• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda pleased to read about the issues with the Series controller because I just thought I was god awful but it did feel massively off. Hopefully they get rectified quickly because what I've played is a fantastic port, so much so I'll also be buying it on the switch.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
If you watch the quakecon stream on steam for 10 to fifteen minutes you will get a couple stickers and avatar border

store.steampowered.com

QuakeCon 2021 Bethesda Sale

QuakeCon returns August 19 - 21, featuring in-depth developer panels, tournaments, charity fundraising and of course, sales!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Playing it on both my Series S and on Manjaro Linux. Controls feel very floaty on console; strange having to play the Linux version with a translation layer (a new Proton version), but it works great so far and it's nice having the original soundtrack on.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Been playing both Switch and PS4 versions. Super smooth, incredibly fast-paced and thrilling blasting monsters to death.

Not had any issues with the controls myself (using the standard non-gyro controls on both SKU)

Enjoying two different playthroughs:

- Switch (Quake 64)
- PS4 (base Quake)

If you watch the quakecon stream on steam for 10 to fifteen minutes you will get a couple stickers and avatar border

store.steampowered.com

QuakeCon 2021 Bethesda Sale

QuakeCon returns August 19 - 21, featuring in-depth developer panels, tournaments, charity fundraising and of course, sales!

Thanks for the link. Will check it out for those goodies.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Which platform wins the gyro wars (lol): PS5 or Nintendo Switch?

Really just asking which one has a better motion controls implementation.

Nov 2, 2017
God, I can't decide if I want to play it in modern cleaned up mode or chunky pixels retro mode.
👍 Standing by for LRG pre-order. My god. Quake on a cart.

I made my peace and chose thick and chunky. 😂 I just think it suits the environmental textures better, and they really get the "walk up closer to fully render" aspect just perfect. Especially using that preset someone posted two pages back. I love the colored lighting for Quake 64 though and might default to that without the CRT warp.
Before the remake release, I had been meaning to ask what resolution folks use for their "thick and chunky" fix. I normally go default 320x200(?) but is there a sweet spot for modern machines?

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely the dead zone. It's crazy how far I can move the right stick without any reaction in game. I don't think there is any input lag, because then we would most likely also feel it during other actions.
Yeah you're right. Same right stick issues - it's like half a second before any movement registers. That's like enough time to die in this game

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Nightdive's Turok Remaster, which is otherwise flawless, had giant deadzones with a controller that I fixed with .ini editing, and I imagine the same can be done on PC for this version of Quake. Console players will have to wait for a patch.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah something doesn't seem quite right about the low res mode on PC. Here's the picture I saw of it on Xbox Series and it looks how it should.

Whereas the PC version has some blur and texture filtering.

monJdjq.jpg

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah something doesn't seem quite right about the low res mode on PC. Here's the picture I saw of it on Xbox Series and it looks how it should.

Whereas the PC version has some blur and texture filtering.

I'm guessing that PC version doesn't use nearest neighbor for upscaling for some reason, while console versions do.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that PC version doesn't use nearest neighbor for upscaling for some reason, while console versions do.
I wonder if there would be a way to enable this way on PC 😆 Don't @ me with accurate sourceports lmao

Edit: I'm such a big dumbley dumb! Change the internal resolution back down to get rid of this vaseline distortion and you'll see it as the dark gods intended. I'm rocking 800 x 600 at the moment.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more of a walk by default guy since i'm used to move slowly on Quake. On Switch, i didn't find where to map walk or run
Walk is defaulted to clicking the left stick in, so it's mapped to that in the controls menu. Just use Y on Xbox (so I guess it's X on Switch) to unmap that input, and map it to whatever you want.
Wait , what's your jump button then?
LB obviously. Bumper jumper for life.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I would like them to add? An oxygen bar for when you're underwater.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Quake-Era, fam, I need your help.

Trying to boot the Remaster thru PC game pass on my old PC (I'd be lying if I said it was top of the line, but I just ran River City Girls on it with no prob), and I get this error message:

kexPlatformApp::InitVideo: Failed to initialize window for Vulkan (Failed loading vulkan-1.dll: The specified module could not be found.)

