• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Last edited:

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played it back in the day on a PC, but only ever just a few levels. Impulse buy on Switch and with mostly standard settings got a little motion sickness by the end of e1m3.

Activated camera movement while walking and adjusted graphics, control sensitivity and switched from Pro Controller to split Joy-Cons. Now motion sickness is gone and this plays so damn well now especially with the Joy-Cons. Thanks to gyro aiming the right one nearly acts like a mouse while I'm cozily laid back on the sofa destroying those ugly ass monsters.

It just makes so damn fun it's a real treat. Awesome port! Also aged really well plus 1080p60, updated models and things like depth of field and dynamic lightning doing their work. Love it!

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Don't sleep on the new expansion, Dimension of the Machine. It's pretty incredible what they've done with the engine.
AltruisticInsidiousDwarfrabbit-size_restricted.gif

That's very much where a lot of Quake mapping is at these days. Machine Games basically made their version of Arcane Dimensions. Y'all should check some of that stuff out. :D

But yeah, it's pretty great. As with a lot of current map packs, the levels have really strong themes and are super varied. It's a treat.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
That's very much where a lot of Quake mapping is at these days. Machine Games basically made their version of Arcane Dimensions. Y'all should check some of that stuff out. :D

But yeah, it's pretty great. As with a lot of current map packs, the levels have really strong themes and are super varied. It's a treat.
I think people are going to be blown away by some of the mods that get added to this.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. This game is really good.

Never played the original, but I recall my Dad playing it.

How come the voice quality in multiplayer is better than in most modern AAA games?

Madden

Nov 21, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what addons are going to be released for this! I'd vote for After The Fall.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Edward850 You guys are no doubt aware, but just in case: the console versions desperately need access to deadzone / acceleration settings (if that is indeed where the problem is). Either that or a patch to fix whatever is wrong with the aiming.

Love everything else about the remaster, but right now I kind of regret purchasing the playstation version.

Oct 28, 2017
Edward850 You guys are no doubt aware, but just in case: the console versions desperately need access to deadzone / acceleration settings (if that is indeed where the problem is). Either that or a patch to fix whatever is wrong with the aiming.

Love everything else about the remaster, but right now I kind of regret purchasing the playstation version.
Yeah it nauseating honestly. I think its just a deadzone issue.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's nice that I have the same ping on Quake servers in 2021 like I had on Quake World servers in 1996 :> ~130ms

HPW era is alive and well

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The devs deserve massive kudos for the visuals - the default settings provide enough of an update while still retaining the same look and feel of the original - from my vague memories of playing it at my mates' house (probably running at a low resolution in software mode).

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
They should definitely get Night Dive to do Quake II at some point as well. Q2 Raytraced was kind of neat, but not a good version of the game.

They're currently working on Sin Reloaded, which is a game based on Quake II tech. It all lines up. :)

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Kex is indeed a ridiculously good engine for all these older games. Seeing Shadowman, Quake and Turok 1/2 running on it with all the bells and whistles it provides is just great. Personally I'd love to see if Kex could fix all those horrible Tomb Raider 1-3 versions on Steam. They have bad controls and poor resolution support. Not a port beg, just would be awesome to see.

Edit - When I said bad controls, I mean bad gamepad support.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
They should definitely get Night Dive to do Quake II at some point as well. Q2 Raytraced was kind of neat, but not a good version of the game.

They're currently working on Sin Reloaded, which is a game based on Quake II tech. It all lines up. :)

I'd be surprised if they have not been working on it for the last few weeks or even months if they want it out a year o 18 months from now.

