• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
92544701-medium.jpg

Can you really fault me for thinking that way? It looks like a smartphone game. I am not trolling.
But it's Tetris though.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My main question is if it'd indeed almost one million on Switch alone or by including all the other versions of the game. I mean, is it Puyo Puyo Tetris as a whole (PS3/Vita/3DS/Wii U/PS4/Xbox One/Switch) or is it Puyo Puyo Tetris S alone (it's the Japanese name of the Switch version)? I need a time stamp of when they talked about WW sales.

Puyo Puyo Tetris S is the Switch SKU, so if the video mentions the S it's Switch only.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
92544701-medium.jpg

Can you really fault me for thinking that way? It looks like a smartphone game. I am not trolling.

How? It is a Tetris / Puyo Puyo game, not sure what you were expecting.

The art style / presentation is great, they did a good job at not just making a good game but also making these characters charming, and the music are also great: it has the best version of Korobeniki

My only complain here is that fact that SEGA didn't add the option for japanese voices (which are so much better) in the western version.

Jan 11, 2018
I wanted to support this game. Was going to buy it on PS4. But the lack of an option to mute those nasty voice overs is such a major turn-off.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how "close" it is. Either way it seems like an amazing result, especially considering the install base.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe unless the game consistently charts on the eshop top 10. Well deserved anyway.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Never expected these numbers from this game.

I got it at launch and it's super fun to play with friends. Well deserved.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's still kinda weird how these games are made by the same people behind the countless Sonic related blunders of the past few decades.

Ideally, Sonic Team would become the "Puyo Puyo Team" while the devs behind Sonic Mania became the new Sonic Team. But alas...

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is a software beast. I like how the Switch audience is receptive to mid tier games and pretty much every publisher has found some sort of succes on the platform.

Wonder if the success of this title (and presumably the Sonic titles) prompted them to quickly create a Switch version for Valkyria Chronicles 4, which sees a late release in Japan but simultaneous release worldwide iirc.

Yeah, I think third party support will significantly increase from this year onward and it will only grow further going into 2019. Its all about sales and the Switch has proven itself as a software selling platform.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I've played it more than 60 hours; it's one of the best Tetris editions along with Tetris DS! So yeah, from my perspective, it deserves sales.

You mean a Tetris game right?

(Because Tetris is OP compared to Puyo lol)

Really? I feel like I have a chance even against very highly rated tetris players online, while puyo players with average ratings kick my butt hard! And the few times I've accidentally chosen to play puyo (I suck at it), I still beat good tetris players.

If you meant that Tetris is the better game, I definitely agree! But Puyo feels very unfairly overpowered. :(
(I get that if elite players battle, they're probably evenly matched, but it's certainly not the case for mid-tier players.)

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris S is the Switch SKU, so if the video mentions the S it's Switch only.

Yes: as I said that's the name of the Switch version, and if it's the only one getting referenced, I assume that just the Switch version sold almost 1 million WW (gulp), but I'd like to see with my own eyes the exact moment in the video where it was revealed. Again: does anyone have the timestamp for when it happened?

Oct 30, 2017
I hate the presentation and characters but I like the gameplay. Could have been a lot better if they made it like lumines with better presentation and music

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Hell yeah. Nearly one million Switch owners have played the best puzzle game in decades!

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I've played it more than 60 hours; it's one of the best Tetris editions along with Tetris DS! So yeah, from my perspective, it deserves sales.

Really? I feel like I have a chance even against very highly rated tetris players online, while puyo players with average ratings kick my butt hard! And the few times I've accidentally chosen to play puyo (I suck at it), I still beat good tetris players.

If you meant that Tetris is the better game, I definitely agree! But Puyo feels very unfairly overpowered. :(
(I get that if elite players battle, they're probably evenly matched, but it's certainly not the case for mid-tier players.)
No, Tetris is definitely much easier to learn to get good at and it's much more powerful.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Let's not be ignorant by comparing this to a mobile game. Puyo Puyo Tetris is rightfully a premium product. Not only is it packed with modes but they went above and beyond with the presentation. There are so many different styles to choose from and the soundtrack is incredibly vast. Then it's all topped with a lengthy fully voiced story and great online structure.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
92544701-medium.jpg

You're right. That Puyo Puyo and Tetris really look like ripoffs of a 1000+ mobile games I've seen. These games are clearly unoriginal trash cashing in on mobile mechanics and aesthetics.

/s ...wish I didn't need to sarcasm that sentence as it should be obvious, but I once got flagged for claiming I was being inflammatory when I called console players babies for thinking Switch was any more original than an atari Lynx.

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games for the console. Played over 40 hours on Switch and may play more in the future.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
No, Tetris is definitely much easier to learn to get good at and it's much more powerful.
Easier to learn for sure (though T-spins are probably still tricky for most, and it's necessary to be competitive), but "getting good" depends, because you have to be insanely fast and perfect playing to have a chance against good opponents, especially Puyo players.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Has anyone been able to confirm if this is for the Switch ver. or for all versions?

Thanks.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Easier to learn for sure (though T-spins are probably still tricky for most, and it's necessary to be competitive), but "getting good" depends, because you have to be insanely fast and perfect playing to have a chance against good opponents, especially Puyo players.
Nah all you really need to do is learn some all clear setups.

T-Spins also do a great amount of garbage that you don't even need to be extremely quick.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The game is below 100k in Japan (retail) so that means it did some great numbers overseas.
It did 70k retail in the us according to a poster before you with the same Japanese numbers.

Puyo sold will digitally and it makes sense. It's not the type of game most would trade in the satisfaction of owning a physical copy for the efficiency of retaining it digitally.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Absolutely deserved! The Japanese demo was my most played Switch game in March after Zelda, then when the final game released I ended up putting 70+ hours in.

Though drop the price on the UK eshop please Sega, $30 should not equal ÂŁ35 here D:

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol Puyo Puyo of all things is a million seller. What reality is this?

Excellent news.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I did not expect this, but it's very much deserved! I bought it at a discount on the eShop, it's my go to quick session multiplayer game. I love it!

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sad we didn't get a 25th Anniversary Puyo game. 2021 is way to far off for me to wait for the next anniversary.
Hopefully they will do a 22th Anniversary game instead. :P