• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
People here dissing the greats that actually make the industry go forward for a walking simulator with gore... Yeah, I'm out.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Sakaguchi yeah sure, in terms of linear story driven games with big production values, Druckmann is probably better.

Miyamoto and Kojima hell no. They both championed gameplay innovations that change the way we play and experience games. I don't think Druckmann is quite at that level. The main thing I think Druckmann championed very well that's pretty novel in terms of games is moments of downtime and playable denouements. Neither are technically his innovations since there were some predecessors and I and others have published scientific articles on this before Uncharted 4 and Left Behind, though I consider it very likely Druckmann never read those, and it's also one thing to hypothesize and prototype it and another to incorporate it into AAAA games, so I'm fine with him owning it.

Last edited:

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
With 7 threads on the front page about TLOU currently, it was only a matter of time before a take like this came to light. TLOU stans are tripping.

lcd

Jan 15, 2020
My most anticipated game is whatver this gentleman is doing next. I don't even have to see it or know what it is.

You kind of know what it is though, right? It's going to be a linear experience designed to deliver an enjoyable and relatively bombastic story, right? I mean, what are you expecting him to make? Pikmin?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
bdd.jpg

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Man I don't think I've seen a single positive thing in this thread. People putting a single person on a diety-level status. People dismissing ND as cutscene only games. People dismissing the long, impressive track records of other devs. People saying video games shouldn't be about writing/stories.

Get y'all heads out of your asses.
Of course,that's how comparison threads work.
I said it the other day,nothing on this site can be discussed based on it's own merits,everything has to be compared to everything else.....which results in no discussion at all,just people going to bat for their favorite.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto's legacy isn't just the games he created directed, it's the influence those games have had ever since. First with SMB and TLOZ, later with OOT and SM64. No games set more blueprints and you still see their influence today.

Kojima basically brought cinematic storytelling into gaming on a huge scale with MGS. To top it off, all of his games have very well thoughtout gameplay systems and level design.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saying miyamoto is better is not a controversial statement. Heck the op himself uses him as a point of comparison. Come on lol.

Blame the OP for the premise.

But why the comparison except out of defensiveness? OP never said Druckmann was better or the best. All he said was he deserved to be considered among them.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Generally when you make arguably a game of the generation for two generations running then you would be mentioned amongst the greats but as this thread is going to show that is not the case.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The gane is fantastic indeed and he's a top tier. But the gameplay? Eeeeh. Nothing special there.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Probably should ask again in 10 years

Embarrassing post my guy. You don't have to like his games but reducing someone's career after directing three highly acclaimed and extremely successful games to just liking bleak movies is some ridiculously reductionist hyperbolic bullshit. You're no better than anyone trying to disparage Miyamoto.

(also, there's nothing bleak about... any of the Uncharted games? They're all light hearted Indiana Jones style adventures. Which makes me wonder how much of his output you've actually bothered to play before talking shit)
You took my post far more seriously than I did in following a common meme format.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
As far as story telling, player agency, and feeling the weight of your actions in video games goes I 100% back this up. Niel absolutely has pushed the medium forward in these regards.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
But why the comparison except out of defensiveness? OP never said Druckmann was better or the best. All he said was he deserved to be considered among them.
Can't you see why folks would push back tho? I don't think anyone is saying Druckman is not a talented director, but track record takes time. I get that it also early so there's a lot of enthusiasm, but others mediums would not crown someone so early amongst the most influential.

Miyamoto and Kojima are titans for good reason.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now explain me how's Tomb Raider aping Uncharted without using gameplay and story elements that were already around before UC1.
A gun using archeologist goes to exotic location, have to compete for treasure with large organization who have way more numbers and guns, location is old and fragile, shit breaks constantly. I'm sure you're aware that at this time, everything has been done already, and few are truly original these days. Uncharted due to the sum of its parts managed to carve out a niche for itself in the gaming zeitgeist. When you look at new Tomb Raider and the sum of it's parts, it reminds you of Uncharted.

Oct 28, 2017
These are works of art. I'm sure tlou is good, but I've played most of ND games and they're nothing compared to the Japanese giants of game development.

latest

latest

Ffxboxart.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't say Naughty Dog invented shit. I said they popularized it for third person shooters. Also if a game having lots of long cutscenes was enough to be cineamatic, Bayonetta, Vanquish and plenty other mechanics driven games would be cinematic too

I don't think the original was particularly innovative or even particularly influential, there are more cinematic 3rd person shooters that you can see were inspired by Gears than by Uncharted. Uncharted itself being compared to Gears in many reviews at the time . I think as the series has gone on and how Naughty Dog developed in terms of the games it produced, they really have solidified the expectation of what a cinematic whatever person game should be, but I don't think that happened as early as the first game.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Same level as Kojima and Sakaguchi? Maaaaybe, but it's a stretch. But none of those people, and especially Druckman are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Miyamoto. Keep him out of the discussion with the others. He's never had anything close to a misfire or even a game that's split the opinion of reviewers in any way. The others have. Especially Druckman. Just no. Miyamoto is in a class to himself way way waaaaay above the others.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Who would win:

A legendary game designer that spent decades using his creative mind to further video games in a multitude of ways, and helping to successfully build a former playing card company into one of the biggest video game developers in the world through games of a variety of styles and genres loaded with popular characters that have become cultural icons. A man that, now in the twilight of his career, is focused on the growth of the next generation of game designers.

Or one guy that really likes bleak movies.

Is this a Nintendo vs. Playstation thread?

Or is this a thread saying Neil should be mentioned in the same breath because he's a luminary that's forwarded a medium?

