• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
In any case, it looks like we need them more than us in that regard.

www.reuters.com

Focus: Russia could hit U.S. chip industry, White House warns

The White House is warning the chip industry to diversify its supply chain in case Russia retaliates against threatened U.S. export curbs by blocking access to key materials, people familiar with the matter said.
According to Techcet estimates, over 90% of U.S. semiconductor-grade neon supplies come from Ukraine, while 35% of U.S. palladium is sourced from Russia.
Ukraine is more important than Russia in that regard. Do you want lose that too?

More important:
The White House declined to comment on the specifics of the conversations, but a senior official reiterated that the administration was prepared if Russia invaded Ukraine.

"Part of that is working with companies to make sure that if Russia takes actions that interfere with supply chains, companies are prepared for disruptions," the person said.
"We understand that other sources of key products are available and stand ready to work with our companies to help them identify and diversify their supplies."

And in general, the issue is only about price, not availability. So US will be fine.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.thedrive.com

Russia Sends Its "Terminator" Advanced Urban Fighting Vehicles Towards Ukraine

Only nine of the BMPT-72s are thought to be in frontline Russian use, and they have all been seen heading towards Ukraine.

message-editor%2F1645476030106-terminator_40115444250.jpg

"Peacekeeping Mission"

200.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Pretty stark reminder with Ukraine Ambassador showing same thing with Georgia/Ukraine and asking who is next?

Fair criticism. Need to klamp down on that dirty money.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
www.theguardian.com

Luhansk and Donetsk regions recognised as independent states by Russia – as it happened

Russian president has recognised Ukraine’s Luhansk and Donetsk regions as independent states: Zelenskiy says ‘we are not afraid’. Follow the latest updates

The selloff on Asian stock markets has deepened – and the rush to safe havens has accelearted – in the past hour so as investors become more and more jittery about the Ukraine crisis.
The Nikkei is now off 2.3%, the ASX in Sydney has slumped 1.6%, and the Kospi in Seoul has retreated 1.75%. Bitcoin is down 6% at $36,633.

Markets are also down heavily in China but the situation there has been complicated after tech stocks were hammered in the wake of news that state-owned firms and banks have been to told to start a fresh round of checks on their financial exposure and other links to Ant Group, which is owned by Jack Ma's Alibaba.

The Hang Seng has been worst hit, down 3.2%, while Shanghai is off 1.25%.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Never mind the fact that Hannity is the one talking sense here (and that's quite the feat)... What does anyone have to gain by licking Putin's boots? I just don't understand.
I've heard some theories about kompromat but I think the actual explanation is that they want the Russian social media bot nets to boost them to improve their political chances.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They just couldn't fucking help themselves.

CLEARLY Ukraine would've been better off facing Russian airforce and superior tanks on their own with modified AKs and Cold-War era uniforms.

In 2014 when Russia started the Donbas insurrections, the Ukrainian Diaspora had to equip a Ukrainian Army from scratch, raiding military surplus stores for body armor, uniforms, warm underclothes, boots, sleeping bags, not to mention all the actual military gadgets that the West was dragging their feet on selling.

Apr 25, 2020

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want to get Putin to back off rather than laugh in your face, you had best come at him with something better than one Empire telling another Empire they aren't allowed to be one. This is an incredibly tense situation. Every word in the diplomatic gamesmanship must be very carefully chosen.
That message wasn't for Putin.

They mean old times as in kings and fiefdoms.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
- Putin puts a whole ass army on the borders of Ukraine for months

- This army openly attacks Ukraine with artillery strikes

- Putin openly declares that Ukraine is not a country

- Putin declares an entire section of Ukraine does not actually belong to Ukraine

- Russia moves it's forces onto Ukraine soil

- Putin threatens bloodshed if Ukraine tries to stop them

- Putin goes on a rambling hour long tirade about how Russia deserves to have it's territories back

Yet we have people STILL bringing up the US and NATO in a bad light as if they are to blame or just so they can get their petty shots in. Meanwhile a whole country is on the brink of major war due to the sole action of Putin and his corrupt ass government. A war that the US and NATO have fought tooth and nail to prevent for months. A war that NATO and it's members have tried to prepare Ukraine for with near nonstop shipments of weapons and supplies.

I literally don't know what to fucking say anymore. This shit is so obviously stupid at this point.

