• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
fZnYpAG.jpg

Two Puzzle Legends Reunite for the Ultimate Crossover

Japan's beloved puzzle game series Puyo Puyo and the world-renowned Tetris® game franchise have teamed up again to deliver even more Puyo-popping and Tetrimino-clearing fun in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. Playing is easy: match 4 or more same-colored Puyos or complete a line of blocks to clear them from your board and dump Garbage into your opponent's game. But keep an eye on what's coming your way too.

Play traditional Puyo Puyo and Tetris…or mix them together to level up your game. Offline or online, you'll have loads of modes that let you play the way you want from single-player Adventure to couch-competition Versus to ranked Online matches, and more.

• Brand-new Skill Battle introduces character-based skills that can quickly turn the tables on a match, plus item cards to power up your team
• Vibrant characters and an all-new story adventure add dimension to addictive arcade puzzle play
• Improved Online mode offers competition in game-specific leagues and Free Play for up to 4
• Challenge modes including endless Tetris and Puyo Puyo add still more variety to solo and online play

(Description from Nintendo.com)

Information

Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega
Price: $39.99 / 39.99 € / 5,489円
Release Date: December 8, 2020 (America/Europe); December 10, 2020 (Japan)
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, XBox One, XBox Series X
(Note: A PC version will be released through Steam at a later date, but so far it's only dated 2021)
Language:
Text will be available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Audio will be available in English and Japanese.

Modes

Adventure: A brand-new story mode featuring a cute cast of characters with funny dialogue and interactions. It follows after the events of Puyo Puyo Tetris 1, but it's designed to be enjoyable on its own. You play as multiple characters depending on what stage you're playing, but there are also branching paths depending on your choices.

Solo/Multiplayer: Various modes with varying rules that make use of both Puyo Puyo and Tetris. All modes are playable either as 1P Vs. CPU or 1P Vs. 2P (Up to 4P)
  • Versus: Traditional Puyo Puyo or Tetris against one, two or three opponents.
  • Skill Battle: A mode new to PPT2, Create a team of three characters and use various skills to deplete the opponent's HP.
  • Swap: Play both Puyo Puyo and Tetris in two separate boards, while switching at set intervals.
  • Party: Items appear, so by clearing them along Puyo chains or Tetris lines you send various attacks to your opponent.
  • Fusion: Both Puyos and Tetriminos appear simultaneously in a single board.
  • Big Bang: Clear set patterns of Puyos and Tetriminos as fast as possible.
  • Challenge: Beat various challenges using specific sets of rules.
Online: Play against Friends or others in both casual (Free Play) and competitive (Puzzle League) modes.

F.A.Q.

- I didn't play the first Puyo Puyo Tetris. Can I still play this game?

Sure! Puyo Puyo games are designed so you can jump in at any of them if you want to try out the series, so if you want to join the series, feel free to start with PPT2. The story may contain references to previous games, but it's still a standalone experience.

- I'm good at Tetris/Puyo Puyo, but I kinda suck at Puyo Puyo/Tetris. Help?
The game has plenty of tutorials so you can learn the basics for both games. After that, you can try out more intermediate and advanced techniques. Also, Adventure Mode is a good way to get into both games and its various modes, as they start off easy and gradually progress in difficulty. There's also a demo available in the Japanese Nintendo eShop in English (Can someone confirm if it's the Japanese PS Store as well?)

- Is (Insert Favorite Character Here) playable in this game?
Spoiler tagging this for those who want to go fresh, but all of this has been officially revealed by Sega:
All 24 characters from Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 return as a playable character, however this expands the roster to 25 since Arle & Carbuncle, who were one character in PPT1, are now two separate characters. We also have Marle (an entirely new character) and Ally (co-protagonist of the Japan-only Puyo Puyo Chronicles) that expand the roster to 27, and finally a 28th character that has not been officially revealed yet, which make up the full roster. Note that you need to progress through the story to unlock some of the characters.

- Arle? Is this the same Arle that some people keep asking to add to Smash Bros.?
Yes, but that's another discussion for another thread.

- Will there be DLC?
Yes, and best of all, it's free! It's been confirmed by the official Puyo Puyo Twitter account that there will be various batches of free DLC available post launch, including more characters and features.

Resources

- Official Site
-
Official Twitter Account

(OP to be updated with new info as it releases.)

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
God damnit why are they delaying the PC release and what's with the options here:

Language: Text will be available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Audio will be available in English and Japanese.

Why can't I get Japanese language text on PC (although maybe this is just the console versions I guess). I guess I'll either buy it on switch again from the JP eShop or wait for the PC version.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Hopefully you'll get information about the next-gen enhancements soon with the release just around the corner. Excited to see this series continuing on.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will get this early if my friends do, if not I may wait for the PC release. Skill battle looks really fun.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a hard time seeing how much different this can be so I've decided to hold off on a purchase. I'll wait and see how people like it before jumping back in, but I'll get it at some point.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Excited to have more of this game series even if just for the story alone. I wonder what platform everyone will play on.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Keep forgetting this is out soon, probably because I was hoping to play this on PS5 but couldn't afford the system so PS4 it is. Hope the story mode is as fun as the original....and seeing as it's E10+ for mild suggestive themes again, I bet it will be.

