• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Probably should ask again in 10 years

Who would win:

A legendary game designer that spent decades using his creative mind to further video games in a multitude of ways, and helping to successfully build a former playing card company into one of the biggest video game developers in the world through games of a variety of styles and genres loaded with popular characters that have become cultural icons. A man that, now in the twilight of his career, is focused on the growth of the next generation of game designers.

Or one guy that really likes bleak movies.

Embarrassing post my guy. You don't have to like his games but reducing someone's career after directing three highly acclaimed and extremely successful games to just liking bleak movies is some ridiculously reductionist hyperbolic bullshit. You're no better than anyone trying to disparage Miyamoto.

(also, there's nothing bleak about... any of the Uncharted games? They're all light hearted Indiana Jones style adventures. Which makes me wonder how much of his output you've actually bothered to play before talking shit)

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The guy who created Mario and Zelda probably needs his own tier on any list like this. That only seems right.

The 'revolutionary' games thing being touted I think does apply for TLOU though. It felt like something pretty new 7 years ago and has been a huge inspiration for this entire generation. I think time will only prove that further.

For sure.

Even if not for the gameplay, TLOU is one of few games that put the time and effort to make sure the relationships and characters weren't horribly over the top "gamey". Even if the gameplay hasn't been revolutionary, I think it's still one of the better examples of story telling and acting for a video game and that's a big deal in the face of how much simpler and easier digestible "playing hero" titles there are out there.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This thread gives you an excuse to shit all over any game or game developer you want. Go to town people.

Oct 28, 2017
Saying Druckmann deserves to be listed among them when the game has barely been out for a month yet is beyond impatient. Years from now, far removed from the sphere of hype that will likely last around the game for the rest of 2020, we'll be able to see if Druckmann has the chops to be in the same category as those other guys.

I agree with this. I honestly think Druckmann is the best at what he does, but his games and his (potential) legacy needs to stand the test of time. Lets see where we are in ten years time.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Neil isn't there yet, but he is definitely on his way.

Miyazaki is the more recent name that I believe is already there despite being relatively "new".

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Again, I don't consider GOW cinematic, I also don't think GOW fans would consider it cinematic. If GOW was influential, it was because of the cover system and the everything was gray/brown color scheme

You might not consider it, but you would be wrong.
Gears has 45 minutes of cinematics.
Here it is all edited together
youtu.be

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition The Movie (All Cutscenes)

With Gears of War 4 on the horizon, it's time to take a look back at how the story started.----------------------------------Follow IGN for more!-----------...

What's "cinematic", Lots of long cutscenes with black bars?

Resident Evil 4? 2004
Fahrenheit?
Metal Gear 1, 2 and 3? 1998,2002,2004
GTA 3, SA, VC? All before 2004

Naughty Did not invent long cinematic heavy games.
Kojima was doing it when Naughty Dog was making Crash Bandicoot games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What has this Miyamoto guy done for me lately? Lmao come on. I swear sports fans are so much better at discussing legacies and putting the greats in proper context.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I mean no offense, but I literally predicted that reply word for word. It's the go to response whenever you point out Tomb Raiider's currently aping Uncharted. Naughty Dog are no strangers to being inspired by films. Uncharted has always been way more Indiana Jones than Tomb Raider, like How Tlou takes some inspiration from the Road

Right, so Tomb Raider going for the standard TPS modern gameplay and being more story driven while still having the same themes of archeology it did in the 90s is aping Uncharted, but when Uncharted makes a game about finding relics and literally raiding tombs it suddenly has no relation to what Tomb Raider has been doing for almost 30 years? I see...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He absolutely does. One of the best designers out there.

Jak 3 (86) - gameplay programmer
UC1 (88) - game design, co-writer
UC2 (96) - co-lead game designer, co-writer
TLOU (95) - creative director, sole writer
UC4 (93) - creative director, co-writer
TLOU2 (94) - creative director, co-writer

That is an incredible portfolio of some of the best games ever made. Hell, 4 of his games are in my top 20 of all time.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Gears has 45 minutes of cinematics.
Here it is all edited together
youtu.be

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition The Movie (All Cutscenes)

With Gears of War 4 on the horizon, it's time to take a look back at how the story started.----------------------------------Follow IGN for more!-----------...

What's cinematic? Lots of long cutscenes with black bars??

Resident Evil 4?
Fahrenheit?
Metal Gear 1, 2 and 3?
GTA?

Naughty Did not invent long cinematic heavy games.
I didn't say Naughty Dog invented shit. I said they popularized it for third person shooters. Also if a game having lots of long cutscenes was enough to be cineamatic, Bayonetta, Vanquish and plenty other mechanics driven games would be cinematic too

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think Neil is a great game director, who can write dialogue that just feels natural and not gamey at all, and who can create endearing stories from simple concepts.

But it's the devs at ND who deserve the credit for the game-related stuff. TLOU2 was a marked improvement over the first gameplay wise, and I'm sure having the Lost Legacy guys at the helm worked. The influence of that game on Part II's level design is obvious.

The truth is we don't know what part Neil had on the gameplay at all, because every single interview with him is about the story and themes. And he did a great job with that! But thinking he's the sole responsible for the game doesn't feel right.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I really don't understand why people have JRR Tolkien on such a high pedestal, he hasn't done anything in years."
No its more like George r.r Martin is right up there with Tolkien.

