• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the people saying they don't want this to happen.

Maybe because they don't want Remedy's games limited to/by a single platform they have little/no intention of buying into? I don't see what's hard to understand. People want more options, not less. If PlayStation remains a viable platform, you will still get Remedy's games on there if they remain independent.

I'd argue that's not the only point. Remedy's games wouldn't automatically become better with a Sony AAAA budget vs. whatever their current budgets are. In fact, it might be detrimental to their output. Remedy's best work was done on a budget where the pizza delivery guy was brought in to record lines.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Best case Scenario is that they get the Kojima treatment, Remedy are veterans of the industry after all with amazing tech and gaming portfolio.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Maybe because they don't want Remedy's games limited to/by a single platform they have little/no intention of buying into? I don't see what's hard to understand. People want more options, not less. If PlayStation remains a viable platform, you will still get Remedy's games on there if they remain independent.

I'd argue that's not the only point. Remedy's games wouldn't automatically become better with a Sony AAAA budget vs. whatever their current budgets are. In fact, it might be detrimental to their output. Remedy's best work was done on a budget where the pizza delivery guy was brought in to record lines.
There have been studios bought by platform holders that I don't have an intention of buying into either. It just happens sometimes. It's not the end of the world.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I was really looking forward to see what they can do independently, but if this helps them grow and better realize their creative vision then I'm down for it.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reliable insiders (Matt and Zhuge) have said they've heard similar things, enough to not completely write it off, but too early to say if anything will come of it.
What seems most likely is Remedy working on a PS5 exclusive. Based on this rumour and Shu visting their studio not long ago. I doubt Shu would handle stuff like buying studios, but he 100% would handle early 1st party games.
Sounds like smoke then...
Thanks for sharing. I think Remedy would be a great addition to their roster.

At the same time, I loved Ninja Theory output (apart from the DmC game), but weirdly enough, people were soooo optimistic on that thread MS could buy them. Like, let this be true! I want MS to increase their budget, expand Ninja Theory's workforce and let them go nuts!

I for one have to buy into the Xbox ecosystem to enjoy their games, like Hellblade, were enjoyed by many on all platforms.

At the same time, Remedy under first party Sony control would give them just as much a shot at thriving as NT would under MS.

I hope this happens and Remedy gets to experiment more! I remember how the original concept of Alan Wake was to be that of an open world game, for example. I say increase their budget, expand the studio and let them go nuts!

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
no point in acquiring insomniac for the next... 6 years while they are contracted on spider-man.

Maybe so, but I still rather make it official. I can't really see them doing any big projects outside of R&C and Spider-Man for while though. Sony may as well get them on PSVR games too.

Not at all, as their games will be on Steam, not just Xbox console/store/GP/xCloud.

So they have to build a gaming PC. Still an extra piece of hardware.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Maybe so, but I still rather make it official. I can't really see them doing any big projects outside of R&C and Spider-Man for while though. Sony may as well get them on PSVR games too.

So they have to build a gaming PC. Still an extra piece of hardware.
acquiring insomniac will do for sony 2 things right now:
1) get them VR games, which is not a big source of revenue right now
2) bragging rights that they have insomniac... lol.
Its just too much of a waste of money as things stand right now. Think about what is the price insomniac likely wants right now after their massive success with spider-man

Oct 25, 2017
acquiring insomniac will do for sony 2 things right now:
1) get them VR games, which is not a big source of revenue right now
2) bragging rights that they have insomniac... lol.
Its just too much of a waste of money as things stand right now. Think about what is the price insomniac likely wants right now after their massive success with spider-man

I think the success of Spider-Man makes it more likely that they join WWS.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think money is an issue with Sony buying Insomniac. It just a matter of when Ted Price is ready to come home.

It's campaign for an MMO. Biggest IP or whatever I don't think it's a prestigious gig.

Like who cares if this is a prestigius gig or not? Remedy is getting royalities out of CrossFire and this game is big, bigger than anything they made in past years and than anything they will make even with a bigger publisher backing their project.

