• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Who the fuck is that?" you ask.

02.jpg

This man. The captain of the Lightmaker, aka "Corvette Five," a Sphyrna-class corvette (Hammerhead cruiser). AKA the ship that did this:

Imagine you're this guy. You have just jumped headfirst into a battle for the fate of the galaxy, with no warning, planning or preparation. You receive word from Admiral Raddus that there is exactly one way to take down the shield gate to receive the plans for the Death Star. Do you hesitate? No. Is there fear in your heart? Fuck no. Did you make sure to evacuate all non-essential personnel via escape pods, and dedicate your some of your final words to making sure that your remaining crew will take their last act on their feet? Absolutely.

Sure, Luke and Lando destroyed Death Stars. Who hasn't? But this guy, Kado Oquoné, pulled off the sickest space maneuver in Star Wars History. In doing so, he set the stage for all that came after. If Holdo is in the starship captain hall of fame, this guy founded it.

May his giant oversized helmet and chinstrap be an inspiration to us all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Realtalk, I just watched the last third of Rogue One again, and the Battle of Scarif is a top-3 Star Wars sequence for me. It might even be my favorite. And even as a fanboy who's seen the last 8 movies on opening night (for better and worse), the Hammerhead thing might be my single favorite moment in any of them. I don't know why. It doesn't feature any important characters, and is just some CGI running into some other CGI. And there's no trope more played out than the 'valiant sacrifice'. But I grew up loving the ships of Star Wars via the movies, toys, lego and books, and something about this just clicked hard.

Rogue One is good. Go ahead and boot it up to 1:27:45 and just chill on Scarif for 40 minutes. Treat yourself. And raise a glass to Kado Oquoné.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yeah, Rogue One is easily the best of the new Star Wars films in my opinion. And that final space battle sequence just hits all the right notes. I think it tops out Jedi's.

There's some wonky stuff with Saw and Bodhi earlier on but once it gets going, it's awesome.

I'm very interested in the Cassian TV series for this reason. And I find the concept of former Seperatists joining the Alliance an interesting premise.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Rogue One is a better new kind of Star Wars than TLJ, Solo is a better old take on Star Wars than TFA

cheers, kaqodo'neaoe

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Too much rogue one praise in here, it's a terrible star wars film and an ok sci-fi action fantasy film

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Rogue One's final battle scene was coherent, action packed and fun to watch. Something that has been missed for the most part on the Disney-era SW films.

Remind me what happened to Gareth Edwards - is he still attached to SW?

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One's final battle scene was coherent, action packed and fun to watch. Something that has been missed for the most part on the Disney-era SW films.

Remind me what happened to Gareth Edwards - is he still attached to SW?

It doesn't sound like it. From most accounts, the stuff he put together for Rogue One needed a LOT of work and Tony Gilroy came in and salvaged that movie. Gareth hasn't made a movie since 2016 though in February he was announced as working with New Regency on an original sci-fi film this year.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
This was cool when watching the movie, but I now like it less after watching this video showing the full event unbroken by other scenes lmao. The empire's battle formation strategy suuuucks, if they let something like this happen to them.
Give spaceships thrusters on the sides (and the front), dang it!

I do like the whole battle overall though.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How the heck did that tiny ship push a star destroyer and how did it get that close without being blasted to smithereens

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Second best Disney Star Wars film behind TLJ. It's real good.

Disney needs to make more side story films in the vein of Rogue One. It was stupid to put them all on hold because of Solo.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a scene where a star destroyer gets rocked by ion torpedoes (disabling much of it) and I don't know if it's this one or not

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's the second best Disney Star Wars film behind TLJ. The Disney project was worth it for those two films and The Mandalorian.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb trivia: before posting this thread I googled the actor to make sure he wasn't a trump supporter 👍