• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
*Comes into thread looking to see whether I should buy an OLED or QLED*

*Leaves it with more anxiety over any potential purchase because of HDMI 2:1*

I just want a new TV, dammit.
There will be a better TV next year. And the year after that. And then there will be an even better TV coming out. Just wait until you are dead. :P

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the precisions :)

Read a bit, and QLED are still backlighted like LCD screens at the moment, is that correct? This is confusing lol, I thought QLED was objectively better than OLED but apparently it's clearly not yet, because it still need a backlight, and can't turn of pixel independently to have true blacks? Did I get that correctly?

QLED is just an LCD screen with an LED backlight. It's branding.

OLED is the only currently available consumer screen tech with per-pixel lighting, until MicroLED or Dual Cell LCD hit the market.

Oct 25, 2017
México

Read a bit, and QLED are still backlighted like LCD screens at the moment, is that correct? This is confusing lol, I thought QLED was objectively better than OLED but apparently it's clearly not yet, because it still need a backlight, and can't turn of pixel independently to have true blacks? Did I get that correctly?
I think you are confusing QLED with the yet-to-be-released microLED tech.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Someone more tech-savy will correct me if I'm wrong but QLED is the same as a LED panel but with quantum dots in between to enhance color.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
i know 6 people that have oled tv's, every single one of them has burn-in problems. just based on that, my new tv will be a qled (probably the qf9n from samsung). edit: is there no current tv with hdmi 2.1?

anecdotes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a 2017 OLED with zero burn in and I just got a 2019 OLED with no burn in so far.

there is no picture on the market like OLED. It's fantastic

I've never had to care about what content is on either. I always play games with HUDs etc. the TV is good at pixel shifting.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Got a QLED Q7FN Samsung. Little more middle of the road. The TV gets used a lot night and day sometimes so burn in was a real scare for me as missus often watches the News. Price wise Q7 iz very reasonable and may even upgrade a few years from now

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If you don't mind about the risks of burn-in, then go OLED. It's superior in every way.

QLED is nice, but it's not as nice. The brightness of small elements in otherwise black regions of the screen get crushed to all hell due to the array dimming. Inversely, there is a glow around elements when they're big enough. These are distracting when the visuals change on a per-section basis, causing brightness changes across the screen. The motion is still not perfect and leaves a tiny little bit of ghosting behind. It can be alleviated with Black Frame Insertion, but I'm not sure the flicker and drop in brightness is even worth it.

Only go for QLED if, like me, you dread having to worry about your TV getting some burn in and having to babysit it to mitigate it, like limiting or intentionally varying your usage, running pixel refreshes, etc. With QLED I have total peace of mind and don't even care if the TV is on with static images for long periods.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There will be a better TV next year. And the year after that. And then there will be an even better TV coming out. Just wait until you are dead. :P

Yep, seems that way. Though I'm confused, this TV (the LG C9 55 Inch OLED) says it comes with 4 HDMI 2:1 ports. Is that not the same thing that people are so hyped about or is that just another confusing half-truth?

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Had a Panasonic plasma before my OLED. I've always been concerned about burn in. Never had an issue with either. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to these things. If either tv developed burn in anywhere it would have to be replaced. So far so good. 7 years with the Panny GT 50 and 2 years with the LG B7. If QLED now offers comparable picture I would say go with that. When I was shopping a couple of years ago I didn't think it did hence whyI purchased the B7.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

QLED is just an LCD panel with FALD

OLED has each individual pixel self-illuminate

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone more tech-savy will correct me if I'm wrong but QLED is the same as a LED panel but with quantum dots in between to enhance color.

Yeah. It's an LCD panel with an LED backlight sandwiching a quantum dot layer, which colors the white backlight to enhance color intensity.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
QLED is just an LCD screen with an LED backlight. It's branding.

OLED is the only currently available consumer screen tech with per-pixel lighting, until MicroLED or Dual Cell LCD hit the market.
I think you are confusing QLED with the yet-to-be-released microLED tech.
microLED? Damn lol, luckily PS5 is a year away so I have time to educate myself on the subject ^^

If I understood the article correctly, it seems to be that, yeah. I'm confused lol

QLED is just an LCD panel with FALD

OLED has each individual pixel self-illuminate
Got it, so OLED remains the better tech untill Samsung finds a way to do pixel self illumination to have actual true blacks, correct?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Yes, QLED is still a LCD TV, with a LED edge/backlight and 'quantum dot' filter. There have been improvements in contrast ratio, colour gamut (thanks to quantum dot) and, more recently, viewing angles, compared to previous generations of LCD TVs, but ultimately they still work in the same way. The higher models use a full array backlight, lower models use edge lighting with fewer dimming zones. Either way I personally am not a fan and whilst they can go very bright for HDR content, they are worse in every other area. We've got a Samsung (Q9F) QLED in our bedroom for TV viewing as I got it cheap when the newer models came in, but our LG (C9) OLED is leagues ahead in terms of image quality and used for our main living room viewing and gaming.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Buying an 8k display today is like buying an 1080p screen in 2005. You won't see used much until 3-4 years, when that panel will become average.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
microLED? Damn lol, luckily PS5 is a year away so I have time to educate myself on the subject ^^

If I understood the article correctly, it seems to be that, yeah. I'm confused lol

I wouldn't sweat it, microLED is likely years away. It's very difficult to produce.

