• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 2, 2018
375px-763Tsareena.png

Really? I like the design, really never thought about it in that way. The more you know!

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Yes, the gameplay of his latest game is nothing actually crazy. Just boring. The things that are actually crazy are in his story, and that stuff is so poorly laid out in so many exposition dumps and generally overlong crappy cutscenes, that I'm not sure if that's something positive.

Boktai was weird. Not even bad weird, but yeah. I'd like to play my handheld games in my room sometimes.

Couldn't be more wrong.

There are plenty of gameplay concepts in DS and Kojima's games in general that are "crazy". Hell, if you are taking solely bullet points from reviews/media its a game where a big focus is on traversal, terrain, balance, etc which by itself is largely ignored by 95% of games out there

The irony is funny too to criticize storytelling specifically when we're talking about Pokemon as a comparison.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't be more wrong.

There are plenty of gameplay concepts in DS and Kojima's games in general that are "crazy". Hell, if you are taking solely bullet points from reviews/media its a game where a big focus is on traversal, terrain, balance, etc which by itself is largely ignored by 95% of games out there
They can be crazy if you want to call them that, I'm just not in agreement that "crazy" means "good".
When your whole gameplay loop revolves around walking around, I'd expect the walking mechanics, as a bare minimum, to be more elaborate than holding forward, which is the case obviously. That still doesn't make Death Stranding's walking mechanics good to me, but rather tedious.

I'm not wrong about this, I just have different tastes and opinions than you.

Death Strandings story is dogshit, is told in overindulgent cutscenes with exposition dumps galore. The bossfights are hilariously bad, too. Its only interesting mechanics are in its traversal. But interesting doesn't automatically mean the game isn't boring to actually play

Last edited:

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Only if he is in charge of the cinematography. If he had his way the only pokemon you'd get is something weird like a tangela or dratini and that's it.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
They can be crazy if you want to call them that, I'm just not in agreement that "crazy" means "good".
When your whole gameplay loop revolves around walking around, I'd expect the walking mechanics to be more elaborate than holding forward, which is the case obviously. That still doesn't make Death Stranding's walking mechanics good to me.

I'm not wrong about this, I just have different tastes and opinions than you.

Death's Strandings story is dogshit, is told in overindulgent cutscese with exposition dumps galore. The bossfights are hilariously bad, too.

I'm not saying crazy means good nor am I addressing your opinion on the game itself.

I'm saying those gameplay elements are "crazy" or against the grain in the scope of normal game mechanics.
You seem to be throwing in other conjecture and your opinion thats irrelevant to...anything.

In the case of Boktai or DS, you are saying a game that uses the Sun as a gameplay mechanic or a game that focuses on "walking mechanics" more than holding forward are not "crazy" to you????
...Good or not it sounds pretty crazy to me lol

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Pokemon are actually supernatural mind control devices created by the US government.
The children are actually child soldiers training in a simulated reality when the capture a Pokemon , they are actually taking somebody as a slave

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying crazy means good nor am I addressing your opinion on the game itself. lol

I'm saying those gameplay elements are "crazy" or against the grain in the scope of normal game mechanics.
You seem to be throwing in other conjecture and your opinion thats irrelevant to...anything. lol

In the case of Boktai or DS, you are saying a game that uses the Sun as a gameplay mechanic or a game that focuses on "walking mechanics" more than holding forward are not "crazy" to you????
...Good or not it sounds pretty crazy to me lol
The thing is, Boktai was legitimately a crazy idea. Too crazy for its own good.

Death Stranding has "holding triggers while walking to balance yourself out and terrain you can trip on".

Helping people out online via asynchronous multiplayer isn't new, just the fact you do it via ropes, ziplines, ladders and briges instead of messages is. Meters aren't new either. Just because he called one Blood instead of Sleep doesn't mean it's crazy.
Focusing on traversal isn't crazy either, BotW did that some time ago. Shitty combat isn't revolutionary either.

Like, if you want to call making a game as boring as DS "crazy" and "against the grain in the scope of normal game mechanics" go ahead. If oyu think that's a daring thing to do, sure. I wouldn't call it that.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to see Kojima tackle the monster collecting genre.
That was Peace Walker. Kojima was briefly obsessed with Pokemon Gold and Silver, and mentioned that inspired the soldier capturing mechanic in Famitsu or whatever.

DeTzyo2.jpg

Around the release of Pokemon Go:
While the Metal Gear creator talked about his new game Death Stranding, he made it clear he's up for some poké-hunting at some point. Just as soon as he has the time. "When I get back to Japan I'll probably play Pokémon Go" he explained at the con. "A few years a go I played a lot of Pokémon Gold and Silver," he said, adding an fairly emphatic "a lot."

While he admits he hasn't played anything more recent, he does want to play Go but worries he's "getting behind everyone". Kojima said that "reading my twitter and my timeline? Everyone's playing Pokémon Go and I feel like I'm being left behind". He did also drop one bombshell while talking on the livestream, "I don't care about Pikachu".

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
The thing is, Boktai was legitimately a crazy idea. Too crazy for its own good.

Death Stranding has "holding triggers while walking to balance yourself out and terrain you can trip on".

Helping people out online via asynchronous multiplayer isn't new, just the fact you do it via ropes, ziplines, ladders and briges instead of messages is. Meters aren't new either. Just because he called one Blood instead of Sleep doesn't mean it's crazy.
Focusing on traversal isn't crazy either, BotW did that some time ago. Shitty combat isn't revolutionary either.

