• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not into conspiracy theories. But statements like this one by Putin makes the "the sabotage of liberalism in western democracies was done by Russian intelligence" rhetoric very believable.

It's not just rhetoric. And it's not a conspiracy theory. It's happening in plain sight and well documented. Regardless of how much of that harm is caused by normal internal corruption and incompetence , there is literally zero doubt that Russia has spent significant effort and treasure attempting exactly that. And the number one thing they've exposed is how vulnerable we are to it and what a fantastic return on investment naked bribery and xenophobia are. Especially if you don't care whether people know or not.

Yup. The west can get messy but we've survived way more catastrophic events way better than what the USSR ever could. Oh wait.

The USSR basically collapsed twice already. I don't know what is going to happen to the Russian federation but there's no decent case for "oh wait" and Putin isn't elevating it's citizens - who are suffering outrages daily to their democracy, infrastructure and economy as a mafia network bleeds their resources and effort dry -- it's trying to drag everyone else's down. I hope for the best for Russian citizens and they deserve better.

And yes yes we're just as bad etc.

Last edited:

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I'm not into conspiracy theories. But statements like this one by Putin makes the "the sabotage of liberalism in western democracies was done by Russian intelligence" rhetoric very believable.
It's not a conspiracy it is the truth. Our intelligence agencies have been saying this since 2016. Robert Mueller was on national television a month ago stating that Russia is attacking our political systems. It is quite clearly spelt out that they influenced and heavily influenced Brexit. This is spreading throughout Europe. A month ago Austria's government collapsed because a Neo Nazi party was elected in charge and they were all ousted to have been in bed with Russian Oligarchs. Steve Bannon, who helped get Trump elected with his Cambridge Analytica company, preaches about a new world order. This same Steve Bannon has now moved on to Europe influencing numerous elections and even forming a Brexit party in many non-British, European nations. This isnt a conspiracy. He is in bed with the richest Russians and they are interested in more money. If they fracture and split up the US and Western European alliances then they can more easily take over surrounding eastern European countries as well as make more money.

Oct 25, 2017
So all he said was basically strawman arguments that don't actually reflect what LGBT activists and liberals say or fight for.

k.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Look I'm not going to do pile on a Russian citizen who have a no more individually responsible for his president's crimes than I am my president's crimes and warmongering but that accusation is not controversial

So if you're claiming bullshit then receipts at least.

And yes yes American adventurism in the middle east literally dwarfs this in casualties and harm. But this thread is about Putin.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Putin is wiping the floor with his opponents. You have to admit he's a genius. An evil genius, but a genius all the same. World domination with (relatively) few bombs dropped.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
It's not just rhetoric. And it's not a conspiracy theory. It's happening in plain sight and well documented. Regardless of how much of that harm is caused by normal internal corruption and incompetence , there is literally zero doubt that Russia has spent significant effort and treasure attempting exactly that. And the number one thing they've exposed is how vulnerable we are to it and what a fantastic return on investment naked bribery and xenophobia are. Especially if you don't care whether people know or not.
It's not a conspiracy it is the truth. Our intelligence agencies have been saying this since 2016. Robert Mueller was on national television a month ago stating that Russia is attacking our political systems. It is quite clearly spelt out that they influenced and heavily influenced Brexit. This is spreading throughout Europe. A month ago Austria's government collapsed because a Neo Nazi party was elected in charge and they were all ousted to have been in bed with Russian Oligarchs. Steve Bannon, who helped get Trump elected with his Cambridge Analytica company, preaches about a new world order. This same Steve Bannon has now moved on to Europe influencing numerous elections and even forming a Brexit party in many non-British, European nations. This isnt a conspiracy. He is in bed with the richest Russians and they are interested in more money. If they fracture and split up the US and Western European alliances then they can more easily take over surrounding eastern European countries as well as make more money.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I think the damage is already done. Even if Russia and Russian oligarchs disappear Liberalism is on the way out.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Reading the Daily Mail article on this, I sadly went to the comments section... Man, that place is a hive of nazi scum who would kill Jesus himself just for the fact he had long hair...

Ugh...

Fuck Putin. One day he will get his, just like Trump hopefully...

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
There is certainly a rise across the europe for the remnants of what used to be, but to say that most people yearn for those times is coming from the richest and most solid bubble imaginable

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
I was on deployment there a year ago.
Never have I seen or heard about something like this. Nonsense.
There's just no alternative to Putin in Russia. Not a single one
All others will burn this country to the ground.
Nice to know that the Lakhta crew considers Era important enough of a space to shill for our favorite dictator here. How's Prigozhin been treating ya, buddy?
(I'd like to assume that you are at least getting paid to defend the glorious leader on the Internet from the mean Westerners, would be too depressing otherwise)

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Everything Putin said here is common rhetoric from our own far-right parties here in Europe.

