• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
And some of them made only small or even indie games, others already developed exclusively for Microsoft and another is a completely new studio. And none of them are anywhere near the level of Sony's top studio's, so I think they're just fine even without any acquisitions.

I would turn it around: let's hope for Microsoft that Sony doesn't acquire anymore studio's and especially not studio's like Insomniac and Remedy, because if they do, next gen is gonna be a very long one for MS.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? Why would any company that wants to publish on multiple platforms go with Sony? Plus we don't know how much MS is willing to spend to buy studios or publishers. Judging on the fact that their business model requires them to create a lot of content, I assume it will be a lot.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'll wait for something from a insider here on this or official confirmation. Anyone can make up such claims. That being said, those visits that took place could be a sign of it, can't it?
seems like its not completely false at least:
I can probably guess the sources they talked to, given the Remedy stuff has been making the rounds.
I'd have to look into it more. I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe a deal has happened at this point. Only that it was explored.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Will be interesting to see if this happens. Also worth remembering that Remedy is currently working on Crossfire's single player campaign in addition to Control. Not sure if they have capacity for a third project.
there already is a third project
"One of the projects is the company's own game brand codenamed P7, in which the company's own financing plays a significant role," reads the financial report. "At the same time, the company will launch a third game project."
P7 is Control

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Their games not being playable with mouse and keyboard would pretty much make Control the last game I buy of theirs, would be a shame.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Jesus....sony really have brainwashed y'all into buying remasters. How about just being able to play the original game upscaled for free.....
I replayed Alan Wake on xbox one around Quantum Break launch. I will buy AW remaster day 1 because even if lighting is still impressive, 540p looks bad on 49" 4k TV.

And you don't think Quantum Break would be a hell of a lot better when it was published under Sony's wings? They probably would've brought in some guys from Japan Studios, Naughty Dog, Guerilla (Decima) and Santa Monica.

Acquiring Remedy would be a big slap in the face of Microsoft. Remedy is probably a bigger name then any of the studio's they acquired.
So every "single player game with strong focus on narrative" could have been "hell of a lot better" if they were "published under Sony's wings"? Because of their "first party support group"?

Remedy is big enough and should focus on bringing their games to multiple platforms. I don't think second party has worked well for them, they should be widening their audience with PC/PS4/XB1 releases.
They are currently working on a campaign for some South Korean mp shooter.... Sounds like Remedy!!! Lol. They need money to keep making games they are excited to make, and Sony is a good partner.
I expect Control to bomb. Expanded base does not guarantee more people are going to buy your games.
I will buy Control at launch as I'm big Remedy fan, but man, i feel the same. There are a lot less buzz around Control compared to QB and EGS deal. Plus Sony skipping e3 this year didn't help. But hopefully we are wrong lol. Cuz Control looks like best parts of QB plus much more exciting and crazy setting.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Some people seems to forget before 2017, the exclusives release were a bit dry... They need more studio to have a generation with good excluives game every year...

And some poeple seem to forget it's all about timing and the fact that PS4 is not BC with PS3. With PS5 being BC with PS4, there immediately will be a huge library of games and new cross-gen exclusives (Ghost, TLoU2, Death Stranding). With that said, I am expecting HZD2 within 2 years after PS5 launches and the new God of War is also well under way most likely, not to mention Knack 3, which of course will sell the system by itself.

So we most likely will have better timed content next gen and a full PS4 library that will work on PS5.

Paragraf Your words, not mine. Then again, some of the best singleplayer games (and according to the Game Awards: THE best) this and last gen are in fact Sony exclusives: Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, Uncharted TLL etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the big names. But even those can sell pretty bad. It's not a guarantee.
Gosh I will never understand the lust for exclusivity just for the sake of being exclusive on ones favourite platform.

I don't really care about Remedy so it wouldn't excite me(I have a good amount of devs rated higher than them for possible acquisition) but I do see how this could be good for THEM if it happened.

Jan 17, 2019
I think if Sony try to acquire Remedy, this is because games are long to make and the first three years of PS4 were not great from an exclusive point of view, not enough great games(Bloodborne and UC4...). And Sony close Evolutions Studio. They need to step up for having a much better PS5 first three years...

InFamous SS and First Light, MLB's, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded and some smaller games and so on were all good games in first 3 years

Edit:

Some people seems to forget before 2017, the exclusives release were a bit dry... They need more studio to have a generation with good excluives game every year...

Seems you forgot which games came out before 2017. In 2016 we got. U4, Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, Persona 5, Bound, Alienation and some VR games like Rigs and Rush Of Blood

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
I would have rather expected an Insomniac acquisition with the apparent good relationship they already have in place, although maybe they don't feel the rush with this one since it seems they already have deals in place to work on at least 2 playstation exclusives and may continue on this road.

