• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MOD EDIT:

Upon further review, based on conversations with a few Japanese speakers + looking at the sales numbers, it does seem that the number in the OP is the combined amount of all console versions and not just the sales for the Switch version. But it seems the Switch version has indeed sold the best and they're extremely impressed with that.

Japanese Nintendo said:
Mizuki Hosoyamada of Sega Games today revealed at the Puyo Puyo Anniversary TV Show 2018 that Puyo Puyo Tetris S will soon surpass one million units sold worldwide on Nintendo Switch. Video added below…

Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/170494745694

I can't verify their report as I can't speak Japanese, but maybe someone who can might be able to verify?

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. It must have insane digital numbers given the retail figures we know (~100k US, ~70k Japan).

PS4 version by comparison might not even be over 100k global given what we know (under 50k US, never charted in Japan, outsold 8:1 UK retail by Switch, no digital release due to Tetris licensing).

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best release of puyo puyo and tetris imo so, well deserved.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
That sounds way too high. Not that I doubt the site that reported it, but I'd be appreciative of more verification.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User has been warned: thread derail. This thread is not about discussing the visuals of a Puyo Puyo game.
Wow, that game looks awful. Seems like everything can sell well on Switch in Japan

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that game looks awful. Seems like everything can sell well on Switch in Japan
giphy.gif

I still need to buy this game ... I already have such a huge backlog

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's one of the best iterations of Puyo Puyo and of Tetris. Plus, it also combines the two games in some really fun modes. It's also played a lot in tournaments. Basically, it is very much not an awful game, though I am surprised it sold so well on Switch considering it was released on many other platforms, including 3DS.

Edit: I became confused and forgot the 1 million figure was worldwide.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? The game is fantastic lol. Especially in co-op mode with friends or in multiplayer against others.
I see its quite beloved here. For me it just looks like those Wii era shovelware games for kids.

It's one of the best iterations of Puyo Puyo and of Tetris. Plus, it also combines the two games in some really fun modes. It's also played a lot in tournaments. Basically, it is very much not an awful game, though I am surprised it sold so well on Switch considering it was released on many other platforms, including 3DS.

Okay then. Seems like the game is better than it looks

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

My main question is if it'd indeed almost one million on Switch alone or by including all the other versions of the game. I mean, is it Puyo Puyo Tetris as a whole (PS3/Vita/3DS/Wii U/PS4/Xbox One/Switch) or is it Puyo Puyo Tetris S alone (it's the Japanese name of the Switch version)? I need a time stamp of when they talked about WW sales.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Recent price drop must have gotten a good sales boost for them

I was in at launch and no regrets!

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
One of my favourite game of 2017, i absolutely adore it (except when it exposed the faulty d-pad of my pro-controller).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am speechless. It is amazing, SEGA has been very supportive with the Switch (Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Valkyria Chronicles 4...) and is rewarded for its support.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
My main question is if it'd indeed almost one million on Switch alone or by including all the other versions of the game. I mean, is it Puyo Puyo Tetris as a whole (PS3/Vita/3DS/Wii U/PS4/Xbox One/Switch) or is it Puyo Puyo Tetris S alone (it's the Japanese name of the Switch version)? I need a time stamp of when they talked about WW sales.

I feel like its much more likely to be all versions of the game.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
You mean a Tetris game right?

(Because Tetris is OP compared to Puyo lol)

Well deserved, I hope we get a sequel, since the crossover is great and I'd love to see it more finely tuned for balance.

92544701-medium.jpg

Can you really fault me for thinking that way? It looks like a smartphone game. I am not trolling.

It looks better in most cases than that screenshot. That has one of the worst backgrounds in the game imo.

The game has a very clean artstyle, yes, but unlike a lot of mobile games, the character designs aren't shit.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I see its quite beloved here. For me it just looks like those Wii era shovelware games for kids.

Okay then. Seems like the game is better than it looks
Never Though there will be a day where Puyo Puyo will be compared to shovelware.

Tetris brand must be really bad these days to pull it down (thanks to those shiity mobile games).

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wonder if the success of this title (and presumably the Sonic titles) prompted them to quickly create a Switch version for Valkyria Chronicles 4, which sees a late release in Japan but simultaneous release worldwide iirc.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's fantastic.
Hopefully that doesn't lead the next publisher to get the Tetris licence to think that any lazy Tetris game is enough for that. Sounds promising for the future of Puyo Puyo though!
Puyo Puyo Tetris was fantastic on every level, a real effort done on this game.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's insane :o

I'm still searching for a cheap physical copy before I jump in. I already have an old PS4 physical copy, but I'd play this forever if I had it on the go.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Some corporate big wig will misread the sales, push out another Puyo game that sucks hastily, game will tank and series will go dormant again for another decade.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
OK, that is seriously a "wth" scenario. But I'm glad the game is such a huge success story on Switch. Such a good fit and a quality game.