• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ed, is the halved HP on Nightmare an expected behavior?
Indeed. Nightmare mode originally just sped up all the enemy reaction times, causing them to become turreted (stand in place and shoot all the time rather than moving) more than anything else. This would have the weird side effect of making the game easier in most cases. So Nightmare's behaviours were changed to make something actually objectively harder. The lower health limit is one of these changes.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Nightdive are so fucking good at what they do.

I hope iD reboots Quake in the style of Quake 1. Still oozes atmosphere.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Nightmare mode originally just sped up all the enemy reaction times, causing them to become turreted (stand in place and shoot all the time rather than moving) more than anything else. This would have the weird side effect of making the game easier in most cases. So Nightmare's behaviours were changed to make something actually objectively harder. The lower health limit is one of these changes.
I imagined it was intentional since, for instance, Ogre behavior on Hard makes it harder than Nightmare because of all the Grenade spam and never approaching to chainsaw us to death LMAO

Nice addition! Thanks for the info! :)

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This really doesn't cut it for me or even get me tempted to purchase...and I grew up playing this, multiplayer over 14.4kbps modems, plus everything else had to deal with back in the day.

But after having Quake II RTX for the past year or two, this looks completely underwhelming.
This if far better that Quake II RTX. The enhancements here actually respect the aesthetics of the original and can be turned off if you do choose. This port is fantastic!

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
playing on series x and the aiming feels just wrong.

Same - i'm usually fine with the default in most FPS games, but this feels really weird to me. If anyone finds decent settings please let me know.

Edit - Aim Assist off, Aim X to 7 and Aim Y to 6 feels waaay better.

Nov 30, 2017
Am I insane or did they make Quake 1 like, really really bright? The dark moody atmosphere is almost gone. Like, I was just playing Quake through Quakespasm last night and it wasn't this bright.
You aren't insane. I seem to remember the original GLQuake having the same problem but I've been using DarkPlaces for the last 20 odd years. Turning off fog helps a little on some maps but it's very annoying. Does the gamma console command let you get it lower than the brightness slider?

As nice as some of the enhancements are it's not like they haven't been available in multiple source ports for decades, and it's not worth it if I have to adjust my monitor brightness just to play it :\

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

For people who don't have it on steam, you can get it on indiegala for $1.26, I just bought it and the code does indeed work for the new version, all credit goes to Wario64 of course

EDIT: Seems to be already posted, still an awesome deal

thanks for linking the tweet, dope deal

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
With the base models? Interesting. I was under the assumption that required replacing the models, and I've always really liked the look of the base models (strictly keyframed animation aside, of course). I'll need to look into the source ports, as I already own the original on Steam, but I'm definitely picking this up on Xbox. Hell, I'm so excited that I just bought it for Xbox, despite already being subscribed to Game Pass.
Yes, some source ports allow animation interpolation with the base models. But it causes some issues because the original models were not designed with motion interpolation in mind (watch from 1:34 if the embed does not start at the correct time):

www.youtube.com

PRO QUAKE

It's finally here! Before the inevitable slide into misery and decline that will happen after 100k subs, time to do a long-requested and long-planned video a...

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Am I insane or did they make Quake 1 like, really really bright? The dark moody atmosphere is almost gone. Like, I was just playing Quake through Quakespasm last night and it wasn't this bright.
You can turn off the additional lighting and effects in the menu and bring it more inline with the original release.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah this is as fun as I remember lol. The multiplayer felt way too laggy from one test match, but I'll have to try some more. It feels decent on controller- not as good as DOOM, but it requires actual aiming so that's to be expected.
If you are playing in custom games, your connection quality is entirely at the mercy of whomever is running the lobby, and 60hz might be a bit much for some folks copper-grade upstreams. Only matchmaking uses dedicated servers.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible. Always preferred it to Doom in the 90's only slightly. Just a more interesting world, level layouts, secrets. Some great enemies and weapons too.

Even compared to Q2, I preferred the gothic fantasy feel of castles and dungeons to the hard sci-fi of Q2.

Port is neat too. Weapon wheel + rumble + Gyro + widescreen and texture/lighting filters. So good.

Even remembered the secret to access "Nightmare" diff from decades ago. This is good shit.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
If this has gyro on ps5 I'm buying it to support this more games need gyro aiming like switch does

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I played so much Quake in college. It'll be hard using a controller instead of a mouse.

I used to swap out the Reznor soundtrack CD for show tunes and annoyed the hell out of my roommate.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I played so much Quake in college. It'll be hard using a controller instead of a mouse.

I used to swap out the Reznor soundtrack CD for show tunes and annoyed the hell out of my roommate.
You monster.

I'm pretty sure that's a war crime.

I've also downloaded it to my Series X to try it but I really think I'll struggle Vs my PC setup here control wise.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Was really excited for a physical release too but I knew it would be Limited Run like the others... and there it is! :(

Oh well, can live with my digital version.

Ironically, everything being Limited Run these days has put such a huge dent in my physical game collecting. >_>

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yes, some source ports allow animation interpolation with the base models. But it causes some issues because the original models were not designed with motion interpolation in mind (watch from 1:34 if the embed does not start at the correct time):

www.youtube.com

PRO QUAKE

It's finally here! Before the inevitable slide into misery and decline that will happen after 100k subs, time to do a long-requested and long-planned video a...