Like, if you want to call making a game as boring as DS "crazy" and "against the grain in the scope of normal game mechanics" go ahead. If oyu think that's a daring thing to do, sure. I wouldn't call it that.

i have no idea where you are going with your argument but okay.
Lets just call all of that boring and normal and call it a day.

"Just because he called one Blood instead of Sleep doesn't mean it's crazy."

Yes it does. Its fucking crazy, man. You need to start taking crazy pills.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
the original post is one of the silliest ideas I've ever read I'm not going to bother explaining why it's one that won't ever happen

on the other hand, there IS a scenario writer who worked on a subset of Pokemon games who's far more skilled and talented, one who would be great for the main series: Shinichiro Tomie of Spike Chunsoft fame. He was the scenario writer who came up with the idea of changing the first PMD from a Pikachu-themed spinoff (the original, announced version), to the plot-heavy games we have now. And those stories are absolutely freaking fantastic, especially Rescue Team and Super, along with Sky's fifth special episode.

Every PMD moment people remember was pretty much thanks by his excellent writing and he gets almost NO CREDIT whatsoever. It's pretty darn upsetting, even though he's right in the credits of every PMD game. He worked at Tecmo IIRC before joining Chunsoft and he did some anime soccer game, so it's interesting to see how one man came a long way. I legitimately think if he wrote for a main series game, it could be one of the best RPG stories in modern history, his stuff is that good. I mean, if not that, then a PMD gen 8 or remake may happen, and all of you who're on the fence or didn't want Sword/Shield have no excuse to not buy PMD. It's pretty much ahead of the main series in a lot of aspects except for out-of-dungeon exploration.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
"Let's take, for example, what the 'monsters' eat. The rabbit seems to be of the normal herbivorous variety, but can be seen, in this game, grilling and eating fish. Also, in this game, pigs and cows enjoy barbecue (but you can't see what they're grilling). What is going on in this ecosystem? When you run out of things to eat, do you resort to cannibalism? Is there so much difference in the intelligence of birds and fish? If you walk on two legs and talk, does that mean you won't be hunted? Is the value of your life determined by your intelligence? There are so many interesting themes hidden in this game."

"Why do you have to collect things that are right next to the monsters to make them happy, like a slave? I guess this represents the divisions between people in class society."

More here :

Also talks about getting revenge on Tom Nook and burning the forest.

Ha.

Thanks for sharing.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
a buncha fake Kojima fans in here who never played Peace Walker.

That was Peace Walker. Kojima was briefly obsessed with Pokemon Gold and Silver, and mentioned that inspired the soldier capturing mechanic in Famitsu or whatever.

DeTzyo2.jpg

Around the release of Pokemon Go:
While the Metal Gear creator talked about his new game Death Stranding, he made it clear he's up for some poké-hunting at some point. Just as soon as he has the time. "When I get back to Japan I'll probably play Pokémon Go" he explained at the con. "A few years a go I played a lot of Pokémon Gold and Silver," he said, adding an fairly emphatic "a lot."

While he admits he hasn't played anything more recent, he does want to play Go but worries he's "getting behind everyone". Kojima said that "reading my twitter and my timeline? Everyone's playing Pokémon Go and I feel like I'm being left behind". He did also drop one bombshell while talking on the livestream, "I don't care about Pikachu".

There we go!

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Kojima would definitely constantly bring up the morality of capturing animals and forcing them to fight for personal gain, so I hope you're ready for the Requiem for a Dream of Pokemon games.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I get Kojima's stories can be over the top and a bit stupid sometimes, but having him making a game for younger kids doesn't seem like a good idea

Jun 2, 2019
Kojima would definitely constantly bring up the morality of capturing animals and forcing them to fight for personal gain, so I hope you're ready for the Requiem for a Dream of Pokemon games.

That wouldn't be a first in the series you know

And since the moral of the story in Pokémon is that Pokémon and humans are friend who work, laugh and fight together, the story would end as it already did in Black/White

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The stalest franchise in the world meets the most batshit insane auteur dev in the AAA scene?

They'd probably just suffer mutual annihilation and emit some gamma rays.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Controversial opinion but I had always thought Pokemon to be super stale. I mean if you're not watching the anime than I really do not see the charm.

My favorite was Emerald because my Pokemon fever during those gen Pokemon was at all time high.

I infact LOVED Mystery Dungeon. They had such a cute charming thing going on at every step of it's game and story was fun.

Dec 20, 2017
Thanks for the post OP, I needed a good laugh.

Honestly though, the plots of the last few games (prior to SwShat least) wouldn't have been that out of place from a Kojima story. Like Ultra Sun and Moon were WILD.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Controversial opinion but I had always thought Pokemon to be super stale. I mean if you're not watching the anime than I really do not see the charm.

My favorite was Emerald because my Pokemon fever during those gen Pokemon was at all time high.

I infact LOVED Mystery Dungeon. They had such a cute charming thing going on at every step of it's game and story was fun.
It's only stale because we're still doing single battles in the main campaign. This series needs a switch to doubles really bad.

Oct 29, 2017
The year 2304, after the last nuclear war every animal species born on Earth is extinct save for the pets of lunar colonists. One genius scientist carries on his pocket the last genetic material needed to repopulate the Earth's fauna with the power of genetic engineering. Stronger, faster, smarter animals, with incredible powers.

Hideo Kojima Presents... Pocket-Monsters

Mar 27, 2018
When your pokemon falls in battle you see it's previous evolution in it's own stomach, before exiting through the mouth. You catch the pokeball and vomit black goo

Professor Oak has a daughter named Waifish and she helps you on your journey. She is allergic to fabric, and therefore forced to traipse around in nothing but surgical titanium nipple pasties and chainmail mesh panties