• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetris or Puyo Puyo?

• Tetris

Votes: 277 82.4%
  • Puyo Puyo

Votes: 59 17.6%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Both Puyo Puyo and Tetris are amongst the most known games in the piece-falling puzzle genre (I suggest calling it Piezzles or Pazzling). While Tetris is obviously the most popular one, which one is better? I don't think there's a need to explain either, but just in case, you can see the objective in both games here:

PessimisticPotableEgret-small.gif

They both get stupidly intense at high level play, so it's pretty much all up to taste :

All things considered, I'm siding with Puyo Puyo on this one. My skill is far from decent, but there's just something so satisfying about carefully placing each piece only to fuck it up and lose the round to make a huge combo that'll definitely give you an advantage. Also, Tetris doesn't have anything like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, building combos is infinitely more satisfying than setting up T spins for me. PUYO BABY

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris is better. It's got such an incredible intuitive and easy logic, but at the same time the skill ceiling is insane. GOAT.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
In Puyo Puyo Tetris, I find the Tetris far more satifying. That said, I like the mix of the two as it keeps things fresher than just your bog standard Tetris game.

But the Tetris in Puyo Puyo Tetris is damn good (on Switch). I prefer how it feels to Tetris Effect, which feels a little laggy in comparison.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I have way more experience with Tetris, but I *adore* Puyo Puyo. They're on the same level to me. Tetris is a bit more intuitive though, Puyo Puyo definitely requires people to study patterns a bit if they want to be close to competent.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris is the stone tablet we all praise to, puyo puyo is the heretic figure that leads us astray

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Tetris because I completely suck at any ahead planning and setting things up for that puyo chain.

Oct 29, 2017
I find Tetris the "easier" of the two to get into. I don't know what it is about Puyo; even with the tuttorials that the game gives you on how to set up combos, my brain just has significant difficulty building up and is less capable of moving things around when pieces aren't the ones I want.

I find that with Tetris, I'm better able to deal with a bad "hand" or upcoming piece list and still survive.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
building combos and adapt on the fly your strat to whatever the opponent is doing or the random garbage block is so much more fun in puyo.
Tetris requires high skill but is much more stereotypical and about redoing the same things over and over.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm far from competent on both, but I prefer the satisfaction of a good 4 chain combo in Puyo Puyo than a Tetris in Tetris. I love both though and Puyo Puyo Tetris is the game I played on the Switch the most. My friends love the game as well.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda run into an issue with a Western audience that only knows Tetris for the most part, people gravitate towards it/argue it's easier when very few people I know who grew up with both find either to be particularly unintuitive?

Not an issue for the games, but definitely an issue when discussing which is better lol

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I love Tetris and all of its variants. I own at least a dozen different Tetris games. I've played countless freeware implementations. The first game I ever played was Tetris. The last game I've played was Tetris.
Puyo is the better puzzle game.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A poll for a series that is far larger than a niche puzzle game like Puyo. Gosh I wonder who's gonna win the poll!? It's probably a huge mystery!

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Tetris because it has that easy-to-learn hard-to-master gameplay everyone can easily get into. Puyo Puyo is a great puzzle game, but more difficult to get the mechanics off. You need a bigger learning curve to really enjoy puyo puyo.