Unlike many in this thread, I'm not diminishing Kojima or myamotos achivements. Look at my avatar.

I'm saying Neils achievements in the last 11 years has put him up there with these two greats.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He absolutely does. One of the best designers out there.

Jak 3 (86) - gameplay programmer
UC1 (88) - game design, co-writer
UC2 (96) - co-lead game designer, co-writer
TLOU (95) - creative director, sole writer
UC4 (93) - creative director, co-writer
TLOU2 (94) - creative director, co-writer

That is an incredible portfolio of some of the best games ever made.

It would be a long post:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying Neils achievements in the last 11 years has put him up there with these two greats.
For how much I love ND and their game: i never saw them as innovators in the industry.

They made amazingly packaged games, but no game of theirs has ever made me think "wow, I never expirience something like this before".

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 has really fantastic gameplay, but I think it's his first game where all the systems and the pacing come together to form a truly excellent plaging experience (Uncharted 2 came close but it had some gameplay issues). He needs to make a few more games that play as excellently as TLOU2 before being in this conversation imo.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so Tomb Raider going for the standard TPS modern gameplay and being more story driven while still having the same themes of archeology it did in the 90s is aping Uncharted, but when Uncharted makes a game about finding relics and literally raiding tombs it suddenly has no relation to what Tomb Raider has been doing for almost 30 years? I see...
Does Indiana Jones NOT find relics? What tombs does Drake raid besides that Uncharted 2 one? Since when has original Tomb Raider ever been associated with pulp adventure? Indiana Jones is a wise cracking gunslinger archeaologist who gets the ladies and likes to swing from ropes. Nathan Drake is a wise cracking gunslinger archeaologist who gets the ladies and(as of UC4) likes to swing from ropes.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
The extreme views about this game are unlike any other. It's a good 8-9/10 yet people are losing their minds.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I don't consider GOW cinematic, I also don't think GOW fans would consider it cinematic. If GOW was influential, it was because of the cover system and the everything was gray/brown color scheme
Yes we consider Gears1 to be cinematic. And that brown and grey adds to it. When developers are hit with hardware or software limitations they can compensate while thinking outside the box just like in real films. The brown and grey played extremely well with the plot, setting, visuals, all the way to the sound design. I wouldn't trade that brown and grey for anything. That atmosphere is probably some of the best Xbox 360 had to offer.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Nah, Druckmann is one of the best "new" game directors, but still far from the legendary ones. And ROFL at the Kojima hate. Funny thing when im playing TLOU2, alot of the gameplay battles it always remembers me MGS games mechanics , that speaks volumes of Kojima legacy and how he influenced alot of games, TLOU2 included.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This fanboyism has you hyperboling the fuck out. Let some time pass and let Druckmann make some revolutionay and influential games. Hes not even in the same league and have some respect for the legends. This topic is embarrasing.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would not go that far, but there is a clear GOTY template—big budget narrative based games dominate.
And using the GOTY awards doesn't even make sense. Miyamoto has less impact on Nintendo games nowadays. GOTY's are being given out by like everyone it seems. How many publications were giving out GOTY awards in the 80's and 90's?

Miyamoto is a legend. Nobody gives a damn how many GOTY awards his games won 20 years ago. Super Mario 64 speaks for itself for what it did for the entire industry.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Does Indiana Jones NOT find relics? What tombs does Drake raid besides that Uncharted 2 one? Since when has original Tomb Raider ever been associated with pulp adventure? Indiana Jones is a wise cracking gunslinger archeaologist who gets the ladies and likes to swing from ropes. Nathan Drake is a wise cracking gunslinger archeaologist who gets the ladies and(as of UC4) likes to swing from ropes.

Okay, now explain me how's Tomb Raider aping Uncharted without mentioning any gameplay and story elements that were already around before UC1.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You were agreeing with OP, OP mentions it.

OP doesn't say Druckmann is the best, just one of the best, alongside several others. Your response is weirdly defensive. As if you felt compelled to highlight Miyamoto's achievements for no apparent reason other than to randomly prove Miyamoto is still better. It's a bit childish really.

ZoomyRamen

May 15, 2020
Druckmann has made some good games, but also the games Naughty Dog do only really embody the popular gameplay ideas of the generation they exist in. I don't actually think ND/Druckmann have made a game that has broken new ground or could be looked back upon as a flashpoint in the gaming pantheon.

TLOU/UC are all good games, but they're good third person action games that featured well written characters.

Taking Miyamoto for example, I don't think anything ND has done will have the legacy or the impact of say...Ocarina of Time or even Super Mario Galaxy. They are groundbreaking game-changing video games.

ND/Druckers take the current trends and mould them into something distinctly their own. They are the quintessential AAA developer. I really don't think you can put Druckman in the same pantheon of these developers until he does something that feels distinctly "fresh"

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OP doesn't say Druckmann is the best, just one of the best, alongside several others. Your response is weirdly defensive. As if you felt compelled to highlight Miyamoto's achievements for no apparent reason other than to randomly prove Miyamoto is still better. It's a bit childish really.
Saying miyamoto is better is not a controversial statement. Heck the op himself uses him as a point of comparison. Come on lol.

Blame the OP for the premise.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No need to prove a fact.