• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You could say the same things about many of the studios Microsoft has bought recently. Like, what's Compulsion Games last successful IP? They've only released mediocre bombs.
Compulsion is a small team that's still relatively new to the industry. Most of MS's acquisitions are small teams that rarely get a chance to make a big budget game. Even if the game bombs it's not gonna be costly compared to maintaining a huge studio like Remedy.

Last edited:

NiceRiceBowl

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
From Nibellion on Twitter -

"Removed the Remedy x PlayStation tweet. While there seems to be some smoke regarding some form of collaboration between both companies, the tweet about a potential acquistion wasn't accurate - apologies for that"

/thread

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
God I hope not unless Sony allow them to still publish on PC that's where remedy shine. I'm sick of fanboys wishing for everyone to be Sony exclusive.

The thing is even if somehow Sony did let them publish on PC I bet it would only be the epic store as the only Sony exclusives I've seen on PC are now EGS exclusives only.

I was going to pick up Control on Xbox now and steam later but if they go Sony exclusive the changes that Control 2 is only on PS5 is pretty high.

I will be down as fuck if they get bought out depending on how it goes.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Well, I'm not sure that's a good idea... Quantum Break was terrible and Control doesn't looks any better, well, we'll see how it goes I guess​

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
God I hope not unless Sony allow them to still publish on PC that's where remedy shine. I'm sick of fanboys wishing for everyone to be Sony exclusive.

The thing is even if somehow Sony did let them publish on PC I bet it would only be the epic store as the only Sony exclusives I've seen on PC are now EGS exclusives only.

I was going to pick up Control on Xbox now and steam later but if they go Sony exclusive the changes that Control 2 is only on PS5 is pretty high.

I will be down as fuck if they get bought out depending on how it goes.
What the fuck? Just buy a Playstation. Remedy has had huge issues with funding their games this would resolve that and put them with a pool of teams that make single player narrative experiences.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
From Nibellion on Twitter -

"Removed the Remedy x PlayStation tweet. While there seems to be some smoke regarding some form of collaboration between both companies, the tweet about a potential acquistion wasn't accurate - apologies for that"

/thread

There it is. Remedy should stay unchained.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Remedy, a bigger name than Obsidian? Nah. I mean they made two mediocre selling games in past 10+ years. I love Remedy's games, even QB, but I honestly don't see how it's a smart investment. There's a reason Microsoft didn't buy them and isn't investing in new games from them.

I suppose it depends on how you look at them. Obsidian has more employees, but I think it's a safe bet to say Remedy's games are more known than Obsidians.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why Microsoft never included them in their spending spree.

Their most recent game was an expensive single player only experience of the kind Microsoft doesn't seem interested in doing any more. It's closer to the type of experience that Sony typically puts money behind, so it's possible they might do well there, though Insomniac seems like a more natural fit.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Their most recent game was an expensive single player only experience of the kind Microsoft doesn't seem interested in doing any more.

QB was a disaster because of MS and their insistence on having live action elements littered throughout the game. QB also suffered because MS shutdown their original live action content division before the game even launched, so it rendered a lot of the work Remedy had done pretty fucking useless in the long term.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm a little torn. I've long said early xb1 exclusives, specifically Quantum Break are extremely underrated. I feel like Quantum Break more than holds its own to Sony's first party exclusives. I just don't really want Sony to gobble up Remedy. Not because they won't give them the resources, but just because they've lived and thrived on the PC historically.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I LOVE how MS buying these guys is the worst move ever and typical MS bullshit, yet once Sony have a shot, its the best thing in the world and such a good move... Those goal posts man, we just cant lock them down...

Oct 26, 2017
You could say the same things about many of the studios Microsoft has bought recently. Like, what's Compulsion Games last successful IP? They've only released mediocre bombs.

Compulsion Games acquisition is still weird to me, like why?
At least PG, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Double Fine and InXile already proved themseleves, Undead Labs should continue build on State of Decay, apparently SoD2 did good, but Compulsion Games is ????

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope this isn't true, the last thing Sony needs is yet another western SP-focused studio.

They should be investing in MP and asian studios imo.

Oct 27, 2017
My bad, I thought we saw a tweet of Shu visiting remedy which is when I assumed it went down
He just went over with a suitcase full of Yen and bought the studio...

Anyway, after playing qb and aw and watching the control gameplay vids. I think that they are a touch overrated. I'll reserve judgement till I have played control, but at the moment it is doing nothing for me

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE how MS buying these guys is the worst move ever and typical MS bullshit, yet once Sony have a shot, its the best thing in the world and such a good move... Those goal posts man, we just cant lock them down...

Who said that MS buying studio is bad but Sony buying studio is good?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They just purchased 6 mainly single player focused studios.

They will definitely do different types of single player games and Ninja Theory might do slightly lower budget games of that kind, but there's absolutely nothing indicating they're interested in doing expensive one and done cinematic single player only games like Quantum Break. It's not gonna be their focus, which should be obvious if you look at their studios. If we get one of those next generation, I'd consider us lucky. Two would be a miracle.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least PG, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Double Fine and InXile already proved themseleves, Undead Labs should continue build on State of Decay, apparently SoD2 did good, but Compulsion Games is ????
Good storytellers. I played WHF through gamepass and I liked the story. The problem with the game was the bugs and mediocre gameplay that was basically tacked on at the last minute because they changed the gameplay midway through the development.