Turns out a ton of folks online are getting this error, especially those with older GPU (like mine) that don't support Vulkan. I found a number of temp fixes, like the one here:

But all of these are geared towards the steam version. How the hell do I modify the Game Pass version? I spent the last 45 minutes searching my hard drive trying to find something that looks/sounds similar to this. Do I have to wait it out for a game pass update?

Thanks for reading.

Your problem is your video drivers are so old they don't even know what vulkan is and don't even have the runtime installed. This would additionally put you quite considerably outside our support bracket, so it'd be ideal to check first that you have your drivers and everything properly up to date first.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I remember keeping a stack of AOL trial discs w/ a copy of Quake on them rubberbanded together in my backpack, then installing Quake in our community college computer lab after class and playing with friends.

Booted it up today on PC, and man, 20+ years has not been kind to my ability to track gameplay this fast.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there big differences between Quake 64 and regular Quake?
quake.fandom.com

Quake (Nintendo 64 version)

A port of Quake was released on March 24, 1998 by Midway Games for the Nintendo 64. Also known as Quake 64. This port was brought to PC with the Quake Enhanced remaster released during QuakeCon 2021 as a downloadable add-on. There is no Welcome to Quake, rather the difficulty is selected via the...

pretty exhaustive list

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The finale of DotM is also great, if a little infuriating. ;p

Only one level in this whole pack I didn't love, so nicely done, MachineGames. Definitely replaying these sooner than later.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Tried a ton of settings on PS5 and I can't find numbers that feel comfortable. Something is off with the left stick, I feel like I can't move as precisely as I want.

animalcrosser

Banned
Apr 7, 2020
I just played some online deathmatch for quite awhile. I feel like this game is ageless. Nothing quite like eating someone's pineapple.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Played some more on Switch and wow this is really great. Really digging the medieval aesthetic and especially the enemy designs which are just so charmingly dated; in general I'd say that with the low res mode enabled the game is quite stunning. Struggled a bit finding good settings for the controller but with my current settings I think it's about as close as KBM as you can get (if anyone wants to try, max out the X axis on the stick, put the Y axis on 2, and max out both axis for gyro).

Anyone else not getting music in the Switch version?
It's meant to have music? I haven't heard any

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally have music at 10 and SFX at 5- and while the intro menus become irritatingly loud with a slight volume increase, the game maintains the music to gun ratio I then enjoy.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
Nightdive's Turok Remaster, which is otherwise flawless, had giant deadzones with a controller that I fixed with .ini editing, and I imagine the same can be done on PC for this version of Quake. Console players will have to wait for a patch.
It's not just that the deadzones are large, but fine movement is too sluggish and acceleration kicks in way too hard after just a few degrees beyond that fine aim zone.

It actually feels a lot like keyboard only play did back in the day (as it was common back then) before I picked up a mouse and learned to play with +mlook.

Last edited:

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
It's been well over 10 years since I last played through the campaign and the game still rules

so enjoyable revisiting this

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
While I'm here, is there no LAN in this version? Kind of a big exclusion, I think.
It still works. The same console commands are used, and it's actually the code path the dedicated servers for matchmaking use. Anybody saying that it isn't hasn't even tried to do it or had no idea how Quake LAN used to work, it seems. The only thing gone is the menu browser itself, but that was tied to some very ancient socketing protocols we didn't have time to clean up, however you never needed that browser to play Quake over LAN, and that browser was fickle at best anyway.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Played some more on Switch and wow this is really great. Really digging the medieval aesthetic and especially the enemy designs which are just so charmingly dated; in general I'd say that with the low res mode enabled the game is quite stunning. Struggled a bit finding good settings for the controller but with my current settings I think it's about as close as KBM as you can get (if anyone wants to try, max out the X axis on the stick, put the Y axis on 2, and max out both axis for gyro).

It's meant to have music? I haven't heard any

Yep.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
It still works. The same console commands are used, and it's actually the code path the dedicated servers for matchmaking use. Anybody saying that it isn't hasn't even tried to do it or had no idea how Quake LAN used to work, it seems. The only thing gone is the menu browser itself, but that was tied to some very ancient socketing protocols we didn't have time to clean up, however you never needed that browser to play Quake over LAN, and that browser was fickle at best anyway.
Ahhh, well that's good then.