• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should you put your picture on your resumé?

• Yes, in 2019 it looks better

Votes: 34 10.3%
  • No, it can hurt you and is out of place

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • Only if your industry calls for it

Votes: 154 46.5%

• Total voters

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not unless you're applying for like acting or modeling jobs. You put the information relevant for the job and your contact information, anything beyond that that's not requested specifically for the job just invites potential discimination.

We've specifically had to ask people not to put photos on their resumes.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
So I went to redo my resumé this morning (had an interview) and I noticed almost every template I found for my software had a place to put a photo of myself... But should I?

I was taught initially you don't include a photograph in the USA. I'm in Orlando in marketing, so I'm not looking to be in sales or like a news anchor or something looks-oriented.

Is this is a thing now or just something graphic designers have cooked up in templates?

Can it help you?

I used to work with recruiters and we would laugh at resumes that had ridiculous pictures. It's out of place in most industries. Unless you're working in an industry that requires headshots, like acting or modeling, then don't put it on there.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna see your pic the second I click the linkedin link in your resume anyway, so. I guess I'm.. not actually sure which side I'm arguing with that. Doesn't hurt since I'm already gonna see it? Not necessary since I'm already gonna see it?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna see your pic the second I click the linkedin link in your resume anyway, so. I guess I'm.. not actually sure which side I'm arguing with that. Doesn't hurt since I'm already gonna see it? Not necessary since I'm already gonna see it?
There's whole swathes of the world (and industries) that don't use Linkedin. Why would you even want the linkedin link if you already have the full resume?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
There are industries that do this, though most do not. If you work in one or are attempting to work in one that does, you will know and should conform accordingly. If you have to ask, you likely do not work in such a field and should absolutely not do this.

I've only been asked to in Asia, but I did have several resumes come across my desk when I was a manager that had photos. And if they didn't, many linked to an online portfolio that had a photo. I don't think you need to or should have to, but if you've got a good headshot, why not get some mileage out of it by putting it with your online stuff. With LinkedIn it's always there, anyway. Personally, I liked seeing the people behind the info.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's whole swathes of the world (and industries) that don't use Linkedin. Why would you even want the linkedin link if you already have the full resume?

I generally prefer the "living document" version of a resume, and I like to see the other network-related things present there that aren't on the hard-copy version.

But yes, obviously these comments only apply to scenarios where LinkedIn is in common use.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I generally prefer the "living document" version of a resume, and I like to see the other network-related things present there that aren't on the hard-copy version.

But yes, obviously these comments only apply to scenarios where LinkedIn is in common use.
So a candidate without a linkedin account would stand out as strange?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So a candidate without a linkedin account would stand out as strange?

In my particular industry/location (web dev in Chicago) yeah, a little bit. It's not gonna torpedo your chances or anything, but it does give me an initial impression that you're a bit "disconnected" from the general industry network.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the country and field. In games most companies just print your LinkedIn profile these days

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I once saw a CV where the guy was in his swim suit (job was an engineering position). Not kidding.

That said, I generally recommend putting a picture. Definitely put one if you are good looking.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I don't think it's the end-all-be-all when it comes to resumes, but I've been told it's hyper important if you're working in any position where you're regularly meeting with clients. So long as you look nice, it's something that will stick you out from the crowd. The most important thing that I've discovered is that you need a truly custom-designed resume, especially if you're applying for a position with any type of creative work. In my last application for a marketing director position, I was told that including a headshot with my resume made it look a lot more professional.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I have a picture of myself on my CV and I think it has probably helped me. I've never applied for any serious positions though. Dunno what a resume is.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Unless you're applying to be an actor or something, no, don't do it. Of course, I'm from the USA, where not putting it is the norm.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I never used to until I started teaching English. Every job I've applied to in all the years I've done it has always asked for a picture, especially ones in Asia.

If I applied for a non-teaching job, I'd probably remove it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
In the US, absolutely not unless explicitly asked for.

It depends on the country. Some, yes.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should never do that, either because some bigot could discriminate you by your looks or race for example, or because you are stupid enough to not realize that you must post a formal and serious picture of yourself in your resume.

I was looking for an assistant and someone send me a resume with a selfie of himself holding liquor at a party. I didn't even bothered to read the rest of the resume

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If your industry called for it then I guess, but that's bogus to me. Only increases opportunity to discriminate, so I voted #2.

If I ever receive a resume with someone's photo I'd be like "... wtf is this...?" But I work in tech and that's not common. I know a lot of recent grads put theirs on because thy blast them out to a million companies.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Had no idea you didn't put your picture in the US, it's normal to do so (as in, expected) in France and Japan in my experience.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I know some girls who did this in male dominated industries and it worked out well for them but it's pretty tacky.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This is a bad idea. There's already bias (concious and unconcious) on how employees are selected and by adding in a visual component, you're only exaggerating these biases.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
As someone who has been a hiring manager - photos are a bad, bad thing to put on your resume. Recruiters have told me numerous times that they filtered out any resume with photos because it creates a bias that no hiring manager/recruiter wants to bring to light. It's better to be contacted based on your merits, work experience, and skills - not how you look.

Sure, there are some industries that are very "appearance-orientated" (like acting and so forth) but you would have additional things as well (headshots and all). In any other industry, it's likely to be tossed out even before being provided to a hiring manager.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait, this isn't common in the US? I see a profile picture in literally every resumé I come across. Mine has it as well.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Extremely common in Europe and almost required in Germany. In the US I heard it is pretty rare so you probably don't have to

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started doing it because I have a bunch of good photos. And they called me back.
Kinda shitty world tbh.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
It's a waste of space and you want your resume to be as concise as possible anyway. Unless it's a job that would specifically factor your looks into getting the role(and in that case they usually want a portfolio, not just a single image), it's at best useless and at worst looks a bit unprofessional and wasteful.

Edit: In the US, and specifically in the tech world, although when doing a lecture on resume writing(part of my review for my IT Senior Project - don't ask) this issue was specifically brought up in "What not to do on your resume" for the reasons I gave above.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This seems to depend on country/region and on the industry you work in. In Canada, it's not really common at all for most jobs, but I've seen it done.

I don't do it. Maybe I should start!

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't put my picture on LinkedIn, so I dont quite understand the "They're gonna see your pic on LinkedIn anyway" replies.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to do it but then I read that it's frowned upon by HR departments in the USA because of potential discrimination.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I hate it and I have long thought it was an undercover way to basically say "look at the attractive white person" without actually saying it.

We already know people with "black sounding" names tend to have their resumes chucked. I feel this is a step further and should be actively discouraged by HR departments and resumes with photos thrown out.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
In the US that would open you up to a lawsuit (you discriminated against me based on my sex, race, etc.)

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I wouldn't, no. And here in the UK, don't think I've ever really seen it either. I would add a photograph to a LinkedIn or something, but not on a CV itself.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's normal to have it in Europe, I do and my employer explicitly askes for one even though it's an office

I remember learning in school that you shouldn't do it on english or US resumes though