• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Quake 64 mode is amazing. The CRT filter and lower internal resolution on top of the different assets is incredible (even if they should probably give you an option).

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
In matchmaking MP does it refill games in progress? It seems like every single match I've played so far (Switch, crossplay on) has people slowly exit and then I run into them in matchmaking again.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played it a bit. This port is really good. It's smooth, and adds modern graphic options without messing with the overall style and missing some effects like glQuake sadly did. The curated add-on downloads, just like with the recent Doom ports, will be great for getting more people to play more mods and of course to get them on consoles. The Quake 64 add-on that is currently available is also a great recreation of the original 64 version, and it's impressive how much it does to recreate that. By now, this level of quality is what I've come to expect from Nightdive Studios. Speaking of which, the logo animation when you start the game are finally skippable, like the Doom trilogy games but unlike various Nightdive games like Doom 64. I wish they'd patch that option into those games.
If I had one thing to nitpick about, it would be some problems with graphic settings switching by themselves. When you load the Quake 64 add-on, it will turn on texture filtering, which makes sense for that version. But once you unload it, texture filtering stays on instead of reverting to either your previous options or even default settings. It's annoying to have to manually change the settings again each time after playing a mod. Having a different configuration saved for each different add-on and having it loaded along with the add-on would a nice change.
Overall, I'm very satisfied and happy with this version of Quake.

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have noticed with this update, is that the overall audio is very low, compare to before the update.

Also for those that find the intro videos annoying, add -skipmovies to the launch options, or delete all the files in the Quake\rerelease\movies folder (Which is what I did before knowing about the -skipmovies command).

I don't think the saves from the vanilla releases of Quake can be reused, but Quake EX puts its data in %UserProfile%\Saved Games\Quake.
I found out that the new save files are located in the %UserProfile%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake location. But you are correct in that the vanilla saves are not compatible with this new update, which is what I was afraid of. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal. I just have to replay a couple of the stages of episode 2 in the Dissolution of Eternity pack, to get back to where I was at.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Also for those that find the intro videos annoying, add -skipmovies to the launch options, or delete all the files in the Quake\rerelease\movies folder (Which is what I did before knowing about the -skipmovies command).

If you're using kb&m, you can also just hit Esc. Admittedly, though, I was surprised that it actually worked, given Bethesda's history of being a stick in the mud in this area, haha.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I found out that the new save files are located in the %UserProfile%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake location. But you are correct in that the vanilla saves are not compatible with this new update, which is what I was afraid of. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal. I just have to replay a couple of the stages of episode 2 in the Dissolution of Eternity pack, to get back to where I was at.
The game has a level select in the new game menu, so you can go right back there if you want. It's very convenient.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Can you play custom maps via multiplayer? (PC to PC). I don't expect it for cross play but I hope I can do some TrenchBrooming with this new version

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Other source ports seem to have solved that problem while still using the original models and animations, but I'm actually not sure how they did that. Must have been some manual adjustments.
Probably. It's honestly funny to look at all of the older games that simply modeled the muzzle flash and whatnot along with everything else, in either case. 3D was just so weird back then.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean the original Team Fortress will be possible running on this version?
Oh I sure hope so! I spend so much time in the 90s playing Cross The Border, Civilian Sawmill and Hunted, also Spazball. Oh, yeah, and the regular TF game, too, lol.

I'll buy this game when the PS5 version is out. Looks like a great remaster.

Nov 2, 2017
Do "new" saves take over the vanilla saves? I have my Mission #1 saves that I would mind keeping but ultimately, I would be okay with starting over with the new fangled version.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit on the 'bone, and yep, aiming is an exercise in frustration, and it is lacking mouse support 😔. A shame really, since Doom 64 and Turok 2 felt so good with a controller; I wonder what went wrong with this conversion.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed. Wanted this to be an announce of an actual new Quake game by the proper main iD team.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of retro shooters but I have never really gotten into the Quake games, which should I play?

I have Quake 1 and Quake 2 already on Steam.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm a huge fan of retro shooters but I have never really gotten into the Quake games, which should I play?

