• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
the-disco-elysium-team-talks-ps5-porting-process-extra-content-and-dumb-deaths-interview-1.original.jpg

Following the initial PC release in late 2019, how has the porting process to consoles gone? Did you encounter any unexpected challenges? Has Sony aided in getting Disco Elysium running on PS5 and PS4 at all?

Overall, it's been pretty smooth. Fortunately, a game like Disco is relatively easy to bring to consoles because the controls and mechanics aren't anything too elaborate. The main challenge we faced was a bit more fundamental: How do you keep console players engaged while reading hundreds of thousands of words' worth of text on their TV screens? That was one of the major drivers behind our decision to add full voice over for the Final Cut.

How will the controls map to a controller? Did this present a challenge during development or was it a fairly smooth process?

There's always some challenge in bringing a keyboard-and-mouse control scheme to a controller, but fortunately Disco is pretty minimalist by control standards. There's no fancy combat or acrobatic stuff. The main thing is that we wanted the console experience to feel as natural and immersive as possible, hence the herculean efforts to get the game fully voiced. The art team has also added tons of nice new details to the world itself — new animations, new or improved character portraits, new sound and lighting effects. It's just now starting to come together and it's been amazing to watch.

Now that the port is almost done, what's next for ZA/UM? Would you be interested in developing a sequel or moving onto something completely new?

I've been told that I can't say too much about future projects at the moment, but rest assured we are all still employed and working.

www.pushsquare.com

Interview: The Disco Elysium Team Talks PS5 Porting Process, Extra Content, and Dumb Deaths

"Aren’t all deaths equally dumb, in the end?"

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I need to give it a second chance. Its an amazingly beautiful and written game but by god is it smartly written and proud of it

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of buying the game on PS5 despite already finishing it on PC. Just want an excuse for another playthrough.

AmAsuT

"This guy are sick"
Jan 24, 2021

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Would've liked more detail on the controller mapping. Having to double click R2 like a mouse would be pretty lame. Hopefully you can just use the joystick to get around.

JoeHisaishi

Banned
Jan 30, 2021
I swear if this suffers from the usual PC to Console port of "tiny text" syndrome, I'm gonna punch a teddy bear.

STOP DOING IT DEVELOPERS. AINT NO ONE WANNA SIT 2 FEET AWAY FROM ANY TV IN THE LIVING ROOM.

AmAsuT

"This guy are sick"
Jan 24, 2021
While it's entirely possible the team were being coy for the sake of being coy, that they were tossing around ideas for a sequel circa launch doesn't necessarily mean they didn't decide on a different project for their next release.

Yeah, you're right. They even mentioned "future projects" so maybe they're already working on different things, but it would've been better if they clarified that cause I really liked those ideas :(

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't play Disco Elysium until early 2020, but it was retroactively my game of the year. I almost want to double dip just so I have a physical console version.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this, and had no idea they were voicing it or adding new content for the port. I've been wanting to play this for years.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I wish more if these types of games sell on consoles. They are a gift to the genre for sure.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I swear if this suffers from the usual PC to Console port of "tiny text" syndrome, I'm gonna punch a teddy bear.

STOP DOING IT DEVELOPERS. AINT NO ONE WANNA SIT 2 FEET AWAY FROM ANY TV IN THE LIVING ROOM.
Thank you for the Bioshock flashbacks... I'm really happy they put thought into a text heavy game in a console.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's the first thing I thought of when reading that "fully voiced" comment. I hope the ant book club isn't back in session.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much about the full voice acting, but the new content sounds great. Is it going to be patched into the PC version, or be PS exclusive? Might need a replay...

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Never got around to it, but got it on sale for the big EGS sale at the end of last year. When the update comes out, I look forward to finally checking it out.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Huh ... that's weird. They already talked about the sequel ...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/disco-elysium-sequel
I took it as them realizing that if they kept talking about very early stage ideas and ambitions then they might build expectations that these projects were certainties rather than possibilities.

They're a very ambitious team, and there's a lot they want to do, but I think they're going to be exploring different options a bit before they fully commit to telling the press that they're definitely making a Disco Elysium sequel with a pregnant playable character. If they tell players about a path they're headed down now that doesn't work out over the course of development, then they get stuck with the unfortunate choice of either cutting something people were expecting or keeping something that distorts the rest of the game.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018

Those ZA/UM developers are geniuses and they know what they're doing. I'm confident the console port is in safe hands.

To copy the top quote from the YT video I posted, "I could listen to him talk about UX design for hours".

JoeHisaishi

Banned
Jan 30, 2021

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
So basically confirmed that Sony payed for timed exclusivity on this, if they didnt help with porting or whatever. Unfortunate. Really want to play on the Switch

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
So, er... How does that work?
I mean, are they talking about how the PlayStation 4 game would run on PlayStation 5 (i.e. backward compatibility with some perks), or is there an actual, separate PlayStation 5 version of the game planned? And if so, is there an upgrade path?