely have PC worth booting up so that's not an option.

i do wish developers would add more input options, like where seeing with Halo, COD, Battlefield, etc...

I might still give it a shot though.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
too bad, don't think I have much interest in old school quake with a controller, and I barely have PC worth booting up so that's not an option.

i do wish developers would add more input options, like where seeing with Halo, COD, Battlefield, etc...

I might still give it a shot though.
It's an odd oversight for some of the more recent boomer shooters. Like they know who their audience is, and most of these are PC ports anyway. Just leave it in.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished the original Quake campaign again after I don't know how many years ago. I never played any of the expansions so those will be a treat.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It needs a patch. There's no fixing it for the moment.

It lacks all sense of precision and I'm unable to place shots, being forced to adjust my aim by actually moving the player's location with the left stick. Not sure what the problem is, a combination of weird acceleration and an enormous dead zone I reckon. I find it almost unbelievable that you haven't noticed it. I'd say that maybe the series version doesn't suffer from it, but that's unlikely as I've tried playing the Steam version (with an xbox controller) and it's the same thing. Just complete crap, about as bad as using a Steam controller.

Right, hoping they will. Really wanna play this on a the big screen.

-------------

I understand what you describe but I'm just not feeling it with the regular X controller on the series X. Hopefully whatever they patch helps you enjoy it better, I'm playing on a CX Oled 65 and with texture smoothing = off, the game looks like a dream come true.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It lacks all sense of precision and I'm unable to place shots, being forced to adjust my aim by actually moving the player's location with the left stick.
I definitely feel some input delay, but I "adjust my aim" the way you describe regularly, anyway, so it makes sense that I don't consider the input delay bad enough to keep me from playing the game. I just finished all four main episodes on Normal without issue. That said, the severity of input delay in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection does keep me from playing X1-X3 that way, so the degree to which input delay affects me definitely varies.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any time there are control issues with dead zones and/or acceleration curves in a game there are always some "doesn't bother me so it's not a real issue" people.

Every damned time.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Finished the original Quake campaign again after I don't know how many years ago. I never played any of the expansions so those will be a treat.

I had forgotten the sheer level of bullshit that the last few levels of the original campaign threw at you.

I have never players the expansions, played the first level of each and Dimension of the Machine looks like … Quake 2 or better? What's the story here.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I posted this in the gyro thread, but it might be useful for people in here. I've been playing on PS5 with a DualSense:

I rate the game's gyro implementation a 6/10. (This rating does not reflect the overall quality of the game, just how good I feel the controls are)

The main issues:
  • No gyro disable button. There is a vertical recentre that you can map to any button, which is helpful, but a gyro disable button would still be better (imagine if you couldn't lift a mouse from a mousepad).
  • Limited max gyro sensitivity, I think the highest setting is equal to a sensitivity of 2 (in that it will turn 360° per 180° you move the controller). The sensitivity scale they use is non-standard.
  • A small, but noticeable deadzone based on the gyro displacement speed. (The reticule will be static with small movements).
  • The maximum right stick turn speed is also too slow. I wasn't expecting flick stick, but the best alternative is to crank up the analogue stick sensitivity, which you can't do enough here.
Overall, many things that could be improved, but I'm still enjoying the experience so far. Even slightly subpar gyro controls are far superior to standard right stick aiming. I haven't noticed any gyro drift, although this is probably masked by the deadzone and low sensitivity.

I've been playing on Nightmare with aim assist turn off, and it's not really as hard as I was expecting so far. Although I've had some slightly painful moments with those bouncing blue ball enemies that appear in later levels, and have a tendency to blow up in your face :p

I've now beaten the main campaign, and I'm now a couple of hours into Scourge of Armagon. I do really like the new laser weapon in the expansion. You can wipe out a room of enemies really quickly with some precise shots.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'd like to sum up my current Nightmare run.

Kvsxn63.png
Having difficulty with Shamblers? I don't think they're too bad as long as there's cover to hide behind. The Super Nailgun makes pretty quick work of them. I try to save my Nailgun ammo just for them.

Pretty much the main rule for fighting them is to dive behind cover as soon as they raise their arms, to avoid the lightning attack. You can usually get a second worth of weapon fire per volley.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Having difficulty with Shamblers? I don't think they're too bad as long as the there's cover to hide behind. The Super Nailgun makes pretty quick work of them.

Pretty much the main rule for fighting them is to dive behind cover as soon as they raise their arms, to avoid the lightning attack. You can usually get a second worth of weapon fire per volley.

Been playing Quake since it released, I understand how to dance with them, I just forgot how many Nightmare throw at me.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
To get the "Complete Quake on Nightmare" do I need to complete the entire game on that difficulty or is there a shortcut?

