• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I think I've found part of the reason it looks/feels so bad on PC after going through the list of CVars.
Quake has traditionally updated at 72Hz internally, and it looks like this new port changes and locks that to 60Hz.
Higher frame rates are then interpolated from this - which does not look smooth at all.

This isn't helped by the Vulkan rendering path not working with G-Sync - which I think is part of the reason it felt laggy to play.
But even after switching it to DX11 using r_rhirenderfamily d3d11 it's still not smooth.
This is a problem which has been solved long ago in other source ports. vkQuake is so much smoother than this version when both are running at 110 FPS (on a 120Hz display).

This isn't related to Quake. But in Q3A how do you access the config file to make it run wide screen.

Jun 2, 2019
Right joycon repaired. Finally i can play the game in handheld mode, and well, color me impressed

No issues to aim or move whatsoever. After years having Quake installed vía homebrew on my 3DS, i can't even begin to express how thankful i am for this official remaster

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
none of my campaign completion achievements are unlocking on xbox. Incredibly frustrating. The other random feat ones are, like killing a shambler before it can shoot.

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
none of my campaign completion achievements are unlocking on xbox. Incredibly frustrating.

They are for me. I finished the first 3 episodes and got achievements for all of them.

This is still a really fun game. Honestly shorter than I remembered. I will definitely go through all the campaigns. Would be nice if Nightdive would fix the dead zone issue fast though.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
It is definitely the dead zone. It's crazy how far I can move the right stick without any reaction in game. I don't think there is any input lag, because then we would most likely also feel it during other actions.
I think you're right. Any word on if the game will be updated with dead zone settings on consoles, specifically Series X? Don't think I want to play it in its current state. Just feels unresponsive and unmanageable.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
BTW, there's a funny bug on PC where when you boot the game, the numbers will have these weird lines around, making the HUD look pretty ugly:

assdftjj4k.jpg

If this happens to you, switch to fullscreen mode and then go back to borderless.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
none of my campaign completion achievements are unlocking on xbox. Incredibly frustrating. The other random feat ones are, like killing a shambler before it can shoot.

Are you playing through the campaigns via New Game or the level select?

I read on the Steam forums that the episode completion achievements only unlock if you play via New Game. It's likely gonna be the same way for Xbox too.

Anyone having problems playing online on switch? It does the check to see if I have nintendo online then does nothing?

I had this problem when i first played/signed into the Bethesda account on my Switch.

Could you try going to Options > Bethesda.net and sign in/authenticate there, and then try the Online mode? It worked for me after I did that.

VicRattlehead

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing through the campaigns via New Game or the level select?

I read on the Steam forums that the episode completion achievements only unlock if you play via New Game. It's likely gonna be the same way for Xbox too.

I had this problem when i first played/signed into the Bethesda account on my Switch.

Could you try going to Options > Bethesda.net and sign in/authenticate there, and then try the Online mode? It worked for me after I did that.

cheers that worked

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
So im really happy about this! they even updated the version I have on steam which was not expected. Im kinda bummed about the new expansion dimension of the machine though, im not sure what it is but it tanks my frame rate in parts of it. As I test i turned off all the graphical features and the framerate didnt change so im not sure what it is. It runs flawless in the original game for example.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
So im really happy about this! they even updated the version I have on steam which was not expected. Im kinda bummed about the new expansion dimension of the machine though, im not sure what it is but it tanks my frame rate in parts of it. As I test i turned off all the graphical features and the framerate didnt change so im not sure what it is. It runs flawless in the original game for example.

For anyone having issues like me run this command from the console: r_gpuculling 0

fixed it now runs flawless.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
are saves compatible between the Steam and PC Game Pass versions? if so, does that mean we can somehow get achievements on both with the same save somehow?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who hasn't gotten the achievement yet:

You can use the axe for 'Slipgate Pacifist' (Beat E1M1 on Nightmare without firing a shot)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's hidden in difficulty select stage near the start of episode 4.
Ok, the little hub area after you select normal/easy/hard has a hidden difficulty portal in it. When you fall through the water that leads to episode 4, there's a wooden beam you can fall onto that leads to the nightmare difficulty selection.
Nope, they were being literal, the Nightmare portal is hidden at the chapter select room (On any difficulty)
When you go down the water to enter episode 4 you can drop down onto a wooden walkway that leads into the nightmare difficulty slipgate. If you miss it go into the portal in the back of the room to re-enter difficulty selection and try again.

I see, gratitude.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BTW, there's a funny bug on PC where when you boot the game, the numbers will have these weird lines around, making the HUD look pretty ugly:

assdftjj4k.jpg

If this happens to you, switch to fullscreen mode and then go back to borderless.
I did some testing with this yesterday. It seems to be related to the depth of field setting. If you disable DOF and fully shut down the game, it won't come back. I think the DOF effect only appears when you're switching weapons on a controller so it's not a big deal for mouse/keyboard.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Edward850 You guys are no doubt aware, but just in case: the console versions desperately need access to deadzone / acceleration settings (if that is indeed where the problem is). Either that or a patch to fix whatever is wrong with the aiming.

Love everything else about the remaster, but right now I kind of regret purchasing the playstation version.

This goes for the PC version with joypad as well.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here it is, as the creators originally intended. Quake 64 on a real CRT at 800x600 120hz, played with a Series controller.

WwXN1LB.jpg

I like this. Now taking a break until the controls are patched, because the response curve / deadzone thing really does need patched on all platforms.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Well, I think I've found part of the reason it looks/feels so bad on PC after going through the list of CVars.
Quake has traditionally updated at 72Hz internally, and it looks like this new port changes and locks that to 60Hz.
No, it has nothing to do with that at all, and bumping that would break the game physics. It's locked to 60hz internally for a very intentional reason to prevent physics issues from manifesting.

Interpolation also doesn't care what the original framerate is, it doesn't need to. It's an interpolation of the real time compared to the frame time, so litteraly any value could be in its place. I don't know what the issue is you claim to have, but it's not either of these things, for sure.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone who hasn't gotten the achievement yet:

You can use the axe for 'Slipgate Pacifist' (Beat E1M1 on Nightmare without firing a shot)

Oh really? It's pretty doable without it though. I didn't know that and it took me like 5 minutes. Using the secrets to get armor and the mega health for extra sturdiness helped.