• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is this going to be released as its own separate thing? Like, will I be able to go on Steam and buy Quake 2RT (or whatever its actual name is)?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Still makes me smile seeing so many of my texture assets there in use that I made so many years ago... crazy times...
It must feel good to have actively participated in the development of one of the most legendary and consistently lauded PC games of all time. Are you gonna play through it again with Ray tracing for some feels?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Man, i wish they would have done that mod on Doom 3

The details in Doom 3 are a bit smaller, which might require a bit more rays cast to have a similar impact. When you don't have enough rays for the geometric detail of a scene, despite some good denoising you'll end up with things looking bit flat, poor shadow definition, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Somebody should do a rundown on how this ray-traced version compares to the path-traced version. Wonder why they opted for the former instead of further developing the later.
Man, i wish they would have done that mod on Doom 3
Well, somebody could take the code for this and port it to DOOM 3 if they wanted. They'll probably face a bunch of new performance and quality challenges in doing so.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So is this going to be released as its own separate thing? Like, will I be able to go on Steam and buy Quake 2RT (or whatever its actual name is)?
How do I install that? Just buy the game on steam?

In a month or whatever you'll download the mod for free and unzip it to your Quake 2 folder.

Huh. Somebody should do a rundown on how this ray-traced version compares to the path-traced version. Wonder why they opted for the former instead of further developing the later.

Compare to q2vkpt or the old software path traced mod or what?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Looks amazing. GOD I really hope Cyberpunk 2077 impliments RT Reflections or Real Time Global Illumination. That plus DXR, Killer APP.

It's too bad The Division is partnered with AMD. RTX for The Division 2 and Division 1 would have been absolutely incredible.

Many games look soooo good, but are really hampered by the limitations of GI/Shadows/SSR.

Oct 25, 2017
Compare to q2vkpt or the old software path traced mod or what?
Quake RTX vs Q2VKPT, not the older Q2PT. I'm just wondering whythey took the work done on the pathtracer, and then used that to go all in on raytracing instead.
Over the last hour, I read the blog post - they talk about the noise in Q2VKPT being a factor they wanted to eliminate, so that might be the primary reason.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Quake RTX vs Q2VKPT, not the older Q2PT. I'm just wondering whythey took the work done on the pathtracer, and then used that to go all in on raytracing instead.
Over the last hour, I read the blog post - they talk about the noise in Q2VKPT being a factor they wanted to eliminate, so that might be the primary reason.

At the very least, I suspect they're adding some non-raytraced effects, or are simply departing from fully path traced effects, so maybe that's why they didn't want to call it fully path traced, if it wasn't anymore.

I suspect (I would bet money) those strong lights cast from the windows into the rooms are not path traced, perhaps raytraced shadows (which would be different from path traced lighting in that the shadows are explicitly calculated, rather than calculated indirectly by diffuse bounces from the illuminated surfaces toward the windows). Frankly, the window sunlight could not appear so well defined on current (exclusively) path traced illumination. You would need dozens of rays per pixel for that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield V with RTX: Meh, whatever.

Metro: Looks nice, but not $1200 nice.

Quake 2: I NEED IT NOW

I apparently have odd priorities.

Seriously though, I love how it looks both with and without path tracing. I wish they'd do Quake 1 too, since I think that game holds up better visually than Quake 2.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Seriously though, I love how it looks both with and without path tracing. I wish they'd do Quake 1 too, since I think that game holds up better visually than Quake 2.

You have RIGHTEOUS priorities.

This Quake II looks like what the FUTURE LOOKED LIKE (back in the day).

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Derogatory Language
It was fun to watch this live and gasping with the audience.

Imagine of this had been shown with the rtx unveiling.
Maybe tards wouldn't have called ray tracing a gimmick.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

it's weird and kinda funny how something older and low poly somehow makes a more impressive example
that video is astonishing, this is probably one of the most exciting game tech videos I've seen in a while

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I hope my bro hasn't seen this newer tech demo, he'll probably blow his tax returns on this.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Those volumetric smoke and fire effects look ace.

giphy.gif

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
Damn this impressive, I love those retro-future things. I'd love to time travel to show it to my 15 year old self who was blown away by the original lighting in Q2.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
damn that's impressive!

Could it possible in the future to "ray trace" other older games or does it need development time? Like, could we polish up old games by simply having RT-capable graphics cards?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
damn that's impressive!

Could it possible in the future to "ray trace" other older games or does it need development time? Like, could we polish up old games by simply having RT-capable graphics cards?

Needs at least some dev time if the engine doesn't support it. For engines that do support it already, maybe it will be possible to achieve with mods.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Still makes me smile seeing so many of my texture assets there in use that I made so many years ago... crazy times...
Whoa! What assets of yours are in this game?

I was a kid when I got my first 3D accelerator in 98 and Quake 2 was my first foray in that part of PC Gaming. The pride you must feel strongly eclipses mine on revisiting an old milestone with a fresh coat of paint I'm sure. :)

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Well, holy shit.
Maybe it's the teenager in me that literally lost his mind on Q2 back in the day but it looks better than some modern games.