Dual Cell LCD might be where the next wave is going, if they can get production cost down.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Had a 2016 LG OLED for 2 and a half years - no burn in. I game daily for hours. Not a single hint of any burn in.

As for QLED vs OLED - the difference in quality is huge - OLED every single time - UNLESS brightness of the panel is your only consideration - in which case....shut your curtains!

Oct 25, 2017
México

MicroLED, in theory, will supposedly have all the advantages of OLED (self-illuminating pixels) with none of the disadvantages (burn-in and low brightness). But I don't think there are plans to release any microLED TVs in the near future. The tech is still very new.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
if it's just best conditions sinario? OLED.

However, our homes are never best conditions. Do you have a very bright room? LCD (qled is still LCD backlit by LEDs). It's still the brightness king. Not in a bright room, where you can avoid direct sunlight reflections in that room? OLED. I have huge ceiling to floor bay windows to the left of living room and a window directly opposite of my tv. During a bright day, even with verticle blinds shut, it affects an OLED. If I had thick curtains wouldn't be an issue. For me however, it's worth it to have an OLED for those times when viewing times are better.

Also I have had a OLED since 2016. Mixed media, games, movies etc. No burn in. I don't play the same game for 8 months tho, so for most mixed usage, OLEDs are safe. I used to own a Plasma TV and I was burn in was far more of a risk on those than any OLED.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
i know 6 people that have oled tv's, every single one of them has burn-in problems. just based on that, my new tv will be a qled (probably the qf9n from samsung). edit: is there no current tv with hdmi 2.1?
I want to say this is probably a lie. Six people all with burn in? Lol

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
MicroLED, in theory, will supposedly have all the advantages of OLED (self-illuminating pixels) with none of the disadvantages (burn-in). But I don't think there are plans to release any microLED TVs in the near future. The tech is still very new.

I'd imagine it'll be another 2 years before we see them and they'll be very expensive

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, QLED is still a LCD TV, with a LED edge/backlight and 'quantum dot' filter. There have been improvements in contrast ratio, colour gamut (thanks to quantum dot) and, more recently, viewing angles, compared to previous generations of LCD TVs, but ultimately they still work in the same way. The higher models use a full array backlight, lower models use edge lighting with fewer dimming zones. Either way I personally am not a fan and whilst they can go very bright for HDR content, they are worse in every other area. We've got a Samsung (Q9F) QLED in our bedroom for TV viewing as I got it cheap when the newer models came in, but our LG (C9) OLED is leagues ahead in terms of image quality and used for our main living room viewing and gaming.
I wouldn't sweat it, microLED is likely years away. It's very difficult to produce.

Dual Cell LCD might be where the next wave is going, if they can get production cost down.
MicroLED, in theory, will supposedly have all the advantages of OLED (self-illuminating pixels) with none of the disadvantages (burn-in). But I don't think there are plans to release any microLED TVs in the near future. The tech is still very new.
Alright, thanks everyone for these very clear explanations, I understand much better now. So it's really likely that by the time PS5 releases, OLED will still be the best option overall. Well my girlfriend will have to say goodbey to the idead of having a TV that looks like a painting when it's turned off or buy one herself lol

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, thanks everyone for these very clear explanations, I understand much better now. So it's really likely that by the time PS5 releases, OLED will still be the best option overall. Well my girlfriend will have to say goodbey to the idead of having a TV that looks like a painting when it's turned off or buy one herself lol

IIRC Samsung are going to start making their own OLEDs soon (for now all OLED Panels are done by LG, even Sony or other brands ones). That tells you how far MicroLED still is.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
For those that bought the OLEDs here, do you think 55" is good enough or is larger recommended? I worry about losing some benefits of 4K as I sit about 8-9 feet away and the 65" models are about an extra grand.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was going to upgrade to an OLED since my Samsung KS8000 has a line of dead pixels now. Decided not to because my buddies OLED ended up getting burn in after almost a year. That Samsung Q90R looks amazing. It's still crazy expensive though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
IIRC Samsung are going to start making their own OLEDs soon (for now all OLED Panels are done by LG, even Sony or other brands ones). That tells you how far MicroLED still is.
I remember when OLED was the holy grail, now it's MicroLED - but we have no idea what flaws and issues there will be with the tech when it finally gets in to mass market manufacture.

