• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Restart Steam. Bethesda was a bit late with updating the launch options, and restarting Steam will force a refresh.

Thanks, WE LIVE BOYS.

12bbkke.png

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
i hope the old branch is still easily available for people if it makes it harder to mess around with in some ways

QuakeWorld is gone (no surprise, I suppose, since playing it via Steam wasn't recommended, anyway), but the GLQuake versions of the original game and expansions are still there.

Edit: Ah, you can still launch QuakeWorld from the installation directory. WinQuake, too.

Last edited:

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Hm, I downloaded the game from scratch. Steam said it was over 1 GB but the game barely seems updated. I don't see any options for high resolutions or widescreen, I don't hear any music when I start the game.
Try the "Verify integrity of game files" option and it should trigger the update, that's what I had to do.
Now I have options to either play new version or the original.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS! Out of no where! Finally!

I've waited so long for Quake 1 to return, finally after all these retro FPS releases they finally get to the best one!

Quake 1 is such a huge part of my gaming identity, even as a console/Nintendo guy, at that moment in time Quake 1 was everything. Reading about it in gaming mags, absorbing all the hype, playing the weird space medieval lovecraftian story then playing LAN multiplayer with my brother and bots! So many memories.

And as usual they do SUCH an amazing job with these re-releases, above and beyond with the content added (and more to come!) All for a nice little price, this is how all retro releases should be done. <3

<3 Hello again my old friend! <3

53IblH5.gif

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played it on Xbox just now and it seemed like enemies weren't gibbing. Maybe it only happens with stronger weapons now?
Now that the Steam version has updated, gibbing is definitely still there. It's in the gameplay demo at the start. Grenade launcher.

edit: Actually, it seems toned down. The zombies are liquified but I'm not seeing any gibs. What's up with that.
edit edit: There are definitely gibs. Saw them in the first level when I blew up a barrel. Comparing it with the original version, I don't think anything was changed.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
So this is gonna just update the existing steam version? Dope. So glad they I've been putting off replaying the game, gonna definitely do it now. Might also try it via GamePass on Xbox one for fun

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
What does this have going for it that playing via Quakespasm or any other sourceport (don't @ me mods, the source code was released for free to the public years ago) doesn't?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With the way the 64 add-on is done, I can definitely see a Saturn add-on coming.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
F**king Quake 64 just for no reason as well... WHY NOT?? I love these guys. Forgot to mention Nightdive in my gushing on Twitter so I'll do it here.

<3 Retro releases done right!

Not only getting my PC nostalgia on but wonderful N64 too - OK THEN!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's been awhile since I last played Quake and I don't think I've ever played it much on a console, but it feels weird to me how fast you move around and how slow the mouse look is by default. Going to have to tweak that a bit. It feels so weird right now.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The original version is still dirt cheap on CDkeys, I wonder if I can still upgrade if I buy that version.