• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah something doesn't seem quite right about the low res mode on PC. Here's the picture I saw of it on Xbox Series and it looks how it should.

Whereas the PC version has some blur and texture filtering.

monJdjq.jpg

I'm guessing that PC version doesn't use nearest neighbor for upscaling for some reason, while console versions do.
So it's not just me. I thought something looked off too. The console screenshot is what Quakespasm looks like when you set it to quarter scale in the config file.

Edit: And past Night Dive games have had low-res modes that look better on PC. Turok 2 and Forsaken remasters look more like the console screenshot here when you set their resolution scale to like 25% on PC.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Anyone else not getting music in the Switch version?
Just an FYI, last few games people reported to me that they couldn't hear any music:
  • For Quake it turned out they had the music turned down way too low. (Which might also be what you have done here.)
  • For Doom64 they didn't understand the original music was ambient, not just a bunch of vague metal MIDIs.
  • For Blood they didn't understand half the games levels didn't even have music. This last one doesn't exactly apply, but it does help note to always verify with the original source if you aren't sure if something is the same or not.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
If this is a dig at the original Roland SC-55 Doom soundtrack that Bobby Prince worked so hard on, with guidance by John Romero on influences and inspirations, I think it's really, really undeserved.
Heh, not at all, quite the opposite. I really enjoyed its aesthetic and classic Doom's soundtrack is quite memorable.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think I'm getting close to finish the 3rd chapter in Quake and the game is quite good, but it has a few shortcomings. Enemy design is limited, I feel I'm fighting the same guys over and over. And they are not very inspired, with the exception of the big white bear. Also, I read a lot of people talking about its atmosphere and its lovecraft themes, generally putting them in costrast with Quake 2, and I don't feel it. The setting is very much in tone with Quake 2, especially the more industrial location, and I don't feel any strong cosmic horror vibes. Just some monsters you shoot a lot.

Jul 18, 2020
Having a blast with the PC version, really, really great job with one of my favorite games of all time. Nightdive you guys are fucking legends!

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Input lag so bad on PS4 (PS5 bc) that it's entirely unplayable. :(

I feel like PS4 just can't get a break when it comes to releases of id classics. The Doom 1/2/final etc. were like this too.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It'll be 16 years since Quake IV released, I hope this remaster is just a start of things to come. It would be great to also eventually see Quake II and III Arena on modern platforms. Hopefully successful enough that they actually release a Quake V.

While technically Quake II somewhat did have a remaster if you consider the RTX update but that is Nvidia specific but an independent remaster with some sort of raytracing for PS5 / Series X|S would be nice.

Is there any footage that does a direct comparison of the old Quake 1 vs new visuals?

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Just some thoughts on this fantastic remaster for the Nightdive peeps here in this thread:
  • Is there a way to play with the original sound effects? The remastered sound effects feel inconsistent; some sound effects are obviously improved while others I can barely tell the difference, if at all. Playing mods that include new sound effects sounds jarring.
  • Is there a way to play with the CRT filter in the base game? Quake 64 looks perfect with the CRT filter + the emulated 3-point filtering, I kinda want the CRT effect in the base game lol. Would make for the ultimate nostalgia trip.
  • Is the music in Quake 64 supposed to be very quiet? I really have to strain to hear it against the sound effects.
  • I decided to see how Arcane Dimensions plays in the rerelease, and for the most part it works! I only tried the Grendel's Blade map in the mod, but a few things stuck out to me:
    • Saving takes forever in this map. Maybe the engine dislikes having to save a state with so many entities.
    • When you activate the super secret in this map, the framerate nosedives with the amount of explosions that are happening.
  • The Omicron bot doesn't work. On a lark, I wanted to pit them against the built-in bots to see who comes out on top lol, but the addbot command summons the built-in bots only and the menu command crashes the game.
  • Will there be mod support in multiplayer? I think the rerelease defaults to the base game when playing multiplayer.
  • This probably isn't up to you and you guys probably don't know, but do you know if Dimension of the Machine will be released for free to users of other versions of the game(retail, GoG)? I know there are engine features that likely can't be used in other ports, but it would be a nice gift to fans that were there since the beginning.
  • Any plans on releasing a definition file for Trenchbroom so map authors can use the new features of this version of the engine?

Jul 18, 2020
So good man I really can't believe its such an old game. Now I see why it's so revered. Only played Quake 3A and a bit of quake 2 in my childhood.

Prime id were no joke, level to level it was all greatness. Quake 2 is really phenomenal as well, though I think the first one aged better since it's a huge inspiration for DUSK, which is shaping up to be a foundational game in the boomer shooter era we're GLORIOUSLY getting in now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't think I ever want to touch the multiplayer of this game. I'm not great with competitive first person shooters to begin with and now you want to feed me to the PC player wolves as well? Hell nah.

Anywho, I only ever played the shareware version of this back in the day, so I'm gonna make my way through all the episodes just as I did with Doom and Doom 2 when they released two years ago.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
This probably isn't up to you and you guys probably don't know, but do you know if Dimension of the Machine will be released for free to users of other versions of the game(retail, GoG)?

I know there are engine features that likely can't be used in other ports
You've answered your own question. We can't release a map pack for a thing it obviously doesn't work with. That would be like asking 343 to release Halo Infinite maps for Halo 1.