Brushing off CrossFire only because it's an online f2p fps game is petty. in 2018 the game generated 1.5b USD in revenue( lifetime is >10 billion) , Remedy can even get a small 5% or even lower and it's still a lot of money for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Like who cares if this is a prestigius gig or not? Remedy is getting royalities out of CrossFire and this game is big, bigger than anything they made in past years and than anything they will make even with a bigger publisher backing their project.

Brushing off CrossFire only because it's an online f2p fps game is petty. in 2018 the game generated 1.5b USD in revenue( lifetime is >10 billion) , Remedy can even get a small 5% or even lower and it's still a lot of money for them.

OK. Still seems like a hired gun job, but good for them if what you say is true. I find it hard to believe they will pay them that much.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

why would they get money from the online f2p part of the game? they will get from the campaign portion.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
At this point if these studios are going to get picked up I'd rather they go with MS. At least we'll get their games on PC if they do.

Ideally they'd stay independent but that doesn't seem like an option nowadays.

Oct 26, 2017
[
why would they get money from the online f2p part of the game? they will get from the campaign portion.

CrossFire X is shipping with both campaign and MP, in asia if im not wrong they are going to release the game as a F2P like the previous ones. I brought the old CrossFire as an example, this is the first one title with a Sp campaign and i dont know how do you separate MP and SP revenue in a f2p game.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

At the same time, I loved Ninja Theory output (apart from the DmC game), but weirdly enough, people were soooo optimistic on that thread MS could buy them. Like, let this be true! I want MS to increase their budget, expand Ninja Theory's workforce and let them go nuts!

I for one have to buy into the Xbox ecosystem to enjoy their games, like Hellblade, were enjoyed by many on all platforms.

At the same time, Remedy under first party Sony control would give them just as much a shot at thriving as NT would under MS.

I hope this happens and Remedy gets to experiment more! I remember how the original concept of Alan Wake eas to be that of an open world game, for example. I say increase their budget, expand the studio and let them go nuts!
Not at all, as their games will be on Steam, not just Xbox console/store/GP/xCloud.
Steam is still a platform I cant necessarily play it on, my pc is pretty modest. I cant play it where I played they're previous games, on PS3, 4. Simply being on Steam isn't a substitute for that.
It's like saying it's ok, you can always play Remedy's next game via Sony's streaming service on PC or even on a tv supporting PlayStation Now.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure that is the game they dreamed of making. A campaign for a MMO. This is one of those keep the lights on deals.

It's a two game deal (X and HD), this alongside Control and concepting/prototyping a third, as yet unannounced title is hardly something a developer does to 'keep the lights on'.

Developers also don't tend to build their own engines if they are struggling to raise funds or 'keep the lights on'.

Come on fam. I know there's a desperation to paint Remedy as struggling, but all signs point to them pretty damn well.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Reliable insiders (Matt and Zhuge) have said they've heard similar things, enough to not completely write it off, but too early to say if anything will come of it.
What seems most likely is Remedy working on a PS5 exclusive. Based on this rumour and Shu visting their studio not long ago. I doubt Shu would handle stuff like buying studios, but he 100% would handle early 1st party games.

The visit could be related to Control, but it could also be related to their third, as yet, unannounced title.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Steam is still a platform I cant necessarily play it on, my pc is pretty modest. I cant play it where I played they're previous games, on PS3, 4. Simply being on Steam isn't a substitute for that.
It's like saying it's ok, you can always play Remedy's next game via Sony's streaming service on PC or even on a tv supporting PlayStation Now.
It's not like saying anything other than the fact I was correcting you when you said you can only play the game within the "Xbox ecosystem". Steam isn't in the Xbox ecosystem. Playstation Now - even when played on a PC - is obviously still in the PlayStation ecosystem. I was only correcting you, not suggesting you upgrade your PC.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017

I was not one of those people. The thing about Microsoft though is that they at least have a multi-platform vision in place.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It will be interesting to see if Remedy can release a game relatively on time without too many issues if they have a Sony exclusive or are acquired by them. Control isn't a good example since it basically is QB2, same tech, very similar overall. Development of QB probably took so long because of the tech, not exactly sure what it was. But it's also too easy and just nonsensical to blame it all on MS, they gave Remedy many years and resources for both AW and QB.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a two game deal (X and HD), this alongside Control and concepting/prototyping a third, as yet unannounced title is hardly something a developer does to 'keep the lights on'.

