• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your take on Sony's decision to skip E3 this year?

• Good. It was smart of Sony to skip E3 this year

Votes: 1,137 46.1%
  • Good. E3 is outdated now anyway.

Votes: 302 12.2%
  • Bad. Even a mediocre show would have been better than no show; Sony should have attended

Votes: 769 31.2%
  • Bad. Sony could have had one of the better showsand dominated the press cycle with positive press

Votes: 258 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Sony played a master stroke. By the time their next event comes around the hype will be dialed up to 11 as we've not heard from them since E3 2018.

The hype will be dialed up for BOTH conferences mainly because of the next gen consoles, not because of any delay between E3s.

Next E3, you'll get tons of next gen first and 3rd party games, console design reveals, launch prices, launch lineup etc. That's the main promise for E3 2020.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There was nothing stopping them from having a 30 to 40 minute state of play where they could have showcased gameplay from ghost of tsushima, TLoU2, death stranding, FFVII, and whatever else they've got going at this point.
To get nothing sucks.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Love people discussing the article, but it always frustrates me when people completely disregard our site because we're focused on a single format. Yes, we're a PlayStation fansite, but I've always felt that our position puts us in a good place to criticise Sony just as much as we praise them.

And we do criticise them plenty.

Again, I'm happy for everyone to disagree with the content of the article -- it's just an opinion piece, after all. But I find it really disappointing when the argument is merely "lol Push Square bias fanboy".
People like that really have nothing much to add anyway but petty insults.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Love people discussing the article, but it always frustrates me when people completely disregard our site because we're focused on a single format. Yes, we're a PlayStation fansite, but I've always felt that our position puts us in a good place to criticise Sony just as much as we praise them.

Again, I'm happy for everyone to disagree with the content of the article -- it's just an opinion piece, after all. But I find it really disappointing when the argument is merely "lol Push Square bias fanboy".

I think the sorta dismissive tone about Xbox and then using that as a point to justify Sony's decision to skip out just sorta comes across as console war-esque stuff that I would see on a forum.

It has nothing to do with not criticising Sony.

To each their own, I just don't see a whole lot of value in it.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
99.9% of the worlds gamers probably don't even know what E3 is. Sony going or not going means nothing.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, even though it's PushSquare, they're still right. This E3 has been a waste of time and I say this as someone who loves E3. This one really sucked due to next-gen being so close.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Come on. E3 is great publicity. There is no good excuse to say Sony did the right thing by skipping E3. Please believe if Sony had enough news and content to share this year that they would be at E3. It's a slow year for them for Playstation. It's all business.

Jan 17, 2019
The hype will be dialed up for BOTH conferences mainly because of the next gen consoles, not because of any delay between E3s.

Next E3, you'll get tons of next gen first and 3rd party games, console design reveals, launch prices, launch lineup etc. That's the main promise for E3 2020.

Sony fired up media with Wired article about next-gen plans, MS didn't managed for next Xbox 2 days ago. In the end it was: "oh it's the same as PS5". Just like i said it will be last month. Now MS must read negative article from big sites like Forbes, Engadget, USgamer and so on.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the sorta dismissive tone about Xbox and then using that as a point to justify Sony's decision to skip out just sorta comes across as console war-esque stuff that I would see on a forum.

And that's perfectly fair. At least you read the article and were able to illustrate why you had a different view. You're a nice guy, Niceguydan! XD

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, it just makes it look not so bad. They could have showed up with the bare minimum and come out on top over so many conferences

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Us playstation fans although satisfied with the constant stream of quality exclusives are thirsty as fuck for another big show from Sony.

We'll be like rabbid dogs by the time E3 comes around. You'll never have seen hype like it before. The PS4 will probably have sold over 115m by then. That's a lot of interested Sony fans.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform warring
At this point Sony's Shawn Layden can squat and drop a turd at over half of Era's posters living room and they will say that Sony are geniuses.
Keep fighting the good fight guys!

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
They should have just delayed a state of play and showcased holiday games. Having nothing was a miss on taking advantage of the venue.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I agree but I wouldn't knock Microsoft's conference. It was the only one that didn't bore me and a whole bunch of games looked fucking amazing (still not over Spiritfarer btw). Also Keanu was one of my fav moments of E3 EVER

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Us playstation fans although satisfied with the constant stream of quality exclusives are thirsty as fuck for another big show from Sony.

