• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The previous game was actually a much older game than most realize (came to Japan in 2014), so this is sure to have some pretty notable updates that just make the game feel a lot better across the board.

Very interested to hear more about those item. That sounds like it could either be a great addition or an especially terrible Street Fighter X Tekken gem style system.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unreasonably hyped for this. Can't wait and the new skill battle mode looks interesting!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris Attack when?
latest

S2PID

Oct 31, 2017
The Skill Battle mode is from Puyo Puyo Chronicle. In that game, you grinded story mode for items to boost your ATK/HP/Recovery stats, and you collected characters with different field skills a.l.a. Tetris Battle Gaiden. I imagine this is meant to increase the replayability a lot for casual players

I assume Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 will also bring back Puyo Puyo Chronicle's raid battles... basically, you then took those items and your favorite character and teamed up with a friend to fight bosses with lots of HP, and you got rarer items.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hm, I love Puyo Puyo Tetris, but this doesn't seem like it adds that much?

It has a new story mode, all I really needed to know

Oh, hmm. And here I was all ready to pick up the first!

Are there any significant differences thus far between the two?

The original had a fairly entertaining story mode that was fully dubbed that was like 15ish hours long. I assume this games story will continue from where the first one ended.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I just bought the first one today on PSN. Looking forward to Part 2, will probably be my first game on PS5 then.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A brand new Puyo Puyo game getting announced at the same time and getting released worldwide. When the first Puyo Puyo Tetris came out the series was practically unknown aside from a small community and now look at it.

Goddamn this rules.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The Skill Battle mode is from Puyo Puyo Chronicle. In that game, you grinded story mode for items to boost your ATK/HP/Recovery stats, and you collected characters with different field skills a.l.a. Tetris Battle Gaiden. I imagine this is meant to increase the replayability a lot for casual players

I assume Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 will also bring back Puyo Puyo Chronicle's raid battles... basically, you then took those items and your favorite character and teamed up with a friend to fight bosses with lots of HP, and you got rarer items.
Thanks for the info! This does seem like something they will do. I really loved the look of Chronicle. Super bummed it never got localized.`

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
After playing *checks Switch* over 830 hours of Puyo Tetris, I'm still down for more.

OP should add this for all the people asking what's new

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. OH MY GOD the Tetris property has been un-fucked! We've got this and Tetris Effect coming out at the same time!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I am hyped for this simply because of the prospect of another story mode.

I hope this time, they give the Puyo cast - who have about 30 years of "canon" - a proper re-introduction. Before I got into Puyo Puyo, I felt like I was playing a sequel to an ongoing series that assumed I played the originals. I watched them all on YouTube and so should you.

Are they bringing back Puyo Puyo~n mechanics? I doubt they'll break it harder like Arle Shield.

At first I was hyped by the animated characters but then the cutscenes look like the cheapass VN shlock. I want them to return to Puyo Puyo SUN's sketch style.

Since the trailer didn't really show much new, I hope that they manage to deliver in terms of number of characters and story. I wouldn't want them to keep the Puyo Puyo roster small again just for the sake of keeping it consistent with the Tetris characters :T

I never got far into the adventure mode for PPT, but the start was a bit slow.

I'd love if they brought some mechanics from older titles like Puyo Puyo 7's aging system or that mode in Puyo Puyo Box where you had to face the entire cast from the first 3 games in order:
hqdefault.jpg
qGGDMIPxDTzOd4EnqQTgDJwUuSRvWy7fyDK1Q_H5SpqMKUDHEp4Shf-zv2art5ytsiuHIzmgfK1FFrHeTCYW_JM-JFa4pa3GImR51UjP0Ws

I bet they could do a lot more with Tetris, too, considering there have been a lot of experiments with it over the years...
tetrisds_35132t.jpg

If it ends up as the same game with a new special move for each character but no one new in the lineup it could be a little disappointing, so I cross my fingers...

Last edited:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
So stoked for this. Extra awesome that they're not being weird with the Xbox version this time.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since the trailer didn't really show much new, I hope that they manage to deliver in terms of number of characters and story. I wouldn't want them to keep the Puyo Puyo roster small again just for the sake of keeping it consistent with the Tetris characters :T

I never got far into the adventure mode for PPT, but the start was a bit slow.

I'd love if they brought some mechanics from older titles like Puyo Puyo 7's aging system or that mode in Puyo Puyo Box where you had to face the entire cast from the first 3 games in order:
hqdefault.jpg
qGGDMIPxDTzOd4EnqQTgDJwUuSRvWy7fyDK1Q_H5SpqMKUDHEp4Shf-zv2art5ytsiuHIzmgfK1FFrHeTCYW_JM-JFa4pa3GImR51UjP0Ws

I bet they could do a lot more with Tetris, too, considering there have been a lot of experiments with it over the years...
tetrisds_35132t.jpg

If it ends up as the same game with a new special move for each character but no one new in the lineup it could be a little disappointing, so I cross my fingers...

Looking at the roster of Puyo Champions gives me hope that there are a ton of characters in there (even if they all aren't in the story)

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Makes sense to prepare something like this for the next-gen launch window. Puyo Puyo Tetris did really well around or at Switch launch (idr). Why are Sega's cross-gen games releasing later on PS5?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to prepare something like this for the next-gen launch window. Puyo Puyo Tetris did really well around or at Switch launch (idr). Why are Sega's cross-gen games releasing later on PS5?
They're not, Sony just forbids people from giving a hard date if they have a ps5 game

Not sure if there's enough here to justify a sequel

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Why they don't release this kind of games on Pc :(

I enjoyed the first one so much on my Vita... i might get back to it again, lol.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Why they don't release this kind of games on Pc :(

I enjoyed the first one so much on my Vita... i might get back to it again, lol.
store.steampowered.com

Puyo Puyo™Tetris® on Steam

Two puzzle game juggernauts collide as global phenomenon Tetris® and SEGA’s famous Puyo Puyo™ combine in a super mash-up of ferocious competition, adorable looks, and addictive puzzle fun!

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
God I hope the same localization team will be behind this one. The story mode was surprisingly hilarious in the first game.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Only reason I bought the first was to have Tetris on Switch. Tried to enjoy Puyo Puyo, but just couldnt. Tetris 99 made it so I could delete PPT from my mem card.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see we already have GOTY announced. This is gonna be great. i hope they cram it full with content and fanservice, as while the first had tons it feels like there's so much more that can be done with the concept. Just adding a puzzle mode would be awesome, or more whacky unlocks in the shop (with more reasonable prices).

Edit.
They said an all new story but the cutscene they show still has ringo not knowing who he is.
Along with Tee saying "It's almost as if this isn't the first time we've met" (assuming it's not tongue-in-cheek), I assume there might be some mindwipe thing going on.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
It's weird Tetris company is allowing more than 1 tetris per console. As a tetris fan, I'm buying all of them.

Switch has tetris 99 already and not going away.
Xbox will have Tetris Effect Connected coming around the same time as Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also glad the Tetris characters are having another go-around. I was afraid they were one-and-done.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe that there are people that enjoy the story in these games.

I played through the singleplayer of the first one and it was mind-numbing. It's a bunch of character portraits trading inane dialogue. I cannot think of a less interesting way to tell a story.

Regardless, the first game was amazing for the multiplayer alone. I don't see anything that would make me want to buy the sequel though, it's not like the original was lacking in features or content.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still have not picked up the first one, yet I am so excited that there is a sequel!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Sign me up to buy this for the new story mode alone! Wonder what we're looking at in terms of pricing since the first one was $30 here with the note that it was a reeeeeeeeeally late port.