• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Qatar is now violating human rights of white people, will the west finally care or keep bowing to the oil money?

Qatar faced widespread criticism and a potential Australian inquiry on Monday after several women said they had been strip-searched at a Doha airport earlier this month, following the discovery of an abandoned newborn in a terminal bathroom.

On Sunday, Australian broadcaster 7 News reported that Qatari authorities had asked women on an Oct. 2 Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight to disembark amid preparations for departure at Qatar's main airport, Hamad International. Officials ordered searches of more than a dozen women, in one or more ambulances parked on the tarmac, according to Australian media outlets. A woman reportedly conducted the searches.
Speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Corp., two of the Australian women said the procedure was involuntary and the reasons for it were not made clear.
One of the women said a staff member told her that she "needed to examine my vagina," according to the ABC.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope we can find a suitable replacement for oil quickly so we can start pressuring these countries a lot more. If we could cut gas dependency from Russia and oil dependency from the Middle East,

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
They absolutely fucked that up, but I wonder how a more modern society would have investigated this. Still, I could barely blame the mother if they didn't want the baby and their country doesn't allow abortions or adoption.

-edit-
I should clarify that when I say "but I wonder" I'm not saying there's a chance Qatar did the right thing here. They absolutely did not.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely fucked that up, but I wonder how a more modern society would have investigated this. Still, I could barely blame the mother if they didn't want the baby and their country doesn't allow abortions or adoption.
Most of the time, they just do DNA tests. No need to strip search somebody.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This is the risk of taking cheap flights run by a dictatorship.
They'll do fucked up things.

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Trolling in a serious thread, prior infractions for similar behaviour
Borat 2 is really funny

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I'm willing to bet Qatar has DNA tests. No reason at all for the staff to do what they did.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Or you know, not even a need to DNA test everyone. Take a look at the cameras that are no doubt all over the airport and take a look at who actually went near the place...

Sure, the strip search is ridiculous. Could the police make someone do a blood test without a court order, though?
if they can commit sexual assault, I'm not sure they would ask a court order for a blood test or swabbing their mouth. That latter is a lot less invasive, and takes like two seconds to execute.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Let's hope we can find a suitable replacement for oil quickly so we can start pressuring these countries a lot more. If we could cut gas dependency from Russia and oil dependency from the Middle East,
We've had suitable replacements for decades. We just don't use them because people are making way too much money with fossil fuels still and they use this money to buy politicians so they keep it that way.

In other words, thank Exxon for the vagina searches.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I went and read the story, fucking yikes.
We don't know how many women were searched in total. The searches were done on the tarmac in ambulances, and no word on if they actually found the mother.
And apparently the birth happened in the airport...and Qatar has all sorts of goofy policies regarding premarital sex.

Like, I'm thinking back to when my kid was born and imagining my wife birthing my kid and then hopping on a plane, and I just don't see it. Wow.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Flights to Australia are anything but cheap right now, as there is a limit for international arrivals that have left people stranded overseas for months. Qatar is likely one of the only choices these women had to get home.
What? No flights are cheap right now and if your Australian depending where you're flying you almost have to pass through Qatar. Bizarre post bordering on victim blaming IMO.
Oh no. I didn't mean to come off as victim blaming.
And I haven't flown this year so no idea on costs.

But geneeally in Europe flights with a stop over in the middle East are cheaper than direct flights or alternatives.

Just saying that people travel on these routes because they're cheaper but Qatar has an absolute monarchy.

Like what happened here may very well be totally legal there.
And it's a real blindspot when making stop over flights.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Or you know, not even a need to DNA test everyone. Take a look at the cameras that are no doubt all over the airport and take a look at who actually went near the place...
Hell, you can even just have them piss on a prenency test because the hormones in a pregnant woman's body just just magically disappear post birth.

There are plenty of ways to verify this. Not a single one requires sexual assaulting women.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, then we'd just ignore the problems like we do the poverty and strife in Africa. Ain't no room for altruism when it comes to international diplomacy.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finding out who gave birth by looking at every woman's genitals is some neanderthal-level thinking