They will definitely do different types of single player games and Ninja Theory might do slightly lower budget games of that kind, but there's absolutely nothing indicating they're interested in doing expensive one and done cinematic single player only games like Quantum Break. It's not gonna be their focus, which should be obvious if you look at their studios. If we get one of those next generation, I'd consider us lucky. Two would be a miracle.

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Single player games thrive on gamepass. 4 of the top 5 games in gamepass are single player only, Metro and Batman being huge blockbusters.

Last edited:

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When they do a Alan Wake Remaster + a Sequel I will die of joy.
Alan Wake is one of my most loved games of all times and I would do everything for a Sequel.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I would rather a RPG studio but Remedy makes a lot of sense inside Sony's WWS

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
These threads have consistently shown the opposite of that, with people being fine with MS buying Studios, as it just fucks over PlayStation users. But Sony buying studios is the worst, as they'll only support PlayStation afterwards. But you see what you want to see I guess.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
QB was a disaster because of MS and their insistence on having live action elements littered throughout the game. QB also suffered because MS shutdown their original live action content division before the game even launched, so it rendered a lot of the work Remedy had done pretty fucking useless in the long term.
Not true. The live action stuff was Remedy their idea. Remember Sam Lake always has been a big fan of this.
Also the live action stuff was planned for Alan Wake 2 first.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
What the fuck? Just buy a Playstation. Remedy has had huge issues with funding their games this would resolve that and put them with a pool of teams that make single player narrative experiences.

What if i dont want to buy a fucking playstation but want to play the games on my pc with a mouse and keyboard at high framerates? And theres no need to invent fictive issues, huge issues my god, not even regular issues. They didnt have any issues. Max Payne was wildly succesfull on PC that they were able to triple up on everything for the sequel. Then with Alan Wake and QB they were under Microsoft.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

The funny thing is that it should be the opposite. At least, I know that when MS buy a studio, they commit to multiplatform to some extent. With Sony though ? Yeah, I can even expect back catalog to be removed.

The game industry always had a double standard regarding exclusivity, including with the press. Microsoft got a lot of shit for paying a 1 year exclusivity for Tomb Raider:
kotaku.com

People Are Pissed That Tomb Raider Is An Xbox Exclusive

This morning's biggest Gamescom news was that Rise of the Tomb Raider, the next big console installment in Lara Croft's adventures, will be an Xbox exclusive. And people are pissed.
You even had the press asking questions over and over to Microsoft execs "When is it coming to PS4 ???"
Yet you don't see the same thing with Final Fantasy VII. You'll never see Geoff be like "Hey Sony, how long is it exclusive ?"

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that it should be the opposite. At least, I know that when MS buy a studio, they commit to multiplatform to some extent. With Sony though ? Yeah, I can even expect back catalog to be removed.

The game industry always had a double standard regarding exclusivity, including with the press. Microsoft got a lot of shit for paying a 1 year exclusivity for Tomb Raider:
kotaku.com

People Are Pissed That Tomb Raider Is An Xbox Exclusive

This morning's biggest Gamescom news was that Rise of the Tomb Raider, the next big console installment in Lara Croft's adventures, will be an Xbox exclusive. And people are pissed.
You even had the press asking questions over and over to Microsoft execs "When is it coming to PS4 ???"
Yet you don't see the same thing with Final Fantasy VII. You'll never see Geoff be like "Hey Sony, how long is it exclusive ?"

That's because Sony didn't come out and shouted at the rooftops that FFVII would now be exclusive, SE did.

Edit: Play it first on PS4 is also much more clear than whatever MS used when they announced it.

Last edited:

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to bet their all next Xbox projects will be online focused. like bleeding edge
Oh brother.

Bleeding edge was in development before MS bought them. MS has nothing to do with them making a multiplayer game. All of the other games from them will most likely be single player focused. Most of the games announced by the purchased studios are single player focused.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Not true. The live action stuff was Remedy their idea. Remember Sam Lake always has been a big fan of this.
Also the live action stuff was planned for Alan Wake 2 first.

My bad, I think I confused it with something else that was linked to MS and their live action endeavors.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While it's a good fit for their platform it's still lame as hell to buy out a multiplatform dev.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That would be pretty funny that Microsoft gives Sony Alan Wake for free also, speaking of MS, i wonder if they will bid for them too.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If you played We Happy Few and Contrast they are both praised for the story stuff and unique setting. They only thing thats letting it down its the polish really. Their vision on games have been really cool.
Just need help with the polish and have more freedom to do what they do then for example focusing on being a kickstarter. More money, more hires and overall support from MS can really help them to make good games.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That would be pretty funny that Microsoft gives Sony Alan Wake for free also, speaking of MS, i wonder if they will bid for them too.
Don't u think if they wanted to , they would have by now after working closely with then for 10 years ? MS is definitely not interested. I know many fans are interested in that but not MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.