Also it just hit me the trophy set is literally the same as the original game.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I loved PPT1 but I'm curious to see if the new content here justifies a full sequel. I'm definitely interested in a new campaign, since I loved the one in the original, but I dunno if I should get this at launch or wait for a sale.

OP
OP
Jave

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Keep forgetting this is out soon, probably because I was hoping to play this on PS5 but couldn't afford the system so PS4 it is. Hope the story mode is as fun as the original....and seeing as it's E10+ for mild suggestive themes again, I bet it will be.
Schezo's back, so that alone should make the dialogue memorable (and like in the first game, completely justify the rating).

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I am not ready for the absolute destruction online Japanese Puyo players are about to unleash on me.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game use the Dualsense features on PS5?

I've heard it does not. Switch version does take advantage of HD rumble though.

Kind of a shame they didn't nerf 4-wide like they did with Tetris Effect.
Hopefully they nerf that and this OHKO Skill Battle set-up:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Schezo's back, so that alone should make the dialogue memorable (and like in the first game, completely justify the rating).
*looks at ESRB site description*

"The game includes some suggestive material and innuendo in the dialogue (e.g., "I'll be on top of this soon enough! I'll even be on top of you, too"; "You and I are bound and gagged together!...Of course I meant, 'You and I are bound by rivalry and gagged by strife'"; "Do you appear out of thin air when people say the word 'creeper?'")."

Yup, it's all because of him again.

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
Our review just went live over at Hey Poor Player.

Our reviewer, Anthony, scored the game a 4/5. He summed up his experience saying:

"Is Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 more of the same? Yes, and no matter how much I sing its praises, there'll be those grumbling away at what's admittedly little more than a reskin. Yet while points might be docked off for a lack of originality, I'm compelled to ask: why fix what ain't broke? Timeless and engaging in its approachable genius, the puzzle game of the generation remains unmatched in its pliable depth."

Here's the full review: https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2020/12/07/puyo-puyo-tetris-2-review-switch/

LouieGeetoo

Oct 27, 2017
I want to know about the online options. In particular, can you have two players on one system playing against one or two friends online? If so, it's a definite buy for us and our friends. (The first game only had 1v1 online, I believe.)

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I liked the first one, but only for the Tetris aspects. I found Puyo Puyo gameplay mechanics to be lackluster at best. Tetris 99 and Tetris Effect do Tetris so much better, so if this turned out to be just a reskin of the first game, that's going to be an easy pass.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I will buy (almost) any version of Tetris. I bought the first Puyo Puyo Tetris three times.

So in for more!

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
I liked the first one, but only for the Tetris aspects. I found Puyo Puyo gameplay mechanics to be lackluster at best. Tetris 99 and Tetris Effect do Tetris so much better, so if this turned out to be just a reskin of the first game, that's going to be an easy pass.

Can't blame you there. If you're not much of a Puyo fan, that's definitely going to impact your enjoyment of this mashup from the sound of things.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I really enjoyed the first game. I will probably pick up the second one because if nothing else I'll enjoy going through the single-player for the challenges and it's an update for playing with friends when they're over.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to getting the game eventually but I hope some of those post release features are substantial since I was hoping for more new stuff from the base game. Skill Battle seems cool, and I'll take anything resembling Tetris Battle Gaiden, but you'd expect more from a sequel.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Is there a review thread? Ours went up earlier but I'm curious what others thought

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine not reviewing the most important game of the year smh
clearly this 2020 game doesn't qualify for the 2020 best of lists because it came out in december 2020, when it instantly became 2021 right on Dec. 1st.

Any word on the structure of Story Mode? I saw it looked more map like, offering more options as to the order you could play stages compared to the original.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Will buy if it has fully customizable controls (instead of shitty presets like PPT) and 4K support.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it does not. Switch version does take advantage of HD rumble though.

Kind of a shame they didn't nerf 4-wide like they did with Tetris Effect.
Hopefully they nerf that and this OHKO Skill Battle set-up:

4-wides were nerfed in Tetris Effect? Interesting... To the Hard Drop wiki!

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Puyo Nexus has a review up.

It's also a solid primer into the series history and its struggles with gaining traction in the West.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Time to learn how to be good at Puyo Puyo again.
Count me in for the Arle fan club! Technically, Puyo Puyo is a Madou Monogatari spin-off in the first place.
I'm always fascinated by this IP's history.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
reviews are out and they're pretty positive

opencritic.com

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Reviews

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 54 critics, with an overall average score of 79. It's ranked in the top 25% of games and recommended by 78% of critics.