• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
At first I saw xb2 and was sad it's not elma.
Then I was terrified it was rex.
Now I'm just relieved it's not, and the character switching does look cooler than any kit I could've thought up for elma, so I'm ambivalent/mildly positive I suppose.

I finished xb2 and still have no idea what the deal with them is or why exactly they share a body 🤔
I mean it makes more sense if you play Torna but
Pyra is a Seal/shell created by Mythra to deal with her grief and lock away her emotions. Pyra is the aspects of personality personified to protect Mythra and to keep her from unleashing her full power again

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Now I'm just relieved it's not, and the character switching does look cooler than any kit I could've thought up for elma, so I'm ambivalent/mildly positive I suppose.

I finished xb2 and still have no idea what the deal with them is or why exactly they share a body 🤔
pyra is mythra's split personality, i am going to post the event when pyra is born to show why they share a body.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This fighter pass has been a complete bust for me so far, unfortunately. Not interested in this character at all.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that their BLM movement fizzled, but I may be misinformed.
It did. That doesn't change the fact that it happened and wasn't just in solidarity with the US. That it fell on def ears isn't a sign of any kibd of ignorance but the willful kind.
But black people are still WILD rare out there, which is my whole point. They're not going to put us in a game at random because it's not their daily life. It's also not representative of the population in a way that it would be in an American-made game.
Again, Japan is not ignorant of media outside of its borders. And this excuse certainly doesn't fly when you look at literally damn near every other Japanese made fighting game.

Stop making excuses for Nintendo being shit about this.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
How did Xenoblade 2 become the flash point for all tension around modern, fan service filled, shonen-ass, JRPGs?

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it makes more sense if you play Torna but
Pyra is a Seal/shell created by Mythra to deal with her grief and lock away her emotions. Pyra is the aspects of personality personified to protect Mythra and to keep her from unleashing her full power again
pyra is mythra's split personality, i am going to post the event when pyra is born to show why they share a body.

Ah ok, torna stuff. Still haven't gotten around to that. Thanks.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How did Xenoblade 2 become the flash point for all tension around modern, fan service filled, shonen-ass, JRPGs?

Because it's extremely popular, a first party published title for Nintendo which generally doesn't often traffic in this kind of content and people are SUPER defensive about it as though being critical about it's insane levels of fanservice somehow destroys all of everything its ardent defenders love dear.

I mean, i played it, it's a good game, but you can't say anything bad about it without the pitchforks and torches coming out.

It's particularly upsetting for me because i met my husband due to our shared love of xenogears, I have a very personal relationship to the games made by Monolith, and i feel like they're constantly just cheapening themselves more and more as time goes on.

But more to the point, most cheap "shounen-ass" JRPG's filling with fan service aren't multi-million selling successes coming from developers of one of gamings most well known classics

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Pyra/Mythra is pretty much explained right when she comes into the story.

Pyra is an alternate self Mythra created to weaken herself to prevent her power from endangering the world.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the most iconic new Nintendo characters missing now are Pearl and Marina. With Pyra and Mythra being a new take on the Zelda/Sheik stance change, Pearl and Marina could be a new take on the Ice Climbers duo concept, perhaps with the twist of changing which character is at the front, which would alter how their teamup tactics play out.
I was thinking the same. Off the Hook as an Ice Climbers-esque character would be the best way to represent them. It also means we get Marina!

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the fake out got me bad. I saw the opening and thought: is this really late DLC? A sequel? A musou style spin-off? Then Pyra showed her letter and I was like oh, duh! Well done Sakurai and company.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Big Xenoblade spoilers for those who aren't going to play it (like me). I think people here may have been happier with the designs if they used

The combined/true form of Pyra and Mythra. But I guess they wouldn't wanna spoil that.
ih0z7o3rfit41.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Big Xenoblade spoilers for those who aren't going to play it (like me). I think people here may have been happier with the designs if they used

The combined/true form of Pyra and Mythra. But I guess they wouldn't wanna spoil that.
ih0z7o3rfit41.png
The fact that you can't select alternate colors on the Smash website is very suspicious.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
What we really need is some women in lead design roles on JRPGs again - then we'd at least have less of the pervasive male gaze shenanigans that turn a lot of people off of the genre.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Man, the fake out got me bad. I saw the opening and thought: is this really late DLC? A sequel? A musou style spin-off? Then Pyra showed her letter and I was like oh, duh! Well done Sakurai and company.

