• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
So I can put them on pretty well but that only applies when I'm doing it for other people. When it comes to my stuff I get performance anxiety.
So I just buy a bunch of them at time and pay a little more for the ones that come with the plastic guide.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
As long as youre not straight up breaking your screen i dont see the point. Screena on good phones simply dont scratch, at least from my experience. And im not careful with it at all. Funniest thing is peoppe who use plastic ones that are completely scratched. Scratches im pretty sure wouldnt be there without the protection.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as youre not straight up breaking your screen i dont see the point. Screena on good phones simply dont scratch, at least from my experience. And im not careful with it at all. Funniest thing is peoppe who use plastic ones that are completely scratched. Scratches im pretty sure wouldnt be there without the protection.
Glass is glass. Glass scratches. It doesn't matter how "good" your phone is.

And anyone that knows what they're doing is getting a tempered glass protector, not a plastic one.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Its so easy now with the one touch tempered glass protector.....mine came out perfect (not a single piece of dust/or bubble and took all of 5 minutes. This video shows how easy it is.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Glass is glass. Glass scratches. It doesn't matter how "good" your phone is.

And anyone that knows what they're doing is getting a tempered glass protector, not a plastic one.
Not all glasses are the same. Not all glasses scratch. And im not arguing that smartphones have some ultra super obsidian glass or whatever like super expensive watches, youre gonna have a hard time scratching those, but they are not regular glass for sure. I have my phones always for 2 years and the screens are never scratched. And i always have my lighter in the same pocket and sometimes coins.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Gorilla Glass - Wikipedia

This is the glass samsung galaxies use.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not all glasses are the same. Not all glasses scratch. And im not arguing that smartphones have some ultra super obsidian glass or whatever like super expensive watches, youre gonna have a hard time scratching those, but they are not regular glass for sure. I have my phones always for 2 years and the screens are never scratched. And i always have my lighter in the same pocket and sometimes coins.
Watch any professional scratch test on a phone. Literally every phone scratches between 6 and 7 on the mohs scale of mineral hardness.

It's not a mystery. It's well documented.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Watch any professional scratch test on a phone. Literally every phone scratches between 6 and 7 on the mohs scale of mineral hardness.

It's not a mystery. It's well documented.

Ok? I dont really care about any of that, im not claiming that it is indestructible. Fact is that my phones dont scratch even with sloppy use so for me it would be a waste to use a protector.. You do you though.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Fuck screen protectors. I'll take on the challenge of not scratching the screen.

If I crack it, I deserve it.

I successfully thwarted one launch when I screen-protected my Switch.

I apologize to whomever I killed fucking up my Kindle Fire attempt.

y4m0yBV.gif

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now try doing it when you have hyperhidrosis and your hands are constantly sweating.
I always have other people do them for me. Can't be bothered anymore.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I literally put it on perfect on my Switch. Like every gap from the bezel is perfectly equidistant around the whole screen. I couldn't believe it. And it's so good, I haven't wanted to change it even though my protector is cracked. Lol.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I also hated putting the stickers on my M.A.S.K toys when I was a kid. Would usually get mad about the placement and tear them off.
Then spend hours cleaning off the residue

I keep buying the screen protectors but seldom even bother. I've done the hot shower thing for dust and everything.
I feel the anxiety just thinking about it

Just got a pixel 5 and I'm going full nekkid. It's too sexy to cover. Doing protection plan tho

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use the Spiegen screen protectors and they are dead easy to install since they come with a tray to align it. I do it in the bathroom after running some hot water, the steam helps keep the dust off the phone so it's easier to apply it without dust getting trapped inside.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch was a nightmare. Absolute nightmare. My best advice would be to do it in the bathroom, wear a hat, wear a set of nitrile or latex gloves, and pray to whatever god you need to.

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I used for my XS Max and my 12 Pro Max.

Expensive but so are phones. Easy as shit to apply. The application tray rests on top so there's no real way to fuck it up. Do it in a steamy bathroom and you're 99.9% good.

I was coming in here to recommend that! It was the best experience I've ever had putting on one of these things.

Not sure what's up with the price there though...I got a two pack for $12.99 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempe...2221&sprefix=spigen+iphone+12+pro+max+&sr=8-3

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
My switch.. I put the tempered glass on perfectly. Then I noticed there's a very thin wavy piece of a cat hair trapped under there. Otherwise, it's perfect. I try to not let it bother me.... :/

I cut to size and applied screen protectors to two super mario game & watches.. One is absolutely perfect, not a speck of dust anywhere.
The other one has one particle of dust...... doh well....

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
gotta do the tape hinge. game changer compared to trying to 'freehand' it.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I usually take mine to an electronics repair shop, they take care of it for a few bucks. I've given up on being able to install it myself.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
How do those trays that align the protector deal with bubbles? I thought you had to come in at an angle to let the air out? Seems like the hinge method would be the best.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I burned through four protectors on my new phone before finally deciding to settle for only having one tiny piece of dust near the bottom middle. It's juuuuust a bit too far in to grab with a piece of tape, I'd basically have to lift half of the protector off.

Maybe I'll try again with the bathroom trick. Thanks for the tip.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Naked is best. No case, no protector. Raw.
I tried this. The metal and glass they use is way to slippery and hurt my hand from gripping too hard and I'm also scared to put it on stuff like the granite kitchen counter tops. I use a thin silicone case on my iPad and Galaxy phone and the experience is way better. I don't use screen protectors other than my Switch.

The tempered glass on the Switch is one of the easiest ones to put on I've found. Bubbles aren't really a problem and dust seems to not be attracted to either the screen nor protector. I put it on 5 different switches and are all flawless except for one which the glue is very slowly sliding from heat, I think it might be defective.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've gotten better since I've started using tape as hinges, but when I put on on my tablet and the corners aren't staying stuck.

I have a replacement tempered glass one for my mp3 phone sitting on my counter just waiting to be applied.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

en.m.wikipedia.org

Gorilla Glass - Wikipedia

This is the glass samsung galaxies use.
What glasses don't scratch? Even the crazy expensive (for me at least) Rolex of my brother in law using sapphire glas got scratched. Is there anything in reach for normal people that does not?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, I've wasted so many now that I don't even give a fuck if the end result is shit. I've tried everything, from the hot shower to using products to make the screen a bit wet.

Still look like garbage. I would love to have enough money to just go raw and buy a new one if something happened, but eh.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I got to the level where I put a tempered glass protector on my ipad pro and it was flawless. (as a side benefit it also reinforced the thin screen)

The secret is firstly the hinge method, then loooots of patience removing tiny particles with scotch tape.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
What glasses don't scratch? Even the crazy expensive (for me at least) Rolex of my brother in law using sapphire glas got scratched. Is there anything in reach for normal people that does not?
Everything scratches. But some stuff is hard to scratch with regular or even sloppy use. Sure you can take a diamond and scratch it. This is exaggerating ofc, it doesnt have to be a diamond but it has to have a certain strength. And depending on the glass it can be stronger than a lot of metals/rocks etc. You're not gonna scratch your screen with iron for instance because iron is too soft. According to wiki. The steel is the hardiness where the new samsung screens begin to scratch. Everything that is softer should be fine.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I like using the hot shower technique: Start a hot shower, let the bathroom get really steamy, then apply the screen protector. Helps reduce the amount of dust in the air and under the screen protector.

And yes glass is wayyyy better than plastic.
This has been what I've done for most effective applications.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather just have a scratch on my screen than attempt to perfectly place a screen protector. They look so difficult to do right. I feel like if you have a good enough case around the rest of the phone, you won't actually crack your screen.