I have Quake 1 and Quake 2 already on Steam.
They're both good but Quake 2 veers more modern with mission objectives and connected levels that you go back and forth between. Quake 1 is a Doom style key hunt. I would lean Quake 1 for what you want.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yes, some source ports allow animation interpolation with the base models. But it causes some issues because the original models were not designed with motion interpolation in mind (watch from 1:34 if the embed does not start at the correct time):

www.youtube.com

PRO QUAKE

It's finally here! Before the inevitable slide into misery and decline that will happen after 100k subs, time to do a long-requested and long-planned video a...

What an awesome video lol,the guy commenting and playing is great,bookmarked(about time,it got over 1 million views lol),thanks for posting that link.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to disable the CRT filter on Quake 64?
Couldn't find anyone that had answered this when I was trying to find out, so hopefully this hasn't already been answered a bunch of times already.

If you're on PC, open the console and type:
seta r_crtmode "0"

Didn't see a menu option.

Last edited:

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
OOF. Just did the C'thon level in episode 1 and the framerate TANKS really bad if you have the enhanced models on. Something about his new model just makes the game chug. I hope they can get that sorted at some point, because DAMN.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever made finally gets the quality out-of-the-box modern rerelease it deserved out of the blue, and with a bunch of bells and whistles besides. Warms my heart to see Quake 1 get this kind of love after all the attention DOOM's gotten in recent years. ❤️

Shoutouts to whoever put so many visual toggles in the options menu, so I can turn animation interpolation off like god intended without a .cfg edit. :D

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this and Doom 64 via the PS app. Won't be back from vacation until Sunday, but next week imma be blowing up Shamblers on PS4/PS5.

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
If you're using kb&m, you can also just hit Esc. Admittedly, though, I was surprised that it actually worked, given Bethesda's history of being a stick in the mud in this area, haha.
True; but you have to spam the Esc key, to skip each individual video.
I was also happily surprised that it actually worked as well. It may not be an annoyance to some, but I personally can't stand intro videos. Especially when it's added to games that didn't originally have them.

Do "new" saves take over the vanilla saves? I have my Mission #1 saves that I would mind keeping but ultimately, I would be okay with starting over with the new fangled version.
They do not. The vanilla saves stay safe in their install folder. So for Mission pack #1, the vanilla saves are located in the Quake\hipnotic folder.

The game has a level select in the new game menu, so you can go right back there if you want. It's very convenient.
You're right, that is very nifty.

Last edited:

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I expected the bare minimum with this port, but this is above and beyond. Diving in tonight for sure.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamy port. It's really great.

To be a slight whinger though (booooo!), I've started playing the first new expansion (can't remember the names) and I'm pretty turned off by how sci-fi it is. I'm only a couple of levels in so only giving mega early impressions but it feels like Quake 2 in Quake. Which is totally not my bag.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have some controller config tips for the Switch version? This could benefit from motion controls but I'm not sure where to start to get a workable baseline. The default is far too slow on all counts for this game.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Something feels incredibly off with the Xbox controller settings, has anyone found settings that feel better? Are there deadzone options?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This seems like a great port, and the free upgrade from the original on Steam is a fantastic bonus.

My only issue is the same one I've always had with Quake: the weird, sluggish response on the WASD movement.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
OOF. Just did the C'thon level in episode 1 and the framerate TANKS really bad if you have the enhanced models on. Something about his new model just makes the game chug. I hope they can get that sorted at some point, because DAMN.
Have you tried turning off the depth of field? I noticed that effect does eat a lot of performance.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried turning off the depth of field? I noticed that effect does eat a lot of performance.
I already had it off. The frame rate shot back up as soon as I turned off the enhanced models. Rest of the game was running fine as far as I could tell until I hit C'thon. Maybe it's just the PS4 version that has the issue but that'd be odd it it was.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is I'm happy this franchise is finally on PC. It always seemed like a great fit for the platform.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone have some controller config tips for the Switch version? This could benefit from motion controls but I'm not sure where to start to get a workable baseline. The default is far too slow on all counts for this game.

Crank gyro up to 16, stick sensitivity is up to you but my threshold is achieving 180 turn in a jump length-time.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Just tried Dissolution of Eternity and it had music that wasn't the Reznor stuff, can't tell you with absolute certainty it's what you're asking for as I haven't played the expansions with music before but as far as I can tell, yes.

Thanks for checking. Had a listen and yeah, it seems to be the right soundtrack. :)
Must admit that I'm quite nostalgic for the music in the expansions.