• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
We are already forced to listen to shitty french music during weekends on the radio.

Fuck I hate this place

I couldn't even order a Star Wars figure the other day because the fucking package was not in french

How does that work? Like customs will seize an item if it doesn't have french labeling?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds pretty strange, is there a historical/cultural need that I'm missing? If there was a law requiring only American music played when on hold with an American office that would be very odd to me.
Because we are surrounded by anglophones and want to safekeep our culturage heritage and keep our language alive. People will say "but does it help really?" I say just look at your french colonized areas like louisana and new orleans where the language is on life support. We don't want to become that.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is the logical conclusion of a federal arrangement where one party is allowed special consideration and not treated equally in the federation.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Glad most government services are now offered online and at non-government buildings as "service-providers".

The waiting rooms were boring enough.

Also wonder if this extends to "instrumental music has to also be created in Quebec".

i.e. No more classical music.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory and insensitive drive-by, not reading the OP
Good. See Rest of Canada, you do things like that when you want to have a culture and to preserve it (although tbh I don't think this instance in particular will do much of a difference). But I do hope they will make exception for French music from the rest of canada too.
If any culture needs silly mandates like this to be "preserved", then it's pretty much dead already.
Pointless nationalist bullshit, that's all this type of legislation is. let the people play whatever music they want. Some people are really crazy insecure.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely hate doing any work in Quebec. Having to get everything translated and all of the government red tape is a nightmare. My company has pulled major work from the region because they are a nightmare of bureaucracy

Be glad you don't work in Europe then, winey wittle baby. There, most things need to be translated into FIVE languages. I can't bear to imagine how miserable your life would be. 🙄

shutterstock_108399959.jpg

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
If any culture needs silly mandates like this to be "preserved", then it's pretty much dead already.
Pointless nationalist bullshit, that's all this type of legislation is. let the people play whatever music they want. Some people are really crazy insecure.

Did you miss the part where this only affects government buildings and music on hold? How did you go from that to people not being able to play the music they want?

Some of y'all are being ridiculous.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
How is the government promoting music produced here bad lol?

Some of you really wish the Quite Revolution had never happened.

Last edited:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Can you explain why in Alberta for example, you have a huge majority that share those concepts while also having the good old Canadian culture?

I can ask the same question using any remote locations in Canada. Even Ontario.

All these are tied to ideas of colonialism, racism and white nationalism. The historical dogwhistles "Old stock Canadians" and "Pure Laine" are even pretty similar. I never said anything about white nationalism being unique to Quebec.

We have the same issues and did the same mistakes that other countries like Australia or the United States have

Considering the current right-wing CAQ party got in using a Republican-style "fear of the other"-type campaign....

If you have to talk about racism, it's not because of the "quebec culture".

I agree. It's about a nebulous idea of quebec culture being used as a wedge issue or tool to spread those ideals. And it's been incredibly successful at it, both historically and currently. Where else in Canada are government workers not allowed to wear a turban or hijab?

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if some of Queb Rap classifies as French or English since many of them use Franglais

I honestly love some of the music coming out of Quebec/Montreal, but this is an odd law

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think this law is kind of dumb and I don't even like Quebec music in general, and of course indigenous language music should be more represented, but there's some really obnoxious ignorance in this thread. It's honestly a bit aggravating to read.

This sounds pretty strange, is there a historical/cultural need that I'm missing? If there was a law requiring only American music played when on hold with an American office that would be very odd to me.
Long story short, Quebec is very proud of its history due to the nature of how Canada was "created". There's a Quebec nationalist party that is fairly popular in the province and there's a general atmosphere of promoting Quebec culture and the French language that isn't in other provinces as a majority of the country's francophone speakers (native French speakers) live in Quebec.
Kiiiinda glossing over the part where the English tried to assimilate the French and how the French Canadians were treated as second class citizens until pretty much the 1960's here brehs

The article doesn't say it, but if you read between the lines you know what the answer is. Quebec has been oppressing it's English population since at least when my father lived there in the 50s.
lol

Anglos had all the power until the Quiet Revolution

I absolutely hate doing any work in Quebec. Having to get everything translated and all of the government red tape is a nightmare. My company has pulled major work from the region because they are a nightmare of bureaucracy
I'm sorry our existence is an inconvenience to you.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
Be glad you don't work in Europe then, winey wittle baby. There, most things need to be translated into FIVE languages. I can't bear to imagine how miserable your life would be. 🙄

shutterstock_108399959.jpg
I do every day. The only place I'd rather not do work is in Germany or France. The labour laws are so hard to deal with compared to the US

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
J'ai jamais compris pourquoi les Québécois ont autant la haine de tout ce qui est anglosaxon, au point de tout traduire même si ça n'a pas de sens de le faire.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Kiiiinda glossing over the part where the English tried to assimilate the French and how the French Canadians were treated as second class citizens until pretty much the 1960's here brehs
That's why I asked if there was a historical of cultural context I was missing. Sounds like there was.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I do think people overlook that the Quebecois have had to deal with tons of oppression. Just look at the Oka crisis for reference.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Poor SAQ and SAAQ employees... I hope they like L'Amérique pleure.

And it's not a "law". It's the government deciding what its gonna play in its buildings. They're not forcing anyone else to play specific music. (yet) Normally they would just change the playlist and it wouldn't even be news, but it's the CAQ so of course they wrap it up with a nice blue patriotism bow.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I think also that Canadian Radio stations/TV stations have to air a certain amount of Canadian tv shows or musicians? I could be way off base with that.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
This is the most minimal shit and is absolutely fine. Dunno why people are losing their minds about it, especially those outside of the province. A lot of the rest of Canada should be forced into having more French in general, anyways.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Do you see me complaining? I watched that shit on TQS.

Apologies. My point about the thread remains when I can't discern sarcasm or being tongue in cheek, from people being serious. Also TQS DBZ was the shit.

Because before the Quite Revolution, French Canadians were straight up second class citizens in their own province.

I say that as someone that moved to Ontario, and married a franco ontarienne, we still are in every province except Quebec!

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Québec threads on ERA are always so strange to me. You would think that of all places, people on here would have a more favourable view towards a minority that has historically been discriminated against not all that long ago. Whether that law is actually a good idea or not, I at least understand the intent. Not everyone has to adhere to American cultural imperialism.

I guess if there ever was a thread about South Tyrol on here, people would be bewildered why anyone wouldn't just enjoy la dolce vita and speak Italian all day long (except of course those that would ask "They don't?" and "What's a South Tyrol?").

As for the topic, I could recommend a bit of really good Québécois music, but I doubt anyone would be interested in playing that in government buildings 😉

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For government entities, sure. I just wish they had more English music on the radio, it seems like they're forced now to put French music more but at the same time, current newer French songs kind of sucks...