We'll be like rabbid dogs by the time E3 comes around. You'll never have seen hype like it before. The PS4 will probably have sold over 115m by then. That's a lot of interested Sony fans.

That's a lot of people buying a console to play Fortnite. Xbox is no different. Anyone buying these consoles now won't know what E3 is.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point Sony's Shawn Layden can squat and drop a turd at over half of Era's posters living room and they will say that Sony are geniuses.
Keep fighting the good fight guys!

You keep fighting the good fight too.

I don't think it makes them look really smart, but they definitely didn't need to be there. The only way this will truly impact this year is if they put on PSX otherwise all they did was not show up on a down year.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Honestly I do not know why people think they should have shown up. It would have been a waste of everyone's time and resources given they do not want to announce anything new during this transitory period that precedes the official next gen HW reveal.

E3 is definitely not outdated but given Sony's product strategy lacks an announcement of a new service like Game Pass Ultimate, they would have been hammered by critics for showing the same games.

It is next year's E3 (if it survives leaks) that will be crown jewel event for both MS and Sony.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Don't get me wrong, Microsoft's E3 was fine but it was also nothing mind blowing. They had the chance to strike first with their new console and didn't really show anything of it other than some decent looking Halo Infinite port

Sony's E3 would be more of the same. Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima. We already know it's coming, we already know the new console is coming. It's best for them to focus on getting the megatons ready for next E3. Microsoft's conference just felt like filler. It was only long this year because they got to show all the multiplat games too. I can't say that Sony being there would have made it any better.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This E3 was unequivocally one of the worst (if not the worst one) of this generation for various reasons, with or without Sony's influence. It's not unwise to admit that it was smart for Sony to sit this one out and bring all of their dry gunpowder to the next-gen show where they'll actually be able to flex like they want to? I wouldn't say it's a bad assessment, so why denounce Push Square so confidently? Engadget and US Gamer also picked up on this.

Yeah I'd say you're completely wrong here. Not being at E3 let MS dominate and it did so pretty thoroughly. Rolling out Scarlet. Debuting dates for its exclusives and talking about the future with zero Sony interference. Pretty much the standard for allowing your competition to run wild.

I think the only reason people don't see it that way is because Sony has been so dominant this generation which really means nothing for next gen as we've seen before.
Rolled out Scarlet? They ran an overproduced segment that re-iterated what Mark Cerny said about PS5 in an interview posted online in April. They also weren't able to claim they would have the most powerful console like Phil said they were aiming to which has turned heads towards Sony. xCloud was a footnote when people were expecting a blowout. Their biggest internal games received underwhelming showings and didn't highlight the strengths of Xbox's first-party studios. Most of the dates were 2020, which means that people were immediately asking "what else do you have for 2019?". They had the chance to pre-empt and go for the jugular before Sony prepares to fully unleash their PS5 plans as well as the games they still have in the current-gen pipeline. They had the floor to themselves but didn't dominate which is the perculiar thing.

Last edited:

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Come on. E3 is great publicity. There is no good excuse to say Sony did the right thing by skipping E3. Please believe if Sony had enough news and content to share this year that they would be at E3. It's a slow year for them for Playstation. It's all business.
Then skipping E3 is the right thing.
I don't know what you are claiming.
The article doesn't say this year is great for Playstation.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think sony lost much, if anything, from not attending. Calling it smart though? That would be stretching it. Sony has games I want to see, and I didn't get to see them.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in the should've showed something camp till I actually watched the conferences. I think not showing up is better than what EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft did.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Sony probably could have hit E3 this year with:
Death Stranding playable demo, or at least that 8 minute trailer.
A longer format TLOU2 trailer.
A longer format Ghosts of Tsushima trailer.
Demos of Dreams in action, along with sneak peeks at what their creative teams are doing with the tools for full release.
More info on Concrete Genie, maybe even a playable?
Playable demo of Iron Man VR

In short at least a solid showing of first party exclusives. Then add in the 3rd party padding they had done every year prior to E3 2018 and whatever else is in the pipe ready to be announced but instead wasn't and you'd have a solid show.

Sony aren't geniuses for skipping or something, but it was the right choice. They'd be showing off a lot of titles we all already know about, they clearly have less interest in talking about next gen hardware compared to Microsoft, and they don't have any major new services features to announce.

