• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
For Switch (or honestly any console version) is there a general consensus on the sensitivity settings? Or just leave them as is

pappakenoo

Oct 28, 2017
For Switch (or honestly any console version) is there a general consensus on the sensitivity settings? Or just leave them as is

I've messed around with the controller settings on both PC and Switch and come to the conclusion that it's one of the worst controller implementations I've ever seen in a FPS. The gyro save it somewhat on Switch, but yeah, this port is close to unplayable for me on a controller. Blows my mind they released in this state tbh, I mean they did the same work for Doom 64, and that plays just fine.

Jtrov

Oct 25, 2017
The default sensitivity on Switch felt a bit sluggish, so I bumped it up. Not home at the moment, but I believe I raised it to 13. Feels fast but controllable especially while using Gyro.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
So is KBM going to be enabled for XBOX and PS? I tested a few things out and everything works… except for actual mouse movement. Keyboards and mice are fully recognized in menus. There are even mouse specific sensitivity settings for x and y axis; it just won't read movement.

I even tried starting the game with my DualShock 4 off to force keyboard and mouse input as the only devices and look input still doesn't register.

It's as if mouse movement was accidentally disabled in the final build that was shipped to console digital store fronts.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've messed around with the controller settings on both PC and Switch and come to the conclusion that it's one of the worst controller implementations I've ever seen in a FPS. The gyro save it somewhat on Switch, but yeah, this port is close to unplayable for me on a controller. Blows my mind they released in this state tbh, I mean they did the same work for Doom 64, and that plays just fine.

cl_joy_accel_precision_threshold 1
cl_joy_accel_speed 250
cl_backspeed 400

to fix the controller.

Switch version doesn't have the same problems as the other ones for me.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Echoing others sentiments, console ports for this are a mess. Another game where gyro appears to be implemented to help remedy a terrible analog response configuration. Completely ruins the game.

Making matters worse, cross play is enabled by default in online, so if you turn cross play off, there are no lobbies. So, you're stuck playing against keyboard and mouse players with one of the worst controller setups I've ever seen.

I regret buying it on PS4 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, the controller config fundamentally spoils the experience, even if there's a great game underneath, it just doesn't feel fluid.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm three levels away from a full Nightmare playthrough, including all the secret levels. I've been incredibly happy with the Xbox version.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So I finished Quake and some of its DLC for the first time ever with this release, honestly really enjoyed myself

I dived straight into Quake 2 with the RTX mod available on Steam and holy shit the visual glow up...but the gameplay...it feels just floaty and not as solid as the original
is the general conceses or is maybe the mod changing more than I thought it did. Like honestly the pistol especially it being this slow as hell projectile is kinda lame compared to how
strong and instant the weapons feel in Quake

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get massive frame rate drops in the 4th level pack ("Dimension of the Machine") in the beginning areas with the candles and giant fan with shadows (default video settings). My computer is definitely getting old, but runs the remainder of what I've played at 60 fps. Something odd is that changing to low resolution and turning off the enhancements doesn't seem to raise the frame rate more than a few fps. Places where there are shadows casted on the wall seem to cause the biggest slowdowns, even with dynamic shadows off.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished Quake and some of its DLC for the first time ever with this release, honestly really enjoyed myself

I dived straight into Quake 2 with the RTX mod available on Steam and holy shit the visual glow up...but the gameplay...it feels just floaty and not as solid as the original
is the general conceses or is maybe the mod changing more than I thought it did. Like honestly the pistol especially it being this slow as hell projectile is kinda lame compared to how
Unless I'm really misremembering things, Quake 2 RTX plays exactly the same as Quake 2. And yeah, that pistol feels terrible. I don't think you're supposed to use it for very long though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Echoing others sentiments, console ports for this are a mess. Another game where gyro appears to be implemented to help remedy a terrible analog response configuration. Completely ruins the game.

Making matters worse, cross play is enabled by default in online, so if you turn cross play off, there are no lobbies. So, you're stuck playing against keyboard and mouse players with one of the worst controller setups I've ever seen.

I regret buying it on PS4 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, the controller config fundamentally spoils the experience, even if there's a great game underneath, it just doesn't feel fluid.

I feel like I must be playing a different version than you with how different our experiences are.

I played a shit tonne of quake back in the day and now I'm zipping through levels playing on hard using the PS5 controller.

I'm not going to be rocket jumping or taking on M&K players online but it feels great to play for me. (Obviously after ramping the sensitivity way up).

I reckon we'll get Mouse and keyboard support anyway though for those that want it

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Diagonal aiming on consoles is off and there appears to be some sort of aiming smoothing on which it was it feels so laggy. Even using an Elite controller to change the deadzone doesn't really fix the issue.

I've only ever played Quake 2 though, and this looks incredible. So hopefully they patch the controls.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I must be playing a different version than you with how different our experiences are.