Being a fanboy is really a very bleak thing.. I think you'd really dislike Drucky's games because it feels like it's an attack on your personality.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
These are works of art. I'm sure tlou is good, but I've played most of ND games and they're nothing compared to the Japanese giants of game development.
Even if we look at western devs, he's got a long way before he catches up to the likes of Will Wright and Warren Spector

He's probably not even on the level of Lord British yet.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Neil Druckmann made Minecraft and BOTW?
Oh no you're confused I said games 'of the generation'. Also the whole reason I had the word 'arguably' was because there is no true answer. But you are delusional if you don't think TLOU 1 and 2 (and even U4 is up there in the conversation). Didn't think this needed explaining but apparently it does.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
its funny that you brought up fortnite instead of Pubg.

i wouldnt call any of those games revolutionary. they are great games, but you cant name the directors of these games. can you?

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.....not revolutionary?

Pretty much all CODs after are still considered derivatives of the formula Jason West and Vince Zampella put in motion.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
A gun using archeologist goes to exotic location, have to compete for treasure with large organization who have way more numbers and guns, location is old and fragile, shit breaks constantly.

This is literally Tomb Raider (1996) tho

I'm sure you're aware that at this time, everything has been done already, and few are truly original these days. Uncharted due to the sum of its parts managed to carve out a niche for itself in the gaming zeitgeist. When you look at new Tomb Raider and the sum of it's parts, it reminds you of Uncharted.

So, you have nothing then. Okay.

ShivereZ

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Mauritius
I think Neil Druckmann certainly deserves praise for his work but it is really hard to compare him with the other aforementioned names in the op. Style of games they made are quite different... That said, even Kojima was full of praise for ND.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I've gotten more entertainment out of this shithouse thread than last of us 2. At least this thread has pacing.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the original was particularly innovative or even particularly influential, there are more cinematic 3rd person shooters that you can see were inspired by Gears than by Uncharted. Uncharted itself being compared to Gears in many reviews at the time . I think as the series has gone on and how Naughty Dog developed in terms of the games it produced, they really have solidified the expectation of what a cinematic whatever person game should be, but I don't think that happened as early as the first game.
I'd agree. Maybe not the first game but maybe UC2. Could you expand on the games inspired by Gears besides UC1? Do you mean AAA or no because I remember some games that were blatant Gears clones but they weren't big budget at all

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Miyamoto is like Jordan x Kobe x Lebron x 1000 (impossible to find an equal), Kojima is like Ben Simmons, Sakaguchi is like Devon Booker, Druckman is like Brian Scalabrine.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Miyamoto=hack, Sakaguchi=hack, Kojima=hack, Drunkmann= mega hack

gamedevs aint worth SHIT

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
A gun using archeologist goes to exotic location, have to compete for treasure with large organization who have way more numbers and guns, location is old and fragile, shit breaks constantly. I'm sure you're aware that at this time, everything has been done already, and few are truly original these days. Uncharted due to the sum of its parts managed to carve out a niche for itself in the gaming zeitgeist. When you look at new Tomb Raider and the sum of it's parts, it reminds you of Uncharted.
The way you describe it also sounds exactly like the old tomb raider games which were released far before uncharted

Oct 28, 2017
Western devs are actually pretty much like your typical Hollywood summer blockbuster. They're flashy but lack substance. God of war 2018 was actually pretty great though. So I'll give them a point for that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Druckmann has made some good games, but also the games Naughty Dog do only really embody the popular gameplay ideas of the generation they exist in. I don't actually think ND/Druckmann have made a game that has broken new ground or could be looked back upon as a flashpoint in the gaming pantheon.

TLOU/UC are all good games, but they're good third person action games that featured well written characters.

Taking Miyamoto for example, I don't think anything ND has done will have the legacy or the impact of say...Ocarina of Time or even Super Mario Galaxy. They are groundbreaking game-changing video games.

ND/Druckers take the current trends and mould them into something distinctly their own. They are the quintessential AAA developer. I really don't think you can put Druckman in the same pantheon of these developers until he does something that feels distinctly "fresh"

I don't agree with this at all. UC2 basically set the template for cinematic games for the next few decades, especially in terms of the use of interactive major set pieces. UC2 had these huge big budget playable set pieces that would have historically been relegated to cutscenes, and I'd never experienced anything like it in the decades of games I'd played prior.

Stuff like this.

DbRK.gif

I think TLOU also pushed the genre forward in terms of narrative and characterisation. The only other AAA games I've played that really compare, are Red Dead Redemption 2 (which released in 2018) and The Last of Us Part II, maybe Bioshock as well but in a different way.

On that point, I think Part II pushes the genre forward again in narrative terms. I certainly have never played anything else like it, nor anything with as nuanced, realistic, hard hitting, well realised, branching, unusually structured and emotionally impactful narrative and characters.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
When you look at what Naughty Dog has sought to achieve over their last several games, with increasing success each time out, they deserve a lot of credit. Because they make story-driven third-person action-adventures, it tends to get overlooked, but the way they're able to marry strong game design with realism is second-to-none, and they should be commended for that. Druckmann (and Bruce Straley, for that matter) should certainly be recognized among the great game designers of our time.

Jul 3, 2019
User banned (one week): trolling, inflammatory language, recently history of similar infraction
The Neil dick sucking will continue!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Western devs are actually pretty much like your typical Hollywood summer blockbuster. They're flashy but lack substance. God of war 2018 was actually pretty great though. So I'll give them a point for that.

Who is Neil Druckman's movie director equivalent?
Zack Snyder?

Who is Miyamoto's?
Spielberg?

Oct 25, 2017
Look, there's only one person who I put on the level of Miyamoto, and that's Yuji Naka.

Neil Druckmann damned sure ain't on the level of Miyamoto. Call me when that dude directs a game with transcendent gameplay.