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Just finished Nightmare for the base campaign, having never played the OG Nightmare, and boy do I have one thing to say:

Fuck

Spawns

Geez, I hated them on Normal and Hard but the new 50hp cap really makes them "touch of death" enemies. At the same time, it made for a tougher challenge and felt more rewarding to finish the levels with them, so mission accomplished. Probably gonna tackle the expansions on Hard since I haven't played them before, but glad to have done the base game that way.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I finished Dimension of the Machine tonight. It's excellent — definitely in my top 5 for 2021.

What sort of add-ons do you think they'll have for this? Do you think there will be more expansions?

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
This is my first time playing Quake and I love it. Playing on Series X and have had no issues so far. Just reached the start of Chapter 4.

Oct 27, 2017
Your problem is your video drivers are so old they don't even know what vulkan is and don't even have the runtime installed. This would additionally put you quite considerably outside our support bracket, so it'd be ideal to check first that you have your drivers and everything properly up to date first.

Sorry about the wait in replying. Too much AEW stuffs in my way, First, thanks for personally replying and if I may, thanks to you and your company for all that you do with reviving classic FPS.

And second, I figured as much. Mine is an old GTX555 that already has been updated to no prevail. So, I get it. To be honest, I was trying to do game pass on PC so I can use the old-school cheats so it's karma biting me hard. No big deal. I plan on getting the game on all the other systems as well (especially the LRG versions)

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Better than official (rushed) campaign from id software if you ask me 👀

I think they are fantastic.

Been a while since I played them but they feel more like a build engine campaign than an id one. They introduce some crazy weapons and there are even set piece like in Duke 3D for example. To give you an example, the first or second pack (forgot which one of them) has a freaking Indiana Jones style escape the boulder while it is chasing youpart

So to answer your question, they are pretty cool. They also have a different soundtrack too which is pretty nice and different (sounds more like Quake 2 and 4). I prefer the OG soundtrack mind you but the new OST fits the different style.

Scourge of Armagon has some fun maps, though they're sometimes marred with annoying deathtraps. The new content (weapons & enemies) are mostly superfluous. There are a couple new power-ups, but their usefulness varies wildly. For example, one power-up will summon a random enemy to help you out. The catch of course is that you're chances of getting something cool like a Shambler are nil. Most of the time, you'll just end up with a dog. Still, it's a mostly entertaining romp that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Dissolution of Eternity is a bit more robust. While there are a few of the standard sci-fi bases & medieval ruins, this expansion also takes place in other worlds. Don't be surprised to visit element-themed realms, a monster-infested Egyptian maze, and so on. New enemy types are also interspersed here and there, but again, nothing as standout as the original Quake. Instead of new weapons, you can now pick up lava nails & multi-rockets. Naturally, they're more powerful and have the bonus effect of not replacing the standard nails & rockets. To put it another way, you get A LOT more ammo. In a short time, you'll be cruising through this expansion and laying waste to everything in sight. IMO It's not nearly as balanced or as intricately-crafted as Quake, but it's still good fun.

Awesome, can't wait to give them a look!

I'm especially pumped about the comparison to build engine games as I played through Duke 3D for the first time a couple years back and really loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing others sentiments, console ports for this are a mess. Another game where gyro appears to be implemented to help remedy a terrible analog response configuration. Completely ruins the game.

Making matters worse, cross play is enabled by default in online, so if you turn cross play off, there are no lobbies. So, you're stuck playing against keyboard and mouse players with one of the worst controller setups I've ever seen.

I regret buying it on PS4 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, the controller config fundamentally spoils the experience, even if there's a great game underneath, it just doesn't feel fluid.

I've nearly pulled the trigger on this several times, but I appreciate posts like this as I don't want to buy it until control issues have been fixed. Such a shame as I'm really in the mood for a classic FPS like Quake at the moment.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing on console today expecting something terrible with the controller input after reading this thread. I turned the sensitivity up to 75% and it feels fine? I'm not sure what is making it feel unplayable for some, but if anybody else is scared to try it because of this thread, don't be.

It's just got a hideously bad acceleration curve where it moves at about half speed for a moment and then suddenly ramps instantly up to full speed. Reminds of playing Killzone 2 but not quite as heavy.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I was a tad worried about diving in since I'm on Linux, which at times can amplify problems and introduce new ones, but it hasn't been bad. If there's anything wrong with the framerate it's not bad enough that I can tell. 120fps feels good. Although it's certainly possible that I'm not super picky about these things.

Gamepad controls are definitely are messed up, though. I have real trouble aiming, trouble I don't have with Quakespasm. I've been switching back and forth, and Quakespasm is so much better.

Aside from that it's a great version of Quake. Once the gamepad controls are patched I'll have no reason to use source ports anymore.