• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What does this have going for it that playing via Quakespasm or any other sourceport (don't @ me mods, the source code was released for free to the public years ago) doesn't?
Why would we @ you when A: Quake is dirt cheap and B: shareware Quake works with every source port I've heard of.

There's nothing wrong with talking about engine ports.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
I play through Quake every year through Quakespasm (ultrawide implantation and graphical upgrades). Should I be excited about this?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Why turn it off? It's so good with gyro on.
Can't get my brain to coordinate with gyro. It's definitely smooth and well implemented, but I just don't do well with gyro on Switch with any game. Guess I'm just too old school. I feel like i'm attempting to make precise aiming by moving the ENTIRE SYSTEM and often missing the mark wildly instead of just slightly adjusting my thumb. Either way, both control schemes seem well considered regardless how one plays. it's a great port all round!

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Quake 1 has been horribly forgotten for so long, but NO LONGER! :')

And what a wonderful way to bring it back, hearing this thing is coming out OH AND ALSO ITS ACTUALLY OUT NOW really put a smile on my face. I feel like reading old CVG magazines again and getting lost in the hype.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's smooth as silk on Xbox - as expected ofc.

But man, I just cant play these types of games with a gamepad :P

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

You and me both, friend. But I asked them last year, and they were kind enough to reply, but the news weren't so good:

Food for thought, though: Unlike the other Turok titles there was no PC version of Rage Wars. This means that any work towards Rage Wars would have to start at completely reverse engineering its assets off of an N64 ROM. Processes like this can make such ports harder to start.

No idea if things has changed since then, but I don't lose hope!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played around with the Steam version. This is a quality release. It defaults to basically everything I want out of a Quake source port. We don't even have to mod the music in either!

AND there are new expansions from Machine Games? This is such a nice surprise.

Jun 17, 2018
I'm a bit disappointed, the game controls terribly on Xbox. It feels like it's related to the dead zone on both sticks. It's weird and basically unplayable in MP.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it out on Steam and at a glance it's pretty damn excellent. Display options let you toggle things like the dynamic shadows, texture smoothing, and model interpolation, so you can have it as new or old as you prefer. Someone mentioned something about gibbing not working earlier -- totally not true, works just as it always has.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'll be the first to admit... I didn't know about Nightdive Studios. But now I'll never forget.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that feels the controls on Xbox aren't too good? It's like there's acceleration I can't disable on it. Feels weird to turn, even at high sensitivities.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I noticed the Xbox version has a bunch of graphical settings off by default including Ambient Oclusion, AntiAliasing, Texture Smoothing, and others.

Any benefit of leaving those off? or is this just personal preference?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've got Quake 3 on the Bethesda launcher, but I'm thinking of grabbing Quake 3 on Steam while it's on sale.
I notice it doesn't mention cross play, but I wonder if that's going to get a free upgrade as well? Would be nice!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My god, new content, a perfectly nice exe, all the official music, support out the box, my god it's all I've wanted. Once Arcane Dimensions becomes a simple "select and install mod" like they did with certain Doom WADs I'll just see myself out of new releases for awhile.

we luv u Nightdive

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, gamepad aiming feels fucking AWFUL

HOW can devs keep fucking this up? This has been a solved issue for TWO DECADES.

Load up any version of Call of Duty since Call of Duty 2. Make the aim stick control exactly the same as in that game. Simple.

ugggh

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
Also the controls on xbox are kinda off. can't seem to figure it out but i never feel like I'm aiming correctly.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh god. I just realized something.

This has cross play.

Those maniacs who have been playing Quake since day one, that are essentially the most elite gamers I have ever run across are suddenly going to be fed a bunch of people trying to play this on dual analogue.

I hope someone streams it.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
When I see this I quote Jim Ryan in my mind; "Why would anyone want to play this?". I feel like I'm as out of touch as he is though, but it looks like shit. But it was fun back then, maybe it still can be for an hour or two.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So last year I did a Quake marathon, and played through the base game, the expansions, and Arcane Dimensions. I used Quakespasm, and don't judge, played on my TV using a controller, which was quite a bit nicer to play than you may imagine. This does feel noticeably more "floaty" to control than that method on console, at least to my memory, though so far it's still an incredibly appealing package.

The new models seem nice, and are only a smallish upgrade over the originals. I'll probably play without them after my first play, but nice for an option. They don't feel out of place.

Just my initial thoughts after a couple of levels.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I just haven't played Quake in a while, but is it me or does the audio sound extremely bad and distorted, with effects sometimes cutting out entirely?

I don't like that cl_rollangle is tied in with cl_bob as a "view bob" option, either.
Quake doesn't have view bobbing - it has weapon bobbing and camera rolling.
I like weapon bobbing, but hate camera rolling. Instant motion sickness.
Enabling the "view bobbing" and then setting cl_rollangle to 0 fixes this, but I wish it was an option rather than a console command.

I need to figure out what command they're using to limit frame rate, too. 120 FPS at 120Hz feels laggy and the options are a limited drop-down rather than letting you enter a desired value.
Same thing for mouse sensitivity, actually. It's a slider in 0.5 increments.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wait wtf can someone link me the new trent reznor song? they didn't just get permission but he actually composed a new song?

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
The console is enabled by default on the Windows version.

You can switch into a mod pack with the `game` command. e.g. `game ad` for Arcane Dimensions, when you've put the appropriate data in your rerelease directory.

Some maps (one I've tested from Alkaline) do not work in this port. Seems they didn't raise the limits enough for the map loader. Map loading times are also quite slow compared to vkQuake.