I played a shit tonne of quake back in the day and now I'm zipping through levels playing on hard using the PS5 controller.

I'm not going to be rocket jumping or taking on M&K players online but it feels great to play for me. (Obviously after ramping the sensitivity way up).

I reckon we'll get Mouse and keyboard support anyway though for those that want it

For the campaign, not a lot of precision is required to be honest. The enemies walk in straight lines, or even stand still much of the time. So it's not hard to manage how it controls, for me it's more of an enjoyment thing.

It's also objectively present. While my feelings about it are subjective, the controls are objectively unresponsive when compared to games like Apex Legends, Splitgate, Halo Infinite, Call of Duty and so on. It's setup with what seems to be either a high deadzone or response curve, stacked with significant aim acceleration. It's also an accessibility issue, there's no benefit to missing the options to adjust the controls to the players liking. The game must have values for things like the deadzone, but these are hidden from the player.

As for keyboard and mouse support... that's not what I want. I don't know how many people buying the console version would really care about that. By all means, it's a good option to have in there, but it doesn't in any way help for people who want to play the game with a controller.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I get massive frame rate drops in the 4th level pack ("Dimension of the Machine") in the beginning areas with the candles and giant fan with shadows (default video settings). My computer is definitely getting old, but runs the remainder of what I've played at 60 fps. Something odd is that changing to low resolution and turning off the enhancements doesn't seem to raise the frame rate more than a few fps. Places where there are shadows casted on the wall seem to cause the biggest slowdowns, even with dynamic shadows off.

defghik

Feb 15, 2018
Diagonal aiming on consoles is off and there appears to be some sort of aiming smoothing on which it was it feels so laggy. Even using an Elite controller to change the deadzone doesn't really fix the issue.

I've only ever played Quake 2 though, and this looks incredible. So hopefully they patch the controls.
The acceleration curve seems completely screwed up. It aims so slowly for the first split second after deflecting the stick that small adjustments to your aim is basically impossible, then it quickly ramps up to the full sensitivity. Really not fun to play the game like that.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is the multiplayer peer to peer? If so then I'm surprised that it isn't based on QuakeWorld
It's client/server, built off the original NetQuake protocol (i.e the original DOS Quake). Peer to peer is quite... uhh... not compatible with Quake. Who the server is depends on what you're doing though. We have dedicated servers for matchmaking, but custom games are hosted by the lobby owner.

As for why it's not QuakeWorld, singleplayer was the priority, and QuakeWorld changed the player physics model so it didn't make much sense to use as the base. However because of the drastic difference between them, we couldn't include both in the same executable, so revamping NetQuake was really the only option.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017

Ouch...

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
It's client/server, built off the original NetQuake protocol (i.e the original DOS Quake). Peer to peer is quite... uhh... not compatible with Quake. Who the server is depends on what you're doing though. We have dedicated servers for matchmaking, but custom games are hosted by the lobby owner.

As for why it's not QuakeWorld, singleplayer was the priority, and QuakeWorld changed the player physics model so it didn't make much sense to use as the base. However because of the drastic difference between them, we couldn't include both in the same executable, so revamping NetQuake was really the only option.

Makes sense, appreciate the clarification!

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
I feel like 95% of players wouldn't even notice the difference between NQ/QW physics in single player. I understand if there's some underlying technical weirdness to it though.

Still really impressed by the SP side of this release despite my MP griping. Might finally get me to play all the way through the expansion packs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
No, it has nothing to do with that at all, and bumping that would break the game physics. It's locked to 60hz internally for a very intentional reason to prevent physics issues from manifesting.
Interpolation also doesn't care what the original framerate is, it doesn't need to. It's an interpolation of the real time compared to the frame time, so litteraly any value could be in its place. I don't know what the issue is you claim to have, but it's not either of these things, for sure.
No frame rates above 60 run truly smoothly, like they do in other source ports.
This is on a system with a 3700X, 32GB of RAM, and a 3060 Ti, connected to a 120Hz G-Sync display - so it's not a hardware issue.
The interpolation - or something else - is not working correctly. Running the game at 100 FPS is a constant stutter, even with G-Sync.
Look at any static object or a wall with an obvious texture while strafing and you should be able to see it. vkQuake is a good option for comparison to see how much smoother it is at the same frame rate.

Nov 2, 2017
Multiplayer is unplayable, at least on switch. Bought it for that so bummed, hoping for a fix. Although first time ever playing quake and the campaign itself is really fun so far!

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is on a system with a 3700X, 32GB of RAM, and a 3060 Ti, connected to a 120Hz G-Sync display - so it's not a hardware issue.
The interpolation - or something else - is not working correctly. Running the game at 100 FPS is a constant stutter, even with G-Sync.
Look at any static object or a wall with an obvious texture while strafing and you should be able to see it. vkQuake is a good option for comparison to see how much smoother it is at the same frame rate.
Did you try typing "r_gpuCulling to 0" in the console? Maybe it is the cause of the stuttering you are seeing, even at high frame rates. Increased my frame rate by around 200 fps. I was getting massive performance issues while looking at a wall.