While Remedy seem to be also heavily focused on 3th person games, I could see a fit if their PS5 games are build with VR in mind, similar to what Resident Evil 7 has done. Or is it that Sony is expecting long development times for PS5 games because wanting to keep the high quality standard, times can be even longer compared to current gen games. Maybe there is a need to fill the gaps. Or/and the potential future evolvement of PS Now vs Stadia and Xcloud, could see another blockbuster game only playable on their platform.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Maybe, or a publishing deal, or something related to their preexisting deal for Control (Sony seems to be doing marketing stuff and has timed-exclusive DLC).

Ah right, I forgot that Control has timed exclusive dlc for PS4. Yeah that's possible too.

seems like its not completely false at least:

So there's not yet reason to be sad for the PC gamers among us. Unless Sony is like MS in that they also bring it to PC, but I really doubt that. (if Sony were to acquire them)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony needs MP focused studios, since they have nothing in their stable that has longevity for the online space. I think they are pretty stacked when it comes to SP cinementic games, so Remedy would feel like more of the same.

They feel more like something MS needs but Remedy might want to stay independant.

AW remaster on all formats would be great and get more exposure for such an excellent game that needed more time in the oven.

Also, I would love to see it at 4k with RT Support for nextgen. Think of all the cool light and shadow effects they could push.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy always seems like a developer who flirts with greatness. I wonder if working with Sony would maybe help put them over the top? Sony's first party studios always seem to grow and improve...

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Why would any company that wants to publish on multiple platforms go with Sony? Plus we don't know how much MS is willing to spend to buy studios or publishers. Judging on the fact that their business model requires them to create a lot of content, I assume it will be a lot.

Well I guess they do't? Where do I say the will?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Don't know how I feel about this. Loved their Max Payne games and kinda feel like they are PC devs (even though they kinda focused on consoles the last few years).

Would love to see what they develop under Sony though.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The article adds nothing new, it's a mere rehash of the hopes and rumors around the net. With that said, I believe some people are going to regret the day they started to cheer on acquisitions by their favorite company.

Everybody can play that game, including Nintendo, which has a history of buying studios in the last years, and is rarely absent in these discussions.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I had no plans in getting a PS5, but if they release Alan Wake 2 exclusively on playstation I would actually need one.

I friggin' adore Remedy games, especially Alan Wake.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Their latest games have been pretty underwhelming. Max Payne was amazing but that was way too many years ago, I suppose this is true as they must be desperate for cash.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Control seems okay. Early Max Payne games are the only reason Remedy still excites me. But its been far too long they haven't made a game that lives up to their potential.

They do love signing exclusivity deals so this acquisition would make sense for both Sony and Remedy. Sony also seems to love their 3rd person action games.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
More of the same, but worse. I think has Remedy has the talent, but it has been a long time since they put together a truly great game. But hey Guerrilla had the same rep just a few years ago so I'm not totally down on them.

Remedy will flourish as a first party Dev no doubt. My main issue is Sony needs a Multiplayer studio if Guerrilla is truly done with Killzone. So why would you buy another Naughty Dog, SSM, Sucker Punch, Bend single player focused studio? Remedy is legit a Naughty Dog without the after thought multiplayer aspect.I get that's the strength but Jesus Christ variety is the spice of life.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Remedy will flourish as a first party Dev no doubt. My main issue is Sony needs a Multiplayer studio if Guerrilla is truly done with Killzone. So why would you buy another Naughty Dog, SSM, Sucker Punch, Bend single player focused studio? Remedy is legit a Naughty Dog without the after thought multiplayer aspect.I get that's the strength but Jesus Christ variety is the spice of life.
because they have more than enough multiplatform/GaaS focused third party developers making games for them, whats the point in going against these hundreds of millions of dollars juggrenauts when you can instead be seen as the best in the business single player developer while also having all the biggest multiplatform games from their third parties, which often also have heavy marketing deals.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Agreed. MS is currently getting a variety of studios that cover all manner of games, with SP as probably their only weak area. Sony is getting a little too focused around one area, which could stifle those teams in the long run.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I've never seen anyone mention Zoink! in these acquisition discussions, but they'd actually be a plausible candidate. They've already released a PS4 exlcusive this year in Ghost Giant, so they've already got some kind of relationship going with Sony. And if they were acquired, they could make a 3D platformer with the zany humour of Stick it to the Man and Flipping Death, instead of another, well, you know.

Feb 26, 2018
Yes I too hope Sony will start making unfinished multiplayer games than add content in year or two. GT Sport is enough

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
So why would you buy another Naughty Dog, SSM, Sucker Punch, Bend single player focused studio? Remedy is legit a Naughty Dog without the after thought multiplayer aspect.I get that's the strength but Jesus Christ variety is the spice of life.

Sony has had about 2 "big" single player games every year this gen. Is it that bad to make 3 or even 4 games like Horizon Zero Dawn every year instead of 1 or 2? I don't get the hate around Sony's approach!

Oct 25, 2017

Guerrilla is not done with shooters. Why would they hire the Rainbow Six Siege director if it to not make a really good competitive game?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Exciting rumor if it has only a hint of truth to it.

