• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
If Alan Wake 2 will be a PS5 exclusive... after so many years... i will think about Microsoft and...

giphy.gif

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can probably guess the sources they talked to, given the Remedy stuff has been making the rounds.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So if MS does these things, they are being criticized. If it's Sony, then it is a 'perfect fit' or whatever... Please apply the same standards to everybody!

Remedy is big enough and should focus on bringing their games to multiple platforms. I don't think second-party has worked well for them, they should be widening their audience.
? MS just acquired 6 studios in past 12 months. sony should also bolster their first party a little to keep with competition and not get too comfortable

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
or MS was not interested in them as they dont go well with the service model of game pass which is the main focus of xbox atm?

What does this mean exactly, that all games are going to need to be GaaS or some similar nonsense?

On topic, Remedy would be an incredible pick up for any platform holder.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I have never understood the hype that Remedy gets as a developer. A lot of their games appear to be very cool in theory but when it gets down to actually plying them they are just good games. I don't see how them being a first party studio is going to change that as they were a defacto first party studio with Microsoft. Maybe things will change with Control but to me it looks very similar to their past games.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have never understood the hype that Remedy gets as a developer. A lot of their games appear to be very cool in theory but when it gets down to actually plying them they are just good games. I don't see how them being a first party studio is going to change that as they were a defacto first party studio with Microsoft. Maybe things will change with Control but to me it looks very similar to their past games.
as mentioned the issue with control is their budget. they made a AAA game with a tiny budget and 3 years time. not bad at all i say

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
And you don't think Quantum Break would be a hell of a lot better when it was published under Sony's wings? They probably would've brought in some guys from Japan Studios, Naughty Dog, Guerilla (Decima) and Santa Monica.

Acquiring Remedy would be a big slap in the face of Microsoft. Remedy is probably a bigger name then any of the studio's they acquired.
No. More polished perhaps, but Quantum Break's key issues couldn't have been fixed with extra resource and budget. After all, Control looks like a better game and that's made with a smaller budget and less resource than QB. It's not like QB didn't have enough time in the oven either, Remedy worked on it for 6 years.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What a weird article.

They say "We've also heard from a number of sources that Sony is lining up a bid" but then their own analysis give a "Likelihood: Neutral. Remedy Entertainment has maintained its independence over the years, and so is unlikely to be particularly open to the idea of an acquisition."

They're not really contradictory - Sony may be making approaches but that doesn't tell us whether Remedy or its shareholders are open to it or not.

Anyway, we'll see.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the best acquisition. Go for a good Japanese studio instead.
Xbox can't get Yakuza when Sega is proudly claiming it to be a multiplatform franchise. Sony doesn't need to waste money on a Japanese studio when they know their games will mostly prioritize PlayStation.
Insomniac was asked which Marvel character they wanted and they chose Spider-Man. Insomniac could have made an Iron Man game. It has nothing to do with movie rights.

Oct 25, 2017
So if MS does these things, they are being criticized. If it's Sony, then it is a 'perfect fit' or whatever... Please apply the same standards to everybody!

Remedy is big enough and should focus on bringing their games to multiple platforms. I don't think second party has worked well for them, they should be widening their audience with PC/PS4/XB1 releases.

I expect Control to bomb. Expanded base does not guarantee more people are going to buy your games. Could you ever see Remedy games selling as much as Sony's top studios as things stand?

I'm not particularly keen on Remedy nor do I put much stock in this rumor, but I definitely can see how joining Sony WWS could elevate them to another tier and be very beneficial.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Remedy makes story- focused, linear 3rd person action games, exactly what sells best on playstation, so it would make sense to aquire Remedy. Give me AW 2 on ps5, pls.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. They have the talent and Sony will provide the funds and artistic freedom they need.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Good and fitting get for Sony if true. Please no more Alan Wake, that was easily their worst game and not even a success. Let them make new, fresh IPs.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They're a good fit for Sony but Id rather they stay independent. I think there should be no more acquisitions for a while from anyone unless one of two conditions are met, the studio needs help and could close or has already been pretty much making exclusive games only anyway.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You are wrong. Spiderman is exclusive because Sony has de rights for Spiderman movies. It was a trade.

Lol and where did you get that wisdom exactly? Insomniac even got to choose which Marvel character they wanted to use for this game.

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Insomniac Chose Spider-Man PS4 After Being Given a Choice by Sony and Marvel - PlayStation LifeStyle

Provided with a choice of Marvel character or universe to work on by Sony and Marvel, Insomniac Games chose Spider-Man PS4 as their project.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Now they can stop making narratively, stylistically interesting games and make some more sad dad Oscar bait like the rest of Sony first-party.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You are wrong. Spiderman is exclusive because Sony has de rights for Spiderman movies. It was a trade.

That's not the way rights work.

Activision published over a dozen Spider-man games on multiple platforms from 2000 to 2014, all while Sony had the film rights.

Don't tell people "you are wrong" and then spout bullshit.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Really curious did Remedy had money for Alan Wake IP redemption or someone gave them money ( Sony in that case )?

Remedy has always owned the IP. What happened is that it now has the publishing rights to Alan Wake the game, but it didn't pay for them; rather, Microsoft's publishing contract expired and the rights reverted to Remedy.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This conspiracy theory bullshit again? Insomniac, Marvel and Sony have all said it has nothing to do with the movies, Marvel Studios or Sony Pictures but hey, they must by lying for no reason whatsoever, right?

I'd have to look into it more. I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe a deal has happened at this point. Only that it was explored.
An acquisition or a publishing deal? The latter would make more sense to me at this stage, since Sony typically only buys studios they have established relationships with.

No. More polished perhaps, but Quantum Break's key issues couldn't have been fixed with extra resource and budget. After all, Control looks like a better game and that's made with a smaller budget and less resource than QB. It's not like QB didn't have enough time in the oven either, Remedy worked on it for 6 years.
TBH I don't think Quantum Break with Sony as a publisher would've been the Quantum Break we ended up getting. Unless it was one of the few games where the designers had a complete vision of what it'd turn out like from the very beginning, plenty of things could've had an impact on it and led them in a completely different direction. Sony may not've liked the live action cutscenes, for example.

But yeah, I think a Sony published Remedy game would be a really cool thing to see and I could easily see Remedy being pretty keen to do it. I don't think the people complaining about this realise that Remedy isn't exactly in the best situation at the moment. I doubt they'd choose to work on a bunch of CrossFire games if they could help it.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If they're financially struggling then good. If not and they can make their games being independent just fine then I'd rather they stay independent and if Sony wants then just sign them for an exclsuive.
But does Sony really need another cinematic, third-person shooter dev under its belt?
Yes. 1-2 games every year is not enough for me. I want more.
People complained about MS acquisitions? At least here most reaction were either ok or excited. I might have missed something. Do you have a link to a thread of any the acquisitions where the majority were complaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.