• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Sensible decision and I expect other airlines to follow suit. Anti-vaxxers can give up overseas destinations I suppose or swim.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Now how do we go about getting proof once we're vaccinated?
I know's it's from a film (Contagion), but a bracelet like this with a unique barcode could work.

Immunity-Passport-explainer.jpg

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
How would this work with international travelers? How would people from other countries prove that they have the vaccine? With documents in their own language that no one else can read?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It might be helpful if there was some sort of government issue proof of vaccination card to standardize this sort of thing. I imagine the conspiracy group would lose their minds having to carry government ID as proof of a vaccination though.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how they plan to check though. Presumably you just get a piece of paper when you are vaccinated that anyone can just copy...

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
How would this work with international travelers? How would people from other countries prove that they have the vaccine? With documents in their own language that no one else can read?
It's no different to when applying for a visa to a country you need to certify in some instances that you've had a given vaccination in your application. If you're found to have lied in that application or cannot provide evidence, you can be detained upon entry.

Australia has some of the most advanced port of entry tech in the world, it wouldn't surprise me if they implement scanning of vaccination cards.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I imagine those who can't be vaccinated will be able to provide evidence they can't do so. Also, this would likely be 1.5-2 years away, just due to the amount of time it's going to take to actually vaccinate everyone, on top of us not knowing how often vaccines will need to be taken yet

All that being said, good direction. Anti-vaccine attitude has to be absolutely crushed.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm curious how they plan to check though. Presumably you just get a piece of paper when you are vaccinated that anyone can just copy...
Most vaccination cards apply a printed label from the vial, certainly for kids vaccines (not the flu shot). It'll likely be similar, guaranteed most governments around the world will want to keep track of and have proof of vaccination.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Looks like a lot of New Age Facebook wackos won't be going to Bali to get drunk and hurl racial slurs at the locals

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Good, with the caveat that the vaccine be freely and easily accessible to anyone.

Don't make it another vector for the usual actors to discriminate against the usual groups. It should only discriminate against anti-vaxxer idiots.

Nov 7, 2017
Good. Now how do we go about getting proof once we're vaccinated?
They may initially use the international certificate of vaccination from the CDC/WHO (the yellow card) as proof that you were vaccinated. Later down the line I expect it to be like a visa process where you upload proof into their database

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get a card we can carry around in our wallets. I'd like to see most public places doing this.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Question for Med-ERA here...I'm on medical treatment that precludes me from being vaccinated with live virus vaccines. Are these corona vaccines on the horizon live (weakened?) virus vaccines?

May 21, 2018
This is a good decision and I honestly feel it should apply to all businesses.

No doubt the Trumper and anti-vax crowd will start comparisons with Jews in Nazi Germany.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good, hopefully this spreads to all forms of public transit. The bus is my only way of going downtown & obviously I can't do that with COVID being a thing.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

www.bloomberg.com

Covid Passports Seen as Key to Resuming International Travel

Global airline lobby IATA is working on a mobile app that will help travelers demonstrate their coronavirus-free status, joining a push to introduce so-called Covid passports to speed up the revival of international travel.

Global airline lobby IATA is working on a mobile app that will help travelers demonstrate their coronavirus-free status, joining a push to introduce so-called Covid passports as vaccines for the disease near approval.

The Travel Pass will display test results together with proof of inoculation, as well as listing national entry rules and details on the nearest labs, the International Air Transport Association said Monday. The app will also link to an electronic copy of the holder's passport to prove their identity.

A test program will begin with British Airways parent IAG SA this year before arriving on Apple devices in the first quarter and Android from April, IATA said. Travelers will be able to share their status with border authorities or present a QR code for scanning.

Nov 7, 2017
Question for Med-ERA here...I'm on medical treatment that precludes me from being vaccinated with live virus vaccines. Are these corona vaccines on the horizon live (weakened?) virus vaccines?
The main vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are mRNA vaccines which do not contain a weakened virus or a virus protein. It encodes the body to make the viral protein directly into the body and lets the body learn how to fight the infection

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I may as well latch on to this question since I have a similar one, some vaccines are made in eggs and I have a severe allergy to those which means I absolutely cannot have them, are any of the Covid ones a problem for me?

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope this catches on with actual countries requiring you have a vaccination jab before entering