• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Might be the first DLC I'm getting, I really like Mythra. Pyra is a bit whatever, nice color scheme but too much sexy waifu for me, although I appreciate they toned it down, however slight.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh, that embarrasing anime shit that is xenoblade's 2 story, characters and dialogue dosent do anything to improve the smash roster. Guess in the covid era they needed a shulk variant. Dissapointing. But hey, big anime titties sell.

XNC2 is only a good game mechanics wise.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
They shattered my expectations, this is quite the interesting and bizarre choice, considering "Smash is for good boys and girls of many different ages"

But hey, unorthodox picks is always fun

Didn't Sakurai once complain about CERO? I thought his comment was to mock their regulations, which if I recall correctly is the reason they originally altered Mythra's design for SSBU.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
And what of the people who genuinely enjoy the characters for who they are in the game?
Doesn't negate the concerns surrounding female representation and sexism unfortunately mate. You're welcome to enjoy what you like, but it's a bad look to think that's as much of a positive about the game as what we've mentioned is a negative.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Meh, that embarrasing anime shit that is xenoblade's 2 story, characters and dialogue dosent do anything to improve the smash roster. Guess in the covid era they needed a shulk variant. Dissapointing. But hey, big anime titties sell.

XNC2 is only a good game mechanics wise.
I'd say world design is its biggest strength, and music second. Mechanics are brought down a bit by the reliance on gacha elements.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On page 9 (50ppp) you already have a couple of women who were saying to stop it. The hint is, talk about the character design, the outfits, etc., but not the boob size lol

I feel like this should be incredibly obvious.

Sure, but the other things you mentioned are more of an issue, right? The outfits make it obvious what the aim is.

Hell, I saw a post earlier saying they would be fine if the boobs were smaller and... I feel like that wouldn't make anything better.

Exactly. Like with ZSS, that's obviously not how clothes work...
The breast size is absolutely worth commenting on. Remember these are not real women, but characters that were specifically designed this way for reasons. Those reasons are obvious, to appeal to an assumed straight male audience.

I have large breasts, something I'm uncomfortable to mention in this thread, not because people are criticising the design, but the dudes in this thread lusting after their breasts size. I've seen some posts in here talking about them as their big titty waifus. Literally.

Here's another thing, most women with breasts that large do not have a tiny waist and skinny arms and legs. Yet it's almost always that way in this kind of media. Why do you think that is? These are things that need to be critiqued. They aren't trying to represent women like me, they're trying to objectify us. And it shows in this thread. Now that's misogyny.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Yesterday watching the Direct I vomited a little bit in my mouth seeing the camera angles, boob socks and the outfits of both characters.

The breast size is absolutely worth commenting on. Remember these are not real women, but characters that were specifically designed this way for reasons. Those reasons are obvious, to appeal to an assumed straight male audience.

I have large breasts, something I'm uncomfortable to mention in this thread, not because people are criticising the design, but the dudes in this thread lusting after their breasts size. I've seen some posts in here talking about them as their big titty waifus. Literally.

Here's another thing, most women with breasts that large do not have a tiny waist and skinny arms and legs. Yet it's almost always that way in this kind of media. Why do you think that is? These are things that need to be critiqued. They aren't trying to represent women like me, they're trying to objectify us. And it shows in this thread. Now that's misogyny.

Exactly. They are not representing women with big chests. They are using women with big chests for their own gratification. Including many posters in this thread.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus Christ this game's roster is huge.

Was hoping for a reveal even a quarter as exciting as Sephiroth. Dante and Vergil (Devil May Cry 3 or 5)? Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)? Amaterasu (Okami)? Or how about some man candy like Joe Higashi?

But hey, anime waifus are marketable I guess.

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Is it a bit odd how i am glad Smash Ultimate's roster is ending on a even number (82) instead of a odd number (81)

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've clarified a little more in later posts, but fwiw I agree the design as a whole is sexual & intentionally so. If you check my post history, you can get a broader sense for what I meant.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday watching the Direct I vomited a little bit in my mouth seeing the camera angles, boob socks and the outfits of both characters.

Exactly. They are not representing women with big chests. They are using women with big chests for their own gratification. Including many posters in this thread.
Yes it's incredibly annoying seeing the Pyra fanboys try to act like people bothered with the designs are the REAL misogynists. Quit concern trolling guys.

Mar 18, 2020
About 2 years too late and just got an "eh" from me, and I enjoyed Xenoblade 2 well enough.

Also rams home how little Japanese female character design has progressed since 32 bit days and in many cases has even regressed.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
My understanding is that their BLM movement fizzled, but I may be misinformed.

But black people are still WILD rare out there, which is my whole point. They're not going to put us in a game at random because it's not their daily life. It's also not representative of the population in a way that it would be in an American-made game.

