• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
The original source is Russian and honestly it is hard to get much out of that area right now (why I said supposedly), but the source retweeting has done a good job vetting so far. This could be from an OPSEC reason too since videos were coming out showing troop movements.

It's fine, you just have to post a source instead of just a claim so we can judge its veracity. Otherwise this thread rapidly turns into rumor mongering.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So remember of the talk about Putin's warchest? Apparently thje west can hit it hard.

As I was telling it to that poster that kept posting about the Russian reserve in the previous thread, a reserve in gold and FOREX doesn't mean it is easily accessible. And now with these sanctions can be partially blocked and partially needs to be spent to refinancing their debts anyhow.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't know anything about sanctions...are these that Biden listed going to actually affect Russia?
VEB is important. Not enough (there's like 4 other banks they need to hit to make a dent in Russia's financial system) but important.

Sovereign debt is important, but the debt is fairly small; Russian reserves will get drained faster, but it's not going to have any immediate effect.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
they thought the west would falter? the writing was on the wall 2-3 weeks back; these aren't some nobodies living in a village somewhere; they were in the know.

Like I said, Russia isn't turning back now; regardless of what sanctions you put on them.

They might decide not to go further in; but they aren't turning back.

This is going to end in a fight sadly.

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty good response from Biden and the US. The most important thing is that the international community are united in this fight against Russia and keep escalating until they back down.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Putin and the Russian government are going to receive a massive economic squeeze, that I don't know how they will recover this war from a financial perspective. Perhaps when it's all said and done, he will be removed from office one way or another. He's taking a monumental bet on going ahead with this invasion.
We needed you yesterday when Era members were saying 'sanctions mean nothing' and wanting boots on the ground.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
VEB is important. Not enough (there's like 4 other banks they need to hit to make a dent in Russia's financial system) but important.

Sovereign debt is important, but the debt is fairly small; Russian reserves will get drained faster, but it's not going to have any immediate effect.
Sberbank, VTB and the rest are probably next if Putin continues but going after them is pretty much the nuclear option of financial sanctions so they're probably holding them back for now

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This will be seen as proof of provocation
I don't think they care anymore; this is now down to Russia vs Ukraine. They are done talking with the West. They are basically looking for Ukraine to immediately submit or be invaded. Honestly, most of the Western "diplomacy" outreach with the insane demands was probably just to distract the west anyways. If they so choose to point to NATO provocations, it is for people on the left and right within these countries, not themselves internally.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't think they care anymore; this is now down to Russia vs Ukraine. They are done talking with the West. They are basically looking for Ukraine to immediately submit or be invaded. Honestly, most of the Western "diplomacy" outreach with the insane demands was probably just to distract the west anyways. If they so choose to point to NATO provocations, it is for people on the left and right within these countries, not themselves internally.

That's a good point. Putin's government probably doesn't care about the west anymore.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine, you just have to post a source instead of just a claim so we can judge its veracity. Otherwise this thread rapidly turns into rumor mongering.
Oh there is a couple more things I saw I'm waiting to see better sourced that are even worse than this. Basically, telltale signs of a wider invasion being imminent.

Oct 27, 2017
We needed you yesterday when Era members were saying 'sanctions mean nothing' and wanting boots on the ground.

Let me know when those sanctions mean anything, or have direct consequences. Even Nord Stream 2 is just a pause on the pipeline that has never opened...

The sanctions should be crippling, like freezing funds/property until Russia leaves Ukraine and it is back in control of its territories. This would not be a direct seizure, but all of the oligarch property/accounts would be effectively gone from outside of Russia. Your visa is revoked, your accounts are frozen, your properties are unavailable for use. Mandate no-service of US/EU companies in Russia, and block Russian companies from accessing EU markets. Make them bleed potential revenue everyday until they go bankrupt.

Sanctioning politicians from taking vacation in Europe is so pointless... Or impounding their 3rd boat...

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Europe is probably freaking out behind closed doors, given their history with Russia, and considering this is the biggest war in Europe since WWII it makes sense that Western Europe would also take this seriously.
it's one of those things that makes eastern expansion a nobrainer

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
Biden has an easier time getting our Allie's in order against Russia than he does two shitty senators. Just shows how keen of a negotiator he is.
(And how abysmally shitty machinema are)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Quick google didnt quite help me. What is "Sovereign Debt" and what does sanctioning it do?

According to Investopedia:

What is Sovereign Debt?

Sovereign debt is a central government's debt. It is debt issued by the national government in a foreign currency in order to finance the issuing country's growth and development. The stability of the issuing government can be provided by the country's sovereign credit ratings which help investors weigh risks when assessing sovereign debt investments.

Sovereign debt is also called government debt, public debt, and national debt.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, these are good starting sanctions.

Also, Hasan has seemed to come to his senses, saying he was wrong about Russia, wrong about Ukraine. I'm just glad because roughly 50k people watch his streams, and I'm happy he finally turned around on that.

If you watched Putin's speech and still support him after all that's happened, then there's something severely wrong with your way of thinking.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Nice, these are good starting sanctions.

Also, Hasan has seemed to come to his senses, saying he was wrong about Russia, wrong about Ukraine. I'm just glad because roughly 50k people watch his streams, and I'm happy he finally turned around on that.

If you watched Putin's speech and still support him after all that's happened, then there's something severely wrong with your way of thinking.
Nah fck him you can't go 'woopsie I made a mistake' after going in so hard for the past few days

Fine that he turned around but I was really disappointed in learning this

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
One piece of propaganda that I find annoying is the "haha western sanctions are powerless against us" meme that Russian trolls spread.

The reality is since the Crimean annexation the GDP, Per Capita, and general standard of living for the majority of the population has been heavily dropping off.

OvrrIXc.png

EY1hVNK.png

Like I have friends that live in the Oblasts, the majority of people outside the major western cities live in third world conditions, the country as a whole is like it was before WW1.

After this war and the economic downfall that follows, I don't see how Russia won't collapse in some form.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised at people surprised at the western reaction...there have been contingency plans for this exact situation for years now. If Trump was in power though....

Status
Not open for further replies.