• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Not exactly sure where the 1913 demarcation line with the german empire was but sounds about right
He isn't going to roll tanks into NATO or Finland, but I can see him trying to annex Belorus (mostly there), parts or all of Ukraine and then work on Kazakhstan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, etc... Hopefully though he is stopped now with Ukraine (somehow sanctions work..).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good! Seeing as the West has no biological weapons (seeing as they're banned, I'm sure we don't have any), it clearly can't be held responsible if the Ukrainians get their hands on some and use them, right?
I mean I doubt anyone in the west has biological weapons (not chemical but specifically biological) not for any moral reasons but because while powerful they're ludicrously stupid and dangerous weapons that are pretty much guaranteed to bite the user in the ass because disease doesn't have borders and the nature of a biological weapon, be it virus or bacterial in nature, makes them impossible to control perfectly because they mutate (and can induce mutations in other bacterias and viruses via horizontal gene transfer). It's impossible to oversee a weaponized disease to ensure your countermeasures remain relevant and so it's inevitably cross back into your own territory and kill your own people (and quite possibly you)

GeoMack

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..If it really comes down to logic like that, then I have lost all faith in humanity.

literal LACK OF EMPATHY for other human beings. Also, if their nation, if their identity doesn't matter - why the HELL does yours? WHY? People sitting comfortably in parts of the world where their security is all-but guaranteed going "well I certainly won't be inconvenienced".

Sorry, just venting, not directed at you...I'm just so upset at the situation and how some folks are just like "well...dealwithit".

Not sure he meant it that way.

For sanctions on Russia...?

No the BS claim that the US stole Afghanistan's money after the government collapsed.

I don't want to derail, so take it here if you want to continue.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
I dont care if sanctions mean I have to burn my fucking furniture to keep my family warm, I want them to be severe and support any discomfort if thats what it takes for them to be effective.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
Like what would be the actual purpose of bio weapons besides killing a whole lot of people in uncontrolable fashion. Even nukes are not so cruel.
If you want to suggest agression, aim it at who earns it, in this case fucking Putin and his enablers.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He isn't going to roll tanks into NATO or Finland, but I can see him trying to annex Belorus (mostly there), parts or all of Ukraine and then work on Kazakhstan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, etc... Hopefully though he is stopped now with Ukraine (somehow sanctions work..).
if he succeeds with Ukraine, you will very likely see a fast push into Moldova and Georgia. Both countries have their own "separatists" regions that can quickly be used to overwhelm the rest.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Not saying he will invade any NATO country. Rather was pointing to the fact that his deranged speech today showed far more affection to the russian empire while being pretty negative about USSR, especially the Lenin era.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
How about we ignore the dumbass troll and stay on topic?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like what would be the actual purpose of bio weapons besides killing a whole lot of people in uncontrolable fashion. Even nukes are not so cruel.
If you want to suggest agression, aim it at who earns it, in this case fucking Putin and his enablers.
i mean there isn't any. Aside from certain terrorist organizations with very specific ideologies bio weapons are functionally useless as an effective weapon because they're impossible to control and thus inevitably an effective bio weapon kills you just as surely as your target

Edit: I apologize to the mods, saw B-dubs last post after I just posted this

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
i agree, not sure why the administration is trying to playing cute with 'it's not technically an invasion yet because they already invaded'. Biden needs to be firm with his messaging. The West will be looking at the US for its leadership.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Putin is almost 70….he thinks the fall of the Soviet Union was the biggest tragedy of the 20th century. He's ex KGB. If Kiev falls im expecting Belarus to be annexed shortly after that.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Not saying he will invade any NATO country. Rather was pointing to the fact that his deranged speech today showed far more affection to the russian empire while being pretty negative about USSR, especially the Lenin era.
Yeah, that's a good point and somewhat unexpected. Didn't he lament that dissolution of Soviet Union was greatest tragedy of 20th century or something to that order?

if he succeeds with Ukraine, you will very likely see a fast push into Moldova and Georgia. Both countries have their own "separatists" regions that can quickly be used to overwhelm the rest.