I don't think I ever want to touch the multiplayer of this game. I'm not great with competitive first person shooters to begin with and now you want to feed me to the PC player wolves as well? Hell nah.
Then don't play with PC players? You have a controller restricted lobby and can turn off crossplay. All these powers are yours.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Someone please let me know if they get Team Fortress 1 (the original, not classic) working in this engine.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Was confused at Dismal Oubliette for a second because I was sure that isn't how the level began, then I looked it up and realized they added in the cut beginning

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Someone please let me know if they get Team Fortress 1 (the original, not classic) working in this engine.
I've heard reports that Team Fortress works as is, which is expected because this is still Quake and not an entirely new engine. If you're confused, you can load any mods yourself via the "game" console command.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Was confused at Dismal Oubliette for a second because I was sure that isn't how the level began, then I looked it up and realized they added in the cut beginning

Interesting. Had to look this up and found this nice writeup:
According to John Romero, besides the technical limitations like not having too much polygons on screen (r_speeds count should be around 300 but no more than 600) they also had self-imposed limits on the levels. One of those was that the .BSP file size should not be more than 1.44 MB. Two different reasons were stated in various interviews for this. One was so it would fit on a floppy, which is weird because they had network and another was "to keep game at a reasonable size" which makes sense only for Shareware levels anyway. Unfortunately E2M6 exceeded the filesize limit, so this whole entrance area was simply chopped off. Interestingly, there's a leaked June 11th 1996 "Beta 3" Pre-release version of the game that has the original E2M6 intact. Another interesting fact that both pre-release and final versions of other level, E4M7 (Azure Agony) also execeed 1.44 MB limit by 3 KB :)
From the comment by "gilassp" on this video:

www.youtube.com

Quake Singleplayer - Lost Entrance of the Dismal Oubliette (e2m10)

Quake Singleplayer with the map "Lost Entrance of the Dismal Oubliette" (e2m10) created by John Romero.Map: Lost Entrance of the Dismal Oubliette (e2m10).Map...

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played through the vanilla campaigns with friends tonight and man this game is still great

Where can we download new mods? Or are all the old mods compatible?

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
Sorry if this was already answered already, but was the GoG version of Quake: The Offering updated for the Enhanced version as well?

I bought it off GoG like last week, but if it's not, I figured I might as well just stick to the Gamepass version for the future.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Anybody else playing in Low resolution intentionally? I love that they gave as many options as they did on the Xbox version.

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
I don't know if it has been yet, but GOG owners will receive the update for free:

Quake Enhanced Update, page 26 - Forum - GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.
Very cool, thanks. Hopefully this means I won't have the use QuakeSpasm for music and widescreen support anymore.

Also hoping for crossplay between Steam and GoG for multiplayer.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Been having a blast with this on Switch. The dimension of the machine is gorgeous!

Dialed in my control settings. I like having the next/prev weapon on the triggers and being able to cycle between guns on the fly without taking my thumbs off of the analog sticks. Feels more immediate than using the wheel or cross pad.
ndSPKqS.jpg

pA1umDZ.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Been having a blast with this on Switch. The dimension of the machine is gorgeous!

Dialed in my control settings. I like having the next/prev weapon on the triggers and being able to cycle between guns on the fly without taking my thumbs off of the analog sticks. Feels more immediate than using the wheel or cross pad.
ndSPKqS.jpg

pA1umDZ.jpg
I love the game on Switch. Gonna give your settings a try on my train ride today.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Played around with this some more, will definitely be using this as my go-to version of vanilla Quake in the future. Glad they got Nightdive on board for this, wish Bethesda got them to do the recent Doom rereleases.

The multiplayer side of things is a complete let down. I don't know if the netcode is the original NetQuake implementation, but whatever it is ain't good. I'd say MP seems like an afterthought, but they went to the effort of co-op support and crossplay.

Excited to try out the new Machinegames Episode next.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah something doesn't seem quite right about the low res mode on PC. Here's the picture I saw of it on Xbox Series and it looks how it should.

Whereas the PC version has some blur and texture filtering.

PC version's low res mode seems more in line with N64, either way neither mode is accurate, it's not a true software mode on Xbox either, there is quite a few differences between OpenGL Quake & Software mode, the lighting was downgraded in OpenGL & pretty much all ports suffered the OpenGL compromises. Though this is a remaster & a new engine of sorts, so it's hard to compare.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
$10 for Quake is even more of a steal than $5 for Doom when you think of the upcoming mod support. All those Doom add-ons are overwhelming (and they keep adding more!) but they're limited by the Doom engine, ultimately. But the promise of even more 90s-era 3D mods FOR FREE is just...I can't even :)

So great of id to honor their legacy in such a player-centric and forward-thinking way.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Is this 120fps on (some) consoles? Seems like a perfect fit.

I think it's coming to new-gen consoles. I just don't know if it will be with a patch via BC or a native version. On PSBlog Bethesda said that the game will support 4k@120 on PS5 with haptic feedback, adaptive triggers as well (which indicates that it may be a native next-gen version)

blog.playstation.com

Quantifying Quake: How the dark fantasy FPS changed games forever

As the game celebrates its 25th anniversary with an enhanced version launching on PlayStation today, id Software developers reflect on its legacy.