I was watching it an hour after live and started skipping ahead in increments because I'm not really interested in the game. Sure showed me too, lol.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you can't select alternate colors on the Smash website is very suspicious.
The funny thing is in one of the artbooks for Xenoblade 2, they have smash style recolors for basically every character, some of which are in the game as DLC. I imagine a lot of them will be used as alternate colors.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
My very low investment top pick for smash DLC was Rex/Homura entirely because I thought that the driver/blade duo system would be a really interesting mechanical feat to translate into Smash Bros. I feel like a monkey's paw finger curled up somewhere for me. I'm not upset, and for all I know they tried the duo character thing and it wasn't technically feasible or it was too confusing for players to follow or ten other problems, but what it could have been vs what was shown feels like a bit of a bummer for me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What we really need is some women in lead design roles on JRPGs again - then we'd at least lose the pervasive male gaze shenanigans that turn a lot of people off of the genre.
They had a wide variety of popular artists contribute to XB2's designs, and the thing that's crazy is that XB2 actually has some PHEMONENAL female designs for many of the cast.
latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

Pyra and Mythra are just front and center. I was very happy they patched in Mythra's more sensible outfit later; wore that exclusively.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, they actually put tits & ass in? And here I thought Smash was only for good boys and girls. Never thought I'd see the day with Sakurai at the helm.

In all seriousness though, just a bit sad we got this over Elma + a XCX port, but this at least is still a lot more interesting than Rex so I'm good with this pick. Not particularly excited about another swordfighter with a counter, but at least it's a switch character so there's at least two chances I'll like the moveset. Hopefully there's no mechanic that makes you want to switch on the regular cause that used to be awful on old Pkmn Trainer.

Hopefully that's it for the Nintendo characters though, even though they can be great additions to the roster, I'm more about the hype around a new smash character than the week I actually play a new character these days and a non third party is quite the hype killer.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are you kidding me? theyre fucking massive. its embarrassing.

Some women have already commented on it, but please don't criticize the body type when you mean to comment on the design. Because not only is it not uncommon in the real world, but you end up treating women who would come here as if their bodies only exist in sex work or only should exist in sex work. Which is beyond fucked.

Feel free to criticize whatever happened with her outfit, but the "they're fucking massive. It's embarrassing" is both sheltered AND offensive.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Once again I legitimately like the censored version of Mythra's outfit better just aesthetically and the T&A factor aside. The black leggings look good.

They had a wide variety of popular artists contribute to XB2's designs, and the thing that's crazy is that XB2 actually has some PHEMONENAL female designs for many of the cast.
latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

Pyra and Mythra are just front and center. I was very happy they patched in Mythra's more sensible outfit later; wore that exclusively.
And then Nia gets this true form thing later apparently. Spoilers probably?

2017122806220401-659bo2sss.jpg

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's like they set out to make some of the worst character designs in Xenoblade 2, I can't take it seriously.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Nintendo game, was very well reviewed, and sold millions of copies.
All of the designs you posted except the first one were also done by the main character designer too.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pyra's outfit has been edited just like Mythra's, just more subtle. Really hope Monolith patch that option into XB2 like they did before.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Now that I actually watched the video, that's a nicely produced introduction of the new character(s).
Funny, sounds like Rex japanese is voiced by the same guy that also voices 13 Sentinels' main character. Didn't know.
Expected someone newer in the VA scene.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
her boobs arent that big lmao

This is so strange to me. If you're okay with her design, that's totally cool. I'm really excited that they're the new Smash character.

But these weird defenses against any criticism that aren't even based in truth is just so weird. Saying her breasts "aren't that big" is straight up wrong.

To properly discuss this stuff, you should at least recognize basic facts and then base your argument around that.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

It was the most popular entry of the series and it was the first Xeno anything many people played.

it's not Malos, G A R B A G E

They would've made him just a Shulk echo and call it a day.

What about a KOS-MOS Re: spirit?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
That trailer really threw me for a loop. Got excited for a direct sequel, and then the curveball, which is also pretty exciting. Honestly pretty happy about this though, far more interesting than Rex. I'm just sad Pneuma isn't the final smash. I think if they got in, this also means there's close to no limit on lewd characters, except for Mai lol.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to give a shoutout to Etika.

Min Min, Minecraft, and now Pyra and Mythra are in Smash. His reactions would have been legendary. Rest in peace.

His reaction for Min Min would've been Mewtwo level times a million. "MY D....!

Pyra and Mythra: "YOOOOOOOOOOOO, They're BAAAAADDDDDDDD!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

As an admitted hater of XB2 art...I must admit I have to eat crow over the top design.

Art reminds me a lot of Nomura, though I think I'm just use to that due to seeing his characters in Blade 2.

Who ever did her work did a fantastic job.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Read the previous posts.. this forum won't ever change
Nope. Body shaming and Era is just way things are. It's really sad that a community that wants to be inclusive and progressive is so unbelievably awful when it comes to people's bodies. As an overweight person seeing how Era treats people like me has been really eye opening to the kind of behavior that goes on here. I can only imagine what others go through having to read this site sometimes.

Nov 17, 2017

Now seeing Pyra/Myrthra, it makes me think of how Elma could've worked with "character" switching since in X you have the melee and range switching mechanic that use different moves.