Multiplayer is unplayable, at least on switch. Bought it for that so bummed, hoping for a fix. Although first time ever playing quake and the campaign itself is really fun so far!
Frame rate? Controls?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Never new Quake had the medieval vibe

That's why people love it. The lovecraftian mix is a lot more interesting than what it became. Quake was originally meant to be a sword swinging RPG more like Hexen 1/2, but was turned into a shooter during development. Romero soon departed and went on to make the RPG he wanted out of Quake to show the world he could do much better and made a much more critically acclaimed RPG shooter that is still talked about today.

Oh sorry, did I mean Romero, I meant Warren Spector. The better dev at Ion Storm.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I can't really give you any other explanation. I just know that what you're looking at is a red herring. Doom for example is a 35 Hz game, any and every port running past that also runs interpolation, and people don't come clamouring about framerate with that. Our tech isn't really any different here, so the interpolation is not inherently the problem. It's also something we've clearly haven't noticed ourselves, Kaiser runs 144hz and I run 155. So there's something else to this likely more system related.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't really give you any other explanation. I just know that what you're looking at is a red herring. Doom for example is a 35 Hz game, any and every port running past that also runs interpolation, and people don't come clamouring about framerate with that.

Actually there have been complaints about interpolation from the Doom 35hz tick rate for years and it's a configurable option in many source ports.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I always been more of a DOOM person but I forgot how fun Quake can be. In Episode 3 atm, on Hard. Lots of levels to tackle, well worth the pricepoint.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Actually there have been complaints about interpolation from the Doom 35hz tick rate for years and it's a configurable option in many source ports.
Not in Doom community circles there certainly hasn't been. Haven't seen anything on the sort on Doomworld in recent years, and no chatter about it of any such issues between port devs (who yes I'm involved with).

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, for those in the knows with the Quake modding community, what do you think they could end up adding to the add-ons section? Any noteworthy fan episodes?

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Best $10 I've spent in a while. Did some online co-op with a friend and we had a blast. Never played this growing up so it's great getting to experience the game finally.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
You got me, I made it up. Busted.

To be clear I'm not saying you're lying about the presented issue, just that what the issue relates to isn't what it appears at first glance. Though I do currently have a theory given the interpolation timer seems to introduce 64bit integers in the math, which might be cutting off some rounding in particular scenarios? Though none I've been able to isolate just yet.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
There is a certain je ne sais quoi to Quake's infighting that similar games just can't seem to replicate.

Example below

"Vores aren't bad, now as a reward I'm going to get 4 in a row"

2rrl6tgshpi71.jpg

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I click a file to load it and it just plays the intro demo again. Anybody know the deal with that?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
BTW I finished Dimension of the Past. It started off nicely, but I think Machinegames could've thrown some more ammo & medkits into the later stages.
Also, the endgame is just Shamblers on top of Shamblers. I had one stage end with three Shamblers, then the next stage began with two. Thankfully, from what little I've played of Dimension of the Machine, Machinegames has upped their level-design a thousand-fold.

"Vores aren't bad, now as a reward I'm going to get 4 in a row"

2rrl6tgshpi71.jpg
This too.

Nov 2, 2017

Unless I'm really misremembering things, Quake 2 RTX plays exactly the same as Quake 2. And yeah, that pistol feels terrible. I don't think you're supposed to use it for very long though.
I've been riding a Quake wave in recent days with the remaster's release and figured I would fire up Q2 again. "Strong and instant" is a good way to describe the Q1 weapons. The Q2 pistol is very weak and just sad; I realize it is supposed to be a last option but I wish they had gone with a melee option similar to Q1's bloody ax. And yeah, the gameplay just feels more solid in Q1 for me. Playing Q2 again, the weird animations as enemies juke your shots or die (or when the flies gather after they died ...) seemed force back in the day and are really feel strange now. Other design things like Q1's standard keycard/trap/switches route feel more pure than Q2's attempts with mission objectives.

I still like Q2's single player enough but there is no topping the original.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I like Q2, but even at its best it feels more like a power fantasy thrill-ride than anything else. The Strogg are like ants & flies compared to your might. Awesome weapons and loads of ammo are easy to come by. Id put players in the role of being a neigh-unstoppable badass, and that's the absolute extent of it. Where Q1 was daring and unpredictable, its sequel was anything but.

Some attempts were made (through secret difficulty settings and expansions) to give Quake 2 some of the original's edge, but IMO none of it really works as it should. Take Ground Zero for example. It made changes to the enemy AI, so that'd they react faster and attack more often. That's good! Problem is, the devs added ceiling turrets to nearly every room, turning the expansion into an absolute slog.