2% of the population is "non-Japanese," and black people are a small portion of that.

Twintelle was right there but she wasn't even considered for the roster.

She's freaking beautiful.

I dropped KH when I heard 3 dropped FF characters, clearly I was being a fool. Between this and I Wanna Be The Guys sharing their path through I really am getting hyped to dive back in.

Thanks for sharing the art!

Nomura stopped with the Final Fantasy cameos because after the release of Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy crossovers were no longer a novelty.

If there's any time for you back into Kingdom Hearts, it's now. The next saga of the franchise is basically Versus XIII in all but name.

I Want to share my happiness with you all.

In my room I have a little corner where I've put the drawings that my daughter has made for me because she knows I like Pyra a lot, just next to her figurine. I can see her amiibo there already!!
xjDyQw0.jpg

And I recorded my reaction because I was really feeling it! (sadly I had a job meeting call in the middle of the video, haha)

Your daughter is a talented artist, nurture her skills because she's going to do amazing art under the right guidance.

You're entitled to your valid opinion but don't try to dismiss the opinions of other women by making a generalised statement.

They're cartoon/stylized proportions. But I guess I'm just a stupid woman that can't tell the difference, huh?

Guess I'll take my tits and get the fuck out of here. I'm getting really fucking sick of all the men that keep posting this same shit over and over and over. Over and fucking over. Every same fucking thing. One of the reasons I've stopped posting on this fucking place.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
To anyone who hasn't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I recommend playing it. Pyra and Mythra are great characters.

I haven't got any bonus characters for Smash Bros so far but I will get the Fighters Pass now.

Pyra and Mythra have superhuman physiques but I legitimately like their outfits -- great color schemes and textures and overall silhouettes. They look amazing in Smash. And those who played Xenoblade 2 know they're absolutely wonderful characters. I teared up seeing them again. Xenoblade 2 was such a deeply fulfilling game.
Yes, exactly.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Great post.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, but that's still an incredibly limited pool. Even if she were considered, it would have still been Min Min that we got.

I'll also add that other fighting games have the liberty of creating new chars on the spot. Personally, I think the issue remains that Nintendo doesn't have enough black chars to pull from in their games.

I can think of... Anthony (Metroid) and maybe Marina now? Marina being INFINITELY more likely than any other char.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nomura stopped with the Final Fantasy cameos because after the release of Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy crossovers were no longer a novelty.

If there's any time for you back into Kingdom Hearts, it's now. The next saga of the franchise is basically Versus XIII in all but name.

Your daughter is a talented artist, nurture her skills because she's going to do amazing art under the right guidance.

You're entitled to your valid opinion but don't try to dismiss the opinions of other women by making a generalised statement.
What the fuck are you talking about? What generalised statement? What dismissal of women's opinions? Back that shit up right now.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If X character breast size is realistic/unrealistic etc is a discussion for the women in here. That some women find the representation right doesn't give any man a reason to gaslight other women that think is bad representation and throwing "fake woke" words around (oh, the irony).

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know, there are some of us that hate the sexualization of Pyra/Mythra and other women in gaming but actually like them as characters without it being about their boobs.

I agree. It's possible to both be critic of their design and still like the actual characters, their backstory and the increased Xenoblade representation with all that it entails (stage, music, spirits, etc.).

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some women like Pyra's and Mythra's design. Just look at the art posted on Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit by women.

And stop with the targeted profanity.
It kinda seems like the implication of this is that the poster you're replying to shouldn't say bad things about the design because other women that aren't being addressed by the post like the designs? It's kind of a leap from this to accusations of dismissing the opinions of other women and a real bad look to call what was posted that.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some women like Pyra's and Mythra's design. Just look at the art posted on Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit by women.

And stop with the targeted profanity.
What the fuck does that have to do with anything I said? How about you stop hiding behind what some women happen to like and actually address the points of criricism. I like 2B as a character but her design is still sexist objectification.

And stop tone policing, thanks.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
User Banned (3 months): concern trolling around sexism, prior ban for dismissing concerns of colorism over a series of posts
It kinda seems like the implication of this is that the poster you're replying to shouldn't say bad things about the design because other women that aren't being addressed by the post like the designs? It's kind of a leap from this to accusations of dismissing the opinions of other women and a real bad look to call what was posted that.

That's not what I said at all? I said her points were valid but that not all women share her opinion which is an objective truth as I quoted a woman who liked her design. That wasn't to invalidate her opinion but to reinforce that not everybody shares said opinion.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything I said? How about you stop hiding behind what some women happen to like and actually address the points of criricism. I like 2B as a character but her design is still sexist objectification.

And stop tone policing, thanks.

www.resetera.com

General Guide to ResetEra

General Guide to ResetEra Last updated on May 3, 2021. Mission Statement Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of the gaming industry. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where enthusiasts and industry professionals alike will want to...