Or maybe they've just been at it for days because their development stages probably differ from regular game developments.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Is there an issue with controls on the series x? It just doesn't feel right almost laggy. Switch seems fine to me tho.
for me
there seems like an acceleration on controls, like you are on rollerblades or something.
constantly gliding.
not sure if its same issue.
also not sure if quake was always like this. might have been.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

Hammer of Thyrion: Hexen II and HexenWorld for Linux, BSD, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows

Hammer of Thyrion, Linux source port of Hexen 2, Hexen2 for Linux, Hexen2 for BSD, Hexen2 for Mac OS X, Hexen II for Linux, HexenWorld

I'm actually mid-playthrough with HoT and Game Of Tomes right now. 😊

I would just love to see the official release get the upgrade treatment, maybe include some of those GoT or Xability functions to really sweeten up the classes, and finally have Portal of Praevus available digitally.

Plus, it would help shine a spotlight on the game with the publicity Nightdive gets, which Hexen II deserves.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
They have bad controls

This is difficult to rectify what with how the OG Tomb Raider games are designed.

The platforming is all done as a sort of grid system. So imagine you have to jump from column A to column B... you need to figure out in your head how many 'units' that column is away from you. So you might have to side step, then pivot so you're facing straight on, then run and then jump just as you're on the last 'unit' of column A.

These games expect you to take your time and try to line each jump up correctly. It's not like a Mario 3d game where you're given these huge platforms to jump between.

They're very much precise 2d platformers in a 3d space.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Kex is indeed a ridiculously good engine for all these older games. Seeing Shadowman, Quake and Turok 1/2 running on it with all the bells and whistles it provides is just great. Personally I'd love to see if Kex could fix all those horrible Tomb Raider 1-3 versions on Steam. They have bad controls and poor resolution support. Not a port beg, just would be awesome to see.

I'd be down for Tomb Raider as well tbh, big fan of the OG tomb raider especially

This is difficult to rectify what with how the OG Tomb Raider games are designed.

The platforming is all done as a sort of grid system. So imagine you have to jump from column A to column B... you need to figure out in your head how many 'units' that column is away from you. So you might have to side step, then pivot so you're facing straight on, then run and then jump just as you're on the last 'unit' of column A.

These games expect you to take your time and try to line each jump up correctly. It's not like a Mario 3d game where you're given these huge platforms to jump between.

I'm wondering if they meant that the steam versions have poor gamepad support

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda wish they could get a speedometer up on the console versions of this lol. Always fun to have on Quake haha.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

I'm aware, I was meaning in reguards to gamepad support. I finished OG TR on Saturn and TR 2 and 3 on PSX, so I'm aware how they play, but the control support in Steam is awful.

I'm wondering if they meant that the steam versions have poor gamepad support

Basically this.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Would you care to give a ballpark date? Maybe the month?

It's a phenomenal update already but don't think I've played anything yet on my new TV that's 120, 4k.
gotta remember the publisher behind this is Bethesda, you're only gonna get info like that from them. I think Ed and the Nightdive folks are otherwise happy to tease when it's their own releases.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Congrats on the release, Edward850 !
As a Software Engineer myself, I feel the need to commend your hard work. This stuff is not easy in the slightest.

You've all done an amazing job with this game. Cheers!

Vir

Oct 27, 2017
Western Australia
for me
there seems like an acceleration on controls, like you are on rollerblades or something.
constantly gliding.
not sure if its same issue.
also not sure if quake was always like this. might have been.

Yeah its not right, quake controls were always super precise on PC. Switch doesn't seem to have that issue, the controls seem really responsive.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
A bit LTTP, but what an awesome surprise!

I could not get Quake to run above... maybe 5-10 fps on our old computer, so I actually never played it..!

Rectifying this mistake as we speak: my first hour really feels as good as Doom, wow..!

And not fully related, but I am about to start reading "Masters of Doom", so I am really in the flow with these retro ID shooters at the moment.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is quake 2 supposed to be this… cumbersome?

The menus, no 1440p support, no FOV slider?
This is a Quake 1 remaster, good sir. Why are you talking about Quake 2? The last port it ever received was on the 360, or the free RTX port (which has both of those things). The original PC version won't have these things as it was made in the 90s.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Online is a stutter-fest. Must have been sub 30 fps by the looks of it. Was even rough when I created a lobby and played around by myself. Any ideas ?