• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
I moved to Albuquerque about a year ago, and quickly found out about a chain in New Mexico called Dion's:

Dions_Pizza.png
The story apparently goes, Dion's started out as a Greek restaurant but the suppliers who were contracted for the ingredients messed up and couldn't get enough supplies in time for opening. All they had was a bunch of flour, and tomatoes. As a result, they decided they would only sell pizza for the first few weeks. It became so successful, and people liked the pizza so much, that they dropped the Greek food and just turned into a pizza place.

Since then, they've expanded to 20 different locations, and driving around you always see them busy, sometimes with a line of cars snaking out of the parking lot for the drive-up pick-up window. Whenever my coworkers get pizza for events at work, they always go with Dion's. Everyone here seems to think Dion's is the shit.

Let me dissuade you of that notion: Dion's is scrub tier pizza just like all other New York style pizzas. New York style pizza as a whole is overrated and basic. It is the least interesting type of pizza, and nearly every other form builds off of it. It is for this reason and this reason alone I can imagine New Yorkers and other East Coast types are so sensitive about their style of pizza, and demand people view it as the best type of pizza. And let me tell you: it isn't.

That aside, good pizza is good pizza, even if it's the lowest tier of pizza. And Dion's is okay for what it is, but nothing special. It's very average NY-esque pizza made in a more accessible format. It's the half-step between true-thin-crust-floppy-NY-born-and-bred-pizza and your average somewhat bread-y "hand tossed" American pizza, with the same type of toppings you'd find anywhere else (with the exception of true New Mexican Hatch Green Chile, which is a must-have pizza topping but common at even fast food pizza places here). It's cheap-style pizza but at local pizza place prices. It's both incredibly unoriginal yet acceptable, it's Kirkland Signature pizza if Costco charged twice as much as they do for it.

So this is me, officially putting all of you Dion's lovers on blast: your favorite ain't shit. Stop by a Pizza 9 to see what you're missing.

OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
is it better or worse than little struggles (cesars)
Caesar's exists in its own little niche so like you can hate on it for being bad pizza, but if you're in a spot where you need a $5 pizza it's gonna be what you need.

Plus they made Albuquerque a test market for their Impossible Sausage pizza and when I went and got it, it was genuinely better than I expected.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truth. Moved to ABQ from Chicago and everyone told me to try Dions. Just awful.

Edit: Pizza 9 is indeed superior, and their double deep dish (which, you know, we'd simply call deep dish back home) is legit.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dion's is fine, but I haven't been there for a long time because I no longer live in New Mexico. Green Chile Ranch is legit though. Also, if anyone wants to send me some tortillas from the Frontier LMK please, haha.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Dions is fine. I rarely get the pizza, but always get subs and salads there. My favorite pizza in the city is at Slice Parlor or Giovanni's, depending on my mood. Do wish someone would offer a proper Chicago style deep dish.

Pizza 9 is an upscale Pizza Hut.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I worked at a Dion's for a summer in...2005? 2006? not good

it also doesn't whatsoever resemble anything that can be realistically described as "New-York-style pizza"

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Dions is is not good pizza (their salads pretty good though) but as a New yorker that now lives in Albuquerque the fact that you think Dions is representative of New York pizza is... wow. That would be like me shitting on Chicago pizza because I went to an Uno's...

Try Slice parlor in Nobb hill or Saggios near UNM for a better representative of New York pizza (still nowhere near as good as better stuff you'll get in the tri state) Best pizza in Abq is Frerenzi downtown imo but thats more expensive brick oven style stuff.

Edit: oh and pizza 9 is fucking disgusting. Their crusts are soaked in butter. Butter!

Last edited:

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Dions is fine. I rarely get the pizza, but always get subs and salads there. My favorite pizza in the city is at Slice Parlor or Giovanni's, depending on my mood. Do wish someone would offer a proper Chicago style deep dish.

Never been to Giovannis but i think my wife has mentioned it before. I'll have to check it out one day.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Any style pizza that isn't New York style just isn't pizza. Chicago is by far the worst and more of a Italian marinara based dish than a pizza. Not saying it's bad, it's just not pizza. Dion's is great though

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
People who still get sensitive about NY pizza or whatever are clowns. Its damn near 2020. Nobody gives a fuck about what you consider pizza.

OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Dion's is NY style in as much, as I described in the OP, it's the type of cross between average hand tossed pizza you get at most fast food places, and actual thin, floppy style NY pizza. The idea you're gate keeping down to "well it's not *real* NY style unless it's actually floppy and thin" is just that, gate keeping. I don't get the point because Slice Parlor is also mediocre at best. (I also visited NYC recently and had John's on Bleecker; it was pretty good but did nothing to dissuade me that NY style pizza is the lowest tier of pizza).

I also wondered how long it took until someone complained that "Chicago Deep Dish isn't real pizza!!!" That type of argument always struck me as not having a real argument, and just wanting to find an easy excuse to dismiss anything that isn't your favorite scrub tier plain pizza style.

I'd really like to go to the Pizza Huts you're going to then, because Pizza Hut isn't anywhere near Pizza 9, or Dion's, or any other local place. It's fast food pizza that didn't get the memo that it's fast food pizza.

Edit: oh and pizza 9 is fucking disgusting. Their crusts are soaked in butter. Butter!

This isn't saying anything. Detroit Deep Dish uses butter in the pan and it's one of the best styles of pizza there is. You're not even making a good argument here, here's one for you:

"oh and New York style pizza is fucking disgusting. Their crusts are floppy. Floppy!"

That's not saying anything, it's just dismissive because of some context-less detail.

Last edited:

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Slice parlor is mediocre at best but pizza 9 is where it's at huh? Ok...
Its means that the "pizza wars" have become lame and overdid. Like we get it. Pizza is serious business and you have strong opinions.
It's really cool how, like, youre just over all of it man. I hope I can achieve that level of detachment one day. Untill then I'm gonna have fun talking shit about food.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Slice parlor is mediocre at best but pizza 9 is where it's at huh? Ok...

It's really cool how, like, youre just over all of it man. I hope I can achieve that level of detachment one day. Untill then I'm gonna have fun talking shit about food.
Sorry I think the gate keeping that New Yorkers tend to participate in concerning something that didn't even originate in America let alone NY is cringey. Don't mind me, have your fun.