The Importance of Being Respectful

"Please be respectful when posting in threads. This includes when you post about the topic at hand and especially when you address other members. Do not make unfounded and inflammatory accusations to discredit and/or antagonize your fellow members (such calling them a shill, astroturfer, etc). Do not shame users based on their post count, avatar choice, or what community they belong to. Avoid hurling insults or making disagreements personal."

So no, I am not "tone policing", I am just trying to have a civil conversation. Like I said earlier, your points are valid but they're not universally shared with every woman.

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp that likes Pyra/Mythra as characters though admittedly I haven't played their game, but recognizes that their designs are problematic. Honestly, I don't even understand how anyone can argue that their designs aren't at least questionable.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Lame, not a fan of franchises that are already in there getting more reps.
I want new never seen before series in there making it more of a dream crossover.
Doom Guy, Knight Solaire, Pheonix Wright, ect...

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I said at all? I said her points were valid but that not all women share her opinion which is an objective truth as I quoted a woman who liked her design. That wasn't to invalidate her opinion but to reinforce that not everybody shares said opinion.

www.resetera.com

General Guide to ResetEra Last updated on May 3, 2021. Mission Statement Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of the gaming industry. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where enthusiasts and industry professionals alike will want to...

"Please be respectful when posting in threads. This includes when you post about the topic at hand and especially when you address other members. Do not make unfounded and inflammatory accusations to discredit and/or antagonize your fellow members (such calling them a shill, astroturfer, etc). Do not shame users based on their post count, avatar choice, or what community they belong to. Avoid hurling insults or making disagreements personal."

So no, I am not "tone policing", I am just trying to have a civil conversation. Like I said earlier, your points are valid but they're not universally shared with every woman.
Lmfao at you quoting the ToS that I wrote at me. The mansplaining is at a peak here. Maybe you should read this part, which you are blatantly breaking with your condescending bullshit.

Dismissive and Disruptive Behavior

Low effort, inflammatory, or insensitive drive by posting is always unacceptable. However, it is especially inappropriate in serious and sensitive discussions. Threads involving race, gender identity, sexuality, sexual assault or harassment, sexualization of minors, or any marginalized minority groups should be approached with sensitivity. Dismissive or disruptive behavior in these threads will be usually be met with a ban. The following are examples of such behavior:
Dismissing the importance of issues that concern women or minorities and/or denying the experiences of users affected by these issues.
Lamenting or mocking the sensitivity or "outrage" of others in reference to legitimate concerns, or claiming that members are pretending to be offended.
Condescendingly talking down to people who are affected by sensitive issues.
Trying to derail the discussion such that it is no longer about the group of people that are affected by the issue.
Attempting to shut down the discussion altogether.
Framing support or defense of abhorrent views as questions in order to make them seem acceptable, and/or as a means of shifting the burden of proof on to others.
Please note that dismissing, downplaying, or making light of sexual assault allegations will lead to a lengthy ban.

And let's be real here you were claiming I was dismissing other women's opinions, when my post was simply my perspective as a woman who feels objectified not only by the designs but some of the posts by male members here. My post only addressed the behaviour of male members and not other women. And then you quoted me with that bullshit and dismissed me.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

What the hell was up with the bolded part of your statement then? You're not slick.
King Kingo Types like you that hide behind the smokescreen of civility while dodging questions are rather tiresome. You're just trying to shut up Aerith.
For real. Some straight up sealioning with literally posting the guidelines to try to tone police a person who wasn't even doing what they were accused of.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States

www.resetera.com

I just wanted to let you know (and others) I'm ok with you quoting me. I stand behind what I said. I'm just going to bed and will not be able to reply if I need to until tomorrow.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I find the last scene in the trailer with Shulk somewhat interesting... Is a crossover between the two worlds possible for Xenoblade Chronicles 3? Would be a pretty dope setup and finale for a Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have really strong opinions on the characters themselves but I'm glad they brought back the switching gimmick. There was a lot of room to expand there.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I find the last scene in the trailer with Shulk somewhat interesting... Is a crossover between the two worlds possible for Xenoblade Chronicles 3? Would be a pretty dope setup and finale for a Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy.
Well, if future connected is any indication.......... maybe or maybe not lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This is a screenshot of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-2-Patch-1.5_Jun162018_02.webp

Here's another!

QKpj8NqEjz-4jPKcpWb6vMyhBzgUUIYXUeQP7L90B3k.jpg

Xenoblade 2's DLC made the crossover happen already

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Shulk is a DLC blade in XC2 so the ending of the trailer is a reference to that since the characters have met each other before.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I don't have really strong opinions on the characters themselves but I'm glad they brought back the switching gimmick. There was a lot of room to expand there.
I still think it would be neat to have a charcter like Gen from SF where it's the same charcter but their idle stance changes and they have different moves