Sony is in victory lap mode. Saving a few million dollars on an E3 event that wouldn't have moved the needle for them is the right call. Not a big deal, except for pointing out how little importance E3 specifically is to the industry now, but a minor net positive for them when they'll want to go all out when they do go public with the PS5.

I was in the should've showed something camp till I actually watched the conferences. I think not showing up is better than what EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft did.
I think MS had a good show. It was light on exclusives but it delivered where MS wants to be: as the standard barer of games as a service distribution via GamePass, showing early signs of XCloud to key people, etc.. They also have begun to paint the picture of what the road ahead looks like for their brand and the lack of Sony there let MS sweep the third party reveals on their stage.

EA could have done the only really noteworthy thing at their show (Star Wars) within MS' conference.

Ubisoft had Watch Dogs, Gods and Monsters, and UPlay+. About as a solid a year as they'd normally put up. They could have held back the new Ghost Recon a bit longer to pad the list but not shockingly empty or something.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony disrespected her fans by skipping E3... and this comes from one of the biggest and loyal fans of hers.

It was arrogant and stupid and unnecessary of them to skip the last main focused E3 for this generation.

I am a FAN, I have rights to be respected and pleased... I have the right for a press conference hell even a direct would have been fine by me, something to raise my hype in E3 because this time is our most important times as a gamers... it's truly a holiday for us, they could have made this E3 much better.
jordanlaugho6kpl.gif

Okay.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. What would be smart is not holding PSX events, not announcing games 2+ years before they ship, having a solid E3 every year. E3 above all else. Not being able to do an E3 because you pre-announced your entire PS4 lineup is not smart, is not winning.

BUT THE E3 OF DREAMS MAN!!!1!! /s

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Could we get some polls without the loaded statements? They comically reflect the OPs bias and skew results.

PurestGamer78

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious they had nothing ready to show. We already know what games are coming the rest of this generation and we've seen gameplay. It was a very smart decision imo. We already know we're going to get a Horizon 2 and God of War 2 for example . Why show up just to show up and have a half-assed show?

XRoute

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned - Console Warring
They let the door wide open so that Microsoft could show to the whole World, once again, just how incompetent they are...

It was genius!

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I honestly can't believe they don't have a little something going on outside of the convention center, like a little theater where you can check out upcoming games.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just for fair play, when you yourself admit that you are a PlayStation fansite that does seem to skew your viewpoint

As a gamer on all consoles I can't see how this was a "win" for Sony.

If that offends you, oh well

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
After Sony's abysmally paced awkward E3 last year maybe it was best they skipped....

You seeing this pushsquare? Huh!?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Sadly for many here it's too hard to admit they made a good move.
Sony disrespected her fans by skipping E3... and this comes from one of the biggest and loyal fans of hers.

They could have showed the following exclusives with trailers and gameplay demoes with a release date or even a release window would do fine:

- Death Stranding
- The Last of Us 2
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Dreams

And some other 3rd party games that are coming in the next year and a half which are A LOT.

They could have had an easily very SOLID 90 minutes show.

It was arrogant and stupid and unnecessary of them to skip the last main focused E3 for this generation.

I am a FAN, I have rights to be respected and pleased... I have the right for a press conference hell even a direct would have been fine by me, something to raise my hype in E3 because this time is our most important times as a gamers... it's truly a holiday for us, they could have made this E3 much better.

#4theplayers

Nov 1, 2017
It was smart of Sony to skip E3 because it allowed them to spend less on securing exclusive advertising. They would have come across poorly compared to Microsoft unless they were willing to spend more. Being the most popular console with the biggest/best library gives them a little room to coast. I think State of Play is working out pretty well for them so far, and E3 is probably a waste of money.

My heart says they need to have another real press conference that measures up to the E3 of dreams in terms of shocking megatons and crowd reactions, but maybe that's better served with events like PSX and the Game Awards.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not happy with Sony's choice, but it makes sense. Their upcoming games have already been announced, and everything else is next-gen. This year very much felt like a transition year for everyone besides Nintendo.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think any of the poll options reflect my thoughts on this as I don't see it as a good/bad situation...

What I do think however is that Sony is no worse off for not having attended E3.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Sony made a smart decision. Look around on social media, or read the articles of Engadget, US Gamer, Gaming Bolt, Push Square. Hell take a look at the poll here in the op. E3 this year was a disappointment. Sony did good. Final Fantasy 7 is all on the news and it's a PS exclusive. A win for Sony.