• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they remove the "wowee you got [THIS ITEM]" every time you boot the game, I'll be happy. I already had 30, y'all, I ain't in Groundhog Day.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Option to disable Fi's random prompts during gameplay. When I last played the game, I enabled a cheat that did exactly this and it was a huge improvement. Fi still explains what she needs (or doesn't need) to explain in scripted dialogue sequences but once you're in control, no more beeping prompt to interrupt you.

On a similar note, maybe cut down Fi's cutscene dialogue a bit when the same option is used.

Fix the item explanation bug.

Cut out the excessive backtracking in the middle act of the game.

Let us use the anologue sticks for swimming, flying and puzzles, even when using motion controls for sword fighting.

Apr 21, 2018
The big ones are really the item notification and making fi's help a lot more optional. Maybe a faster text/cutscenes option.

I don't see them changing the structure of the world or gameplay in any significant way.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I pray it is able to be turned off. Shit reminds me of the original:

SS_combat_gameplay_details_oct5.jpg
There was an option in the menu for "Pro HUD" that I guess a lot of people somehow didn't manage to find in between complaints about handholding. lol

image.png

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the trailer made me oddly nostalgic for Skyward Sword, which is strange because I fucking hated it.

Like, it's been too long so I can't recall my complaints about it directly, but I remember how I felt when I finished it. I was really satisfied and immediately went online to talk to my friend about it, since he played it too.

And we were like "It was pretty decent, right?" and he was like "Yeah, except for Fi. Christ, she was annoying, right?" "Oh yeah, worst character in a long, long time. And honestly the sword combat never really clicked for me, personally, they made it so slow to accomodate for how finicky it was to control." "Yeah, and actually my hand got tired playing it for long stretches, it sucked. And can you believe how they reused those levels?" "I know, right? Big budget game like this and they're reusing assets this poorly. And they made it into a fucking stealth section, of all things." "I know, and..."

and it went on and on and on like that until we realized that we basically hated everything in the game. I don't know how that translated into us feeling good about it after finishing playing it, but the moment we started talking about it, and we laid out everything we had a problem with, it was like "This game is awful, wtf were we talking about saying it was decent"

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Easy there. Was being cheeky, not patronizing.

Either way I'll remain skeptical until we get something authoritative.
Idk what else we could possibly take away from the trailer being >30fps and Nintendo saying the gameplay movements will be "smoother and more immediate thanks to increased processing power."

This is the Nintendo marketing you'll get re: frame rate.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
  • Cut the opening fluff
  • No annoying pop-ups for items that I've already collected
  • Less Fi interruptions
  • Less Fi warnings
  • Less Fi entirely
  • Cut that part where you have to climb the volcano before the Fire Sanctuary out completely
  • Cut out Imprisoned rematches

Oct 25, 2017
Idk what else we could possibly take away from the trailer being >30fps and Nintendo saying the gameplay movements will be "smoother and more immediate thanks to increased processing power."

This is the Nintendo marketing you'll get re: frame rate.
To be clear, we are specifically talking about the game being 60fps. Being above 30fps does not necessarily mean a steady 60fps (though it absolutely should be).....unless I'm missing something! Which I might very well be

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
To be clear, we are specifically talking about the game being 60fps. Being above 30fps does not necessarily mean a steady 60fps (though it absolutely should be).....unless I'm missing something! Which I might very well be
I mean, there's no guarantee it's steady...but if it's consistently higher than 30fps why would it be anything but 60? This isn't a PC game heh

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's no guarantee it's steady...but if it's consistently higher than 30fps why would it be anything but 60? This isn't a PC game heh
Some console games still fluctuate, no?

Again, I would expect it to be 60! It absolutely should be. I'm just hesitant to assume anything, but I'm open to persuasion too

This will be my first time playing SS (I bought and then dropped it at launch) so I'm really hoping it's a solid 60

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the game, but had enough of it by the time you reach the Song of the hero arc. It would be cool if that was optional, and you unlock an extra scene after the credits, like BOTW or a new costume.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Can we have QOL changes for Loftwing controls? Motion controls Loftwing was painful.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
If they didn't change the amount of interruption you get (either through Fi or by picking up items) I legitimately wouldn't understand why they even bothered.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Delete Fi
Delete the stamina bar
Delete shield durability
Delete the backtracking
Delete the repeated Imprisoned fights
Delete the item pick up description screen that resets and happens every single time you turn off the game

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Please, for the love of god, get rid of that thing that pops up the first time you pick up a collectible.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I think I might take to the "criticism" that gets thrown around here more if it wasn't couched in the most juvenile and abrasive fashion possible. Like lmao no they aren't going to delete half the game because you can't handle a layered progression through an area that actually makes use of the entire game world. The general game length and what's in it is completely fine. Just reduce the amount Fi talks, take out the item description stuff and the game is pretty much good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Apart from the stupid item pop-ups and Fi notifications, I liked Skyward Sword well enough. It's definitely a weird halfway point between Zelda trying something new and sticking with the same old, and this awkwardness shines throughout the game.