And people saying Sony needs more of X type studio and this is only more of the same, this would free up another studio to do something else and maintain the same output while expanding the variety of the portfolio. And Remedy could also try to do a MP game for Sony, they've talked about maybe doing it in the past.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why people keep saying this? There are TONS of good MP games on PS4. What kind of MP game is lacking on Sony's platform? It has to be exclusive to satisfy people on Era?
They had Resistance and Killzone not that long ago and killed them off in favour of 3rd person action adventure games. MAG and Warhawk/starhawk also would have been an amazing title to bring back and keep supporting for years. I guess it's makes sense that they would just work the SP stuff and let third parties pick up the slack.

I cannot be the only one that would love to see the effort that Sony pushes for 3rd person cinematic action games, especially tech wise but for a MP focused game? Killzone has to come back right?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Quantum Break is one of the most boring games I've played this gen, the game has terrible dialogue and writing, why would Sony think about picking them up?

Because they consider more than your opinion of one of a studio's previous games ;)

But seriously - Sony has never let less-than-stellar reception to a previous title or titles put them off a studio's potential. Guerrilla is a good example. When making acquisitions their calculus tends to revolve around either an existing relationship, or potential/belief in the team and its leadership and future development.

That's not to say I think this acquisition will happen - I've no idea. But a spotless track record of hits isn't a prerequisite.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, I thought they would make an exclusive game with them first and then maybe acquire them if things work out, but with Xbox on a spending spree and Google with Stadia now SIE can't rest on their laurels anymore.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. MS is currently getting a variety of studios that cover all manner of games, with SP as probably their only weak area. Sony is getting a little too focused around one area, which could stifle those teams in the long run.
They have Obsidian, inXile, Ninja Theory, Playground studio 2, and Double Fine to cover SP games.

On Topic:

I was a big remedy fan after Alan Wake, but QB was sort of a letdown. It was fun at first but then it got tedious. As for control the only thing I saw that was really interesting was the Ray Tracing tech they showed off. I think this would be a bad acquisition for Sony (or MS for that matter). Remedy needs time to prove themselves.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If their studios want to make singleplayer games then Sony should let them be and not force multiplayer focused titles.
Sure, they should stick to what they are good at. Hence this Remedy rumour feeling a little pointless. Must be plenty of good studios out there that can make MP focused games and share the tech that is floating around the SP focused studios.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Interesting, I thought they would make an exclusive game with them first and then maybe acquire them if things work out, but with Xbox on a spending spree and Google with Stadia now SIE can't rest on their laurels anymore.
i guess that acquiring now before they have a very successful exclusive would make them cheaper.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
because they have more than enough multiplatform/GaaS focused third party developers making games for them, whats the point in going against these hundreds of millions of dollars juggrenauts when you can instead be seen as the best in the business single player developer while also having all the biggest multiplatform games from their third parties, which often also have heavy marketing deals.

You're already the best in the business for single player titles. Why not try to get better with multiplayer for no other reason than the ability to support your own platform in every area?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Because they consider more than your opinion of one of a studio's previous games ;)

But seriously - Sony has never let less-than-stellar reception to a previous title or titles put them off a studio's potential. Guerrilla is a good example. When making acquisitions their calculus tends to revolve around either an existing relationship, or potential/belief in the team and its leadership and future development.

Exactly! And it gives Horizon Zero Dawn franchise...

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus....sony really have brainwashed y'all into buying remasters. How about just being able to play the original game upscaled for free.....

How could we do that when Alan Wake doesn't exist on the platform?!

A solid get if true, although their output goes up and down. Their games are mechanically very polished and good looking, but at the end of the day (Death Rally aside which was a different era and genre) the only games that truly satisfied me are Max Payne and Alan Wake, both released quite some years ago at this point. Max Payne 2 was ridiculously short, Quantum Break wasn't that fun, Control looks uninspired, the Alan Wake follow-up spin-off thingy American Nightmare was a dud. Happy for their financial stability if true, and if this gets closer to an Alan Wake 2 so be it, but I'm waiting for them to return to their form.

Control look uninspired?! I can't agree at all. It's a Metroidvania that looks like the successor to Psi-ops, and the premise is like some crazy X-Files or SCP shit.

This is contrary to what Insomniac has said before (I'm trying to find a link) so I think you need to back up your claim with a source.

Edit:

"Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man." Insomniac was essentially given free range to choose where they wanted to focus their energy in the Marvel universe, and they landed on Marvel's Spider-Man themselves, rather than having it assigned to them.
Read more at https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...ter-being-given-a-choice/#TpkRCPLsvClursvJ.99

Taken from post #140.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You're already the best in the business for single player titles. Why not try to get better with multiplayer for no other reason than the ability to support your own platform in every area?
when you start selling 10m units on your big AAA SP titles its pretty obvious why. they cant guarantee the same for their MP games because they never got to such a high sales point.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Would prefer more people got to experience there games then being exclusive , more people needed to play the underrated quantum break .

However I would much rather a remedy who has the budget and freedom to make what they want compared to going under .

Status
Not open for further replies.