Parts of Georgia maybe, but does he really want to battle insurgents in the mountains in Georgia? That said, who the hell knows, and he does have an excuse to go there. And for Kazakhstan, Russian troops are already there to support the local dictator.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

What does one define as "success"?

Russia is a poor country. Prolonged occupations of all of those countries would be a logistical nightmare.

Plus, the promise to help arm and fund insurgencies from the US would make that a really bad idea. Ukraine is a huge country it might be hard enough to capture and keep under Russian control for any prolonged period.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Putin is almost 70….he thinks the fall of the Soviet Union was the biggest tragedy of the 20th century. He's ex KGB. If Kiev falls im expecting Belarus to be annexed shortly after that.

Annexed? Lukashenko will simply sell out the country and give it to Putin in exchange for personal security and wealth.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022

I suspect at some point Lukashenko will cause even more civil unrest (upcoming vote on constitutional amendment for example), requesting Russian peacekeeping forces.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
Well after thinking about it since the last thread, I think this is a on-going test on the capability of capitalism to maintain world peace. If Putin keeps pushing his maniacal agenda, we are going to reach a point where it doesn't matter if we in Germany or our industry can deal without Russian gas or not, we are just gonna have to do it, no matter the economical consequences.

In a way it reminds me of my history lessons, and how our economies worked during the great wars and even the cold war. Of course there was economical interests behind opposing Hitler, but (and I might be naive to think that) I'd think the ideological point was stronger than all of it.

I hope that we reach a conclusion that means the Ukrainians get to live to see peace again.

Oct 27, 2017
What does one define as "success"?

Russia is a poor country. Prolonged occupations of all of those countries would be a logistical nightmare.

Plus, the promise to help arm and fund insurgencies from the US would make that a really bad idea. Ukraine is a huge country it might be hard enough to capture and keep under Russian control for any prolonged period.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure California and Texas have larger economies than Russia. Maybe New York state as well.

Russia doesn't have alot of money to burn

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Biden said CLEARLY even one Russian boot entered Ukraine, and the sanctions would start. Are we now just going "well actually…we meant anything not already claimed by Russia!"

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure California and Texas have larger economies than Russia. Maybe New York state as well.

Russia doesn't have alot of money to burn

Right. Italy and Russia have the same GDP.

And it's not as if these countries have a lot of inherent economic value... Unless there is some major export that Ukraine is responsible for that I'm unaware of.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Zelenskiy needs to GTFO to Warsaw already.

Ukraine will not be able to resist the initial assault - this campaign will only start costing a lot for Russia after Kiev has fallen when the guerrilla fighting starts. He can act as an exiled leader of the resistance from there, assuming Poland doesn't hand him over to the Russians.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
i agree, not sure why the administration is trying to playing cute with 'it's not technically an invasion yet because they already invaded'. Biden needs to be firm with his messaging. The West will be looking at the US for its leadership.

I really don't know what's going on with Biden's foreign policy stances. It's like he's trying to avoid any kind of action at all unless forced into it. I remember Biden saying during the election that he was going to be much tougher on Russia, but so far I'm not seeing it.

What I do know is that how the west handles Ukraine is going to have a domino effect 5-10 years down the road. If they kick the football because they don't want to take on the risk, it's going to be great for Putin and much worse for everyone else.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I don't understand Putin. I really don't get how restoring USSR benefits russia if no rich country in Europe or USA will trade with them? Are most Russians excited about invading Ukraine?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I really don't know what's going on with Biden's foreign policy stances. It's like he's trying to avoid any kind of action at all unless forced into it. I remember Biden saying during the election that he was going to be much tougher on Russia, but so far I'm not seeing it.

I get that he is trying to portray that we are leaving a diplomatic off ramp for Russia. But eventually you need to just rip the band aid off and get on with it

Oct 28, 2017
Ukraine is in a pretty shitty place strategically here. This is clearly a break of treaties and basically a declaration of war. Logic would dictate that Ukraine is forced to attack now, but Russia will undoubtedly use any attack as an excuse to invade the whole country.

Status
Not open for further replies.