Only "QOL change" I'd like is a $20-30 price drop. That tag is rough.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might take to the "criticism" that gets thrown around here more if it wasn't couched in the most juvenile and abrasive fashion possible. Like lmao no they aren't going to delete half the game because you can't handle a layered progression through an area that actually makes use of the entire game world. The general game length and what's in it is completely fine. Just reduce the amount Fi talks, take out the item description stuff and the game is pretty much good to go as far as I'm concerned.
They greatly reduced the triforce quest in TWW Wii U so I can't blame people who want some changes in that direction.

Oct 27, 2017
No amount QOL changes will make me go back to this game. Pissed me off to no end back then and was the first Zelda to make me think they finally lost it, it's a mess.
Thankfully, Botw exists and I'd rather play that again than 5 minutes of skyward sword.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
This won't happen, but I wish Skyward Sword's overworld wasn't disconnected from some of the main floating islands like Skyloft. Obviously it was like that 'cause the Wii couldn't handle a single continuous open world a la Breath of the Wild, but I always felt it would've been so cool to just fly over Skyloft, sky dive off, and land right in Skyloft without a screen transition.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
The QoL changes in this thread are the difference between me buying the game or not, and I haven't missed a Zelda release since Ocarina of Time.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This won't happen, but I wish Skyward Sword's overworld wasn't disconnected from some of the main floating islands like Skyloft. Obviously it was like that 'cause the Wii couldn't handle a single continuous open world a la Breath of the Wild, but I always felt it would've been so cool to just fly over Skyloft, sky dive off, and land right in Skyloft without a screen transition.
I thought it was part of the story that they can't see the world below.

Edit sorry misread

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They can minimize clutter but repacing seems entirely out of scope, at that point you're redoing big chunks of the game, that aint gonna happen so the tutorial will stay the same although they may make the Fi interactions less obstructive to the experience

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't see much being done with the game.

Super Mario Galaxy on Switch just had the modified controls and that was it. Skyward Sword looks to be exactly that.

Hope you guys like the "You got an X rupee" message!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Question:
Is Hero mode anything like BotW Master Mode?
Nothing like that. When something is called Hero Mode in Zelda it's always: Enemies do 2x damage and you don't get heart drops from bushes and pots. That's it.

I expect they'll have a Hero Mode, and I really, really hope that will disable a lot of the stuff mentioned - excess Fi dialogue, the constant pop-ups, that sort of thing.
Skyward Sword is the game that originated Hero Mode in Zelda games. In the original that's where you had the option to skip cutscenes (not available in the first playthrough).

I don't think the game will have support to Pro Controller and if has will be like the handheld, using the right stick, which is very sad.
But there's nothing that stops this form having Pro Controller support?!

So I'm a little confused by the new handheld/controller options (hopefully it has Pro Controller support too). They say the sword angles are now controlled by the right stick... but doesn't the right stick control the camera? Does this mean when you're in a fight (targeted) you then swing with the right stick and then when you're not targeted the right stick returns to controlling the camera? Is there a button to slash the sword or is it only the directions on the right stick? For example could you run and swing the sword to cut things or would you have to stop, target, slash and keep moving?
What camera? There never was camera control in this game. :)
No reason to assume they've added some. They could, of course but I wouldn't assume that. And yes, it'll have Pro Controller support, of course.

There was an option in the menu for "Pro HUD" that I guess a lot of people somehow didn't manage to find in between complaints about handholding. lol

image.png
The pro-HUD was only unlocked sometime after the tutorial, meaning if you checked the options right away you saw nothinig to turn off/change. If you never went back to check, you'd never know (assuming you live under a rock and don't talk to anybody who also plays this or read social media/websites that were telling you all this stuff ^^)
Some console games still fluctuate, no?

Again, I would expect it to be 60! It absolutely should be. I'm just hesitant to assume anything, but I'm open to persuasion too

This will be my first time playing SS (I bought and then dropped it at launch) so I'm really hoping it's a solid 60
Look at the footage. It's very clearly 60fps footage.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the constant Fi interruptions, dialogue, and hand holding. I seem to remember everytime you reloaded your save it would do the "you got a X" animation with the description dialogue whenever you picked up a rupee or something the first time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cutting the section where you pointlessly backtrack to the first dungeon to get the healing water for the water dragon.

JayVegas702

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm a little confused by the new handheld/controller options (hopefully it has Pro Controller support too). They say the sword angles are now controlled by the right stick... but doesn't the right stick control the camera? Does this mean when you're in a fight (targeted) you then swing with the right stick and then when you're not targeted the right stick returns to controlling the camera? Is there a button to slash the sword or is it only the directions on the right stick? For example could you run and swing the sword to cut things or would you have to stop, target, slash and keep moving?

Anyway, the biggest QOL change/addition for me would be really good controls and a way to disable more of the HUD. I wonder if we'll get a deeper dive in June (which is when I'm expecting we'll see another Direct, near to E3 time) which goes over controls and the wider changes to the game.

I was happy they announced full controller support instead of motion controls until they unveiled how they are handing the sword controls. The new controller sword controls sound more cumbersome than actually playing with motion controls. I have a feeling I'm just gonna play it with motion controls instead and get over it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
As long as the stupid ass item dialog is gone after you quit the game and come back, then all is fine for me since I don't have to play with motion controls. Those were my biggest gripes with the game.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
With buttons being a thing now (yay!), next in line would be to have the option to shut Fi up, or better yet removed altogether.