• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DominicanGlory
Jul 26, 2018
Basically my initial reaction, almost word-for-word. When it comes to legendary gamedevs, they usually invent things, not just do something that's really popular and moves a lot of units.
This thinking is just short sighted. Should we condemn the new generation of talent for them not being around when the foundations were laid? That's like saying Jordan Peele will never make a horror movie as good as John Carpenter

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
NOPE. I know there is not many mature story telling experiences like it in this medium but is a horrible mess and way overhyped. Guy doesn't come close to those legends. Story looked like a 12 year old wrote it, pacing god awful, only one boss fight and I could go on and on and on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I

Didn't uncharted start that whole trend of cinematic third person shooters with high production values and set pieces? it's not exactly genre defining but its something

Not really. Gears of War was the originator of that trend, if anything. Uncharted didn't kick into gear and become "important" until the sequel.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We'll talk about it in 10-15 years.
Legendary game developers are sitting on a pedestal because of ongoing magnificent work, because their games are aging well and are considered classics.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people in here acting like MGS didn't make damn near every studio put in a tacked on stealth section in their games from 1999-present day?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this game really 30+ hours? Seems like far too long for this type of game... part 1 was what, 15-20? And it felt long at times. I'm looking forward to playing part 2 sometime soon, but goddam 30 hours is bound to be a slog at times right?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Gears of War was the originator of that trend, if anything. Uncharted didn't kick into gear and become "important" until the sequel.
I wouldn't call gears of war cinematic. The cover system and (everything was gray/brown color scheme) was what made it influential. I dont think gears has that cinematic "label" from fans.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Huh? No thanks to one of the foremost users of crunch. Not to mention any lack of vision or innovation

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was gonna happen when TLOU2 came out but god the hyperbole is getting out of hand.

Why, though? Miyamoto and Sakaguchi created or completely redefined entire genres.

Druckmann made a couple of third person shooters that sold well.

Exactly. At least give TLOU2 some distance to see if it influences anything.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely not, lmao.

is this why he thought it was okay to insert a card of himself where he passes off crunch as a silly little joke?

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
Was it ever even an argument outside of OP going out of his way to show his admiration for Druckman? If you appreciate the creative mind and his work you are able to support whoever you want and throw them in whatever conversation you want. There is no right answer - I'm a gigantic fan of Neil's work myself.

As for the number of users flooding the thread with "crunch" comments it seems pretty nonsensical and comes across as disingenuous. Not only because the conversation doesn't warrant it, but because crunch is a industry wide issue and far from being individualized to just Naughty Dog nor Druckmann of all people.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL at people just blatantly dismissing the already stellar run Neil has had already.

Stellar run my ass

The Uncharted games are scripted as hell

The guy barely makes a game that gameplay wise it's decent and y'all are already building altars

Cult of Kojima? More like Church of Druckmann

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this game really 30+ hours? Seems like far too long for this type of game... part 1 was what, 15-20? And it felt long at times. I'm looking forward to playing part 2 sometime soon, but goddam 30 hours is bound to be a slog at times right?

Yes it is. Maybe if you really rush it 25 is possible, but the average person will take at least 30 hours I think.

And yes it does drag on and on.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't uncharted start that whole trend of cinematic third person shooters with high production values and set pieces? it's not exactly genre defining but its something

I think you could argue that to an extent but Druckmann didn't start directing them until U4. He was a designer on Uncharted and Uncharted 2 and didn't work on Uncharted 3. He only started directing ND games from TLOU onwards. Before that it was Hennig/Straley.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
A lot of the guys in that group benefitted from the technological improvements (first 3d games, first analog controls, etc.). Its pretty hard to match the influence of things like that. VR is definitely an opportunity for someone though.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And to be compared to the ones in the OT, he should do at least a game with some interesting new game feature. Because I don't think that an enemy shouting a random name whenever someone dies is a gameplay feature.

TLOU II is a solid game with a lot of money (and human suffering) behind it, if something we need to say that Sony deserves to be mentioned for funding all those big, untenable projects.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? No thanks to one of the foremost users of crunch. Not to mention any lack of vision or innovation

but i guess you don't have any problems with Miyamoto?
In those days, Miyamoto would come to us at 11 PM, after he finished all of his board-member work, and say, "It's Mario time." At that point, we'd start a planning meeting that would run until 2 AM. At that point, Miyamoto would go home, leaving us with the words, "You should return home soon, for your health." Over the next two or three hours, we'd write the game design documents and summarize the instructions for our artists and programmers.

It was the craziest crunch time that I've ever experienced in my development career. But if the God of Games was working so much, could we give up? Miyamoto had incredible stamina.

iSnakeTK

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility, recent severe ban, junior account
If you didn't play TLOU 2 you should not post stuff like this.

I don't want to post the gifs again and again just so people can see how good the game is but here we go again.

First of all I finished the game on hard already so fuck off. Second you can do the exact the same thing in the first game except going prone.