• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if "third person (shooter) action game" expertise/output is something Sony really needs more of.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Imo I don't think Sony will be satisfied until they can release two good AAA single player games every year... And for the moment this is not possible at all. Sony Santa Monica, ND, Sucker Punch and Sony Bend will not release a PS5 games before a few years. Probably the same for Insomniac or Kojima Productions... Out of Guerrilla or some independent third party studio (Housemarque?, maybe Studio Wushu?, maybe Ready at Dawn?), they don't have games ready for the first two years of the PS5 . And they need exclusives game to move early adopter to PS5 as fast as possible like they want to do...

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony does acquire Remedy, I fully expect the stock to soar. Thinking about buying in, just in case...

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
They are not my thing, liked QB, but just because it was 10e, never would have paid day1 for it. And i dont like how control looks, but sony does what they want

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The PS5 has already been confirmed to support ray tracing.
Anchormanidontbelieveyou.gif

From what we've heard from DF and others in the know it's pretty much agreed that Ray tracing on new gen consoles will be very limited in terms of resolution and frame rates. Maybe they'll surprise us, maybe engines will get better in pushing
Ray tracing and it will not be so bad but I taut doubt it.

Nov 2, 2017
And you don't think Quantum Break would be a hell of a lot better when it was published under Sony's wings? They probably would've brought in some guys from Japan Studios, Naughty Dog, Guerilla (Decima) and Santa Monica.

Acquiring Remedy would be a big slap in the face of Microsoft. Remedy is probably a bigger name then any of the studio's they acquired.
Remedy, a bigger name than Obsidian? Nah. I mean they made two mediocre selling games in past 10+ years. I love Remedy's games, even QB, but I honestly don't see how it's a smart investment. There's a reason Microsoft didn't buy them and isn't investing in new games from them.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Not big fan of acquisitions, I prefer funding/publishing deals since the studio remains independent.

But it will be a good get for sure.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The studio could do something else right?

Maybe/hopefully a full-fledged RPG which is also not open-world.

I would love that.
Of course they could but, like, Remedy has been doing 3rd person shooters for two decades at this point. Hard to imagine Sony would be buying them to develop some hack 'n' slash RPG for them or anything. But I guess this could also be the opportunity for Remedy to branch out into new directions, Horizon style.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I mean it would be weird if Sony weren't looking at them, right? The certainly fit into their roster of first party studios.

I just hope nothing happens until Control releases. Who knows? Maybe the game will be a big success for Remedy and they can continue to make the kind of game they make best without exclusivity.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
And people saying Sony needs more of X type studio and this is only more of the same, this would free up another studio to do something else and maintain the same output while expanding the variety of the portfolio. And Remedy could also try to do a MP game for Sony, they've talked about maybe doing it in the past.
Well exactly.

Naughty Dog could be freed up to make that first-person game they are still interested in doing. Sony is clearly not stepping away from doing multiplayer games either and it looks like Guerrilla is working on one for the PS5.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
In Remedys case, I'd rather see them stay independent as long as possible. Though in this case I don't expect anything to happen. Hopefully Control does well for them.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Whether this pans out or not, it does seems that Sony is really looking into acquire studios.

I still feel like Housemarque would be a no-brainer. If they announce new studio purchases and Housemarque is not one of them, I would be very surlrised.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Imo I don't think Sony will be satisfied until they can release two good AAA single player games every year... And for the moment this is not possible at all. Sony Santa Monica, ND, Sucker Punch and Sony Bend will not release a PS5 games before a few years. Probably the same for Insomniac or Kojima Productions... Out of Guerrilla or some independent third party studio (Housemarque?, maybe Studio Wushu?, maybe Ready at Dawn?), they don't have games ready for the first two years of the PS5 . And they need exclusives game to move early adopter to PS5 as fast as possible like they want to do...
Agree with this. Besides Gorilla all the top Sony studios have or will have released a game in last year or so before next console. Gorilla gonna have to carry the PS5 for 1st year or so unless Sony buys some exclusives

Oct 26, 2017
This would be a great pickup.

I always wondered why Microsoft never included them in their spending spree.