Salvini kisses the dude's ass whenever possible.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Everything Putin said here is common rhetoric from our own far-right parties here in Europe.

Salvini kisses the dude's ass whenever possible.

It should be the most telling thing when supposedly pro-democratic European populists go on about how great Putin is, given they're openly praising a guy overseeing a deeply corrupt political system, and the values he espouses are only 'democratic' in a narrowly conservative way, but apparently it's not telling to the fans of populism (or it is and they love it cos fig leaves for essentially dictatorial government is all good)...

...see also a current Twitter grievance, the lack of coverage by 'the MSM' of the Gilets Jaunes. Such a grievance and such a narrative tells you a lot about the worldview. I also saw someone complaining about coverage of Hong Kong protests over Gilets Jaunes. I thought democracy was democracy? Freedom was freedom?

Nah. It's always People Like Us vs The Barbarians for these twats, and Putin mocks them as he appeals to them. They willingly sign up for being mocked and exploited and essentially condescended to in the name of strength and some imagined constellation of 'democratic' (read: white, Christian, hetero, conservative) values... It's beyond pathetic.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
You gotta respect Russia for playing the game well. They installed a puppet as the US president, destabilized the European Union and Nato with minimal consequences on their end.

I would argue they are the main driving force in world politics at the moment.

Doesn't mean I like it of course. It's not like the other world powers have squeaky clean records themselves but Russia seems particularly scummy even in the presence of other scum hives. The way they don't attempt to hide what they do and still deny it with a grin on their faces disgusts me the way few other things do.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shocker Putin praising trump.

Yeah, Putin knows very well that Trump is an idiot, and I don't think he actually respects him at all. BUT, he's smart enough to know that flattery works best with Trump, so he goes along with it. Also he knows that Trump is enamored with him, and he will play him every chance he gets because of it.

Ugh. You can almost SEE the "nudge nudge, wink wink."

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's just no alternative to Putin in Russia. Not a single one
All others will burn this country to the ground.
I love this quote because
Plus, I believe that Surkov, his right hand man at the time, set-up/funded most (if not all) of the opposition parties a while back.

The real master stroke was that he told everyone he did it, completely undermining their credibility.
Like you can't make this shit up.
It also feels like the people who claim only Putin and him alone can lead Russia are all in on the koolaid.
Like seriously among the millions of Russian people, the only competent leader is a rando former KGB officer?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love this quote because

Like you can't make this shit up.
It also feels like the people who claim only Putin and him alone can lead Russia are all in on the koolaid.
Like seriously among the millions of Russian people, the only competent leader is a rando former KGB officer?

Exactly. Just because it's the prevailing narrative doesn't mean it's true.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
tenor.gif

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
"But this must not be allowed to overshadow the culture, traditions and traditional family values of millions of people making up the core population."

Oh, Vlad... you were SOOO CLOSE!

I can hear the old-school commie spiel crying to come through that last sentence.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Vladimir Putin is a strong leader like how arsenic is a strong drink.
-Garry Kasparov

I'm always a little bummed when Putin's continued statements about Russia undermining liberal democracy are things that get people to notice, but Russia invading and conquering a European democracy with tanks and troops in 2012 is like, "eh, should we really be alarmed... Is Russia really trying to destabilize the West?"

Putin is giving Trump a rather back-handed compliment.

He's correct that Trump is no politician, and has no ability as one. And no ability as a leader, or as president.

He's also correct that Trump is talented when it comes to "giving his supporters what they want".

Trump is a stupid man who is also a born, talented bullshit artist. He knows how to make willing dupes cheer for him and how to entertain them.

OP
OP
famikon

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ

John wrote in response, "I find duplicity in your comment that you want LGBT people to 'be happy' and that 'we have no problem in that.' Yet Russian distributors chose to heavily censor my film 'Rocketman' by removing all references to my finding true happiness through my 25 year relationship with David and the raising of my two beautiful sons. This feels like hypocrisy to me."

John was referring to Russian distributor's removal of scenes with gay sex and men kissing pursuant to Russian "homosexual propaganda" laws.

The singer ended his letter: "I am proud to live in a part of the world where our governments have evolved to recognize the universal human right to love whoever we want. And I'm truly grateful for the advancement in government policies that have legally supported and allowed my marriage to David. This has brought us both tremendous comfort and happiness."

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This is the part where the villian deems fit to explain in lurid detail their evil plans.

Lets see if its a victory lap based off of hubris cuz this kind of operation he's running isnt one that works when the plan is explained.