Developers also don't tend to build their own engines if they are struggling to raise funds or 'keep the lights on'.

Come on fam. I know there's a desperation to paint Remedy as struggling, but all signs point to them pretty damn well.

I didn't intend to insinuate that they are in a bad financial state. I don't think it that matters when it comes to an acquisition as far as justifying anything. It just seems to be a mercenary type gig to me. Similar to Platinum doing licensed games.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I wont lie, I want this to be true, especially cause Sony didn't buy Quantic Dream and I kinda thought that was a guarantee at some point down the line.
I figure they're going to lose exclusivity on QD games going foward, they should buy Remedy who are tried and tested AAA storytellers. I don't get the people saying they don't want this to happen.
I want this to be true, coupled with those rumors Sony wants to up the budget for their AAA PS5 games... sounds great to me.

They have spent much money in R&D to have the best looking raytracing boosted engine... it looks fantastic, and RT is not limited to a single use case in their solution, they push the frontier compared to other engines.
I would feel it a little unfair to their spirit if they got restricted to a limited console hardware (rightfully limited, the price point is important for those machines) and not being able to license their engine to PC third parties who can exploit the full potential of future hardware.

So, if there is a partnership or acquisition, i hope it doesn't bar them from exploiting the more capable hardware that will come out on PC.
However, if that's what it takes to save them from bankruptcy, so be it...

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like saying anything other than the fact I was correcting you when you said you can only play the game within the "Xbox ecosystem". Steam isn't in the Xbox ecosystem. Playstation Now - even when played on a PC - is obviously still in the PlayStation ecosystem. I was only correcting you, not suggesting you upgrade your PC.
Xbox, ecosystems may be one thing, but Im speaking of platforms, you can play Remedy's game on the pc platform with Streaming tech, if you're a big fan of Remedy. It doesn't make much difference if you're a fan of their games. Much like watching a show on a different streaming subscription.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I think that as development costs increase next-gen, we will see more and more of Remedy-like studios be acquired by Sony and Microsoft. They'll need a stable flow of resources to sustain development, or risk complete restructuring or closure.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a really well documented and very supportive of your argument.

I don't know if Sony will acquire Remedy as in the history of SIE they have never acquired a studio they had not previously worked it.

Though many signs certainly suggest SIE are partnering up with Remedy on a new game for next generation:

1. Control was announced during Sony's E3 2018 Press Conference

2. Sony has a marketing deal and timed exclusive content for Control

3. In a financial statement, Remedy's future plans included multiple partnerships.(So far 2 partnerships have been revealed with 505 Games publishing Control and Remedy collaborating with Smilegate on the single player portion of Crossfire X. Perhaps SIE is another partnership) https://2qyvea42zlxl2lzrbajpdvgw-wp.../2017/04/Remedy-2018-financial-statements.pdf

4. Kojima visited Remedy back in January.

5. Shuhei visited Remedy back in May. Shuhei only visits either first party studios or other Worldwide Studios they collaborate with SIE on games

6. Remedy visited both Naughty Dog and Insomniac last month

7. Lastly in this Gameinformer video in which Sam Lake discusses Kojima's studio visit he mentions the two compared notes and specifically says one of the notes they discussed was Publishers.(around the 30 second mark) Other than SIE, Konami is the only publisher Kojima has worked with when it comes to publishing his games. Ain't no way Kojima going to talk positively about Konami after they way the ousted him.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Why is it that I can't help but feel like this is some fairy tale bullshit and no such acquisition is happening at all.

I love Remedy by the way. Have done since the Max Payne days. But does Sony really need another cinematic, third-person shooter dev under its belt?
No they dont, i'd love to see a multi player focused studio join them instead or maybe a Japanese studio like Level 2 ?

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Come on, Sony, get your hands on Ready at Dawn, and give us a good sequel to The Order, with a few mandates that they focus on GAMEPLAY FIRST.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think they would be a very good fit, and I imagine Remedy could do great things with a Sony budget and support.

Everyone saying they are redundant with Naughty Dog really has not played thought too hard about it. Their writing and tone is totally different.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't bump old threads. If there's a relevant update, a new thread can be created.

Status
Not open for further replies.