Well, they are expensive to run and they already costed a lot of money for MS will little to no return.
If you look at MS acquisitions, the biggest studios acquired were Playground Games, Ninja Theory and Obsidian, the rest are small studios <100 people.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like they are just basing it on Shu visiting their studio and then throwing "anonymous sources" at the end, like what people here say. But Shu's vist could just as much mean Remedy are working on a PS5 exclusive, like what MS did with Insomniac.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I understand that it's very hard for a studio of Remedy's size to keep everybody at work on something valuable. However, I think Remedy is in the best condition it could possibly be. They have a deal with Smilegate that should bring a lot of financial stability, since the CrossFire franchise is so immensely popular in Asia. Then there's the creation of own IP through Control (and who knows what will come after that). Of course Control isn't that much of a headline yet, but its release right between Gamescom and PAX West is very strategic, and in combination with good critical scores, that can be the key to good launch momentum. Control isn't a AAA game, so it doesn't have to sell many millions of copies to break even. And now they got the publishing rights for the original Alan Wake back, which means the brand is finally completely in their hands. As pointed out earlier, there's a TV show coming up, so a sequel around the same time is likely. Now they have an option to remaster the original for a release inbetween.

These three parts - stability, new IP, and ownership of a brand that is already strong - set Remedy in a position where big growth for the company is possible. Their current stock market value is around €120 million, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a significantly higher number in a couple of years, after they've self-published one or two more games after Control.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. MS is currently getting a variety of studios that cover all manner of games, with SP as probably their only weak area. Sony is getting a little too focused around one area, which could stifle those teams in the long run.

Yeah BUT.... the best SP games are on PS.
And the best MP games as well. 3P but still. If you want to play the best SP AND MP games you are set with just a PS. Can't say the same for Xbox. Unless Gears, Halo etc become the juggernaut they once were, which I doubt. Xbox used to be the king of MP. Now they have acquired diverse studios but doubt they'll ever be the best of any genre, MP or SP. Time will tell and I truly hope i'm wrong but I'm not too optimistic about most of the studios they bought. They need bigger ones. Sony is smart. They got SP games on lockdown. Then got exclusive marketing deals with the biggest 3P sellers. Why spend so much money on trying to crack the MP genre when the best MP games are 3P anyway and available on your platform as well. I hate those timed exclusive deals but it's very important for them. I bought every fifa on xbox because ea access was only on xbox which allowed me to play the game earlier AND you had icons in UT.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sounds like they are just basing it on Shu visiting their studio and then throwing "anonymous sources" at the end, like what people here say. But Shu's vist could just as much mean Remedy are working on a PS5 exclusive, like what MS did with Insomniac.
zhuge confirmed on the 3rd page that sony are exploring this, so it isnt just speculation.

Oct 25, 2017
Whether this pans out or not, it does seems that Sony is really looking into acquire studios.

I still feel like Housemarque would be a no-brainer. If they announce new studio purchases and Housemarque is not one of them, I would be very surlrised.

Yeah the main takeaway from this is Sony is definitely looking hard at acquiring studios. And apparently not just studios that they have been working with recently.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yah, let's denied the game to the ps4 users because that makes so much sense.

How about they continue to be multiplatform?
You didn't understand: IF they have to be bought it's way better MS (Xbox + PC + maybe Nintendo too since Cuphead) then Sony (PS4 only) and I say this as a PS and PC user, it's way better to have it on PC too that only on a one console... IF they have to be bought.

But yeah, better stay indipendent.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It will be definitely surprising to have PlayStation being in Control of remedy's games in the future....a true quantum break from their previous ties with Xbox. Xbox only peeps definitely will feel some max pain though...

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
they are clearly not in a good position in terms of their budgets. control only has 12m dollar budget and its a AAA game for example. they need funding from a strong publisher, not necessarily an acquisition however.

You still haven't provided a source for this budget claim.

zhuge confirmed on the 3rd page that sony are exploring this, so it isnt just speculation.

He said it was explored at some point. I don't recall him using the present tense.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, that adds some weight to it then, I guess it points to Shu really liking what he saw. I think it'd be a good match and Sony looking to buy some mainland Europe devs seems most likely imo, given there's GG and no one else. With the UK adding MM, London (VR mostly), Manchester (VR) and Xdev (more a publisher), none of which are really making that big traditional AAA game. But Sony straight buying a studio with no real working history (we know off, I think a PS5 game is likely) would be very unlike their other buys.

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could see Sony publishing a PS5 exclusive but not just straight up buying them without working with them previously.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Op got people hyped for no reason he didn't post the whole article or even the whole remedy section of it just bits and pieces to fit a false narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.