You want to get Putin to back off rather than laugh in your face, you had best come at him with something better than one Empire telling another Empire they aren't allowed to be one. This is an incredibly tense situation. Every word in the diplomatic gamesmanship must be very carefully chosen.
Just.

Stop.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
They just couldn't fucking help themselves.

The second point is a response to the first. If there were no US-NATO actions, there's not a coalition large enough to even act like a roadblock. I get zoomers are all against the US military industrial complex, but they often forget that much of this complex was first started post-World War II to curb precisely nations like Russia doing shit like this. The modern day NATO is really a guard against a revival of the Soviet Union in many global contexts. If not NATO, then who? In this stage, at the very least the war machine has an option that seems to be advisable to the alternative of literally nothing, even if Russia really doesn't care at the moment.

Apr 25, 2020

- Putin declares an entire section of Ukraine does not actually belong to Ukraine

- Putin goes on a rambling hour long tirade about how Russia deserves to have it's territories back

Yet we have people STILL bringing up the US and NATO in a bad light as if they are to blame or just so they can get their petty shots in. Meanwhile a whole country is on the brink of major war due to the sole action of Putin and his corrupt ass government. A war that the US and NATO have fought tooth and nail to prevent for months. A war that NATO and it's members have tried to prepare Ukraine for with near nonstop shipments of weapons and supplies.

I literally don't know what to fucking say anymore. This shit is so obviously stupid at this point.

Just.

Stop.

If you're calling Noam Chomsky stupid then I don't know what to say to you.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

As a Finn, living in a country on the western border of Russia, I choose NATO security guarantees as the way "to get Putin to back off".

Apr 25, 2020
As a Finn living in a country on the western border of Russia, I choose NATO security guarantees as the way "to get Putin to back off".

I tend to forget that the U.S is a part of NATO, and that's of course on me, but I've always thought of NATO as more an alliance of the majority of European Nations rather than an all encompassing North Atlantic Alliance as the label says. I mean 27 European Nations and 2 North American nations, you do the math.

Regardless, Europe has every right to defend itself from Russian aggression in any way it sees fit and that includes Ukraine whether they are a NATO member or not (and for my part after all this bullshit they should be. Putin has made his own bed on that front). I just find the idea of the U.S stepping in and lecturing literally anyone else on Imperialism pretty eye rolling.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to forget that the U.S is a part of NATO, and that's of course on me, but I've always thought of NATO as more an alliance of the majority of European Nations rather than an all encompassing North Atlantic Alliance as the label says. I mean 27 European Nations and 2 North American nations, you do the math.

Regardless, Europe has every right to defend itself from Russian aggression in any way it sees fit and that includes Ukraine whether they are a NATO member or not (and for my part after all this bullshit they should be. Putin has made his own bed on that front). I just find the idea of the U.S stepping in and lecturing literally anyone else on Imperialism pretty eye rolling.
USA has fucking nothing to do with this

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Just.

Stop.
yes.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Kinda a stupid question but why didn't Ukraine join un
Ukraine is a founding member of the UN.

If you mean NATO: Ukraine declared its neutrality in its constitution. In 1994 Ukraine gave up world's third largest nuclear arsenal for guarantees of sovereignty and territorial integrity from the UK, USA, and Russia.

As such, Ukraine has neglected its security for almost 25 years. In the winter 2013-2014 when Ukraine had a revolution that declared broad, non-specific intentons to move closer to the West, Russia annexed the Crimean Peninsula and started armed insurrection in Donbas. At that point, joining NATO became far more difficult; in addition, there hasn't been any significant political will in the West to confront Russia over this issue.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
You really think after today's speech from Putin, that he cares about the Russian economy, or even his own people? Is really the best we can hope, a Libya situation like with Gaddafi? After we saw how brutally that all "ended". I don't even think that's possible, you saw the Russian cabinet members complete cowering in fear.

No, he clearly doesn't, but even Putin would start to feel the effects of more or less being strangled or even cut off from the world market. Will he ever starve and suffer depradation, no. But such an event will have a knock-on effect up and down the country. The oligarchs who have so much money in the European markets would kill his political support at home likely before it got to the stage where people are really starting to feel the pinch. He doesn't care about the people but he has to care about the economy because it's absolutely going to end him if he lets it collapse. No world leader, no matter how autocratic, survives the destruction of the economy at their hands.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Congressman Slotkin from Michigan with good thoughts (I like when politicians know what they are talking about when inserting themselves in that conversation )

Status
Not open for further replies.