OLED TVs were hugely flawed until LG's 6 series launched. Prior to that you had blind-door effect on the 1080p OLEDs, green tinting off-centre, weird random yellow/green discolouration patches visible in white scenes/slides, <5% greyscale vertical banding and vignetting. I know, I was one of the people who bought one of the first OLEDs and I remember the AVForums threads well.

Luckily those issues are a thing of the past now, and it's all good - with both my previous C6 and now my current C9. But it took LG a few years to get it right. And Samsung never could get it right in the end, and gave up manufacturing OLEDs after the first generation outing.

My point is, to those clinging on to exciting future display technologies - I wouldn't. They may never make it to full production, and even if they do, they may have unforeseen issues, or never be able to get down to a sensible manufacturing price and the tech die swiftly in the process.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I love everything about my LG OLED B8. Low input lag as well on game mode.

Except for this:

gradient-color-banding.png

Some say having my TV on PC mode with HDR might be causing the problem and I should take it off on PC mode. We'll see.
What's weird is I only get this stair stepping effect on the Witcher 3 sky boxes but it's everywhere and in all directions; horizontal, vertical, and diagonal and shimmering the entire time It looks awful. I think it came with the Witcher 3 HDR update. Anyone else experience weird sky box issues with the Witcher on OLED? Ideas how to fix it? Xbox One X btw. The tv is not in PC mode.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I have a Samsung Q6DFN and i am really happy with it ! the hdr is really good, playing game at 1440p120hz is awesome ! ( too bad i have a 1080ti with no free sync, my next gpu must be an amd card to get it).
Everything going to a good qled or oled tv is going to be awesome for everyone. Better contrast on oled tv, but you will get a good contrast too on qled.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For those that bought the OLEDs here, do you think 55" is good enough or is larger recommended? I worry about losing some benefits of 4K as I sit about 8-9 feet away and the 65" models are about an extra grand.

1CSQEPEm.png

65 would be preferable but it's also something that falls down to personal preference too. it will look amazing either way

I remember when OLED was the holy grail, now it's MicroLED - but we have no idea what flaws and issues there will be with the tech when it finally gets in to mass market manufacture.

yeah this is true, all new tech is prone to have issues if you ask me... even when MicroLED launches in some years, between the price and the new issues, it would make more sense to wait even a couple or more years.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

I sit about 7 feet away from my 65" B8, and it's perfect at that distance. Wouldn't want a smaller screen.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I got an LG 55 inch E6D for three years, with no burn in at all, and I used it for gaming and PC.
Now I have an 55 inch C97 for half a year and no issues either.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
What's weird is I only get this stair stepping effect on the Witcher 3 sky boxes but it's everywhere and in all directions; horizontal, vertical, and diagonal and shimmering the entire time It looks awful. I think it came with the Witcher 3 HDR update. Anyone else experience weird sky box issues with the Witcher on OLED? Ideas how to fix it? Xbox One X btw. The tv is not in PC mode.
Most media doesn't support 10bit color, especially not games, so you get banding like that. Newer oleds can help with that, but up to a point.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I was really interested in seeing these dual-panel LCD TVs that Panasonic and, I think, Hi-Sense have been showing. Seems like an interesting solution to the local dimming issue.

I haven't heard about a Panasonic model but looked it up. Only a prototype that Panasonic will aim at professional use in coming years so that's a long ways away for us consumers.

The hi-sense had my interest although I believe its supposed to remain china only for the foreseeable future. Picture quality on some of their other tv's leave quite a bit to be desired as well which has diminished my interest.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard about a Panasonic model but looked it up. Only a prototype that Panasonic will aim at professional use in coming years so that's a long ways away for us consumers.

The hi-sense had my interest although I believe its supposed to remain china only for the foreseeable future. Picture quality on some of their other tv's leave quite a bit to be desired as well which has diminished my interest.

The Panasonic tech is already in use in a series of professional monitors, the prototype is for a larger 55-inch screen. Still a long way to go, but promising nevertheless. I've loved my Panny plasma, and would love to one day replace it with another of their TVs.

HiSense ULED XD is a similar, cheaper concept, since the monochrome layer is only 1080p, but it's likely to be a hell of a lot better than FALD anyway. I heard rumors they'll be releasing a set in the US next year. I'll be keeping my eye out for reviews.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I love everything about my LG OLED B8. Low input lag as well on game mode.

Except for this:

gradient-color-banding.png

Some say having my TV on PC mode with HDR might be causing the problem and I should take it off on PC mode. We'll see.

Why are you doing this to yourself? Select game mode (for games) or calibrate the technicolor preset (for movies, streaming). PC mode will create banding (4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 issues I believe) as seen there. Is a 10 second fix to just select another preset.