Oh, I didn't even think of the muzzle flash issues. That's funny. Am I correct in assuming that there're mods with the "original" models with proper rigging to allow the animations to play out properly, or are all of the replacement models higher in visual fidelity to the point that they barely resemble the original low-poly ones?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
woah are the enemy animations less stiff???
They're interpolating the enemy animations, so yes. The original enemy animations had crazy low framerates. Like 10 FPS or something.

edit: I guess Nightdive even created new models with new animations. This is such a cool release. (Would be nice if it was fully compatible with Arcane Dimensions but I understand that that's not really in scope for a project like this)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Question about the API being used (particularly for the Steam version). Is it using OpenGL or is it running on Vulkan? I would very much want to play it using Vulkan.

Feedback for Switch version: Dock mode works great! Glad Inverted aim works seperate from gyro aim (a common mistake for many devs!), but I do have to say the music seems a bit soft (both on Switch/Steam), and it feels like the sensitivity settings need to be cranked up in Handheld mode, particularly the gyro aiming, which I already have on Max in Docked mode.

Feedback #2: There's no way to turn off the CRT filters in Quake 64!

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Oh, I didn't even think of the muzzle flash issues. That's funny. Am I correct in assuming that there're mods with the "original" models with proper rigging to allow the animations to play out properly, or are all of the replacement models higher in visual fidelity to the point that they barely resemble the original low-poly ones?
Other source ports seem to have solved that problem while still using the original models and animations, but I'm actually not sure how they did that. Must have been some manual adjustments.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They're interpolating the enemy animations, so yes. The original enemy animations had crazy low framerates. Like 10 FPS or something.

edit: I guess Nightdive even created new models with new animations. This is such a cool release. (Would be nice if it was fully compatible with Arcane Dimensions but I understand that that's not really in scope for a project like this)

quake 1 has my favorite enemy designs ever tbh, really cool at the time and it stuck, but yeah they moved all jittery. on gamepass so ill check it thanks

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Feedback #3: Depth-of-field might cause framerate drops on Switch. Disabling the effect alleviates the problem completely (much like motion blur, I tend to prefer these effects off for Quake). I kinda wish the team could figure out a more cost-efficient way to implement the effect, which might be impacting the performance.

Aug 30, 2020
Quake is truly back. Managed to get everyone to ragequit the first game I just played.

Wished it had been RTGI, but it's still cool to get people playing Quake.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Question about the API being used (particularly for the Steam version). Is it using OpenGL or is it running on Vulkan? I would very much want to play it using Vulkan.
We long since ditched OpenGL back in Shadowman. Vulkan is the new default, and for Quake while there is D3D11 it's hidden and only used as a fallback if Vulkan init fails.

animalcrosser

Banned
Apr 7, 2020
Team Fortress and Future vs Fantasy are mods I'll never forget. This game is one of the greats, plays well on Xbox but I miss my mouse/keyboard controls

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Wow, seems like they nailed it. Nightdive doesn't miss

Can't play this for a few weeks but just bought to show support

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So I only briefly played this over lunch but what's the consensus on making this look like the DOS version? Basically turn off everything in the display options? I really appreciate the low resolution mode btw. Feels nostalgic in the best of ways.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
We long since ditched OpenGL back in Shadowman. Vulkan is the new default, and for Quake while there is D3D11 it's hidden and only used as a fallback if Vulkan init fails.
Awesome!

I feel Novum, the person behind vkQuake, should be given some credit as I tend to play Quake primarily in Vulkan. I also appreciate the fact that the textures feel grittier than the vanilla + vkQuake too, which lends me to believe that they've been touched up somewhat (increase in texture bitrate from 16-bit to 32-bit coloring?) but haven't been changed/overhauled that it would ruin "the look and feel of Quake". (Then again, I prefer filtered textures and anti-aliasing so who am I to say?)

Overall, the Switch port is extremely solid! I'm just blasting through the levels one by one, and appart from the performance penalty incured by the depth of field effect, I think this is another winner. (Now port Forsaken Remastered next!)

Also does this version of the game natively run on Linux?

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Probably already been answered, but has all the music been restored?
The product listing mentions Trent Reznor, but what about the Jeehun Hwang soundtracks for the expansions?

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
For comfy couch steam folks:

In game controller settings: 10 for X & Y, in steam settings relaxed stick response and square dead zone shape. This makes the game playable on normal for me, probably could improve further with more tweaking.

Edit: wide stick response is better.

Last edited:

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
God, I hate this. It's f'n "Quake" it would sell if you put it out in stores completely normal, why does it have to be Limited Run games? So this 10 dollar game now turns into a 40 dollar game with 40 dollar shipping to Europe or so. Unnecessary.
It's a physical copy of Quake. Buy that shit.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
What's the advantage of this release vs sourceports on PC?
  • ambient occlusion (optional)
  • dynamic shadows (optional)
  • improved models and animations (optional)
  • additional Quake 64 version with colored lighting (and a hilarious CRT filter)
  • music included (working out of the box)
  • expansions 1&2 included
  • additional episodes included
  • reworked nightmare mode (50 HP max, different enemy ai)
I personally like the ambient occlusion and dynamic shadows. Subtle upgrades that preserve the original art style. Not so sure about the reworked nightmare mode. Would have liked to have the original nightmare mode as an option at least.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The composite/CRT filter in Quake 64 is really cool... but I'd still like the option to disable it!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Probably already been answered, but has all the music been restored?
The product listing mentions Trent Reznor, but what about the Jeehun Hwang soundtracks for the expansions?
Just tried Dissolution of Eternity and it had music that wasn't the Reznor stuff, can't tell you with absolute certainty it's what you're asking for as I haven't played the expansions with music before but as far as I can tell, yes.

How do you start the Quake 64 version?
Go to add-ons.